✟7,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

i joined this forum hoping to connect and get advice from my brothers and sisters in Christ. I know that the Lord often uses people, even strangers, every day so I am hoping I can get some advice on my career.

For the many years of my career, I have often been the person who was very diligent, overworked, and underpaid (relative to peers, but not overall)...but I believe in working my heart out as I was doing it for the Lord. Over time, it shifted into something that was no longer about that as I advanced and got comfortable with earning really good money. While my faith remained steadfast, I got too used to the comforts money provided me. It didn't so much have to do with the money itself, but how it appeared to my in-laws.

You see, I have a narcissistic sister-in-law whom I tried repeatedly to be gracious towards, but she has always put me down about every accomplishment even during times I was trying to be a sister and encourage her. For example, she was struggling to buy a home because she was a single income earner. The homes she was looking at were a bit of stretch and unrealistic which happens to new homebuyers often. So without saying anything else or saying anything in my mind, I simply suggested she buy a starter home in our community since it was affordable. Her response was that our house is too small (1400 sq ft). Or on a separate occasion when we were discussing dream homes and I said I wanted a 3 bedroom single story home. She said, "Well...everyone wants a two-story 4 bedroom home. That is what is in demand. That is what I'm going to get." Or on my birthday she sent me a $50 gift card when I was unemployed (but not struggling at all) where all it said was "buy yourself something nice". Or when my husband and I were struggling financially for two years because of some poor decisions was working to fix, (note: she had gotten married to another man who was in the military like my husband) and was like, "we can buy your house" - even though we made no mention of selling it. One time my husband so happily reported to the family that I got a promotion during dinner and the promotion resulted in a 14k increase. Not that he was boasting but he was just so happy given that it was just a few months after my unemployment period. Thanks to the Lord who was so merciful and allowed me to be promoted after just 5 months on the job (a rough one at that where people tried to get me in trouble). Her response to that good news when the family was not around to hear was to talk and rant about her income. I simply said "yes I earn around there" because I was irked - but I actually earn a lot more than what she was earning, but I didn't tell her that. She said, well mine is take home. I just left it alone. Just compounding effects of her words have taken a toll over the years. You start to feel insecure, judged, and constantly under scrutiny and measured against. I feel like I can't live in peace and my husband feels the same way after seeing his sisters true colors. This whole time, the only thing she has not been able to say anything about are my earnings because I do earn more than her. This fact does not matter to me relative to other people in my life. Just with her and my enabling mother-in-law. I feel like it is the one area she can't put me down about.

Anyway, my high income had come at the expense of work-life balance. My health suffered, my anxiety has been uncontrollable. I was tired and never had time for anything else. I continue to move up, but was not fulfilled. Money has never fulfilled me in that regard. I simply hung on to it and the status as a prideful way of protecting myself from a narcissist. If this was a different sister in law, my guard would be down and I would not care about losing that advantage. It's wrong. It's prideful for me to be this way, but I also hurt deeply and am struggling to shake the pridefulness off. It has impacted how I see myself and how comfortable I am during family gatherings.

Just last month, I quit my job after getting promoted just three months before.. to take a step back in responsibility because I was just unhappy. I wanted time with the Lord, time to seek my purpose. Time to rejuvenate and recover from anxiety attacks. While the Lord appears to promote me in my career left and right, I also feel like there's a possibility the "opportunities" may not have been from the Lord if it demands too much of my time. I struggle to differentiate between whether it is a test of endurance and reliance on the lord to get through it or from the enemy because he wants me to keep setting the Lord aside because I am too busy with work. Every day was full of anxiety. I felt like everything overwhelmed me. I was burnt out. I took on another job which was also high paying but remote, but ended up resigning after three weeks. I was overwhelmed and upset that my boss had expected me to manage his inbox, tasks and work while also juggling my technical responsibilities and own job along with 3-4 hours every day devoted to just meetings. That added responsibility was not agreed upon in the contract for consulting.

Two weeks later as of today, I am unemployed. I got a job offer that is remote but pays decent. Not a lot. Just decent enough to where we had enough, but not too much in excess like before. Not a lot of upward mobility, opportunity for bonuses or increases because it's government contracting. This job, prior to the offer, gave me anxious dreams. I guess it's because it is something I have only had two years experience with and the company is very new which means there's not an effective training process. Also, it's extremely detail natured which is critical for the military which I think extremely detailed and high output jobs like that add to my anxiety the last few years. I've become less tolerant to fast pace and stress the last 3 years or so. I got another interview for a completely different role which is onsite but a bit of a commute. Team was great, pays way more, with target bonuses, annual raises, and an opportunity to lead. Plus I know the system like the back of my hand. No anxiety about the role. In fact I was excited. I got the offer for the lower paying job I had anxiety about and held off on accepting since yesterday. I communicated to the second job about the offer and they even went out of their way to schedule my second interview tomorrow even though it was supposed to be next week. Unfortunately, I accepted the first offer before the interview tomorrow as I had promised the first company an answer end of day today. I feel sad because it pays less and I do have anxiety about it. My choice to take it was based on faith. After reading and praying, I felt no strong guidance or pull anywhere. Which I know God is sometimes silent and expects us to use our brains to make the best judgment we can. I went off simply the fact that money had governed my many choices about jobs and I decided to take the opposite route of that and place the rest in the hands of the Lord to provide for me whatever we are short on or build me up slowly again. I do feel some remorse about the decision and wonder how I can make up for the difference in income. I have no idea if the remorse just comes form just the lower income and anxious feeling about the job, or if this job truly wasn't supposed to be the one I should take. Do you all think I made the right decision? What would you have done?

Last edited:

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Welcome! :)

It sounds like you needed a break. You are trusting God. So long as you are not bereft of the basic necessities of life, then you should take this space to seek what it is you might do in the future that will also not take you into the same predicament from which you are trying to get away.

Here is one way to think about God's purpose for your life (for any of our lives). Consider Micah 6:8, "He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" God's will is that we would be conformed to image of Jesus Christ. Whatever else you do matters in so far as it contributes to that end. Seek the kingdom first, and the rest is yours.

Upvote 0

Redeemed06

Aug 6, 2020
WINCHESTER
✟7,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! :)

It sounds like you needed a break. You are trusting God. So long as you are not bereft of the basic necessities of life, then you should take this space to seek what it is you might do in the future that will also not take you into the same predicament from which you are trying to get away.

Here is one way to think about God's purpose for your life (for any of our lives). Consider Micah 6:8, "He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" God's will is that we would be conformed to image of Jesus Christ. Whatever else you do matters in so far as it contributes to that end. Seek the kingdom first, and the rest is yours.

Thank you. The "seek the kingdom first" is exactly what I tried to do. I don't know which direction he wanted me to go, just that I need to go against what hasn't been working for me and remove my focus from the security of money. I just know I need more time and energy to focus on him.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. The "seek the kingdom firs" is exactly what I tried to do. I don't know which direction he wanted me to go, just that I need to go against what hasn't been working for me and remove my focus from the security of money. I just know I need more time and energy to focus on him.

Yeah, general guidance is about all an internet forum allows for. It's not for me to tell you specifics. Even if I knew you as a close friend, it would still not be my place. Faith is a risk, always. But, love is the guarantee. If you are loving as Christ loves us, you can't go wrong no matter what you do. May the peace and strength of our risen Lord be with you. :)

• Prayers
Reactions: Redeemed06
Upvote 0

Redeemed06

Aug 6, 2020
WINCHESTER
✟7,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, general guidance is about all an internet forum allows for. It's not for me to tell you specifics. Even if I knew you as a close friend, it would still not be my place. Faith is a risk, always. But, love is the guarantee. If you are loving as Christ loves us, you can't go wrong no matter what you do. May the peace and strength of our risen Lord be with you. :)

Of course, and understood. May the Lord bless you.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Angeltp

Aug 5, 2020
Salem
✟19,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

i joined this forum hoping to connect and get advice from my brothers and sisters in Christ. I know that the Lord often uses people, even strangers, every day so I am hoping I can get some advice on my career.

For the many years of my career, I have often been the person who was very diligent, overworked, and underpaid (relative to peers, but not overall)...but I believe in working my heart out as I was doing it for the Lord. Over time, it shifted into something that was no longer about that as I advanced and got comfortable with earning really good money. While my faith remained steadfast, I got too used to the comforts money provided me. It didn't so much have to do with the money itself, but how it appeared to my in-laws.

You see, I have a narcissistic sister-in-law whom I tried repeatedly to be gracious towards, but she has always put me down about every accomplishment even during times I was trying to be a sister and encourage her. For example, she was struggling to buy a home because she was a single income earner. The homes she was looking at were a bit of stretch and unrealistic which happens to new homebuyers often. So without saying anything else or saying anything in my mind, I simply suggested she buy a starter home in our community since it was affordable. Her response was that our house is too small (1400 sq ft). Or on a separate occasion when we were discussing dream homes and I said I wanted a 3 bedroom single story home. She said, "Well...everyone wants a two-story 4 bedroom home. That is what is in demand. That is what I'm going to get." Or on my birthday she sent me a $50 gift card when I was unemployed (but not struggling at all) where all it said was "buy yourself something nice". Or when my husband and I were struggling financially for two years because of some poor decisions was working to fix, (note: she had gotten married to another man who was in the military like my husband) and was like, "we can buy your house" - even though we made no mention of selling it. One time my husband so happily reported to the family that I got a promotion during dinner and the promotion resulted in a 14k increase. Not that he was boasting but he was just so happy given that it was just a few months after my unemployment period. Thanks to the Lord who was so merciful and allowed me to be promoted after just 5 months on the job (a rough one at that where people tried to get me in trouble). Her response to that good news when the family was not around to hear was to talk and rant about her income. I simply said "yes I earn around there" because I was irked - but I actually earn a lot more than what she was earning, but I didn't tell her that. She said, well mine is take home. I just left it alone. Just compounding effects of her words have taken a toll over the years. You start to feel insecure, judged, and constantly under scrutiny and measured against. I feel like I can't live in peace and my husband feels the same way after seeing his sisters true colors. This whole time, the only thing she has not been able to say anything about are my earnings because I do earn more than her. This fact does not matter to me relative to other people in my life. Just with her and my enabling mother-in-law. I feel like it is the one area she can't put me down about.

Anyway, my high income had come at the expense of work-life balance. My health suffered, my anxiety has been uncontrollable. I was tired and never had time for anything else. I continue to move up, but was not fulfilled. Money has never fulfilled me in that regard. I simply hung on to it and the status as a prideful way of protecting myself from a narcissist. If this was a different sister in law, my guard would be down and I would not care about losing that advantage. It's wrong. It's prideful for me to be this way, but I also hurt deeply and am struggling to shake the pridefulness off. It has impacted how I see myself and how comfortable I am during family gatherings.

Just last month, I quit my job after getting promoted just three months before.. to take a step back in responsibility because I was just unhappy. I wanted time with the Lord, time to seek my purpose. Time to rejuvenate and recover from anxiety attacks. While the Lord appears to promote me in my career left and right, I also feel like there's a possibility the "opportunities" may not have been from the Lord if it demands too much of my time. I struggle to differentiate between whether it is a test of endurance and reliance on the lord to get through it or from the enemy because he wants me to keep setting the Lord aside because I am too busy with work. Every day was full of anxiety. I felt like everything overwhelmed me. I was burnt out. I took on another job which was also high paying but remote, but ended up resigning after three weeks. I was overwhelmed and upset that my boss had expected me to manage his inbox, tasks and work while also juggling my technical responsibilities and own job along with 3-4 hours every day devoted to just meetings. That added responsibility was not agreed upon in the contract for consulting.

Two weeks later as of today, I am unemployed. I got a job offer that is remote but pays decent. Not a lot. Just decent enough to where we had enough, but not too much in excess like before. Not a lot of upward mobility, opportunity for bonuses or increases because it's government contracting. This job, prior to the offer, gave me anxious dreams. I guess it's because it is something I have only had two years experience with and the company is very new which means there's not an effective training process. Also, it's extremely detail natured which is critical for the military which I think extremely detailed and high output jobs like that add to my anxiety the last few years. I've become less tolerant to fast pace and stress the last 3 years or so. I got another interview for a completely different role which is onsite but a bit of a commute. Team was great, pays way more, with target bonuses, annual raises, and an opportunity to lead. Plus I know the system like the back of my hand. No anxiety about the role. In fact I was excited. I got the offer for the lower paying job I had anxiety about and held off on accepting since yesterday. I communicated to the second job about the offer and they even went out of their way to schedule my second interview tomorrow even though it was supposed to be next week. Unfortunately, I accepted the first offer before the interview tomorrow as I had promised the first company an answer end of day today. I feel sad because it pays less and I do have anxiety about it. My choice to take it was based on faith. After reading and praying, I felt no strong guidance or pull anywhere. Which I know God is sometimes silent and expects us to use our brains to make the best judgment we can. I went off simply the fact that money had governed my many choices about jobs and I decided to take the opposite route of that and place the rest in the hands of the Lord to provide for me whatever we are short on or build me up slowly again. I do feel some remorse about the decision and wonder how I can make up for the difference in income. I have no idea if the remorse just comes form just the lower income and anxious feeling about the job, or if this job truly wasn't supposed to be the one I should take. Do you all think I made the right decision? What would you have done?
Hi! I think you should do whatever is good for you and your family. If someone’s words continually pulls you down, you should call their attention to it.Let your sister in law know how her words make you feel. Some people talk to others without thinking about the impact their words will have on the person they are talking to, they mean no harm, it’s just who they are. If you talk to her about it and there is no change, you might have to stand up for yourself so that you can peace of mind.
Secondly, do what makes you happy, whatever you have passion for. Find it and live. There is nothing as peaceful as you doing what you are called to do.
Peace.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Redeemed06

Aug 6, 2020
WINCHESTER
✟7,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I think you should do whatever is good for you and your family. If someone’s words continually pulls you down, you should call their attention to it.Let your sister in law know how her words make you feel. Some people talk to others without thinking about the impact their words will have on the person they are talking to, they mean no harm, it’s just who they are. If you talk to her about it and there is no change, you might have to stand up for yourself so that you can peace of mind.
Secondly, do what makes you happy, whatever you have passion for. Find it and live. There is nothing as peaceful as you doing what you are called to do.
Peace.

I definitely agree with the peace is doing what I enjoy and am good at. Hoping at this point that what I chose was not a mistake since I am new to it. I just worry about the anxiety about the job I took (in good attempt at faith$ and wonder if I should have waited for the other.

As for the in law, my husband and I have chosen to distance ourselves after her new husband was suspicious of something she told him about me and confirmed with my husband that it was indeed an utmost lie. It sort of confirmed our suspicions of narcissism that she will always lie for no reason to make herself look good or others look less superior. He has tried to hint at his mom, but his mom is sort of an enabler. We choose not to confront her because we know with a narcissist you can’t win. She knows what she is intentionally doing. Historically, in her current and past relationships, what is first promoted as perfect she ends making it out to be the person’s fault 100 percent and presenting herself being the hero and perfect wife. Everyone around her is jealous, competitive and inferior. She makes fun of people's weight and jobs, even being darker skin tone than her. By her own words to my husband and his mom is that she is the perfect wife and there’s not better her husband can get. So psychologically if you’ve tried kindness or even fighting back as my husband has and that doesn’t work, you can’t win with a narcissists because they will never be wrong. For what causes us to stumble we should avoid. All we can do for her is pray for her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I once was a ferocious reader of the Bible, walking in grace and having my needs provided for daily by God, but I wanted more, I wanted to work and earn money so I decided to pray for God to provide a job for me and He did. But commuting there took me two hours and time spent on the job wore me down. I also lost precious time I used to spend with God and gradually my health was affected. I have learned to be content. What's more precious than growing in intimacy with God and loving others? if you're looking to spend more time with God then taking up a job offer isn't your answer, however, if you have financial needs that might overwhelm you without income from a job, you will have to settle for one but pray that it gives you some time to serve God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Angeltp

Aug 5, 2020
Salem
✟19,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I definitely agree with the peace is doing what I enjoy and am good at. Hoping at this point that what I chose was not a mistake since I am new to it. I just worry about the anxiety about the job I took (in good attempt at faith$ and wonder if I should have waited for the other.

As for the in law, my husband and I have chosen to distance ourselves after her new husband was suspicious of something she told him about me and confirmed with my husband that it was indeed an utmost lie. It sort of confirmed our suspicions of narcissism that she will always lie for no reason to make herself look good or others look less superior. He has tried to hint at his mom, but his mom is sort of an enabler. We choose not to confront her because we know with a narcissist you can’t win. She knows what she is intentionally doing. Historically, in Her current and past relationships, what is first promoted as perfect she ends making it out to be the person’s fault 100 percent and presenting herself being the hero and perfect wife. Everyone around her is jealous, competition and inferior. She makes fun of peoples weight and jobs, even being darker skin tone than her. By her own words to my husband and his mom is that she is the perfect wife and there’s not better her husband can get. So psychologically if you’ve tried kindness or even fighting back as my husband has and that doesn’t work, you can’t win with a narcissists because they will never be wrong. For what causes us to stumble we should avoid. All we can do for her is pray for her.
Yes, avoidance is key in this type of relationship. Any relationship that drains life out of someone should be totally avoided especially when you have checked yourself against the Bible and the Holy Spirit confirms that you need to stay away. You can continue talking to her over the phone but limit contact and avoid engaging in discussions that will allow her to pull you down. We all need healthy people in our lifes that lift us up and not the other way around.
As per your job, I think you should pray about it and ask God for directions. I was once working for people but it drained me out. Now I work for myself and I love what I do and I have peace of mind. Let God lead you. When I first started my business, my husband supported me but he was a bit skeptical about it but I know I prayed and heard God correctly. At first , it was dragging but I persisted through prayers and giving it my best shot. Today, the story has changed, it’s better and ofcourse , am still striving for the best. So it’s key that we know through prayers what God wants us to do. I wish you all the best.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Redeemed06

Aug 6, 2020
WINCHESTER
✟7,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I once was a ferocious reader of the Bible, walking in grace and having my needs provided for daily by God, but I wanted more, I wanted to work and earn money so I decided to pray for God to provide a job for me and He did. But commuting there took me two hours and time spent on the job wore me down. I also lost precious time I used to spend with God and gradually my health was affected. I have learned to be content. What's more precious than growing in intimacy with God and loving others? if you're looking to spend more time with God then taking up a job offer isn't your answer, however, if you have financial needs that might overwhelm you without income from a job, you will have to settle for one but pray that it gives you some time to serve God.

I feel that I was and am going through that very same situation. I definitely want to spend more time with God with a clear mind. I also want time to enjoy the life he has graciously given us so we can witness the joys of what he has created. I don't believe we are created to be slaves to work. We are to focus on relationships too and we can't do that without time. I think for me that between the two jobs, I would have to take the one that probably requires less of a commute in hopes that the extra time will not be taken up by longer working hours and instead be allocated to more fruitful activities. I took the job for which I had anxiety about just because superficially it seems to offer the more time. I just pray that it is the correct path and that the Lord blesses or corrects it if it wasn't the right choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redeemed06

Aug 6, 2020
WINCHESTER
✟7,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, avoidance is key in this type of relationship. Any relationship that drains life out of someone should be totally avoided especially when you have checked yourself against the Bible and the Holy Spirit confirms that you need to stay away. You can continue talking to her over the phone but limit contact and avoid engaging in discussions that will allow her to pull you down. We all need healthy people in our lifes that lift us up and not the other way around.
As per your job, I think you should pray about it and ask God for directions. I was once working for people but it drained me out. Now I work for myself and I love what I do and I have peace of mind. Let God lead you. When I first started my business, my husband supported me but he was a bit skeptical about it but I know I prayed and heard God correctly. At first , it was dragging but I persisted through prayers and giving it my best shot. Today, the story has changed, it’s better and ofcourse , am still striving for the best. So it’s key that we know through prayers what God wants us to do. I wish you all the best.

Yes! Thank you so much for your inspiring and hopeful success story. What a big leap of faith it takes to do something like that. At the moment, God has been silent about the choice, and all I can pray for is that I made the best decision based on the available information with the best intentions in mind. I pray the Lord continues to bless your pursuits.

Reactions: Angeltp
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

With work, I normally just take it as it comes. Trusting that God will put me where he wants me. I am sure everything will work out fine for you. The bible tells us "All things work together for the good of those who love God", this situation will lead to good, God promises to make the best of every situation we enter.

Upvote 0