God's Name

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
During the Babylonian captivity the Hebrew language spoken by the Jews was replaced by the Aramaic language of their Babylonian captors. Aramaic was closely related to Hebrew, and while sharing many vocabulary words in common, they contained some words that sounded the same or similar but had other meanings.
In Aramaic, the Hebrew word for “blaspheme” used in Leviticus 24:16, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of YHWH must be put to death” began to be interpreted as “pronounce” rather than “blaspheme”. When the Jews began speaking Aramaic, this verse was (mis)understood to mean, “Anyone who pronounces the name of YHWH must be put to death.” Since then observant Jews have maintained the custom of not pronouncing the name, but use Adonai (“my Lord”) instead. This also lead to some believing that God's name is not pronouncable.

Holman Christian Standard Bible

Jeremiah 23:27.

Through their dreams that they tell one another, they make plans to cause My people to forget My name as their fathers forgot My name through Baal worship.

My translation
Through their imaginings that they tell each other, they made plans to cause my people to forget my name, like their forefathers forgot my name through Baal worship.

Some Biblical theophoric names end in ia(h) or yah as shortened forms of YHWH: That points to the vowels being "a".

Pronouncing the Name of God
Nothing in the Bible prohibits a person from pronouncing the name of God. It is evident from scripture that God's name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain "Yah" and "ia(h)" parts of God's name. For an example the name Jeremiah ends in "ah." The name Yahwah was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

There is no prohibition against pronouncing the name in ancient times. As a matter of fact, the Mishnah recommends using God's name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot 9:5.
However, in the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute names for God. Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHWH according to its letters (instead of using a substitute) has no place in the world to come, and should be put to death for pronouncing the four letter name.

The prohibition on pronunciation applied only to the four letter name YHWH, but Jews customarily do not pronounce any of God's many name titles except in prayer or study.

After killing Hebrew Christians, the Jews would take the New testament scripture written in Hebrew, and carefully cut the name of God out. Then they would place the divine name in a safe place to keep. Following that, they then would burn the remainder of the scrolls in a fire. Rabbi Yose who lived during the second century AD states that, "One cuts out the reference to the divine name which are in them [the Christian writings] and stores them away, and the rest burns." One of his characteristic sayings is, "He who proclaimed the coming of the Messiah, [John] and he who hated scholars and their disciples; [Yahshua] and that false prophet and those slanderers, will have no part in the future world." According to Bacher this was directed against the Hebrew Christians.

Note: The person who proclaimed the coming was John the Baptist, and it was Yahshua who spoke against the scholars of the law. The scholars were the scribes or Pharisees.

And so it is an established fact, the disciples of Yahshua did write the holy name of God into the New Testament.
[/COLOR]

It was the Hellenistic Jews who started this practice centuries ago. They started a doctrine believing that the name of God was to sacred or holy to be pronounced. By the time of Yahshua's arrival in the Second Temple Era, they had begun to change traditional Hebrew names that contained even part of the name of God (these are called Theophoric names). So Yahshua's name became shortened to Yeshua because it started with the first two consonant letters of YHWH.

"Yeho" prefixes changed to "Yo" prefixes
In the table below, 13 theophoric names with "Yeho" prefixes have corresponding forms (in bold type) where the letters "eh"' have been omitted.

There is a theory by Christian Ginsburg that this is due to Hebrew scribes omitting the "h", changing Jeho (יְהוֹ) into Jo (יוֹ), to make the start of "Yeho-" names not sound like an attempt to pronounce the Divine Name. Table of theophoric names with "Yeho" and "Yo" prefixes
[Note that theophoric names with "יוֹ" [i.e. "Yo"] are written in bold letters.]
Strong's # Hebrew word Strong's Transliteration Strong's Words Compounded English Spelling
3059 יְהוֹאָחָז Yehow'achaz Jehovah & achaz [# 270] Jehoachaz
3099 יוֹאָחָז Yow'achaz "a form of 3059" Joachaz
3060 יְהוֹאָש Yehow'ash Jehovah & 'esh [# 784] Jehoash
3101 יוֹאָש Yow'ash "a form of 3060" Joash
3075 יְהוֹזָבָד Yehowzabad Jehovah & zabad [# 2064] Jehozabad
3107 יוֹזָבָד Yowzabad "a form of 3075" Jozabad
3076 יְהוֹחָנָן Yehowchanan Jehovah & chanan [# 2603] Jehochanan
3110 יוֹחָנָן Yowchanan "a form of 3076" Jochanan
3077 יְהוֹיָדָע Yehowyada Jehovah & yada [# 3045] Jehojada
3111 יוֹיָדָע Yowyada "a form of 3077" Jojada
3078 יְהוֹיָכִין Yehowyakiyn Jehovah & kuwn [# 3559] Jehojakin
3112 יוֹיָכִין Yowyakiyn "a form of 3078" Jojakin
3079 יְהוֹיָקִימ Yehowyaqiym Jehovah & quwm [# 3965] Jehojakim
3113 יוֹיָקִימ Yowyaqiym "a form of 3079" Jojakim
3080 יְהוֹיָרִיב Yehowyariyb Jehovah & riyb [# 7378] Jehojarib
3114 יוֹיָרִיב Yowyariyb "a form of 3080" Jojarib
3082 יְהוֹנָדָב Yehownadab Jehovah & nadab [# 5068] Jehonadab
3122 יוֹנָדָב Yownadab "a form of 3082" Jonadab
3083 יְהוֹנָתָן Yehownathan Jehovah & nathan [# 5414] Jehonathan
3129 יוֹנָתָן Yownathan "a form of 3083" Jonathan
3085 יְהוֹעַדָּה Yehow'addah Jehovah & 'adah [# 5710] Jehoaddah
3087 יְהוֹצָדָק Yehowtsadaq Jehovah & tsadaq [# 6663] Jehotsadak
3136 יוֹצָדָק Yowtsadaq "a form of 3087" Jotsadak
3088 יְהוֹרָם Yehowram Jehovah & ruwm [# 7311] Jehoram
3141 יוֹרָם Yowram "a form of 3088" Joram
3092 יְהוֹשָפָט Yehowshaphat Jehovah & shaphat [# 8199] Jehoshaphat
3146 יוֹשָפָט Yowshaphat "a form of 3092" Joshaphat

After the Roman conquest of Greece in the first century BC, Latin adopted the Greek letters Y and Z. It was not until the Middle Ages that the letter W (originally a ligature of V and V) was added to the Latin alphabet, to represent sounds from the Germanic languages which did not exist in medieval Latin, and only after the Renaissance did the convention of treating I and U as vowels, and J and V as consonants, become established. Prior to that, the former had been merely allographs of the latter.
About the eighth century AD the Hebrew Waw was abandoned for Vav, possibly as a Germanic influence upon the Hebrew language.

Last edited:

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whatever the reason was in the beginning really makes little difference at this point. No one knows for sure, positively, without a shadow of a doubt exactly how His name is pronounced. That is one reason it is not spoken nowadays.
Another reason that I've been told is to keep from making a rash oath in God's name, an oath the person would be compelled to keep. So they quit speaking His name for that reason.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Why does God believe we know His name?
Psalm 14:4
Will evildoers never learn— those who devour my people as men eat bread and who do not call on Yahwah?

Psalm 53:4
Will the evildoers never learn— those who devour my people like men eating bread and who do not call on Elohiym?

Psalm 79:6
Pour out your wrath on the nations that do not acknowledge you, on the kingdoms that do not call on your name;

Jeremiah 10:25
Pour out your wrath on the nations that do not acknowledge you, on the peoples who do not call on your name. For they have devoured Jacob; they have devoured him completely and destroyed his homeland.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Whatever the reason was in the beginning really makes little difference at this point. No one knows for sure, positively, without a shadow of a doubt exactly how His name is pronounced. That is one reason it is not spoken nowadays.
Another reason that I've been told is to keep from making a rash oath in God's name, an oath the person would be compelled to keep. So they quit speaking His name for that reason.

Differences in pronunciation do not change the name. There is no law in the bible that says our pronunciation must be correct. Why is it we have no problem following other commands imperfectly, but we demand to know the perfect pronunciation of the name before we can use it?

Usage of the name is not a matter of preference. Try a search for "name of the Lord" and "my name" in the KJV Old Testament/Tanakh and see what was commanded concerning it. Also, check out this page:
What is the Proper Name of the Most High? | Torah Practice and Perspectives

All oaths are binding, whether you speak them in his name or not, so that is not a valid reason not to use it.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
In my personal opinion the name of God is Yeshua. I pronounce it Ish--oo-WAH. It's ONE of the many reasons that He came and walked among men--ONE name--one face--one religion---ONE GOD OF ALL
The name Yeshua is one that He himself chose to now and forever be called by.

Psalm 118:26
Blessed is he [Yahshua]who comes in the name of [the LORD / Yahwah.] From the house of [the LORD / Yahwah] we bless you.

Psalm 144:15
Blessed are the people of whom this is true; blessed are the people whose God is [the LORD / Yahwah.]

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
IN the last days.. a new name...
Revelation 2:17
Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.
I wonder if God is solving the issue of the lost name, and badly abuse use of His name with a new name just for those who receive it.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Good post, thanks Michael. It also concerns me when I hear other believers (and translations) substitute "Lord" for YHVH ...

והיה ביום־ההוא נאם־יהוה תקראי אישי ולא־תקראי־לי עוד בעלי׃
והסרתי את־שמות הבעלים מפיה ולא־יזכרו עוד בשמם׃

"declares YHVH, "that you ... no longer call Me 'My Ba'al' (My Lord) ... " Hsa 3:16,17

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Differences in pronunciation do not change the name. There is no law in the bible that says our pronunciation must be correct. Why is it we have no problem following other commands imperfectly, but we demand to know the perfect pronunciation of the name before we can use it?

Amein! Personally, and in my opinion, I see overt avoidance or substitution of His Name as a form of blotting it out. Throughout Scripture, the practice of "blotting out" was always associated with something negative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Good post, thanks Michael. It also concerns me when I hear other believers (and translations) substitute "Lord" for YHVH ...

"declares YHVH, "that you ... no longer call Me 'My Ba'al' (My Lord) ... " Hsa 3:16,17

I like your bottom line.
Hosea 2:16-17 “In that day,” declares Yahwah,
“you will call me ‘my husband’;
you will no longer call me ‘my Lord.’
17 I will remove the names of [the Baals / the Lord] from her lips;
no longer will their names be invoked.

Ba'al (Biblical Hebrew בעל, pronounced [ˈbaʕal], usually spelled Baal in English) is a Northwest Semitic title and honorific meaning "master" or "lord."

Last edited:
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith

"declares YHVH, "that you ... no longer call Me 'My Ba'al' (My Lord) ... " Hsa 2:16,17

The different translations are wide and verying on Hosea 2:16-17.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jeremiah 23
[26] How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
[27] Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Jeremiah 23
[26] How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
[27] Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

Good find.

Jeremiah 23:26-27.
How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds? 27 They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their ancestors forgot my name through Baal worship.

Hosea 2:16-17.
16 “In that day,” declares Yahwah, “you will call me ‘my husband’; you will no longer call me ‘my Lord.’

Ba'al (Biblical Hebrew בעל, pronounced [ˈbaʕal], usually spelled Baal in English) is a Northwest Semitic title and honorific meaning "master" or "lord."

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good find.

Jeremiah 23:26-27.
How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds? 27 They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their ancestors forgot my name through Baal worship.

Hosea 2:16-17.
16 “In that day,” declares Yahwah, “you will call me ‘my husband’; you will no longer call me ‘my Lord.’

I don't think the verses are speaking of "forgot" literally. Rather, the people no longer saw the uniqueness of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, putting Him among those that are no gods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
I don't think the verses are speaking of "forgot" literally. Rather, the people no longer saw the uniqueness of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, putting Him among those that are no gods.

Orthodox Jews say they do not know the name of God, and that it has been forgotten how to pronounce it.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Orthodox Jews say they do not know the name of God, and that it has been forgotten how to pronounce it.

That is true now, no one knows what the vowels are, it's not even known if the vav carried a vowel or was in fact a "v" sound.
But when the scriptures were written, it hadn't been forgotten.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
That is true now, no one knows what the vowels are, it's not even known if the vav carried a vowel or was in fact a "v" sound. But when the scriptures were written, it hadn't been forgotten.

Would you say that we do not know how to pronounce other Hebrew words too, as a result?

Upvote 0