• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

God's Grace...

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by annad347, Jan 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM.

1. annad347

annad347 Catholic, Lutheran, Christian Supporter

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Is it okay to take advantage of God's grace?

Does God want us to take advantage of His grace?

If it is not okay to take advantage of God's grace, is possible we are taking advantage of His grace without realizing it?

Finally how can we we know we are taking advantage so we can stop abusing the gift that was freely given to us by God?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Member Supporter

+41,582
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hello @annad347, what do you mean? How can we "take advantage" of God's grace (quite frankly, who among us would be capable of such a thing) :scratch:

Thanks!

--David

3. annad347

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    pretty much the same as you would take advantage of someone who is helping, doing, giving you something because they love you.

like when if a friend offers to help you with a project because they want to help, and you take advantage by giving them more and more to do, they end up working on the project more then you are... you thank them but still give them more to do.

or if someone offers to pay for dinner when you go out to eat, you choose the most expensive item on the menu, even order more than you can eat just so you can take some home... you thank them but never offer to return the sweet gesture.

Those are extreme ways of taking advantage of someone, very obvious forms, but then there are the ones when you don't even know you're taking advantage of someone until it's pointed out to you.

4. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Member Supporter

+41,582
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    So, you believe that it is possible for us to take advantage of God? ... and that He would actually allow us to do so (or would not know that we were doing so until it was too late)?

Also, while I understand your examples about us taking advantage of others, what would be an example of a person taking advantage of God and (in particular) of His grace?

Thanks again :)

--David

5. Tigger45

Tigger45 St. Joseph Supporter

+10,520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    In a way I believe it is possible to take advantage of God’s Grace but God is always a step ahead of us and uses those events as lessons learned to help us progress in our spiritual journey.

6. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,695
    Catholic
    Married
    ?? Grace is a gift-it's God's life working within us. He covets our acceptance of it, our 'taking advantage' of it, for our own good-because only good comes from His grace. It's like the talents in the Parable of the Talents: He gives us the resource to invest, then we're expected to invest and increase it.

7. annad347

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    That's what I'm asking, if it's okay to do so... and I guess I'm also asking if it's possible. Lyric's in a song made me ask the questions, they used the word abuse God's grace, but to abuse God's grace is not having God at all, so I asked about take advantage, because when done can sometimes be considered a form or abuse.

Free will would be the reason we might be doing it till the point it is too late... lack of understanding what you are doing could be lead "take advantage of" can lead to abuse, which can been done until it is too late. Will God allow us to be lost too Him till it was too late, no way would God ever allow that too happen... but if we don't know we need God to stop us, don't we first need to know we need to stop to ask Him to help us to stop?

With God it would be, sin... sorry, sin... sorry. You're sorry becomes far and few in between falling from sin. A fly by type of sorry... or even a "hey God, you know, whoops."

Taking advantage of God's grace would also in include putting Him aside for when you have time for Him, instead of making time for Him.... or only remembering Him only when it's continent for you, not Him or only when you have problems. Forgetting more than remembering to say "thank you." Taking more than giving to God.

but from what I'm understanding here, it's all good with God, as long as you return to Him... right?

8. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+1,080
    Christian
    Single
    I don’t think that is possible.

9. splish- splash

splish- splash Finding peace in purpose! Be drenched! Supporter

+954
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Let us refuse to be comfortable Christians. So we will not keep on sinning at will, all because we know that Our God is a gracious Father.