Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We love because He first loved us (1Jn 4.19). The only remedy for our brokenness is to accept His free offer, to dare to approach Him, with our warts and all, knowing we are completely unworthy, but trusting in His goodness, love, mercy and grace.

The difference between godly and worldly sorrow sometimes is a fine line, and the critical factor is how we respond to our broken condition. The Lord always wants us to draw near to Him and to feed on Him, not to shrink away.

Without Him we can do nothing (Jn 15.5), and in us dwells no good thing save Christ Jesus (Rom 7.18). So the Lord is not surprised by our fallenness. He knew all about, and what it would Cost to fix us, far better than we ever will, before He came to redeem us, and indeed, before the foundations of the world. Yet He went ahead with his plan of creation and redemption, because He wanted us with Him. It would be a shame not to take up His free offer, since the Price has already been paid. His desire is to Save, not to condemn (Jn 3.17).

God is letting you see your faults not to drive you away, but to cause you to turn to Him. This is how we learn to place no confidence in the flesh (Php 3.3), and trust only in His power working in us (Php 2.13; 1Cor 15.10)).

Once we're onboard with that, it actually becomes the very source of our rest. As we continue to look to Him, our true nature in Him is revealed to us, and we are changed into His likeness (2Cor 3.18).

In short, it's not about our inability, it's about His ability, and His love.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It became apparent to me that I have been living as a hypocrite, and I want to be truly saved. Studying a bit more about this, it seems that to be truly converted I must repent of sin, and many say that to truly repent of sin I must have Godly sorrow.

What does it mean to repent of your sin? Do you know? Repentance is simply changing your mind, amending your thinking about a thing. Repentance precedes conversion; it is the ground out of which conversion arises. It isn't just from sin that you must repent, however. You won't repent of your sin until you've changed your mind about other things, like the deep heinousness of your sin, the fact that you've been living in rebellion toward God, the emptiness and futility of living apart from God, the reality of God's wrath and eternal punishment of the unrepentant wicked, and the incredible, awesome love, mercy and grace God has shown to you in the death of His Son on your behalf. About these things, God must give you repentance. (2 Timothy 2:25) You cannot work up genuine repentance and the godly sorrow it produces from within yourself. Pray, then, that God would break your self-will and pride and bring you into humble submission to Himself. Pray that He would change, not just your mind, but your heart, about His great love for you and your desperate need of a Saviour.

The problem is, when I realized that I wasn't a true Christian, I became afraid of going to Hell.

God would have you come to Him, not merely to escape hell, but because you realize how good, and loving, and gracious He is and want to walk in joyful fellowship with Him. The First and Great Commandment isn't to go to church, or to read your Bible, but to love God with all of your being. (Matthew 22:36-38) This is the heart of your relationship with God, not fear. In fact, God won't accept from us any obedience that doesn't arise from this motive (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

I have been reading a lot about this Godly sorrow, but how does one notice sorrow when there is a fear over not feeling it?

You are not God and so cannot generate godly sorrow on your own. Such sorrow God must work into you. And He will as you take time to consider His great love for you expressed in the sacrifice of His Son for you, and as you ask Him to soften your heart, break your pride, and lead you into godly sorrow over your sin.

I was someone who thought I was born again and suddenly realized that I wasn't showing any signs of it. Before I could feel any true sorrow, I got scared and the fear hasn't gone away too much.

Rather than fear, you ought to feel joy that you've realized the falseness of your conversion and can do something about it before it's too late.

If Godly sorrow is a gift from God, I know it is not something I myself can "do". Would God leave me in a state where I knew I was lost, and yet not be able to be saved?

No. The Gospel is the "power of God unto salvation." If you know the truths of the Gospel, you are able to make a choice to humble yourself under them and be saved.

Do I just wait for the Holy Spirit to work on me, and will He do so despite my fear?

God works in response to your prayers for a changed heart and life. You don't have because you don't ask. (Matthew 7:7-8) So, plead with God to change you, and keep pleading until He does. Study the Gospel. Let its truths saturate your mind and heart. Most of all, learn of the stunning love God has for you and let it fill your heart with trust and love for Christ. (1 John 4:16-19)

Reactions: Justasking123
Upvote 0

Justasking123

Nov 7, 2019
B
✟30,164.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was walking and praying this evening, and I was struck again with a great sorrow over my rebellion against God, which comes with a great desire to have Him in my life and to live for Him rather than myself. This happens now and then when I consider His love and my sin. It also comes when I realize the inescapable fact that He created me.

But it still feels like selfishness is at the root of it all, because I am sorry when I think of what He did for me. Or when I think of how I am His creation and how terribly wrong it therefore is for me to rebel at all.

How do I love Him with a selfless love? Or is a selfless love even possible?

Are you still on this Forum? How did it go for you cedward 1?

Upvote 0