God rejects the mentally disabled? Salvation is just a game?

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

This is probably the most important verse in the entire Bible and also extremely terrifying for anyone who does not have the mental ability to follow it.

What about children born with catastrophic brain damage? They can't form thoughts complex enough to learn how to read let alone read scripture or learn from theologians. Many of them can't even SPEAK let alone "confess with [their] mouth" that Jesus is Lord.

Despite what you want to believe about God there does not appear to be anything in the Bible that gives special provision for these incredibly unfortunate individuals. They have failed to meet the most basic requirement for salvation. I have tried to find some verse which says something like "If you don't understand what is written here I'll help you out anyway". NOPE! This also included basically all children who died before their brains developed enough to understand complex literature...

You cannot simply say "God is too loving to allow them to go to Hell". That is your own feelings, not what is actually written.

The implications of this are very disturbing...

Hopefully some of you are able to locate verses that I may have missed.

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

This is probably the most important verse in the entire Bible and also extremely terrifying for anyone who does not have the mental ability to follow it.

What about children born with catastrophic brain damage? They can't form thoughts complex enough to learn how to read let alone read scripture or learn from theologians. Many of them can't even SPEAK let alone "confess with [their] mouth" that Jesus is Lord.

Despite what you want to believe about God there does not appear to be anything in the Bible that gives special provision for these incredibly unfortunate individuals. They have failed to meet the most basic requirement for salvation. I have tried to find some verse which says something like "If you don't understand what is written here I'll help you out anyway". NOPE! This also included basically all children who died before their brains developed enough to understand complex literature...

You cannot simply say "God is too loving to allow them to go to Hell". That is your own feelings, not what is actually written.

Is God just?

If you're arguing from the basis of disability.

Start with abortion. What happens to those children, or children that die under 1 years of age.

We're too simple to understand how God operates on these unknown levels.
Pretty foolish to assume that God hadn't taken these into consideration, prior to creating the earth.

From my own opinions. God is able to re-incarnate them into a new body where they have the ability to choose.
If you want to delve into it philosophically. Then lets ask, what age do these infants go to hell? If they do, are their minds still disabled, and will they be able to discern pain if they can't comprehend what it is?

God is just. He will deal accordingly with these matters.

Timothy 2:23
"But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes."

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

One has to ask if such a person was capable of committing their own sins at all.

But let's say they were, to bring focus back to your question. God made them, I didn't, you didn't. Jesus died for them, I haven't died for anyone and I doubt that you have. If God cared for the Ninevites, even their cattle, then surely he has a more vested interest in their salvation than you or I. It would then fall on God to find or make a way for them to be saved. Maybe it would be through a dream or a vision, maybe something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think God is loving and understanding of those who are unable to fully understand/comprehend these this stuff. Its not like these people don't get it because they choose not to or what not. In my case I have a brain injury so I have a hard time remembering things (like the bible, even to read it). And sometimes my mind is all over the place. I believe God understands my brain isn't normal and He still loves me and I'll shall see heaven.

At our old church was a boy who was in his early 20s. He had down syndrome really bad. He really didn't understand to much and for lack of better words acted like a small child. But he very much loved anything to do with Jesus/God. I don't question God letting him into heaven based on him not fully grasping the idea of being a christian. I remember during the communion he was just excited to get some crackers and grape juice. He took a bunch and ate and drank them right away and laughed (not being rude mind you).

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

copyChkboxOff.gif
Jon 4:11 - “And should I not pity Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot discern between their right hand and their left—and much livestock?”

• Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's the amazing thing that I do not believe, in my humble opinion, that one who is not saved can ever quite comprehend, there is a little thing called grace. I firmly believe that a child who dies goes to heaven. God's love for children are quite clear with Isaiah, and Jesus himself quoting Him, that unless one became like a child they could not enter heaven. With that being said, if one is mentally deficient that they have the mental age of a child, it can only be logical that God would allow them to go to heaven.

As far as one who is mute, and cannot literally speak out a prayer to God that says that they repent, they believe, and ask them into their heart, to take it in a literal sense, they can always write out the prayer. To take it in another way, God knows their heart when they die. The ability to speak does not affect the heartfelt belief of a person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What about children born with catastrophic brain damage?
Lamentations 3:32-36
"Though He brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love.
For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone.

To crush underfoot all prisoners in the land,
to deny people their rights before the Most High,
to deprive them of justice—would not the Lord see such things?"

Psalms 145:8-9
The LORD is gracious and merciful; Slow to anger and great in lovingkindness. The LORD is good to all, And His mercies are over all His works.

Isaiah 49:15-16
"Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you. Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me."

Psalms 111:3-4
Splendid and majestic is His work, And His righteousness endures forever. He has made His wonders to be remembered; The LORD is gracious and compassionate.

Although these verses are not a direct answer to this issue, it is helpful to remember that the Gospel was forged by One who through infinite love and compassion, is determined to save those who cannot, could not, nor would not save themselves.

“God is too good to be unkind and He is too wise to be mistaken. And when we cannot trace His hand, we must trust His heart.” -
-Charles Spurgeon

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That reminds me of a story my brother told me of the time when he was working with mentally disabled people. There was this one man, severely mentally handicapped, who could do nothing more than hang his head, drool on himself, roll his eyes and mess his diaper. As my brother was busy attending to him, he told him about Jesus. He was in the middle of putting a sock on the patent's foot, when he looked up and saw that the patient was sitting up straight, with a sane, intelligent look on his face, listening to what my brother was saying. Two seconds later, the man's head fell back down and he resumed his severely retarded appearance.

True story.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That reminds me of a story my brother told me of the time when he was working with mentally disabled people. There was this one man, severely mentally handicapped, who could do nothing more than hang his head, drool on himself, roll his eyes and mess his diaper. As my brother was busy attending to him, he told him about Jesus. He was in the middle of putting a sock on the patent's foot, when he looked up and saw that the patient was sitting up straight, with a sane, intelligent look on his face, listening to what my brother was saying. Two seconds later, the man's head fell back down and he resumed his severely retarded appearance.

True story.
My grandmother died from liver cancer. Two days before she passed, my mother and I visited her in the hospital. She was alone in a darkened room, lying in her bed, jaundiced, mouth gaping, seemingly unconscious. My mother was telling her how much we love her and will miss her when she's gone. But there was zero response the entire time (maybe an hour). Just before we left her, I drew near and said, "Gram, you need to think about something very carefully. You need to remember Jesus Christ." She was a devout Catholic, and I wanted to make sure that she understood the terms of salvation. As soon as I mentioned Jesus Christ, her eyes flew open wide, her head moved side to side, and she was moaning loudly. It seemed she was protesting, but I continued to explain to her about the completed work of Christ, the righteousness of God by faith, etc until she eventually quieted and calmed and just listened. That reaction was very unexpected and it seemed she was comprehending, to some degree, what she heard. That was a relief to me.

Upvote 0

AntiCrash

Nov 10, 2018
Brisbane, Queensland
✟9,561.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

The Bible seems to raise more questions than it answer's, and mental gymnastics is involved trying to get your head around all the gap's.

I'm just glad that I don't have to think about these kinds of thing's anymore, you can waste your life time trying to plug up the hole's the Bible creates.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible seems to raise more questions than it answer's, and mental gymnastics is involved trying to get your head around all the gap's.
There could be some mental gymnastics involved; of course, then again, there is some skill involved in actually being a gymnast, even an Olympic level gymnast. (Maybe we need a different analogy than this one that keeps getting trotted out in reference to 'gymnastics.' I mean, on my part, I rather admire the abilities of gymnasts since their capabilities are, shall we say, more expansive than the average person ... o_O) And in the fields of apologetics and hermeneutics, it works out kind'a like this:

I'm just glad that I don't have to think about these kinds of thing's anymore, you can waste your life time trying to plug up the hole's the Bible creates.
Well, it doesn't sound like you're really struggling with it any more then, are you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God is always kinder than His followers...

Absolutely. It grieves me so much to see the "know it all" spirit many Christians have. It's unique to us too. I see Muslims online talking and they don't act this way. They actually know a lot more than we do, too. Sad.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[a] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Acts 7:60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:14, "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"
We "believe" in Him before we call on Him. See John 3:16.
John 8:24, “Jesus said, therefore I said unto you, ye shall die in your sins, for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins.”
Acts 16:30-31, "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

What do you mean they can't form thoughts? Can you control that, or do you have faith God that when you share with them the gospel that God will come through for them?

Your job is to just share the gospel, however, a person will receive it, they will receive it, no matter where they're at.

Upvote 0