• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

God's Name is I Am What I Am

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by DreamerOfTheHeart, Feb 12, 2019.

1. DreamerOfTheHeart

DreamerOfTheHeart I Am What I Am

+387
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That is God's true Name, given to Moses.

A Name his forefathers did not know him by.

Moses was God incarnate, but did not know it. Jesus was the Son of God Incarnate, I Am What I Am.

Jesus said he is in the Father, but is also the Son. Exactly like Jesus is Moses.

Moses did not know he was God in the flesh.

The name of Jesus means "God saves". And, that is the Banner of Jesus.

Do not say, I Am What I Am in vain.

And, do not mock God.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. devin553344

devin553344 Enlighten our lives dear Lord

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Keep studying the bible. I don't see the same thing you see, but that's OK I suppose :) Cheers. You should study the Trinity:Trinity - Wikipedia

3. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+540
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I can't decide if this is serious or trolling.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. devin553344

devin553344 Enlighten our lives dear Lord

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'm taking him seriously. I think he's just been misguided somehow :(

5. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,186
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Nope.

-CryptoLutheran

6. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+540
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    He keeps starting odd threads then doesn't respond to them, that's troll-ish. But to be fair trolls are misguided, so either way you are right. :tearsofjoy:

7. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+897
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Exodus 3:13-15

“I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.”

Popeye the sailor-man

Don't confuse the two! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog The way....

+489
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    LOL

9. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+11,854
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg
    MOD HAT ON
    This thread has been moved to the Controversial Christian Theology forum.
    Please note and abide by the Statement of Purpose of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

10. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+2,998
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Another translation makes it " I AM WHO I WILL BE" but under no circumstance and in no translation I know of is the word "what" in there. So you are absolutely correct in pointing out that Popeye is not God. Though Olive Oyl bears a striking resemblance to a certain freshman congressperson from New York.

11. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,368
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Olive Oyl, that is tacky, accurate, but tacky. אהיה אשׁר אהיה/ehyeh 'sher ehyeh can also be translated "I will be who I will be."

12. tz620q

tz620q Regular Member Supporter

+558
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    When I first heard that translation of the YHWH tetragrammaton, which had no precedent in Hebrew to use as a translation guide, I realized how much more accurate it is than the passive tense translation. It conveys, not a past Creator that has stopped creating; but an active Creator that is continually bringing His kingdom into being.

13. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+14,435
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    "God Incarnate" bowed down to the Egyptian "gods?"
    "God Incarnate" committed murder?
    "God Incarnate" was afraid to speak to Pharaoh?
    "God Incarnate" refused to circumcise his own sons?

I don't think so.

14. Dave-W

+14,435
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Indeed.

Actually, it has no time reference, so "I am who I was," "I am who I am," and "I am who I will be," are all accurate.

15. grasping the after wind

+2,998
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    And perhaps all of them combined are as accurate as we can get?

16. Dave-W

+14,435
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Maybe. Since God natively exists outside of time, (He created time) it is probably as close as we can come to comprehending it.

17. grasping the after wind

+2,998
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I like the I Am Who I Will Be translation mainly because it seems to show intent upon God's part rather than just standing on who He is, He is saying He is Who He is by his design and no others. He seems to me to be making the statement that He is who He desires to be unlike every other being that is constrained by limits imposed from outside His nature is a decision not something He was created with. He has no limits and therefore will be Who He will be or will be whatever He decides to be.

18. Der Alter

+2,368
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Lots of speculation in this thread. I decided to ask the Jews.
    Jewish Encyclopedia-Names of God
    In appearance, Yhwh (יהוה) is the third person singular imperfect "kal" of the verb ( הוה ("to be"), meaning, therefore, "He is," or "He will be," or, perhaps, "He lives," the root idea of the word being, probably, "to blow," "to breathe," and hence, "to live." With this explanation agrees the meaning of the name given in Ex. iii. 14, where God is represented as speaking, and hence as using the first person—"I am" (אהיה, from

( היה, the later equivalent of the archaic stem ( הוה). The meaning would, therefore, be "He who is self-existing, self-sufficient," or, more concretely, "He who lives," the abstract conception of pure existence being foreign to Hebrew thought. There is no doubt that the idea of life was intimately connected with the name Yhwh from early times. He is the living God, as contrasted with the lifeless gods of the heathen, and He is the source and author of life (comp. I Kings xviii.; Isa. xli. 26-29, xliv. 6-20; Jer. x. 10, 14; Gen. ii. 7; etc.). So familiar is this conception of God to the Hebrew mind that it appears in the common formula of an oath, "hai Yhwh" ( חי־יהוה = "as Yhwh lives"; Ruth iii. 13; I Sam. xiv. 45; etc.).
    If the explanation of the form above given be the true one, the original pronunciation must have been Yahweh ((יהוה) or Yahaweh (יהוה). From this the contracted form Jah or Yah (יה ) is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (יהו ), and Jo or Yo (יו contracted from יהו , which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah (יהו ) in the second part of such names. The fact may also be mentioned that in Samaritan poetry יהוה rhymes with words similar in ending to Yahweh, and Theodoret ("Quæst. 15 in Exodum") states that the Samaritans pronounced the name Iαβέ. Epiphanius ascribes the same pronunciation to an early Christian sect. Clement of Alexandria, still more exactly, pronounces 'Iαουέ or 'Iαουαί, and Origen, 'Iα. Aquila wrote the name in archaic Hebrew letters. In the Jewish-Egyptian magic-papyri it appears as Ιαωουηε. At least as early as the third century B.C. the name seems to have been regarded by the Jews as a "nomen ineffabile," on the basis of a somewhat extreme interpretation of Ex. xx. 7 and Lev. xxiv. 11 (see Philo, "De Vita Mosis," iii. 519, 529). Written only in consonants, the true pronunciation was forgotten by them. The Septuagint, and after it the New Testament, invariably render κύριος ("the Lord").
    Jewish Encyclopedia online

19. Howard Beale

Howard Beale New Member

+19
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Dear Der Alter,

Thank you for taking the time to research and then provide us with this most helpful post.

Because of your post I am starting a thread on the name of G-d given to Moses in Exodus 3:14

With love,
    Howard

20. Der Alter

+2,368
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Please be sure to read the complete article at the Jewish Encyclopedia link I provided, above. The article has much more relevant information.