Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The theories are beginning: COVID 19 is God's punishment, usually for sexual sins or abortion.

That does not agree with the loving God I know.

I do believe in the law of natural consequences. A Harvard epidemiologist has written that thesez novel viruses are increasing because animal species are forced to seek new habitats as climate changes. The most recent novel viruses have been transmitted to mankind from bats. Because mankind has no natural immunity to these animal viruses they can be very serious.

In addition, increased pollution has made humans much more vulnerable to lung diseases. Wuhan, where this disease was first diagnosed, is China's Center for auto manufacturing. Chinese factories create so much pollution that they sometimes have to close for a week to bring the pollution down.

These two events, increased pollution and animal migration north, created a perfect storm for this deadly virus to be transmitted to humans.

In other words we are experiencing these natural consequences because of our sin, but not because of the sins people are talking about. Our sin is in our responsibility towards the environment. We are not being good stewards of God's creation. The poor are harmed most by climate change.

We need to take this warning seriously, by conserving, recycling, reusing, and developing alternative means of energy.

God would never affect a pandemic on mankind that's punishment, but he could let us experience natural consequences so we will change

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God would never affect a pandemic on mankind that's punishment, but he could let us experience natural consequences so we will change

Not entirely correct. God has used illness etc as a punishment to his people in the past, but
This is a big But.
There was always a prophet who gave warning and God's covernant with Israel was inforce, unlike today when there is no national covernants with God.

So I agree this pandemics merely a warning that our actions have consequences.
Eating bush meat exposes the water and handlers of the carcass to pathogens we don't usually encounter.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Satan tempts. God warns. I think God is warning us because we just become sinful people with taking things like abortion, homosexuality, greed, inappropriate content, lust, and more for granted. He wants us to repent and think about it so we can change our evil ways.

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And lab animals?

Lab animals where not involved
as far as I have heard.

The Wuhan wet market, where animals that ordinarily wouldn’t interact with each other, that live in terribly cramped and unhygienic quarters as they wait to be slaughtered and sold as food for people.

Like the deadly SARS and MERS viruses that
came before it, the Wuhan outbreak is believed
to have evolved from coronavirus strains that
previously only affected animals.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' response to two events of His day is interesting:

Luke 13:1 There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? 3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that God would choose to selectively punish some of the most vulnerable people in our society: the elderly, the very young, and those with respiratory conditions.

I neither believe it is the will of God that people should be using His name to blame and scapegoat others. That is not the way of Christ.

People should be extremely careful when attributing things to God.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The theories are beginning: COVID 19 is God's punishment, usually for sexual sins or abortion.

That does not agree with the loving God I know.......
Spiritually, Christianity has long understood disease, viral and otherwise, is simply a direct consequence of the fall. Those who misguidedly prognosticate about the end times deserve their anxiety but they should be held accountable for the distress they cause in others and those profiting off the drama admonished accordingly.

Scientifically, the premise COVID-19 is an adaptation is completely reasonable. If and when that becomes politicized that's the antithesis of science.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That does not agree with the loving God I know.
But God does take action against evil people.

But I don't think this coronavirus thing is meant to be a clearly understood punishment. It is a blizzard, of sorts; I am staying indoors.

we are experiencing these natural consequences because of our sin, but not because of the sins people are talking about. Our sin is in our responsibility towards the environment. We are not being good stewards of God's creation. The poor are harmed most by climate change.
But now it is no longer only related to any wet market or pollution. But now we are seeing how things can go because people are failing to follow directions, and can break rules in order to try to keep only their own selves safe and getting what they want for themselves. And their inability to follow directions can be connected with how ones have developed to choose to do as they please, and not be in submission to God and authority. So, now they can have their habit of acting independently, and not caring about others as themselves, not being able to follow directions that they don't like.

• Agree
Reactions: Qwertyui0p
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Spiritually, Christianity has long understood disease, viral and otherwise, is simply a direct consequence of the fall. Those who misguidedly prognosticate about the end times deserve their anxiety but they should be held accountable for the distress they cause in others and those profiting off the drama admonished accordingly.

Scientifically, the premise COVID-19 is an adaptation is completely reasonable. If and when that becomes politicized that's the antithesis of science.
I don't think those who profit unjustly will be admonished, if anything they have been prmoted so far, and encouraged.
Later, God will execute His Right Judgment, right !?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,309.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Satan tempts. God warns. I think God is warning us because we just become sinful people with taking things like abortion, homosexuality, greed, inappropriate content, lust, and more for granted. He wants us to repent and think about it so we can change our evil ways.
I am just curious...just as I was on 9/11. People said that was God's punishment for abortion, but if it was, why was the target the center of finance in NYC, home to dozens of brokerage firms, investment banks, venture capitalists, and insurance companies? Why did it target a building in a part of NYC where many Jewish people were employed? It makes no sense.
Similarly, here, there is absolutely no connection between the acts you mention and the coronavirus, but there IS a strong connection between our destruction of the earth due to greed and irresponsible use of the world's resources.
Good parents are told not to "punish," but to sometimes allow children to experience "natural consequences." These are natural consequences of our foolishness. But if preachers are preaching the wrong message, that this event is due to abortion and homosexuality, people will not make the necessary natural connection to address this natural consequence.
While at home, think about conserving energy. Taking shorter showers. Turning off lights and unplugging unused appliances. Taking fewer car trips. Taking advantage of natural light sources. That is the change of heart that we need.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think those who profit unjustly will be admonished, if anything they have been prmoted so far, and encouraged.
Sadly, this is all too true.
Later, God will execute His Right Judgment, right !?
That's what Jesus and Paul said (Mt. 12:36, Rom. 14:12). I'm pretty sure at least one of them knew what he was talking about ;).

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I recommend reading Pope Francis' encyclical on the environment, Laudato Si? It deals with much of what I said in Chapter 5 and is available on PDF below. Before becoming a priest, Pope Francis was a chemistry teacher, and in this encyclical he combines science and theology and social justice concerns.[link removed to save space]
Slight correction:

"...in this encyclical he combines science and [Marxist] theology and [Marxist] social justice concerns."

Not only is Pope Francis a former chemistry teacher but he was raised theologically within the Marxist influence then prevalent in South America. The Roman Catholic Church (RCC) as a very, very looonng tradition of social justice that has always been substantively different than that couched in class conflict. One of the core differences is the move away from the Church as the chief agent of social change to secular government as that agent. One of the chief areas of notable visible conflict between the two paradigms is abortion. The RCC commendably remains opposed to abortion as a means of birth control while secular social justice considers abortion a means of empowerment.

Upvote 0