God vs. Satan - if God is all-powerful, why does He not just kill Satan?

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the mysteries of the Christian life is why God didn’t destroy Satan immediately after Satan sinned. We know that God will one day defeat Satan by throwing him into the Lake of Fire where he will be tortured day and night forever (Revelation 20:10), but sometimes we wonder why God has not destroyed Satan already. Perhaps we will never know God’s exact reasoning, but we do know certain things about His nature.

First, we know God is absolutely sovereign over all creation, and this includes Satan. Certainly, Satan and his demons wreak havoc in the world, but they are only allowed a certain amount of freedom. We also know that God has planned everything from the beginning of time to the end. Nothing can thwart His plans, and things are proceeding exactly on schedule. “The LORD of hosts has sworn: ‘As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand’” (Isaiah 14:24).

Second, “we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28). Whatever God has planned for Satan, that plan will be the best one possible. God’s perfect wrath and justice will be satisfied, and His perfect righteousness will be glorified. Those who love Him and who wait for His plan to be fulfilled will be thrilled to be part of that plan and will praise and glorify Him as they see it unfold.

Third, we know that to question God’s plan and its timing is to question God Himself, His judgment, His character and His very nature. It is not wise to question His right to do exactly as He pleases. The psalmist tells us, “As for God, His way is perfect” (Psalm 18:30). Whatever plan comes from the mind of the Almighty is the best plan possible. It is true that we can’t expect to understand that mind perfectly, as He reminds us, “‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ says the LORD. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts’” (Isaiah 55:8-9). Nevertheless, our responsibility to God is to obey Him, to trust Him, and to submit to His will, whether we understand it or not. In the case of His timing for Satan’s demise, it has to be the best possible plan because it is God’s plan.

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay...oks/product?event=AFF&p=1011693&item_no=42700

Quasar92

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One of the mysteries of the Christian life is why God didn’t destroy Satan immediately after Satan sinned. We know that God will one day defeat Satan by throwing him into the Lake of Fire where he will be tortured day and night forever (Revelation 20:10), but sometimes we wonder why God has not destroyed Satan already. Perhaps we will never know God’s exact reasoning, but we do know certain things about His nature.

First, we know God is absolutely sovereign over all creation, and this includes Satan. Certainly, Satan and his demons wreak havoc in the world, but they are only allowed a certain amount of freedom. We also know that God has planned everything from the beginning of time to the end. Nothing can thwart His plans, and things are proceeding exactly on schedule. “The LORD of hosts has sworn: ‘As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand’” (Isaiah 14:24).

Second, “we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28). Whatever God has planned for Satan, that plan will be the best one possible. God’s perfect wrath and justice will be satisfied, and His perfect righteousness will be glorified. Those who love Him and who wait for His plan to be fulfilled will be thrilled to be part of that plan and will praise and glorify Him as they see it unfold.

Third, we know that to question God’s plan and its timing is to question God Himself, His judgment, His character and His very nature. It is not wise to question His right to do exactly as He pleases. The psalmist tells us, “As for God, His way is perfect” (Psalm 18:30). Whatever plan comes from the mind of the Almighty is the best plan possible. It is true that we can’t expect to understand that mind perfectly, as He reminds us, “‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ says the LORD. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts’” (Isaiah 55:8-9). Nevertheless, our responsibility to God is to obey Him, to trust Him, and to submit to His will, whether we understand it or not. In the case of His timing for Satan’s demise, it has to be the best possible plan because it is God’s plan.

Quasar92

Are you familiar with Job, in the Old Testament?

• Haha
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you be so kind as to elaborate a bit, brother?

Thank you kindly.
How can we know good unless we understand bad? How can we appreciate love unless we have been exposed to hate? Light has a beauty we desire because we know and are exposed to darkness. Our lives are geared around a choice... God said in Deuteronomy, "I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing, therefore choose life that you might live." (paraphrased) Satan is not God's opposite, Satan is a tool that reveals the greatness of our God.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
How can we know good unless we understand bad? How can we appreciate love unless we have been exposed to hate? Light has a beauty we desire because we know and are exposed to darkness. Our lives are geared around a choice... God said in Deuteronomy, "I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing, therefore choose life that you might live." (paraphrased) Satan is not God's opposite, Satan is a tool that reveals the greatness of our God.

I mostly agree, brother. I do believe that Satan is God's adversary, and surely ours, and that he "taunts" God as he accuses us before Him. He is the accuser, of which he never tires of doing.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Quasar92
Yes, the devil's tares are destined to grow up with the wheat in the struggle which brings about two harvests; the flourishing of the seed of God and the flourishing of the seed of the enemy. This has been preordained and at the end of the Day it will be glorious and good. Despite the hardships in overcoming every evil thrown against it God's love is manifestly glorious beyond measure. Betsy Ten Bonn said it best, “There is no pit so deep, that God’s love is not deeper still.” His Light is magnified most against the deepest darkness and shining more than a trillion suns blots it out.
  • Revelation 14:18-19 And another angel came out from the altar, who had power over fire, and he cried with a loud cry to him who had the sharp sickle, saying, "Thrust in your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth, for her grapes are fully ripe." So the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth, and threw it into the great wine-press of the wrath of God.
  • Luke 17:1 Then He (Jesus) said to the disciples, "It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Quasar92
It is Christians who fight Ephesians 6:12 and in turn there will come a time when we 2 Corinthians 10:6 happens.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would just like to add something, maybe a talking point, maybe just my own thought.

But maybe when God created creation with free-will He held Himself to a standard of not destroying His own creation for exercising that free-will.

To me it doesn't make sense that an all powerful God would give His creation free-will and then destroy all that don't agree with Him. That to me would not be just, although God "could" do it as He is all powerful, but that doesn't seem like God's way to me.

This is opinion. My opinion

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

ChristopherK

Jun 2, 2017
New York
✟13,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would just like to add something, maybe a talking point, maybe just my own thought.

But maybe when God created creation with free-will He held Himself to a standard of not destroying His own creation for exercising that free-will.

To me it doesn't make sense that an all powerful God would give His creation free-will and then destroy all that don't agree with Him. That to me would not be just, although God "could" do it as He is all powerful, but that doesn't seem like God's way to me.

This is opinion. My opinion

God doesn't destroy those who disagree with Him. He provides for them the free grace of Jesus Christ as a means of salvation so that man is without excuse. If they do not repent, He sentences them to eternal judgment in Hell which is a place completely devoid of God's grace, mercy, peace, and love.

I think a good number of people struggle with the correlation to our free will, and God's omnipotence. The fact remains though that we are all creations who are given life by the mercy of God to bear His glory. Creations are always created by a creator to be used how the he/she sees fit (Rom. 9:14-24). In the case of God, while He is The Creator of all things, He is also Perfectly Good, and Loving so while we do not know the complete manifold wisdom of God, we can still take comfort in His will being done, and being done for our good (Rom. 8:28).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't destroy those who disagree with Him. He provides for them the free grace of Jesus Christ as a means of salvation so that man is without excuse. If they do not repent, He sentences them to eternal judgment in Hell which is a place completely devoid of God's grace, mercy, peace, and love.

I think a good number of people struggle with the correlation to our free will, and God's omnipotence. The fact remains though that we are all creations who are given life by the mercy of God to bear His glory. Creations are always created by a creator to be used how the he/she sees fit (Rom. 9:14-24). In the case of God, while He is The Creator of all things, He is also Perfectly Good, and Loving so while we do not know the complete manifold wisdom of God, we can still take comfort in His will being done, and being done for our good (Rom. 8:28).
I was referring to the OP asking why God does not destroy satan. Because satan isn't offered salvation, nor are the fallen angels.

Salvation through Christ is for humans only. Satan has already been judged, which is why Revelation, written 2,000 years ago already says that satan and the fallen angels will be going to the Lake of Fire.

It's already done.

Upvote 0

ChristopherK

Jun 2, 2017
New York
✟13,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was referring to the OP asking why God does not destroy satan. Because satan isn't offered salvation, nor are the fallen angels.

Salvation through Christ is for humans only. Satan has already been judged, which is why Revelation, written 2,000 years ago already says that satan and the fallen angels will be going to the Lake of Fire.

It's already done.

Oh, I wasn't referring to Satan and the other angels. You're response didn't really allude to it referring to Satan. Thanks for clarifying.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mostly agree, brother. I do believe that Satan is God's adversary, and surely ours, and that he "taunts" God as he accuses us before Him. He is the accuser, of which he never tires of doing.

Agreed but I want to share a thought. This isn't directed at you, it is just a general statement for all of us to consider.

Long ago people who were part of the Zoroastrian religion converted to Christianity. Zoroastrianism has two gods, essentially a god of "good" and a god of "evil." They are equal in power but opposites in the sense of righteousness and unrighteousness.

When these people converted, they accepted the messiah and the basic tenets of the faith but their paradigm.... the lens they were raised to see through, was Zoroastrian. So, it was easy for them to view "haSatan" (The Adversary) as God's evil equal. We have a slight undertone of this within Christianity today. To hear some people talk it is almost as if Satan is a God in his own right, just opposite of the true God. Usually when I point out what I am about to say, they answer with, "Oh, of course I know that!" Yet, they way they talk stands opposed to that confession.

Satan is a created being who is not omnipotent. He cannot be "making me do it" (whatever "it" is :) ) and influencing you at the same time. God can, literally, speak a word and Satan would be gone... if that was God's desire. And there is "nothing" Satan can do about that. Even in the book of Job we see the Sons of God (angels) standing before God with Satan there with them... petitioning for Job. They had to ask, they are still, no matter how great and powerful we make them sound, subservient to God. They are created beings who chose against God and their final demise is written and will come to pass and again, they have no power to change that.

When YHWH said in Isaiah 45:7, "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil" He was speaking to a follower of Zoroastrianism and was simply stating, "there aren't two gods, I am it." Satan is literally a tool, nothing more.

Blessings all.
Ken

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God vs. Satan - if God is all-powerful, why does He not just kill Satan?

I think there is two reasons:

1. God loves all and therefore gives this chance

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

2. People wanted to know evil in the garden of Eden. That is why we are here, in this place that seems to be the first death, to learn what evil truly means. Perhaps for the lesson, Satan still remains.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Agreed but I want to share a thought. This isn't directed at you, it is just a general statement for all of us to consider.

Long ago people who were part of the Zoroastrian religion converted to Christianity. Zoroastrianism has two gods, essentially a god of "good" and a god of "evil." They are equal in power but opposites in the sense of righteousness and unrighteousness.

When these people converted, they accepted the messiah and the basic tenets of the faith but their paradigm.... the lens they were raised to see through, was Zoroastrian. So, it was easy for them to view "haSatan" (The Adversary) as God's evil equal. We have a slight undertone of this within Christianity today. To hear some people talk it is almost as if Satan is a God in his own right, just opposite of the true God. Usually when I point out what I am about to say, they answer with, "Oh, of course I know that!" Yet, they way they talk stands opposed to that confession.

Satan is a created being who is not omnipotent. He cannot be "making me do it" (whatever "it" is :) ) and influencing you at the same time. God can, literally, speak a word and Satan would be gone... if that was God's desire. And there is "nothing" Satan can do about that. Even in the book of Job we see the Sons of God (angels) standing before God with Satan there with them... petitioning for Job. They had to ask, they are still, no matter how great and powerful we make them sound, subservient to God. They are created beings who chose against God and their final demise is written and will come to pass and again, they have no power to change that.

When YHWH said in Isaiah 45:7, "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil" He was speaking to a follower of Zoroastrianism and was simply stating, "there aren't two gods, I am it." Satan is literally a tool, nothing more.

Blessings all.
Ken

This is an entire study in itself, isn't it? Yes, Satan is a "created" being. He attempted to be as God, however, and therein was his sin.

PRIDE.

It is written that he is the accuser. Of COURSE he's not the living GOD. He is the opposer of God and all who are the children of God.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you misunderstood my post.

No, I didn't, that was why I said that what I was writing wasn't directed at you. It was just a thought that I believed I could share that is related to this topic. :) You have said some very insightful and wise things.

Blessings.
Ken

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I didn't, that was why I said that what I was writing wasn't directed at you. It was just a thought that I believed I could share that is related to this topic. :) You have said some very insightful and wise things.

Blessings.
Ken

Thank you for the clarification. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One glory of God is his great love, expressed in his mercy.
Mercy requires an offense.
Offenses require a tempter.
God does not tempt.
So Satan, the tempter exists until the full number of souls have been brought in.

Ephesians 2:4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Romans 11:25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in,

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One glory of God is his great love, expressed in his mercy.
Mercy requires an offense.
Offenses require a tempter.
God does not tempt.
So Satan, the tempter exists until the full number of souls have been brought in.

Not sure I agree with the last sentence (could just be semantics, doesn't matter anyway) but I certainly agree with the rest. He has a function, God is using him... Satan is a tool.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not sure I agree with the last sentence (could just be semantics, doesn't matter anyway) but I certainly agree with the rest. He has a function, God is using him... Satan is a tool.
Love that when you said 'Satan is a tool'. So right.

Upvote 0