✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It really makes me upset when I hear Christians say "God said "xyz""

I have no way of trusting such claims in man.

God has never directly spoken anything audible to me and I've been born again since 2005.

Its always been an interpretation of The Holy Spirit in Faith.

The only "God said" I'm comfortable to hear is His Word, the bible.

What do I do when Christians say "God said "xyz""

Onetime I was told "God said He will kill me with holy fire"

It makes me hit the floor in panic!
Whoever told you that was not speaking by THE SPIRIT and does not know GOD

GOD will never say anything outside of the TRUTH of HIS WORD

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with the words "God said" if they're followed by quoting scripture. But when someone on TV wearing a white leisure suit uses those words to say my salvation is dependent on sending him a check to fund his air conditioned dog house, I fully expect to see a lightning bolt blow him up like a cicada on a bug zapper.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AFrazier
Upvote 0

Kitty Cat

May 21, 2017
Western Cape
Visit site
✟8,017.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not the best at distinguishing between spirits I think. :(

You will get better at it. It takes time and lots of Bible reading and prayer. Satan's tools are doubt and confusion. He deceived Eve with these tools. The Holy Spirit will help you to have spiritual discernment if you read God's Word. Confession and repentance also helps to remove the wall between us and God so that we can experience His Spirit more fully.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with the words "God said" if they're followed by quoting scripture. But when someone on TV wearing a white leisure suit tells me uses those words to say my salvation is dependent on sending him a check to fund his air conditioned dog house, I fully expect to see a lightning bolt blow him up like a cicada on a bug zapper.
There are a lot of commercialized folk who make merchandise of the faith, unfortunately.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God said that it isn't a good thing to claim God said.

(I can't remember where, but I seem to remember reading that in the Bible).

I remember it in the OT, God getting angry because people claimed many things in His name for their agendas that He never said.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the other hand prophesy is in the bible..
In 1 cor 12...14
Says the protocol
Do not despise prophesies but test the prophesies.......
You don't have to hear a prophecy to. Hear the word of God.....
But sometimes prophesies are necessary
Paul was warned thru many prophets not to go to kerusalem....didnt listen and spent 4 years in jail
A friend of mine was gonna marry this girl and she got a prophesy from a guy she never met out in the comunity...
She was charismatic and believed in prophesies....
She told my friend the prophesy was not to get married....
He discounted it as He was babysit and said he didn't believe in prophesies....
They disposed. The prophesy sand got married.....
They had a miserable marriage and later divorvced......
This messed up my friend for 20 years but he now has a good marriage and 2 kids...
Sometimes if I don't say this says the Lord people won't listen

Upvote 0

1miraclechild

My Grandson Landon & me
Dec 23, 2007
My Living Room in Jasper, Tennessee
✟16,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God has never directly spoken anything audible to me and I've been born again since 2005.

God's Final Judgments against the Wicked
Isaiah 66:15-17 New American Standard Bible 15 For behold, the LORD will come in fire And His chariots like the whirlwind, To render His anger with fury, And His rebuke with flames of fire. 16 For the LORD will execute judgment by fire And by His sword on all flesh, And those slain by the LORD will be many. 17 "Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go to the gardens, Following one in the center, Who eat swine's flesh, detestable things and mice, Will come to an end altogether," declares the LORD.
God bless you & We love you
;-) Rebecca

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I mean some people have claimed to hear His voice and they seem to be telling the truth, but others seem to just use it to gloat and deceive.

I am a new follower of Christ and I haven't actually heard His voice, but when I pray I swear I can feel Him within me. When I read His Word I feel at peace.

At the same time, it scares me that I haven't actually heard Him and makes me wonder if I am reborn through Christ. Because I don't always feel happy or at peace all the time, but is it because I'm still unsaved or is that a byproduct of the sinful world we live in?

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2012
✟7,835.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I mean some people have claimed to hear His voice and they seem to be telling the truth, but others seem to just use it to gloat and deceive.

I am a new follower of Christ and I haven't actually heard His voice, but when I pray I swear I can feel Him within me. When I read His Word I feel at peace.

At the same time, it scares me that I haven't actually heard Him and makes me wonder if I am reborn through Christ. Because I don't always feel happy or at peace all the time, but is it because I'm still unsaved or is that a byproduct of the sinful world we live in?

I thought I had heard but I also am not 100% normal mentally. Like am I delusional or is this real? If it is real, is it really of God? It's hard to tell for me.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The problem is; The Bible is not God's Word, it was compiled by men, wasn't it.

“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,”

‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I would say it is all God's Word but I have met people who say it isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what I've witnessed in charismatic groups makes me cringe.

Why?

Thank you.
I used to believe that I was born again. I strongly professed Christ and was immersed in the water baptism. Many years ago, a man whom I had never seen before or after was visiting our church. He came up to me and asked me if I was born again to which I answered yes. The entire conversation lasted as short as 20 seconds and I forgot all about it. Sometime around the aforementioned experience, I had read The Word in Romans about predestination.

Rom.8
  1. [29] For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
I asked an elder in that church what the Scripture meant. His reply was something like "well Jim I'll tell you, the people that that Scripture is written about know who they are to which I replied with something like well it's not me because I don't know it. About 16 years later, I was called and that led to my true born again experience. That happened over 26 years ago and I continue to grow. My entire testimony is long. However, when Christ came to me as a thief in the night, I was brought back to the moments 16 years earlier described above. It was then that I understood both occurrences very clearly along with the symbology of water baptism. God's Word is filled with many mysteries that can only be understood by experiencing them first hand. Seek and ye shall find. Seek with all that is in you.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is; The Bible is not God's Word, it was compiled by men, wasn't it.

If the Bible isn't God's Word, then what is?

Regardless if you deny it or not, the Bible is the closest artifact of God we can get while we're living on this Earth.

Upvote 0

Gluttonous Winebibber

May 7, 2017
Sterling Heights
✟22,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Me, neither. A deep lack of spiritual discernment, heavy focus on entertainment and at times wealth / prosperity, people saying whatever they like and it's supposedly from God, and the poor, innocent, blind congregation just going along with it. In some cases, I feel like their pastor could teach / demand almost anything, and they'd comply.

If you feel that responsibility then you need to read your bible and pray to increase learning to teach others. Few choose to shoulder that burden. Church can be a trap/excuse to throw away sensibility and it is extremely hard to break from that.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Southronlady

Jun 24, 2015
Nashville Area
✟15,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't believe any of it. The Holy Spirit will always deal with you according to His fruit in Galatians 5. If a person does not inspire love, peace and joy in you, and if their remarks are not gentle and kind, then it is not the Holy Spirit speaking through them.

When these hockey pucks say that God is speaking through them, it is a lie. God is not speaking through them at all. If it is not the Holy Spirit speaking through them and they are not being gentle and kind, then you can guess what spirit is speaking through them and we know that the devil is come to steal, kill and destroy, so he will use religious hockey pucks to dribble out despicable lies to vulnerable believers in order to get their faith away from Christ.

You don't have to be kind to the devil, or anyone who represents him. You need to treat these people aggressively because they do not represent Christ at all. When Peter unwittingly sided with the devil in trying to keep Jesus from the cross, Jesus was not kind or gentle with him. He said, "Get behind me Satan!!" And that shocked Peter out of his cotton socks!

The person who told you that God would kill you with holy fire was not representing Christ or the Holy Spirit, because God is not willing that any should perish, and that kindness and gentleness is two of His attributes. It is the devil who kills, and this person who said it to you was quoting to you what an evil, demonic lying spirit was saying to him about you.

Tell that person that they are an evil, despicable liar and that as long as he or she listens to lying spirits, you are going to have nothing to do with that person.

I don't normally post on here, but I must respond (with all due respect) to your post:

You state, "If a person does not inspire love, peace and joy in you, and if their remarks are not gentle and kind, then it is not the Holy Spirit speaking through them."......Then you go on to say, "You need to treat these people aggressively because they do not represent Christ at all. When Peter unwittingly sided with the devil in trying to keep Jesus from the cross, Jesus was not kind or gentle with him."

You seem to contradict yourself here. Just because a person is not speaking kind or gentle--which you admit Christ, Himself, spoke in such an ungentle way--does not mean they are speaking with the spirit of the devil. And you go on to "justify" why it is okay to speak in a harsh manner to someone, even to call them names like "liar".

Also, I'm not saying in any way that I agree with what the person said about God killing them with Holy fire, but I'm just pointing out what really stood out to me as inconsistent logic.

Also, the statement "God is not willing that any should perish" is not totally correct in convincing that God does not cause one's physical death. He is "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" meaning they will perish, but He has provided for eternal life....for all who believe on His son.

Here are some Biblical examples where God DID cause someone to physically perish:
God's anger burned against Uzzah when he took hold of the ark and God struck him dead. (2 Samuel 6:1-7 and 1 Chronicles 13:9-12).

How about Ananias and Sapphira for lying? The coincidental timing and place of their deaths indicate indicate it was God's judgment.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you feel that responsibility then you need to read your bible and pray to increase learning to teach others. Few choose to shoulder that burden. Church can be a trap/excuse to throw away sensibility and it is extremely hard to break from that.

I hear you... But the chances to really confront people on their pastor's lousy theology and control tacrics are rare. What to do? Attend these churches and get into fights with people? I mean, what does one do?

Upvote 0