NoVa
✟166,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think my mom is mainly annoyed by people suggesting when you write God in lowercase letter you are referring to false gods
Given the diversity of responses to this op perhaps she should give heed to those complaints. She may not intend to reference false gods but many here found reason to use a capital G. This may be something where Romans 12:18 is applicable or perhaps even the principles behind Romans 14 when Paul is writing about food offered to idols.

Romans 12:17-18
"Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men."

Romans 14:13-17
"Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way. I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. For if because of [a lower case "g"] your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit....."

Seems silly, yes? Many here found reason to dissent, though. Despite her liberty to use a small "g" it simply may not be a blessing to others.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was going to post in TAW but since this is something that involved my Evangelical mom, I better ask here. Also, though the issue was in Spanish (with God being Dios), I think it might be the same in English:

My mom was checking her Christian page in FB and there was a post that we should put God in uppercase because "god" means fake gods so she wrote down that "God" nor "god" really matters but having a relationship with God and that issue was just being "fanatic".

Then there were passive-aggressive responses from both sides.

What's your opinion?

To me it is.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't help but wonder: Don't we, in English, capitalize I when speaking of ourselves? Most people don't say, for example, "my husband and i." It's "my husband and I." How many people would say it doesn't matter? Wouldn't the capital letter be correct?

So why do people have trouble with capitalizing the G in God?

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was going to post in TAW but since this is something that involved my Evangelical mom, I better ask here. Also, though the issue was in Spanish (with God being Dios), I think it might be the same in English:

My mom was checking her Christian page in FB and there was a post that we should put God in uppercase because "god" means fake gods so she wrote down that "God" nor "god" really matters but having a relationship with God and that issue was just being "fanatic".

What's your opinion?
It's ultimately whether or not the term is being used as a proper noun or not. When we refer to God it's more of a title or position than name but we use it as a name, but the word god can be lowercase when we're referring to the term in general and not a specific god, not our God. IE we might say God is a god. Similarly other ways we refer to Him, like Lord, King, or even just He/His/Him. If we're using those words as a substitute for His name, then capitalization shows respect and is just proper English when you capitalize pronouns.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,375.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

What's your opinion?

Capitalizing God or He, His, Your when speaking of God is an old and very pious tradition which is as much about showing respect to God as it is to remind us that we are to respect God always and in everything that we do.

Why not do it? It takes no time and no effort to do so; and it is a witness to others.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,375.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. Many people misunderstand what is meant when we speak of the "persons" of God because they cannot get beyond the idea that "person" means an individual human and that, therefore, God is a trio of separate beings, like a committee.
Committee is not a great analogy:
upload_2019-11-23_7-17-50.png
upload_2019-11-23_7-20-33.png

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What's your opinion?

Honestly, why would anyone be agressive about it? Mentioning it out of kindness is of course in order, because God, Jawhe, is to be with uppercase.

Upvote 0