Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I always struggled to believe others when they say they can hear God's voice and that He tells them things because I never experienced it. It finally happened to me and it was incredible. Have any of you heard from God?

It happened to me on 10 April 1969. I went out into a golf course in the middle of the night and introduced myself to God, because after two years in a church I wasn't going anywhere and although I was learning all the religious stuff, I didn't know the God behind it all and no one was able to introduce me to Him. So I went out and introduced myself and said God, I am very glad to meet you. What happened was that I heard the unmistakable voice of God in my heart. It was very real and a type of voice I had never "heard" before. It was as if God was speaking to my spirit and my mind was interpreting what was being communicated to my spirit. One moment I was in darkness and the next I felt like I was lit up like the ocean liner Queen Mary. He told me that He had been waiting all this time for me to leave the religious stuff and come directly to Him. He told me that to be a real Christian all I needed was to just be myself, and I replied that everyone will see all my sins and failures. He told me that the only Person needing to be impressed was Him and if He didn't like anything about me, He would change me. Since them there have been many times when God has spoken to my spirit and heart and I have recognised His voice. I have never felt loneliness from that day on because I just know that He is right there with me even though I can't see him. There were moments on that golf course that if Jesus had walked out from behind a tree, I would not have been surprised, such was the real sense of His presence during that time.

These days the voice is not so loud, because over the years I have learned to live by faith in His Word, so now His voice is like a still small voice, but it has the same strength, character, and a particular sense of humour about it that I recognise when He speaks to me. In one church service I asked Him why nothing was happening. He said, "They have tied Me up and put me in the corner so I can't move!" This was because the church programme was so man-organised that God couldn't even get a word in. He is a gentleman and does not force Himself into situations or on people. I know a wonderful pastor and good mentor of mine and he was praying one day and he told the Lord he didn't know what to do about a certain situation. The Lord replied, "I don't know either. What do you think?" This was like a judge I once worked with when I was the court registrar in the Family Court. When I went up and got the judge to come down to run the court, on the way he would ask, "Paul, how do you think we should handle this case?" I was flabbergasted to think that an important judge would ask me, a lowly registrar how a court case should be handled! That judge became the chief Family Court Judge in New Zealand for a time and was very well respected. He had a love and respect for people. He was a joy to work with. I think God is like that. He is a joy and a pleasure to fellowship with, serve and work for at any time. The presence and voice of the Lord is so familiar to me, I will get a very pleasant surprise when Jesus comes again, because I will recognise Him as the friend with whom I have been fellowshiping with all my life since 1969.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I enjoy writing so I believe God speak to me through the words I type on my keyboard sometimes. When I write about things sometimes I am not even really thinking ahead, or have any predetermined agenda how to formulate what I'm saying but my fingers keep moving and sometimes I just sit there and the words come out. I often read it back and think people will think I'm crazy but how can I make this stuff up! Often posting questions in these forums I wind up finding answers through my responses back. Hard to explain, so I just keep writing. :)

Upvote 0

Jan800

Mar 31, 2016
AZ
✟20,688.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I always struggled to believe others when they say they can hear God's voice and that He tells them things because I never experienced it. It finally happened to me and it was incredible. Have any of you heard from God?

yes and He has many ways of speaking to us, the first is thru His word and thru His spirit. that is awesome it happened to you!!

Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Indeed I have, many a time. Great news! That is so exciting! I am happy for you. You know what this means? It means you have come a long way in your faith! It is always exciting to experience new things in Christ. Always exciting. If you ever need guidance on anything spiritual, I would love to help you! Feel free to message me anytime! May God bless you richly.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For me, once.
Last semester, as a freshman Design Engineering Technology major in college, I had a broom & was sweeping the cafeteria (my work study job). Very routine. As usual, I was spaced out, and no one else was around. Then, I was suddenly hit with an all-consuming thought, just a voice, that said "You know you'll never be happy as an engineer. Go, get a degree in theology, and teach that." It left as suddenly as it came. I just stood there for a few moments, puzzled, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I've always wanted to be a college professor in something, I could just never decide on what (and had never considered theology; my faith has been lukewarm at best up until the beginning of last semester). I had been increasingly doubtful about engineering, due to the meticulous nature of much of it, and the fact that most engineering jobs are desk jobs, which I hate.
This was shortly after the bible study group I'm in was discussing the Book of Acts, and the various visions & thoughts that God talked to the Apostles with, so I knew that this was God. Minor problem; the college I'm at doesn't have theology. Much time, effort, and stress went into searching around other colleges that offered theology. Next problem: none of those other colleges had nearly as much financial aid as I'm getting from where I am now (about $35,000). Praying to figure out why God waited until I came to the wrong college to tell me to get a degree in theology, I eventually walked over to a couple of friends at lunch, discussing their professors. Specifically, they were talking about how none of the professors know how to handle students with anxiety, depression, trouble concentrating, or even just different personalities, except for the psychology department. That's when I knew--I'm here to major in Psychology (a topic that has always fascinated me), take it to a Master's Degree in Theology (a bit unconventional, but God will make a way), and then become a university professor in Theology.
I still do a lot of theology research--I have several fascinating books & DVDs right now that I keep putting off homework & studying to read--but I know that the psychology background will help immensely.
I suppose God could still lead me to a theology school now, and after some agonizing over it, I finally came to peace, knowing that God will send me a sign I cannot mistake if He does want me to go there now, without a Bachelor's in Psychology.
So, short answer: Yes! But only once as a voice; the rest, indirectly by paying attention & praying.

Upvote 0

Tatilina

Set apart
May 23, 2012
Alberta
✟23,688.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes I have, he called my name sometime in my mid twenties? I had not been walking with God at the time. He said my name in the dead still of the night sometime in the summer. I do long to hear it again though. You never forget the sound of his gentle whispery voice-
at least it was to me.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I ever have. Sometimes a thought would come in that seems outside of myself but I'm not really sure if I ever heard His voice. It kind of saddens me honestly.
By God's Word, the Bible, is how He speaks to us authoritatively. Psalm 119.105; John 17.17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By God's Word, the Bible, is how He speaks to us authoritatively.
True. But that is not the ONLY way He speaks to us.

He can and does give specific encouragement and instruction for our individual lives.

"Today if you hear HIS voice do not harden your heart ..." 3 verses in Hebrews quoting Psalm 95.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
By God's Word, the Bible, is how He speaks to us authoritatively. Psalm 119.105; John 17.17

Here's your scripture quote John17v17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Contrary to what you imply, the use of "word" here does not mean the bible. The Greek for "word" is Logos and it is Jesus himself who is the Logos according to John1v1. Jesus is the logos/word, he is also the truth.

Jesus said, John10v27My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

It doesn't say "My sheep know my bible"!

Jesus is talking about the sounds of his voice, not written words!

If God only spoke through the bible, then He will only be able to call theologians to him.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's your scripture quote John17v17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Contrary to what you imply, the use of "word" here does not mean the bible. The Greek for "word" is Logos and it is Jesus himself who is the Logos according to John1v1. Jesus is the logos/word, he is also the truth.

Jesus said, John10v27My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

It doesn't say "My sheep know my bible"!

Jesus is talking about the sounds of his voice, not written words!

If God only spoke through the bible, then He will only be able to call theologians to him.
I believe what you say is false. End of discussion.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True. But that is not the ONLY way He speaks to us.

He can and does give specific encouragement and instruction for our individual lives.

"Today if you hear HIS voice do not harden your heart ..." 3 verses in Hebrews quoting Psalm 95.
You're quoting Scripture, of course! :)

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure if I ever have. Sometimes a thought would come in that seems outside of myself but I'm not really sure if I ever heard His voice. It kind of saddens me honestly.

If the Holy Spirit is inside you, you hear Him from inside you. Don't expect an audible voice. That is rare.

• Agree
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I believe what you say is false. End of discussion.
Then you need to explain your reasons, as I have done.
Unless you give some proof, to just state, "End of discussion," makes you look a wee bit arrogant, with yourself as the only arbiter of truth.

I stated that Jesus, not your bible, is the Logos/word, and you call that false? That will take some explaining.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then you need to explain your why, as I have done.
Unless you give some proof, to just state, "End of discussion," makes you look a wee bit arrogant, with yourself as the only arbiter of truth.
"Thy word is truth". (John 17.17)

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
"Thy word is truth". (John 17.17)
It doesn't always pay to quote half verses. In full, this is what Jesus said.-
John17v17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy "word" is truth.

Jesus is talking of himself, not the bible/scriptures. He is talking about sanctifying them through himself because Jesus, not your bible, is the way the truth and the life.
If Jesus was talking about the bible he would use the word scriptures as you will find he does elsewhere.

Lets look at that word, "word".
John1v1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God.

If Jesus was using "word" (Grk Logos) to refer to the "bible" in Jn17v17, then the same Grk Logos must also mean "bible" in Jn1v1".

Lets see how that works out?-
Jn1v1. In the beginning was the bible, and the bible was with God, and the bible was God.............
According to your reasoning, the bible is God.

Lets look a few verses further on
Jn1v14And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. And we beheld His glory, a glory as of an only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Did your bible become flesh at some stage, or does Logos perhaps refer to Jesus?

Do you get my drift?

According to your reasoning, your bible is God!

Upvote 0