Gods Name

MorphRC

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟839.00
Faith
Catholic
A question about the Gods name.

In the torah [ i cant remember where ] God says His name [ in the english version ] I am Who I am or I am Who am..and from what i know that translates into hebrew as YHWH [ A.h. ] and Yahweh [ M.H. ].

So my question is..why dont we call God [ when we speak english ] I am Who am..since it is technically His name in english?

Oh and what other names are there for God?

Thx Guyz

YatzivPatgam

Oct 17, 2003
Jerusalem
Visit site
✟15,405.00
Faith
Judaism
Morpheus_Anubis said:
A question about the Gods name.

In the torah [ i cant remember where ] God says His name [ in the english version ] I am Who I am or I am Who am..and from what i know that translates into hebrew as YHWH [ A.h. ] and Yahweh [ M.H. ].

So my question is..why dont we call God [ when we speak english ] I am Who am..since it is technically His name in english?

Oh and what other names are there for God?

Thx Guyz
Hello! Excellent question :)

The verse you are reffering to is in the book of Exodus and is diffrent then the Tetra name (YHVH). Rashi explains it best;

G-D said I will be as I will be. That meant "I will be with you in this problem (Egyptian exile) as I will be with you in any future problems (future exiles etc.) so don't despair".

That's why G-D mentioned the name "I will be". He wanted the Jews to know the name He was using was one of empathy and sympathy with the people under stress.

But then, Moses requested of G-D that it is enough to mention one problem and not future woes also. G-D approved of that request. Therefore, G-D dropped it to just one "I will be" = "I will be with you in the hardships of this exile (Egypt)".

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have always understood it that G-d did not want to limit himself.
"I will be..."

and we ask, "You will be what L-rd? My help? My Strength? My healer? My Saviour? My Adonai?"

Simply, he will be everything that we will ever need... he is that he is. YHVH will become what ever it is you need.
Yehovah Yirah: the L-RD my provider
Yehovah Nissi: the L-RD my banner
Yehovah Tsidkenu: the L-RD my righteousness
Yehovah M'Kaddesh: the L-RD my sanctifier
Yehovah Rophi: the L-RD my healer
the list goes on and on.

YHVH, our everything.

Shalom,
-Yafet.

Upvote 0

MorphRC

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟839.00
Faith
Catholic
SonWorshipper said:
May I ask why you call yourself by two other pagan gods names?
Actually when i first made this name on MSN Chatz, the Morpheus i thought was latin but its turns out not to be right :confused: . So now it represents my interest in the matrix movies as for the Anubis..i have a awesome and undieing interest in egypt so it kinda brings to things i like very much together into one nickname.

Dont wry i dont worship pagan gods..:p

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Morph,

I'm sure that SW meant no offense with what she said... it's just that here in the MJ forums, we tend to lean away from all things paganistic. Anything historically linked to paganism, including names, we try to keep clean from....

So, with that in mind, please bear with some of us as we see your name represented in our forums. I doubt that it will cause any controversy at all, I just wanted you to know where SW was coming from.

Shalom,
-yafet.

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
No, I was not trying to be offensive, but rather was asking because it found your name very strange. You say that you are using the Egyptian g/ds name because of your interest in Egypt. I too have had an interest in Egyptology for about ten years because Egypt figures prominently in the Bible. I have over two dozen books on the subject, mainly from the New Kingdom, but others as well. But this does not give a plausible explanation for the use of the name of the Egyptian god and Greek one. For to me that is breaking the 1st commandment, you are honoring a false god by using the name of it to represent yourself. The bible teaches us that:

1 A good name is better than precious oil ~~ Ecces. 7

Names are very important to the L-rd and they are very telling about a person and should not be chosen offhandedly.

I find it sardonic that you would have these two names of pagan gods representing you and yet have a signature that tells us ( Messianics) that we have no salvation. Our salvation is found in G-d alone and through Him alone, not any man made traditions.

Yeshua=Salvation

Salvation=Yeshua=G-d

I am also wondering about the way you worded your OP:

A question about the Gods name
:scratch:

Upvote 0

YatzivPatgam

Oct 17, 2003
Jerusalem
Visit site
✟15,405.00
Faith
Judaism
simchat_torah said:
I have always understood it that G-d did not want to limit himself.
"I will be..."

and we ask, "You will be what L-rd? My help? My Strength? My healer? My Saviour? My Adonai?"

Simply, he will be everything that we will ever need... he is that he is. YHVH will become what ever it is you need.
Y-h-v-h Yirah: the L-RD my provider
Y-h-v-h Nissi: the L-RD my banner
Y-h-v-h Tsidkenu: the L-RD my righteousness
Y-h-v-h M'Kaddesh: the L-RD my sanctifier
Y-h-v-h Rophi: the L-RD my healer
the list goes on and on.

YHVH, our everything.

Shalom,
-Yafet.
Intrested in where you justify useing "e" "o" and "a" in there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The passages actually read Jehovah, but I preferred to use the Yehovah... as there is no "J" in Hebrew...

Granted, Jehovah is really the comprimised word of Yud Hey Vav Hey and the vowel points of Adonai mixed together, so ultimately, you are right, it does trace back to Y-H-V-H.

shalom,
Yafet.

Upvote 0

YatzivPatgam

Oct 17, 2003
Jerusalem
Visit site
✟15,405.00
Faith
Judaism
simchat_torah said:
The passages actually read Jehovah, but I preferred to use the Yehovah... as there is no "J" in Hebrew...

Granted, Jehovah is really the comprimised word of Yud Hey Vav Hey and the vowel points of Adonai mixed together, so ultimately, you are right, it does trace back to Y-H-V-H.

shalom,
Yafet.
Okay, so you were just literally writing it out as it appears.

So does that mean you acknowledge thats an incorrect rendering?..or do you feel otherwise?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
Where in Exodus 3:13 are you getting this? My Bible has "...I AM THAT I AM..." in Exodus 3:14. Also, in Exodus 6:3, God has 2 different names. One means "Yahwah",what does the other name mean and why does he give 2 different names?

Hi Debbie, Yatziv has already answered this 5 days before you even posted it on this thread.
Look at post number 3.

the the "I will be what will be"(I am that I am, etc) promotes something even deeper than HaShem just being there for every problem, in which this is already a great attribute and mercy HaShem gives to us. So that is why Moses wanted something just a tad less to give to the people--- Moses understood all of the levels of connotation regarding the 1st revealed name/authority of HaShem and it blew his mind away- as it did mine.

Upvote 0

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
Who is HaShem? Also, I was pointing out that someone was saying the verse was Ex. 3:13, but actually it is Ex. 3:14 in the KJV. The other question was regarding Exodus 6:3, "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them." I asked what God's other names meant besides "Yahwah"?

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic

HaShem = literal translation:

Ha = THE

and

Shem = Name.

It is too sacred to pronounce nor should be written out so therefore HaShem – "The Name" is used.

Because the name is so sacred in the English translation it is written out as "I AM that I AM"

Exodus 6:3 Should read as such (remember I will substitute the Holy name with "HaShem")

"AND I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai) , but by my name HaShem was I not known to them."

Our G-d is many things, HaShem is like the combination of all.

He is known by many other titles, see here http://www.messianicyisrael.com/name.html

I hope this clarifies this for you.

:)

Upvote 0

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
Was God the Father in the Old Testament? What was He called then? He at times talked of loving his people like a Father loves His child? Or was He always after His people for not doing works or keeping sacrifices and angry all the time? What was his nature, then? Did God have a different name then when He was more loving or just Lord? Or was God the Father only in the New Testament?

Upvote 0