GOD'S PEOPLE ARE TO BE A ROYAL PRIESTHOOD?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am sorry dear friend but I respectfully disagree. I have provided Gods' Word that are not my words but Gods' Word and they speak for themselves and yes I do believe God's Spirit bears witness to Gods' Words that have been shared with you that they are the only standard of what truth is as Gods' Spirit is the Spirit of the Word of truth (John 17:17; John 6:63). It is the scriptures therefore under God's Spirit (John 16:13; John 7:17) that are the only test of what is true and what is not true. We are told by Jesus and the Apostles that in the last days there shall be many false teachers coming in to deceive if possible God's very elect (Matthew 24:24; 2 Peter 2:1-3) and we know that this was starting even in Paul's day and would continue which Paul further warns us about in Acts of the Apostles 20:29. Every scripture reference you provided we examined in detail and there was not one of them that supported what you were claiming earlier so there is not much point in providing repetition here in regards to the great commission and everything else you have stated here. All of God's Word are for all those who seek to believe and follow it. This is the only true definition of the true Church of God according to the scriptures and the only test and what is truth and what is not.

Take Care.

God’s Word is Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
What, if anything, does this have to do with the OP: "God's people are to be a royal priesthood"?

Because the post I replied to alleged in response to a discussion of priesthood and the Catholic Church that the Roman Catholic Church follows Pagan doctrines, and I am tired of hearing that.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because Ellen G. White wrote books that convinced people otherwise, at least with regards to the Fourth Commandment, and they formed a denomination which teaches that as part of its doctrine?

a) I don't follow your thinking. What does anything that Ellen G. White wrote have to do with the OP?
b) The Fourth Commandment is about the Sabbath. The OP is about a royal priesthood.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I wrote that the "problem" with a lot of people is the word "priesthood" and misunderstanding that we're not talking about a Christian version of the Old Testament Hebrew priests.

What is untrue -- a single word answer -- about my post?

@Albion wrote that. You wrote “Unless you’re a Catholic.” I reject that assumption.

a) I don't follow your thinking. What does anything that Ellen G. White wrote have to do with the OP?
b) The Fourth Commandment is about the Sabbath. The OP is about a royal priesthood.

I read your reply out of context, and have blown that post away.

The Bible is what is usually referred to as God's Word. That is clearly what LoveGodsWord meant in the post.

Every place in Scripture where the phrase “God’s Word” appears can be applied Christologically, to the Only Begotten Son and Word of God, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This point requires reiteration whenever we see the use of the term Word of God exclusively in reference to the Scriptures and not Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
@Albion wrote that. You wrote “Unless you’re a Catholic.” I reject that assumption.

Because the Royal Priesthood we as Christians comprise is not taken away if we fail to keep the ten commandments (everyone does).

Every place in Scripture where the phrase “God’s Word” appears can be applied Christologically, to the Only Begotten Son and Word of God, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This point requires reiteration whenever we see the use of the term Word of God exclusively in reference to the Scriptures and not Christ.

You wrote "This point requires reiteration whenever we see the use of the term Word of God exclusively in reference to the Scriptures and not Christ". How did you manage to invent that rule? 1 Peter 4:11a, "Whoever speaks, let it be with God’s words". Are there, according to you, multiple Christs?

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A ROYAL PRIESTHOOD?

Hi all, according to the scriptures we are to be a Royal Priesthood and a holy nation. What do these scriptures mean? From what I can see through the scriptures it means that we are to be believers and followers of Gods' Word and be living ministers of the Word of God to all those around us.

THE ROYAL PRIESTHOOD IS TO BE HOLY?

1 Peter 2:5 You also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who has called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE HOLY?

The Greek word used here describing the the Royal Priesthood as Holy is ἅγιος (hágios | G40) and means to be set apart, sinless (without sin) pure, upright and morally blameless,

Romans 7:12 says that God's 10 commandments are holy (ἅγιος (hágios | G40). Therefore obedience to God's commandments is the standard of holiness and the Royal Priesthood is obedient to God's commandments not disobedient to God's commandments which is the opposite of holy to unholy and unrighteous.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE UNHOLY?

The opposite of holy is unholy which is ἀνόσιος (anósios | G462) which means to be wicked or disobedient to God's law and Word and those who live this lifestyle receive the reward of the wicked

1 Timothy 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for murderers,

2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

SIN IS LINKED TO BEING UNHOLY?

Hebrews 10:26-29 [26], For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, [27], But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. [28], He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: [29], Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, with which he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite to the Spirit of grace?

Revelation 22:11-15 [11], He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. [12], And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. [13], I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. [14], Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. [15], For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and fornicators, and murderers, and idolaters, and whoever loves and makes a lie.

SIN IS BREAKING GOD'S LAW AND NOT BELIEVING AND FOLLOWING GOD'S WORD

According to the scriptures, sin in the scripture is linked to being unholy while to be holy is linked to being obedient to God's law and word. Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods' 10 commandments and not believing and following God's Word *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 and James 2:10-11.

GOD'S SAINTS ARE TO BE HOLY. SAME GREEK WORD USED FOR SAINTS AND HOLY

This is demonstrated further in Revelation 14:12 where the same Greek word for Holy (ἅγιος (hágios | G40) is used to describe Gods' saints who keep Gods' commandments where it says that Gods' saints (ἅγιος (hágios | G40) keep all the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 14:12 [12], Here is the patience of the saints: (ἅγιος (hágios | G40; Holy) here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus

Therefore holiness is directly linked to obedience to God's commandments according to the scriptures just the same as the Royal Priesthood.

WHAT IS THE DUTY OF THE ROYAL PRIESTHOOD?

The duty of the holy Royal Priesthood in the scriptures therefore are to be ministers of righteousness (moral right doing) and holiness in obedience to God's law and His Word. According to the scriptures, God's 10 commandments are the very standard of righteousness to God and man as it is written, "my tongue shall speak of your word all your commandments are righteousness *Psalms 119:172.

So it is God's commandments that are the very standard of moral right doing and holiness for without which no man shall see God *Hebrews 12:14. According to the scripture the Priesthood is defiled if the Priests practice sin and the Royal Priesthood is not in unrighteousness and unholiness but in holiness *1 Peter 2:5-9. So to claim we are a Royal Priesthood while breaking any one of God's 10 commandments which is both our duty of love to God and our fellow man is a claim that is not biblical.

RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH AND THE WARNINGS OF HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4

God's law is not fulfilled in Christ so that we are now free to break Gods' law. According to the scriptures if we break anyone of God's commandments we stand guilty before God of sin *1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11. Hebrews 3:7 to Hebrews 4:1-11 is a warning therefore not to sin against God and to believe and follow God's Word not to disobey God's commandments and not believe His Word. This is why the people of God did not enter into God's "seventh day" Sabbath rest although it was created from the foundation of the world *Hebrews 3:7-8; 10-13; 18-19; Hebrews 4:1-6; 9-11. So to try and separate the Royal priesthood from holiness to which the scriptures link it to which is obedience to God's law and His Word and claim that we are Gods Royal Priesthood while being disobedient to God's law and not believing and following God's Word in unholiness and sin it not biblical according to the scriptures. Therefore I believe according to the scriptures that God's people being a Royal Priesthood means to be minister the Word of God in righteousness and holiness to all those we come in contact with.

What are your thoughts? What does it mean to be a Royal Priesthood to you?

God bless.

All that of course means NOT TEACHING AGAINST THIS NEW TESTAMENT DOCTRINE...

Col 2:14-17
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
KJV

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
You wrote "This point requires reiteration whenever we see the use of the term Word of God exclusively in reference to the Scriptures and not Christ". How did you manage to invent that rule? 1 Peter 4:11a, "Whoever speaks, let it be with God’s words". Are there, according to you, multiple Christs?

In 1 Peter, St. Peter refers explicitly to the written word by using the plural form. Scripture as a whole is an icon of Christ, and so the partial interchangeability between the written word as a whole, and Christ, must be emphasized, for the written word is our primary source of inspired revelation about the Incarnate Word.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟331,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is what is usually referred to as God's Word. That is clearly what LoveGodsWord meant in the post.
Ironically not in Scripture. When Scripture refers to itself, it uses the Greek work graphē, which is used more than 50 times in the New Testament and is always translated as “scripture.”

When Scripture uses the term "word of God," the logos, it primarily refers to Christ. John 1:1-3, 14, Hebrews 4:12-16, Revelation 19:13 are just a few examples.

It also refers to the oral teaching of the apostles (Acts 4:31, 13:5, 13:46).

And it even refers to the Church (Acts 6:7, 12:24).

Referring to Sacred Scripture as the "word of God" is actually a product of Sacred Tradition, not Sacred Scripture. Somewhat ironicallly.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not under law but under grace. Why is that so difficult to understand?
I totally agree! At the same time, I also want to use the vocabulary and approaches that the person I'm talking with is using.

It's kind of like when Paul was in the synagogue talking to the Jews, he probably reasoned from the old testament. But in Athens on Mars Hill, he reasons from the Greek poets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello narnia,

Hi LoveGodsWord,

I'm assuming here that you're actually intending to write to me :)

I agree with a lot of your post here. The other question that might be worth considering is does following the Spirit of the law (from the heart) result in obedience to the letter of the law?

Well, assuming that Leviticus 27:32 is part of God's eternal law
(it was said to be by someone who frequently agrees with you)
then to me the answer is an obvious No, following the Spirit of the law from the heart does not result in obedience to the letter of the law.

I do not feel led to do something special with every 10th animal.

But how does it look to you? Do you do something with every 10th animal?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
LoveGodsWord said: Hello narnia (Should be Leaf apologies; now corrected in original post), I agree with a lot of your post here. The other question that might be worth considering is does following the Spirit of the law (from the heart) result in obedience to the letter of the law?
Your response...
Hi LoveGodsWord,
I'm assuming here that you're actually intending to write to me :) Well, assuming that Leviticus 27:32 is part of God's eternal law (it was said to be by someone who frequently agrees with you) then to me the answer is an obvious No, following the Spirit of the law from the heart does not result in obedience to the letter of the law. I do not feel led to do something special with every 10th animal. But how does it look to you? Do you do something with every 10th animal?
Yes sorry Leaf the post was for you. I got distracted I think talking to someone else. I do not understand your post here. How does this answer anything in the post you are quoting from? - It doesn't. You say in your earlier post that I was responding to....
The answer I give to the question you pose here "So with that in mind can we be a part of God's Royal Priesthood if we are knowingly breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments?" is No, we must practice keeping God's ten commandments. But do we keep all of God's eternal commandments in principle or by the letter?
So you say here that you agree we cannot be a part of God's Royal Priesthood if we do not obey God's 10 commandments which I agree. How can you keep the Spirit of the law without keeping the letter of the law? You cannot can you? Although of course we can keep the letter of the law like the Scribes and the Pharisees did and be like dead mans bones but this is not the new covenant's promise of the Spirit though is it. Answering your question though in regards to tithe without getting too far off topic. I do not have any sheep or increase from other things. According to God's Word increase can also be turned into income and tithed that way *Deuteronomy 14:22-25. Also, tithe relating to farming under the old covenant were also used for offerings and Feasts unto the Lord *Deuteronomy 14:27-29; Numbers 18:25-32

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All that of course means NOT TEACHING AGAINST THIS NEW TESTAMENT DOCTRINE...

Col 2:14-17
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
KJV

According God's Word. Everyone of God's 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament (scriptures here) including Gods' 4th commandment. According to the scriptures the role of God's 10 commandments have the same role they always had and that is to give us the knowledge of good (moral right doing) and evil (moral wrong doing); sin (moral wrong doing) and righteousness (moral right doing) *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172.

According to James if we break anyone of them we stand guilty before God of sin *James 2:10-11 as sin is defined in the scriptures as the transgression of Gods' law *1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11 and not believing and following God's Word *Romans 14:23. The role of God's law is to show us that we are all sinners in need of God's grace and salvation from our sins and to lead us to Christ that we might be forgiven through faith *Galatians 3:22-25.

If there is no law there is no knowledge of what sin is. If we have no knowledge of what sin is than we have no need of a savior from sin for it is written "They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick but go you and learn what that means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." *Matthew 9:12-13. If we have no need of a Savior then we have no salvation and are lost in our sins.

Of course God's 10 commandments includes God's 4th commandment which is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is under the new testament scriptures *Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; James 2:10-11.

Colossians 2:14-17 is not talking about God's 10 commandments or is it talking about God's 4th commandment being a shadow of things to come. According to the scripture context in Colossians 2:16 Paul is quoting old testament scripture from Ezekiel 45:17 [17], And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

The context of Colossians 2:16 being a shadow of things to come is to the meat and the drink offerings, the new moons and the sabbaths (plural GNP) in the Feast days being a shadow of things to come. Under the old covenant there were many different kinds of sabbaths. These sabbaths included days of holy convocation that is days of no work which is one of the meaning of the Greek word sabbaton (G4521 σάββατον a day of weekly rest from work).

These annual ceremonial sabbaths in the Feast days included; (1) the normal seventh day Sabbath as a holy convocation or calling out to a public meeting at a sacred place *Leviticus 23:3 (2) Feast of Unleavened Bread (first and last day) *Leviticus 23:6-8 (3) Feast of Trumpets *Leviticus 23:24-25 (4) Day of Atonement *Leviticus 23:27-32 (4) Feast of Booths *Leviticus 23:34-36 (5) Feast of First Fruits *Leviticus 23:39 (5) Feast days of Holy convocation of no work (sabbaton Colossians 2:16 *Leviticus 23:7-8; 21;24; 27; 35-36).

These are the plural application to the annual ceremonial sabbaths in the Feast days. Therefore no more sabbaths in the Feast days as the Feast days and their sabbaths and meat and drink offerings and new moons were shadows of thing to come pointing to the role of Jesus in the new covenant. This does not mean God's 4th commandment is no longer Gods' 4th commandment of the 10 commandments which is outside of the Feast days and every seventh day of the week.

God's 4th commandment points backwards to the finished work of creation (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11) not forwards to things to come. Colossians 2:16 is referring to the sabbaths (plural) in the annual Feast days not "the Sabbath" (singular) of God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments outside of the annual Feast days which is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken in the new testament *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4. According to James in James 2:10-11 if we break anyone of Gods' 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello narnia, I know this was to someone else. I hope you do not mind me making a few comments.
The promise was made to the apostles that the Holy Spirit would guide them to all truth, not all believers (John 16:13).
According to the scriptures "All scripture" (not some scripture) is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness in 2 Timothy 3:16 and once again in the very words of Jesus, Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Therefore, Gods Word is not just for the Apostles but for all those who seek to believe and follow Jesus and God the farther. According to the scriptures, God's promise of His Spirit to be our guide and teacher is a part of Gods' new covenant promise for all of Gods' people as shown in Hebrews 8:11 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and is repeated to all those who seek to follow God through his Word in John 14:26; John 16:13; John 7:17; 1 John 2:27 and Hebrews 8:10-12. As it is written in the very words of Jesus in John 8:31-32 If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed; And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. All God's promises, commands and commission therefore are not given solely to the Apostles but to everyone that believes and follows God's Word. To state otherwise is simply not biblical. I can make the same argument that you are trying to make here by saying that everything written in the gospels were written to the Jews therefore not for gentile believers. Do you think that statement is true? – Of course not! “All these things are written for our admonition upon who the ends of the world have come *1 Corinthians 10:11.
The citation from 1 Peter 2:9 is quoting the Old Covenant promise made to the nation of Israel that they would be a nation of priests (Exodus 19:5-6). In the Old Covenant there was the high priest (Aaron), the ministerial priesthood (Aaron and his sons) and the priesthood of the nation of Israel. That is fulfilled in the New Covenant with Christ as our high priest, the ordained ministerial priesthood, and the priesthood of the believer.
Peter in 1 Peter 2:9 is applying the promise *Exodus 19:5-6 of the Royal Priesthood to new covenant believers. God's Israel is simply a name given by God to all those who believe and follow God's Word. Under the new covenant God's Israel are no longer all those in the flesh born of the seed of Abraham but are now all those who have been born of the Spirit according to God's new covenant promise *Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:27-28; Romans 2:28-29; 1 John 3:6-9; Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27. Therefore 1 Peter 2:9 from Exodus 19:5-6 is simply the fulfillment of these scriptures in the new covenant applied to Gods' Israel who are all those who believe and follow God's Word. The Levitical Priesthood under the new covenant is fulfilled in Christ according to Hebrews 7:1-25 who is the head and the body which is the Church. Therefore, in the new covenant God's royal priesthood are all those who believe and follow God's Word.
And yes, there is a teaching authority established in the New Testament. Over and over again we are told about it.
Agreed, but God’s Word according to the scriptures is for all of God’s people not some of them and we are to believe and follow them *Matthew 4:4; 2 Timothy 3:16; 1 Corinthians 10:11.
”Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.’” (Matthew 28:16-20
I highlighted in red what I believe your missing from the scriptures that you posted here. The commission to the disciples of Jesus was “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. The disciples were not going to make disciples of themselves they were to go and make more disciples for Jesus teaching them what Jesus taught them and to observe all things that Jesus taught them. These are the very words of Jesus verbatim. So everything Jesus taught and commanded the first disciples are a part of the great commission that all disciples are given to follow the great commission of salvation through God's grace and love to all mankind and is the calling of all Gods' Royal Priesthood.

Take Care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟331,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello narnia, I know this was to someone else. I hope you do not mind me making a few comments.

According to the scriptures "All scripture" (not some scripture) is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness in 2 Timothy 3:16 and once again in the very words of Jesus, Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Therefore, Gods Word is not just for the Apostles but for all those who seek to believe and follow Jesus and God the farther. According to the scriptures, God's promise of His Spirit to be our guide and teacher is a part of Gods' new covenant promise for all of Gods' people as shown in Hebrews 8:11 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and is repeated to all those who seek to follow God through his Word in John 14:26; John 16:13; John 7:17; 1 John 2:27 and Hebrews 8:10-12. As it is written in the very words of Jesus in John 8:31-32 If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed; And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. All God's promises, commands and commission therefore are not given solely to the Apostles but to everyone that believes and follows God's Word. To state otherwise is simply not biblical. I can make the same argument that you are trying to make here by saying that everything written in the gospels were written to the Jews therefore not for gentile believers. Do you think that statement is true? – Of course not! “All these things are written for our admonition upon who the ends of the world have come *1 Corinthians 10:11.

Your comments are certainly welcome. I’m breaking this up into multiple posts for easier readability.

The question is not whether or not the Scriptures are for all of us – of course they are. The question is who is to use them for “reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness”? Paul did not write that to a community of believers. He wrote it to Timothy, who was ordained by Paul (2 Timothy 1:6-7), had the authority to ordain others(1 Timothy 5:22), worked alongisde him in ministry, and was instructed by Paul to teach the faith (1 Timothy 1:3, 1 Timothy 4:11-16, 1 Timothy 6:2-4, 1 Timothy 6:20-21, 2 Timothy 1:13-14, 2 Timothy 2:2, 14-15). Church history teaches us that Timothy was the first bishop of Ephesus. As Paul writes down in his instructions for bishops, “he must hold firm to the sure word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.” (Titus 1:9)

Scripture can enlighten us, guide us, inspire us and convict us of personal truths. But the universal truths of the faith were not to be simply delivered by Scripture alone to believers for them to argue about for millennia. Scripture is clear there is an established teaching authority in order that instruction of sound doctrine occurs and there is correction of those who contradict it. It is not a correct understanding of Scripture to misappropriate what Paul wrote to Timothy to apply to all believers; it must be read and accepted in the context written.

Agreed, but God’s Word according to the scriptures is for all of God’s people not some of them and we are to believe and follow them *Matthew 4:4; 2 Timothy 3:16; 1 Corinthians 10:11.
You agree there is a teaching authority established in the New Testament. Do you recognize it in your life? Do you know who they are?

I agree that the Scriptures are for all; they are simply not for all to use for “reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.” That is the role of a bishop, and we are also instructed to obey and follow them (Hebrews 13:7)

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟331,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Peter in 1 Peter 2:9 is applying the promise *Exodus 19:5-6 of the Royal Priesthood to new covenant believers. God's Israel is simply a name given by God to all those who believe and follow God's Word. Under the new covenant God's Israel are no longer all those in the flesh born of the seed of Abraham but are now all those who have been born of the Spirit according to God's new covenant promise *Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:27-28; Romans 2:28-29; 1 John 3:6-9; Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27. Therefore 1 Peter 2:9 from Exodus 19:5-6 is simply the fulfillment of these scriptures in the new covenant applied to Gods' Israel who are all those who believe and follow God's Word. The Levitical Priesthood under the new covenant is fulfilled in Christ according to Hebrews 7:1-25 who is the head and the body which is the Church. Therefore, in the new covenant God's royal priesthood are all those who believe and follow God's Word.
The priesthood of the believer is indeed for all of those who believe and follow Christ.

Christ is indeed the fulfillment of the high priest. But just as Aaron in the Old Covenant had associated to him an ordained, ministerial priesthood, so does Christ.

We see this foretold by Isaiah when he sees a time when all people would come to God’s holy mountain -- “And they shall bring all your brethren from all the nations as an offering to the Lord, upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the Lord, just as the Israelites bring their cereal offering in a clean vessel to the house of the Lord. And some of them also I will take for priests and for Levites, says the Lord.” (Isaiah 66:20-21)

We see at the Last Supper when Christ instructs the apostles to “do this in remembrance” of him. The Greek word used there for “remembrance” is anamnēsin, has very limited usage in Scripture and is always related to a sacrificial or memorial offering – a “priestly function” (1 Corinthians 11:23-26, Hebrews 10:3, Leviticus 24:7, Numbers 10:10, Psalm 38:1, Psalm 70:1). He in effect ordains them to the ministerial priesthood at this time; they are to celebrate Eucharist as an offering of Christ’s sacrifice that allows all people across all time to participate in his sacrifice to the Father on our behalf.

We see this role of the ordained priesthood claimed by St. Paul, when he writes to the Romans that “But on some points I have written to you very boldly by way of reminder, because of the grace given me by God to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:15-16 The “priestly” service part of that is whitewashed in some translations, but that word is "ierourgounta" which Strong’s Concordance (2418) defines as a combination of the Greek words “hieros” and “ergon” and means to “perform sacred rites.” “Hieros” is the Old Covenant word for priest. But perhaps even more important to the passage is Paul’s understanding that his role is necessary so that the offering of the Gentiles “may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.” That my friend, is the role of ministerial priest.

There were those in the Old Covenant as well who rejected the role of Aaron and his sons in this regard and believed that the ministerial priesthood belonged to all. Korah said to Moses as he led his rebellion “You have gone too far! For all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the Lord is among them; why then do you exalt yourselves above the assembly of the Lord?” (Numbers 16:3). Frankly this sounds exactly like those today who reject the role of the ministerial priesthood in the Church. Moses simply challenged him and his followers to show up the next day to try to burn incense to God, which was reserved for the ministerial priests. They do, and the earth swallows them up and they all die (Numbers 16:17-33).

Simply a quaint story not meant for us? Not according to the apostle Jude. He warns that there are believers in Christ who are perishing in Korah’s rebellion (Jude 1:8-11), which has absolutely no context apart from an understanding that a ministerial priesthood is in existence in the New Testament and there are those who like Korah, believe that all should be in this role. Yet the only people we see burning incense before the throne of God in the New Testament are those in John’s vision in Revelation – the presbyters (Revelation 5:8). Even today, despite Jude's warning, there are those who are perishing in Korah's rebellion.

The high priest, the ministerial priesthood and the priesthood of the nation all co-existed in the Old Covenant, and Christ has fulfilled them by himself as High priest, the ministerial priesthood of the New Covenant, and the priesthood of the believer. But yet obviously some even in New Testament times rejected this, which prompted Jude to remind them of what happened to Korah and his followers.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟331,811.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I highlighted in red what I believe your missing from the scriptures that you posted here. The commission to the disciples of Jesus was “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. The disciples were not going to make disciples of themselves they were to go and make more disciples for Jesus teaching them what Jesus taught them and to observe all things that Jesus taught them. These are the very words of Jesus verbatim. So everything Jesus taught and commanded the first disciples are a part of the great commission that all disciples are given to follow the great commission of salvation through God's grace and love to all mankind and is the calling of all Gods' Royal Priesthood.

Take Care.
They were to make more disciples. They were not to make all disciples to have the role of an apostle. This is why there are still distinctive roles defined in the New Testament – apostles, bishops, presbyters, deacons. All disciples are not given these roles, and these are the ones who are given the authority to teach.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your comments are certainly welcome. I’m breaking this up into multiple posts for easier readability.
Hello narnia, thank you for your kind words. Some more comments for your consideration are given below.
The question is not whether or not the Scriptures are for all of us – of course they are. The question is who is to use them for “reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness”? Paul did not write that to a community of believers. He wrote it to Timothy, who was ordained by Paul (2 Timothy 1:6-7), had the authority to ordain others(1 Timothy 5:22), worked alongisde him in ministry, and was instructed by Paul to teach the faith (1 Timothy 1:3, 1 Timothy 4:11-16, 1 Timothy 6:2-4, 1 Timothy 6:20-21, 2 Timothy 1:13-14, 2 Timothy 2:2, 14-15). Church history teaches us that Timothy was the first bishop of Ephesus. As Paul writes down in his instructions for bishops, “he must hold firm to the sure word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.” (Titus 1:9) Scripture can enlighten us, guide us, inspire us and convict us of personal truths. But the universal truths of the faith were not to be simply delivered by Scripture alone to believers for them to argue about for millennia. Scripture is clear there is an established teaching authority in order that instruction of sound doctrine occurs and there is correction of those who contradict it. It is not a correct understanding of Scripture to misappropriate what Paul wrote to Timothy to apply to all believers; it must be read and accepted in the context written.
If you believe that the scriptures are God's Word written for all of us than so is 2 Timothy 3:16 that says All SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD AND IS PROFITABLE FOR DOCTRINE, FOR REPROOF, FOR CORRECTION, FOR INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS. The point being made here that I believe you have missed was simply that 2 Timothy 3:16 is a universal truth of the scriptures for all those who believe and follow Gods' Word and that is that all scriptures is given by God for doctrine, for reproof for correction and for instruction in righteousness or doing what is right. The scripture does not say that all scripture is given only to Timothy because he has had been set apart for the ministry.

If you believe that the scriptures are Gods' Word then this truth is universal in application to anyone who believes and follows Gods' Word. That is that all scriptures in the bible are given to us from God and form the basis of all doctrine and are the standard of what is truth and what is not truth. Just as Paul and Timothy obeyed the commission to share Gods' Word to the world this same commission is given to all of Gods' people who believe and follow Gods' Word therefore all scriptures is given to us as believers and are the only standard of what is true and what is not true given to us by God to be taught us by God which is a part of Gods' new covenant promise to all those who believe and follow God's Word *Hebrews 8:10:12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 36:24-27; John 8:31-32; John 16:13; John 7:17; John 14:26; 1 John 2:27.

So for the reasons outlined above I respectfully disagree with your claim that 2 Timothy 3:16 was only written for Timothy as all scripture according to Gods' Word are for all those who seek to believe and follow God. So to claim 2 Timothy 3:16 was only written for Timothy is a contradiction of Gods Word because it is scripture and as scripture it is written for all of God's people who believe and follow God's Word and have been written for our admonition upon who the ends of the word have come *1 Corinthians 10:11 and that man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God in Matthew 4:4. All of the scriptures provided here show that God guides and teaches His people the truth of His Word through His Spirit that guides and teaches them and agrees in harmony with all the scriptures shared here with you so we can study to show ourselves approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth *2 Timothy 2:15.

This is because Jesus has promised us in John 8:31-32 If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. We must be careful here because our salvation is conditional on what we believe and follow. Jesus here gives a direct reference to the Word of God as being the only standard of faith and truth in the above scriptures because we are saved by God's grace through faith *Ephesians 2:8-9 and faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17. So our salvation comes by believing and following what Gods' Word says and without this faith that comes from God's Word it is impossible to please God *Hebrews 11:6 because whatsoever is not of faith that comes from God's Word is sin *Romans 14:23

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
”Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.’” (Matthew 28:16-20
My response below...
LoveGodsWord said: I highlighted in red what I believe your missing from the scriptures that you posted here. The commission to the disciples of Jesus was “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. The disciples were not going to make disciples of themselves they were to go and make more disciples for Jesus teaching them what Jesus taught them and to observe all things that Jesus taught them. These are the very words of Jesus verbatim. So everything Jesus taught and commanded the first disciples are a part of the great commission that all disciples are given to follow the great commission of salvation through God's grace and love to all mankind and is the calling of all Gods' Royal Priesthood.
Your response...
They were to make more disciples. They were not to make all disciples to have the role of an apostle. This is why there are still distinctive roles defined in the New Testament – apostles, bishops, presbyters, deacons. All disciples are not given these roles, and these are the ones who are given the authority to teach.
Agreed, there are different roles and authority of roles for teaching within the Church. Although I think you missed the point here narnia because this is not what I have been talking about. The application here of the roles within the Church are different to the gospel commission that God has given to all believers to share the truth His Word to bring peoples nations and tongues into the faith (Church) through the Word of God. Once again I see your trying to make an argument that Gods' Word is not for all those who believe and follow it. In my reading of the scriptures this is not biblical as we are to live by every Word of God according to the scriptures *Matthew 4:4.

Take Care.

Upvote 0