✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not personalities, but persons.
Three persons with one personality is a clone, not theologically sound doctrine. And you're the one who previously said they had 3 different operations! See message #14. It's sad that the OP understands Christianity better than Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Three persons with one personality is a clone, not theologically sound doctrine. And you're the one who previously said they had 3 different operations! See message #14. It's sad that the OP understands Christianity better than Christians.

1) I didn't say "three persons with one personality"
2) I've never said "they had 3 different operations", are you referring to a previous conversation where I had said that I believe the three Persons have agency? Because that's certainly not the same thing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1) I didn't say "three persons with one personality"
2) I've never said "they had 3 different operations", are you referring to a previous conversation where I had said that I believe the three Persons have agency? Because that's certainly not the same thing.
Yes, you're right, it was 3 different agencies. Why then did you object for the Holy Trinity having / containing / including 3 personalities?

What is the relationship between agency, will, personality, person, entity, etc.? My aim is to discover accurate modern vocabulary to describe the Trinity to non-Christians and new Christians, a challenge that is become more acute every day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, as I've read it hear, God is of one substance, but three personalities.

❤What do you MEAN by substance? What are the characteristics of this substance?

What IS personality?
What is the difference in personality for each figure of the Trinity?

Is the human nature and personality of Jesus-the-man separate, or the same thing as, his God-personality?

What are the personalities of the Father and the Holy Spirit?

Thanks, cheers, ta.

It's rather like how ants speculate the anatomy of a human.
God is a Trinity. However humans may not be able to be precise on the "anatomy" of God.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes, you're right, it was 3 different agencies. Why then did you object for the Holy Trinity having / containing / including 3 personalities?

What is the relationship between agency, will, personality, person, entity, etc.? My aim is to discover accurate modern vocabulary to describe the Trinity to non-Christians and new Christians, a challenge that is become more acute every day.

Personality to me suggests an outward face, something closer to the wearing a mask, i.e. a kind of Modalism.

A personality is what a person "wears" toward others. Personality is fluid, my personality can change depending entirely on who I'm talking to. That's pretty normal. So that is why, at least to me, personality suggests something like an outward face, or mask, an act or presentation. Hence why I think it is troublingly Modalistic.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personality to me suggests an outward face, something closer to the wearing a mask, i.e. a kind of Modalism.

A personality is what a person "wears" toward others. Personality is fluid, my personality can change depending entirely on who I'm talking to. That's pretty normal. So that is why, at least to me, personality suggests something like an outward face, or mask, an act or presentation. Hence why I think it is troublingly Modalistic.
I understand your point of view. Interesting that it is exact opposite to the objection of several members who think that God has one personality:

Understanding the Trinity

How do we explain the difference? Are Christians incapable of understanding each other when talking about the Trinity? We're so afraid of falling into certain heresies that we fall into the opposite heresies. Think Modalism vs Tritheism.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

These questions are to some extent going beyond the ancient creeds. But I think most of what we associate with personality is one in the Trinity. That specifically includes will. I believe there is also a single operation.

I don't think the way to talk with people about the Trinity is to try and explain ousia and hypostasis, because that doesn't help someone understand why the idea is there in the first place.

I suggest instead starting with the concept that Jesus shows us God. If Jesus shows us God, what kind of God does he show us? A purely monadic God as in Islam won't do, because as Muslims are clear, that kind of God can't be born and die. The God that Jesus shows us has in his own experience both the creative authority of the father and the obedience of the son. The assumption here is that Jesus' obedient love isn't something that Jesus invented for himself, but that it reflects God. If so, then God has within himself both sides of the relationship of love. Indeed for Augustine (who is really the most important theologian in the West), what makes the Trinity is relationship. There's only enough distinction among the persons as are needed for there to be a relationship.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Here are some of my observations:

These questions are to some extent going beyond the ancient creeds. But I think most of what we associate with personality is one in the Trinity. That specifically includes will. I believe there is also a single operation.
The Encyclopedia Brittanica defines personality as follows:

"Personality, a characteristic way of thinking, feeling, and behaving. Personality embraces moods, attitudes, and opinions and is most clearly expressed in interactions with other people. It includes behavioral characteristics, both inherent and acquired, that distinguish one person from another and that can be observed in people’s relations to the environment and to the social group."

"The study of personality can be said to have its origins in the fundamental idea that people are distinguished by their characteristic individual patterns of behaviour—the distinctive ways in which they walk, talk, furnish their living quarters, or express their urges. Whatever the behaviour, personologists—as those who systematically study personality are called—examine how people differ in the ways they express themselves and attempt to determine the causes of these differences."

We accept that the Holy Trinity has one will. Does this necessarily imply one personality? I'm not convinced and neither are the articles I quoted in post #14.

I don't think the way to talk with people about the Trinity is to try and explain ousia and hypostasis, because that doesn't help someone understand why the idea is there in the first place.
Yes, this is exactly the issue. The International Consultation on English Texts published an English translation of the Nicene Creed in 1975. This was included in the 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship and the 1979 Episcopal Church Book of Common Prayer. This translation made a great decision by rendering "ousia" into "being."

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.

I suggest instead starting with the concept that Jesus shows us God. If Jesus shows us God, what kind of God does he show us? A purely monadic God as in Islam won't do, because as Muslims are clear, that kind of God can't be born and die. The God that Jesus shows us has in his own experience both the creative authority of the father and the obedience of the son. The assumption here is that Jesus' obedient love isn't something that Jesus invented for himself, but that it reflects God. If so, then God has within himself both sides of the relationship of love. Indeed for Augustine (who is really the most important theologian in the West), what makes the Trinity is relationship.
Great. I like this. I hope @Tellyontellyon is listening.

There's only enough distinction among the persons as are needed for there to be a relationship.
The ICET dealt with the word "ousia." We still need to deal with the word "hypostasis." You described the persons as 3 "entities" in a previous message and I heard many Christians use "entities" in private conversations. I like it a lot better than "persons." Are there any theological objections to this?

We can also say 3 "modes." The word "mode" is currently used quite a bit in computers and other electronic devices and it is well understood. Objections come from resemblance to the concept of "modalistic monarchism." But if we make sure we're talking about "eternally-coexistent modes" then that is clearly different from the modalism. No?

I know there are theological objections to everything :) but is one of these good enough? Can we say this to a Muslim, an Atheist or the Buddhist in the OP?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
"Being" seems like a better translation of hypostasis than "person," but it has many of the same problems: It really sounds like three gods, no matter what you say to trying avoid that. I prefer "modes of being." This isn't modalism, because modalism saw the modes either as sequential or as different ways God related to the world. But under the relational model I just described, the three ways of relating are inherent in God.

I note that the Nicene Creed doesn't talk about three of anything, and that's the official definition of the Trinity. The only ontological term it uses is "substance," but historians agree that the people at Nicea understood it in different ways. That's actually the only reason they were able to agree on the language. Some understood one substance is meaning that the Father and Son were the same entity. Others took it generically, meaning that they were the same kind of entity.

I'd just stay away from ontological language entirely and say we have one God who experiences existence in three ways. The early 20th Cent Catholic Encyclopedia says this: "Granted that in the infinite mind, in which the categories are transcended, there are three relations which are subsistent realities, distinguished one from another in virtue of their relative opposition then it will follow that the same mind will have a three-fold consciousness, knowing itself in three ways in accordance with its three modes of existence. It is impossible to establish that, in regard of the infinite mind, such a supposition involves a contradiction." Even this goes further into ontology than I would, but it shows that even traditionalist theology can use the term "modes of existence."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Being" seems like a better translation of hypostasis than "person," but it has many of the same problems: It really sounds like three gods, no matter what you say to trying avoid that.
Actually, this is not what I wrote. The ICET uses "one Being" to translate "homoousios." So, "being" is not "hypostasis" otherwise there would be 3 gods, as you say. There is only one Being.

I prefer "modes of being." This isn't modalism, because modalism saw the modes either as sequential or as different ways God related to the world. But under the relational model I just described, the three ways of relating are inherent in God.
I like that.

The early 20th Cent Catholic Encyclopedia says this: "Granted that in the infinite mind, in which the categories are transcended, there are three relations which are subsistent realities, distinguished one from another in virtue of their relative opposition then it will follow that the same mind will have a three-fold consciousness, knowing itself in three ways in accordance with its three modes of existence. It is impossible to establish that, in regard of the infinite mind, such a supposition involves a contradiction."
"Subsistent realities" is a direct translation of "hypostases." It is accurate but difficult to explain to an unbeliever or a new believer. "A three-fold consciousness" sounds like 3 personalities? "Modes of existence" is good. A modern person should be able to relate to this.

You might find the article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy interesting: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/trinity/
You quoted this and I read it before. It is the best discussion of the subject I've seen.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, this is not what I wrote. The ICET uses "one Being" to translate "homoousios." So, "being" is not "hypostasis" otherwise there would be 3 gods, as you say. There is only one Being.
Translating this term is difficult. It is very likely that the Nicene Creed got so much agreement because homooousias is ambiguous. It was apparently understood by different people as either a numerically single concrete substance, or two entities of the same kind. Both reject Arianism, but they lead to different concepts of the Trinity.

Saying that Father and Son share one Being probably captures that ambiguity, because it's fairly clear that Being is used in a philosophical sense. Saying that Father and Son *are* one Being, however, leads to at least one-self Trinity. I believe the ICET "of one Being with the Father" is intended to say that they share one being. However I'm not sure whether this would be clear to everyone using the creed. I think many people might understand it as saying that Father and Son are one Being. I don't object, but I think some of the original people who agreed to Nicea might.

• Agree
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I think it's a mistake to use the number three at all. Yes, there's some distinction within God. But the moment we try to define what there is three of, we get in trouble. Scripture never calls God three. Neither does the Nicene Creed. I accept the Trinity. I think something like it is inevitable the moment we say that Jesus shows us God. But I don't think the Trinity is about the number three.

I see something similar in Aquinas. I just looked at the online copy of the Summa, at newadvent.org. He says the following of the number:

"Number is twofold, simple or absolute, as two and three and four; and number as existing in things numbered, as two men and two horses. So, if number in God is taken absolutely or abstractedly, there is nothing to prevent whole and part from being in Him, and thus number in Him is only in our way of understanding; forasmuch as number regarded apart from things numbered exists only in the intellect. But if number be taken as it is in the things numbered, in that sense as existing in creatures, one is part of two, and two of three, as one man is part of two men, and two of three; but this does not apply to God, because the Father is of the same magnitude as the whole Trinity, as we shall show further on (I:42:1 and I:42:4)."

He goes on in a later section to say that numerical terms do not denote anything real in God.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is said, that is for sure, but it is untrue, according to scripture.

The Christian faith confesses one God in Trinity, Trinity in unity, neither confusing the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. One God, three Persons.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0