LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Thus says the LORD: 'Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his arm, whose heart turns away from the LORD. He is like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land. Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.'" - Jer 17:5-8

This was from yesterday's Sunday Mass readings, and it made me think of how people who don't believe in God are so consumed with fear about climate change.

Last edited:

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This was from yesterday's Sunday Mass readings, and it made me think of how people who don't believe in God are so consumed with fear about climate change.

It is possible to both believe in God ad be concerned about climate change.

HOwever, I remember that in 1977-1978, the big scare was about global cooling and fear we were going to have another ice age. This was even the cover story of both TIME and NEWSWEEK.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Thus says the LORD: 'Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his arm, whose heart turns away from the LORD. He is like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land. Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.'" - Jer 17:5-8

I found this to be the most striking reading of the three yesterday, I think I've gotten off track and tried to do too much myself.

The climate change comment is out of left field though.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

We both know that's not talking about climate change.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
LOL. Some people see global warming everywhere.
Bit hard to miss it when your country is faced with the highest temperatures on record, massive flooding in the north at record levels and the longest drought in history in other parts - So yea - Some would naturally question 'Whats happening to the weather patterns', and get those answers from those with qualifications and experience in the field....as opposed to the uninformed opinion of those who have no qualifications and experience in the field.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bit hard to miss it when your country is faced with the highest temperatures on record, massive flooding in the north at record levels and the longest drought in history in other parts - So yea - Some would naturally question 'Whats happening to the weather patterns', and get those answers from those with qualifications and experience in the field....as opposed to the uninformed opinion of those who have no qualifications and experience in the field.
"On record" is the key part of that statement. The scientists have only been keeping a record of climate data since the 1880s, very recent relative to the history of the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"On record" is the key part of that statement. The scientists have only been keeping a record of climate data since the 1880s, very recent relative to the history of the earth.
Yes on record - that's not to say that temperature hasn't been measured going back many millennia - those working on the polar ice caps for example take core samples that go all the way back to the time the ice was formed.

My point is - this is a serious topic. The rhetoric should be toned down in favour of objective data and that those with the greatest voice should be those who are actually qualified, have experience, and have researched in the field - They are the experts. I listen to experts - not those with unqualified opinion.

After all - would you take your car to be fixed by someone who offered you an opinion - or instead a qualified mechanic. Better still, if its an expensive car, you might want a few opinions. For a topic such as climate change, we have the consensus of thousands of qualified people and tens of thousands of research articles. Its the consensus that is critical to me - I would be remiss to listen to anything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the weather in the Bible reading was metaphor and not literal? Granted, it could work both ways, although I don't believe the lack of God in someone's life causes panic. Very religious people fear the same thing...along with end times prophecy hysteria. All it takes is one hurricane too many in a season and here come the four horsemen lol

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

This world is not my home.
Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LOL. Some people see global warming everywhere.
It's almost as if these people don't realize even if the climate doesn't get them, something else is going to. Shouldn't they be just as afraid, if not more, of choking while they're eating, or drowning while showering? Seeing as how they don't know that they'll be around in 3 days time, let alone when global warming makes the tundra able to be farmed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roidecoeur78

This world is not my home.
Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the weather in the Bible reading was metaphor and not literal? Granted, it could work both ways, although I don't believe the lack of God in someone's life causes panic. Very religious people fear the same thing...along with end times prophecy hysteria. All it takes is one hurricane too many in a season and here come the four horsemen lol
The sky won't stop falling!

but seriously, "Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace." Malachi 4:1

Upvote 0