✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here you go..
That was a concise refresher, thank you.

He suggests at the end that God can be 100% sovereign and humanity 100% free to choose. He's honest to say that is difficult for us to understand, but I haven't heard an argument that makes sense of that so I simply remain unconvinced on that particular point for now and probably forever. Seems to be one of those things that only God could make sense of.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, that makes sense to me. It doesn't seem that omniscience and free will go together.

I think that the concept of "omniscience" is related to prophecy. God, through the prophets, has foretold what he is going to bring about in the future. Fulfilled prophecy isn't the result of 'lucky guesses' but of the confluence of events that have been guided by God for a specific purpose.

• Informative
Reactions: Gene Parmesan
Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think that the concept of "omniscience" is related to prophecy. God, through the prophets, has foretold what he is going to bring about in the future. Fulfilled prophecy isn't the result of 'lucky guesses' but of the confluence of events that have been guided by God for a specific purpose.
Understood. Yes, if you don't believe that God knows what will happen, the story of the Flood and many other stories make a lot more sense. And I have not found a scripture that really supports total omniscience. Just things that say He knows more than we can understand or measure.

Your interpretation, right or wrong or unknowable, seems different from most of the Christians I know and the teachings I grew up with. It's nice to get your perspective.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate you helping me try to make sense of all this.

So is it true that man's will can override God's will? Or wouldn't it be the case that anything man does outside of God's will can only occur if God allows it? And if that's only the case when God allows it, wouldn't that still be within His will?
Ok, I think I see the problem here. God allowing and God willing are two very different things. God allows many things that aren't his will because he wants a real relationship with people. If he forces his will on us, that's not a relationship, it's just slavery. God wills that we be conformed to the image of Jesus. But we, in our own will, obstruct that process. It doesn't stop being God's will because he allows us to sin.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I think I see the problem here. God allowing and God willing are two very different things. God allows many things that aren't his will because he wants a real relationship with people. If he forces his will on us, that's not a relationship, it's just slavery. God wills that we be conformed to the image of Jesus. But we, in our own will, obstruct that process. It doesn't stop being God's will because he allows us to sin.
Thanks. And thank you for your patience with me. This is a concept I struggle to understand. Because if God can and does intervene, not intervening becomes something He actively chooses, right? I think I can make sense of it if God set everything in motion without foreknowledge and the power to change things. But once those items are introduced, I just can't grasp how everything that happens isn't His will. Granting that his will may be to simply let things play out and all of our choices are free. If He could do otherwise, then what is is His will. I think.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. And thank you for your patience with me. This is a concept I struggle to understand. Because if God can and does intervene, not intervening becomes something He actively chooses, right? I think I can make sense of it if God set everything in motion without foreknowledge and the power to change things. But once those items are introduced, I just can't grasp how everything that happens isn't His will. Granting that his will may be to simply let things play out and all of our choices are free. If He could do otherwise, then what is is His will. I think.
I understand, I've been there.
Many people will say "God is sovereign but man has free will, and how it works is a mystery" and leave it at that.
But I had to delve deeper into it. I'm somewhere close to classic arminianism, but not in the part about God looking through the corridors of time to see what we will do in the future.
With a touch of molinism, which says this is the best of all possible worlds, I see it as the best overall for divine and human satisfaction, although still deeply broken.
God allowed it to be this way so that he could save us, and have interactive relationship, IMO. If he had never allowed freedom, we would have never sinned, but would we really desire God at all or only obey because we have no other choice?
I do believe God knows the future in full. I tried being an open theist but it didn't really take.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I understand, I've been there.
Many people will say "God is sovereign but man has free will, and how it works is a mystery" and leave it at that.
But I had to delve deeper into it. I'm somewhere close to classic arminianism, but not in the part about God looking through the corridors of time to see what we will do in the future.
With a touch of molinism, which says this is the best of all possible worlds, I see it as the best overall for divine and human satisfaction, although still deeply broken.
God allowed it to be this way so that he could save us, and have interactive relationship, IMO. If he had never allowed freedom, we would have never sinned, but would we really desire God at all or only obey because we have no other choice?
I do believe God knows the future in full. I tried being an open theist but it didn't really take.
Thank you for sharing your perspective!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If "The Flood" was a literal event that happened, was the need to start over the result of things not going according to God's Will? Or was The Flood always a part of God's plan?

If you read Genisis, you see that God was sorry he had made man.

Gen 6:5-7 And the Lord saw that the sin of man was great on the earth, and that all the thoughts of his heart were evil. And the Lord had sorrow because he had made man on the earth, and grief was in his heart. And the Lord said, I will take away man, whom I have made, from the face of the earth, even man and beast and that which goes on the earth and every bird of the air; for I have sorrow for having made them.

This shows us that to a degree, God was surprised at how bad man had become. This shows us that a) man has free will, b) man is not controlled by God.

However, it would appear from Scripture that God does in fact preplan many things. Whether a flood scenario was prepanned or not we do not know.

The idea that "everything is preplanned" is a Calvinistic idea, that is taken from a few passages in the Bible, but in my opinion, is not supported by remaining scripture. I discuss it here Is Predestination real? | Everybody Matters Ministry as for "what God's plan was", it was not to damn everyone who died in the flood, see here Why did God us a flood in the day of Noah

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you read Genisis, you see that God was sorry he had made man.

Gen 6:5-7 And the Lord saw that the sin of man was great on the earth, and that all the thoughts of his heart were evil. And the Lord had sorrow because he had made man on the earth, and grief was in his heart. And the Lord said, I will take away man, whom I have made, from the face of the earth, even man and beast and that which goes on the earth and every bird of the air; for I have sorrow for having made them.

This shows us that to a degree, God was surprised at how bad man had become. This shows us that a) man has free will, b) man is not controlled by God.

However, it would appear from Scripture that God does in fact preplan many things. Whether a flood scenario was prepanned or not we do not know.

The idea that "everything is preplanned" is a Calvinistic idea, that is taken from a few passages in the Bible, but in my opinion, is not supported by remaining scripture. I discuss it here Is Predestination real? | Everybody Matters Ministry
The passages were God seems to be genuinely surprised, or regretful, or reactionary (like the one you quoted here) are what make me question this "all-knowing" or "omniscient" narrative that is so common. It makes it seem like God can make a mistake, which to a lot of folks would be a blasphemous statement.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The passages were God seems to be genuinely surprised, or regretful, or reactionary (like the one you quoted here) are what make me question this "all-knowing" or "omniscient" narrative that is so common. It makes it seem like God can make a mistake, which to a lot of folks would be a blasphemous statement.

Yes, you are correct. The idea of "all-knowing", although a nice idea is not supported by scripture. God is certainly very powerful, in comparison to a man. Having created the earth in 7 days. But in order to have free will, God can not know every step a person or people will take.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God can however "forknow", events, and peoples. As I discuss here Is Predestination real? | Everybody Matters Ministry

I mention in that article Artificial Intelligence, and how there is a branch of it where a computer can know all possible outcomes in a constrained system where you involve free will choices. Basically, it means that if God puts limits on us he can "foreknow" every action that can potentially occur. So he could foreknow that a flood may be necessary at a point in time. But he would be hoping it did not come to that point.

Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are correct. The idea of "all-knowing", although a nice idea is not supported by scripture. God is certainly very powerful, in comparison to a man. Having created the earth in 7 days. But in order to have free will, God can not know every step a person or people will take.
That makes sense. I cannot square an all-knowing and all-powerful God with Free Will. Though, if I can be honest, I haven't found a scenario where absolute Free Will can exist. But that's another topic. Thanks for your perspective!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If "The Flood" was a literal event that happened, was the need to start over the result of things not going according to God's Will? Or was The Flood always a part of God's plan?
It seems to me the text is telling us the answer to that actually(!) --

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

At first it's hard to really take it in, and the words can slip past unless we really look... "every inclination" !.... "only evil" !.... "all the time" !.... (it's so extreme)

That means...zero love. None at all. Not even sometimes.

6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

There's your answer.

7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

(whew!)
We're still here. :)

So, as you can see, God gave us a genuine freedom (and that of course means we can do actual evil as well as good!).

• Informative
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cannot square an all-knowing and all-powerful God with Free Will.
Ah, yes, a key question. There's an answer, but a first part is just considering that of course a real freedom means of course freedom to do evil as well as freedom to do good. A freedom to do only good would be an illusory freedom or faked freedom. And, for love to be possible, as we know it, a real freedom of individual response is required. So, for love to be possible, evil must come into existence, and there's not any other way. We have to learn about evil, or to trust God basically, to help us be able to live in an eternal life without just eventually sliding down into conflict and then war or murder eventually, and so on. (and scripture seems to tell us there was in fact a war in heaven and that's how the brightest of the angels fell. It was from not trusting God, ultimately. If he had trusted God, then the situation would have went differently instead of sliding into conflict, we can surmise.)

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Calvin himself acknowledge that "God permits much which He does not approve" in his commentary on Numbers, actually. My take on this is that God knows what's in people's heart, how they will act on it, and what will be the consequences of those actions, and he is able to use his powers to stop them from acting on their evil deeds, but occasionally he chooses not to, and allows people to do what they want.

God's sovereignty includes his freedom to choose not to interfere on human affairs even during times when people might expect or even want him to.

I think a lot of the confusion that comes from the Sovereignty vs. Free will debates comes from the fact that people confuse freedom and autonomy: Freedom indicates a choice that is made voluntarily, according to the chooser's strongest desire(s), after they've considered all the factors involved in the various options; autonomy implies a choice that is made without any outside influece apart from the self, which is impossible even if you take God out of the equation--because whether by nature (e.g. DNA) or nurture (e.g. education, upbringing), our choices are always influenced by factors that's beyond our control.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me the text is telling us the answer to that actually(!) --

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

At first it's hard to really take it in, and the words can slip past unless we really look... "every inclination" !.... "only evil" !.... "all the time" !.... (it's so extreme)

That means...zero love. None at all. Not even sometimes.

6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

There's your answer.

7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

(whew!)
We're still here. :)

So, as you can see, God gave us a genuine freedom (and that of course means we can do actual evil as well as good!).

Right. Do you then believe that things didn't go according to His plan? Does regret imply that God made a mistake? If not a mistake, then was the outcome of "only evil" "all of the time" and the Flood simply a necessary course that had to be taken for what He wanted to accomplish from the very beginning?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. Do you then believe that things didn't go according to His plan? Does regret imply that God made a mistake? If not a mistake, then was the outcome of "only evil" "all of the time" and the Flood simply a necessary course that had to be taken for what He wanted to accomplish from the very beginning?

It's a deep topic, and I try to explain one of the most key aspects of this in post #34 above, and so please see that.

.... (ok, assuming you've read the key part from post #34 now...)

There isn't an alternative way to have done things that could avoid evil happening, if one wants to have beings with agency (ability to chose and act) and thus an ability to do love as we know it.
( To define evil, an elegant way is to just point out it is the breaking of this proactive full form golden rule: Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.)

So, since for love to be at all possible, evil must also be possible (and thus will happen), then (we read that) God planned ahead of time for how to redeem/cleanse/restore/rescue those that fall into evil (which is a very high portion of all people that grow into adulthood, perhaps like 99%+).

From the texts, we learn God planned for our rescue even before we arose on Earth:

17Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
1 Peter 1 NIV

So, there you have it: evil could not be avoided in any possible way, but is part of existence, and God planned for how to rescue us from evil, ahead of time.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvin himself acknowledge that "God permits much which He does not approve" in his commentary on Numbers, actually. My take on this is that God knows what's in people's heart, how they will act on it, and what will be the consequences of those actions, and he is able to use his powers to stop them from acting on their evil deeds, but occasionally he chooses not to, and allows people to do what they want.

God's sovereignty includes his freedom to choose not to interfere on human affairs even during times when people might expect or even want him to.

I think a lot of the confusion that comes from the Sovereignty vs. Free will debates comes from the fact that people confuse freedom and autonomy: Freedom indicates a choice that is made voluntarily, according to the chooser's strongest desire(s), after they've considered all the factors involved in the various options; autonomy implies a choice that is made without any outside influece apart from the self, which is impossible even if you take God out of the equation--because whether by nature (e.g. DNA) or nurture (e.g. education, upbringing), our choices are always influenced by factors that's beyond our control.
You might be interested in posts #34 and#37, addressing some key questions/aspects also.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God can however "forknow", events, and peoples. As I discuss here Is Predestination real? | Everybody Matters Ministry

I mention in that article Artificial Intelligence, and how there is a branch of it where a computer can know all possible outcomes in a constrained system where you involve free will choices. Basically, it means that if God puts limits on us he can "foreknow" every action that can potentially occur. So he could foreknow that a flood may be necessary at a point in time. But he would be hoping it did not come to that point.
Some additional aspects: God can easily see what direction an individual is heading in and there's a foreknowledge of a key kind: to know where someone is going -- what the outcome is over time -- if they don't change course.

Then He can of course intervene! to bring about His chosen outcome, as scripture shows happening over and over and over, throughout the bible. So, we know both that He can see where we are heading (if we don't change course) and can intervene to alter what's happening the change the direction of things.

Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some additional aspects: God can easily see what direction an individual is heading in and there's a foreknowledge of a key kind: to know where someone is going -- what the outcome is over time -- if they don't change course.

Then He can of course intervene! to bring about His chosen outcome, as scripture shows happening over and over and over, throughout the bible. So, we know both that He can see where we are heading (if we don't change course) and can intervene to alter what's happening the change the direction of things.
Thanks for this. I was replying to your other post but it only sort of addresses things as I've never asked why evil exists or why doesn't God stop evil. I'm not interested in that question. I'm asking if when God created man He knew what was going to happen and that The Flood would be necessary from the very beginning. From this reply I don't think that's what you believe. Mostly just that He would need to rescue us at some point.

I do want to talk about God knowing what path we are on if we don't change our path but that'll take us offtopic into FreeWillLand.
:waaah:

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0