Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But the universe had to have been created because it exists.
Not according to the Bible, in Genesis 1 God states He created a raqia and in the raqia He placed the sun, moon and stars. The raqia is between two bodies of water the oceans below the raqia and a body of water above the raqia. The water above the raqia is the same water God used to flood the earth along with the water from the great deep.

on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I accept that it says all life on Earth, and the Sun and the Moon were made in 7 days and Exodus 20:11 says "at least" that much in legal code about Genesis 1-2

Ex 20:11
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

That's "legal code" -- hard to bend it.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Nothing in Geneis 2:1-3 argues against the time frame God gives it in Ex 20:11

I don't have any problem with Exodus using literal seven 24-hour days for that particular passage and fine point of the Law. I don't think you can extrapolate that to Genesis 1 however .

1. I think everyone agrees that creation week happened before Sinai and not the other way around.
2. I think everyone agrees that God saw both events.
3. I think everyone agrees that all scripture is given by inspiration from God.
4. It is not at all likely that we could be made to believe that God could not have known about creation week when speaking the Ex 20:11 text until someone comes along later and writes the Geneis 1-2 text.

Thus the fact that Ex 20:11 appears to be an exact summary of the Genesis 1-2 events when in fact those events of creation most certainly happen before the Exodus and not after it - allow for the Ex 20:11 legal code to be a precise summary of the Genesis 1-2 creation event no matter if Moses wrote Genesis earlier or later. So the point you make is difficult to sustain as an argument against the exact summary of Ex 20:11 placing the time frame on Gen 1-2 that the text obviously calls for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not according to the Bible, in Genesis 1 God states He created a raqia and in the raqia He placed the sun, moon and stars.

According to Genesis 1 we have --

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

The "two great lights" on day 4 - are not "a zillion and two".
The birds fly "in the midst of the firmament of the heavens"
The sun and moon are "set in the firmament of the heaven"

The parenthetical note that "God created the stars also" only requires that God is creator of the stars not that they are one of the two great lights created on day 4.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟516,876.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the universe had to have been created because it exists.
What i was addressing to this person was his statement or topic head line.
God Really Made the Universe In Six Days

Where he is referencing The creation in Genesis, but in Genesis God only states that He created heaven and earth. What he is (at least i see it this way) equating in Genesis when God say He created heaven and earth, he is seeing heaven as another name for sciences universe.
Hebrews 11:1-3 tell us that God created the universe or according to the KJV "the worlds".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do not follow you...how can you positively conclude that there is already a devil before earth's creation week.

Because he is immediately there in Genesis 3 - and is already evil.

Rev 12 says he is "the serpent of old" the devil who drew away 1/3 of the angels of heaven.

Isaiah 14 and Ezek 28 both say he was created as Lucifer - sinless , perfect, "until the day" that iniquity was found in him. And the language implies something more than a few seconds or minutes of time for his fall, ,for this appeal to 1/3 of the angels and then to his losing the war and being cast down to Earth.

In the beginning there is only God...all else is void.

But then God chooses to "create the heavens and the Earth" Genesis 1:1 where the Creation of earth into a planet with life on it - starts off sometime afterward so that Earth is already solid rock covered by water before day 1 of creation week.

Trying to compress the creation of the perfect angel Lucifer - covering Cherub who is on the mountain of God, walks amidst the stones of fire - perfect and wise "until the day" that iniquity is found in him. Sound more like years/decades/centuries than like "seconds or minutes". And makes more sense that way.

Furthermore for him to argue the angels (1/3 of them) to be on his side then have war in heaven, then lose that war ... also sound more like months/years than like minutes/seconds.

Here is the explanation of Lucifer's fall:
Isaiah 14:12-14:
2 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Ezek 28

On the day that you were created
They were prepared
14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers,
And I placed you there.
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 “You were blameless in your ways
From the day you were created

Until unrighteousness was found in you.
16 “By the abundance of your trade
You were internally filled with violence,
And you sinned;
Therefore I have cast you as profane
From the mountain of God
And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the stones of fire.
17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor.
I cast you to the ground;
I put you before kings,
That they may see you.
18 “By the multitude of your iniquities,
In the unrighteousness of your trade
You profaned your sanctuaries.
Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you;

Rev 12 - he is the devil who draws away 1/3 of the angels and is the "serpent of old" the snake in the garden of Eden. Already fallen --- already evil , in Eden.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am a creationist and i believe Genesis to be true (literal). But in Genesis it is stated that God created heaven and earth. No mention of a universe, that idea has come about because of sciences influence of christian belief.

Never is it stated in the Bible of God creating a universe.

Genesis is about the creation of Earth and all life on earth.

But it does tell us at the start of God being the creator of the universe as well "in the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth"

Hebrews 1
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Heb 11
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

God created sinless intelligent life "Worlds" all throughout the Universe .. but this planet alone fell into sin. This planet alone has the Gospel with God the Son incarnate as man - and our Savior.

It is a biiiiiiiggggg universe folks - and God is Creator of all of it. We are one tiny planet among many countless worlds created by God all throughout the universe - and we alone chose to live in rebellion.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟516,876.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I accept that it says all life on Earth, and the Sun and the Moon were made in 7 days and Exodus 20:11 says "at least" that much in legal code about Genesis 1-2

11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Gen 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

1. I think everyone agrees that creation week happened before Sinai and not the other way around.
4. It is not at all likely that we could be made to believe that God could not have known about creation week when speaking the Ex 20:11 text until someone comes along later and writes the Geneis 1-2 text.

Thus the fact that Ex 20:11 appears to be an exact summary of the Genesis 1-2 events when in fact those events of creation most certainly happen before the Exodus and not after it - allow for the Ex 20:11 legal code to be a precise summary of the Genesis 1-2 creation event no matter if Moses wrote Genesis earlier or later. So the point you make is difficult to sustain as an argument against the exact summary of Ex 20:11 placing the time frame on Gen 1-2 that the text obviously calls for.
You either believe Scripture to be reliable as God's own word or you do not and rely upon your own mind which is comparably weak...right?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Gen 2

I don't have any problem with Exodus using literal seven 24-hour days for that particular passage and fine point of the Law. I don't think you can extrapolate that to Genesis 1 however .

You either believe Scripture to be reliable as God's own word or you do not and rely upon your own mind which is comparably weak...right?

God makes an inescapable iron clad case "in stone" -- in "legal code" that creation week is a 7 day week and the text of Genesis 2:1-3 says nothing to refute God's statement in Ex 20:11.

I cannot deny that fact in God's Word

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟516,876.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because he is immediately there in Genesis 3 - and is already evil.

Rev 12 says he is "the serpent of old" the devil who drew away 1/3 of the angels of heaven.

Isaiah 14 and Ezek 28 both say he was created as Lucifer - sinless , perfect, "until the day" that iniquity was found in him. And the language implies something more than a few seconds or minutes of time for his fall, ,for this appeal to 1/3 of the angels and then to his losing the war and being cast down to Earth.

In the beginning there is only God...all else is void.

But then God chooses to "create the heavens and the Earth" Genesis 1:1 where the Creation of earth into a planet with life on it - starts off sometime afterward so that Earth is already solid rock covered by water before day 1 of creation week.

Trying to compress the creation of the perfect angel Lucifer - covering Cherub who is on the mountain of God, walks amidst the stones of fire - perfect and wise "until the day" that iniquity is found in him. Sound more like years/decades/centuries than like "seconds or minutes". And makes more sense that way.

Furthermore for him to argue the angels (1/3 of them) to be on his side then have war in heaven, then lose that war ... also sound more like months/years than like minutes/seconds.

Here is the explanation of Lucifer's fall:
Isaiah 14:12-14:
2 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Ezek 28

On the day that you were created
They were prepared
14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers,
And I placed you there.
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 “You were blameless in your ways
From the day you were created

Until unrighteousness was found in you.
16 “By the abundance of your trade
You were internally filled with violence,
And you sinned;
Therefore I have cast you as profane
From the mountain of God
And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the stones of fire.
17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor.
I cast you to the ground;
I put you before kings,
That they may see you.
18 “By the multitude of your iniquities,
In the unrighteousness of your trade
You profaned your sanctuaries.
Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you;

Rev 12 - he is the devil who draws away 1/3 of the angels and is the "serpent of old" the snake in the garden of Eden. Already fallen --- already evil , in Eden.

No, not according to the account...earth was void...nothingness

You cite the Bible's timeline as not fitting fo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

But it does tell us at the start of God being the creator of the universe as well "in the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth"

Hebrews 1
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Heb 11
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

God created sinless intelligent life "Worlds" all throughout the Universe .. but this planet alone fell into sin. This planet alone has the Gospel with God the Son incarnate as man - and our Savior.

It is a biiiiiiiggggg universe folks - and God is Creator of all of it. We are one tiny planet among many countless worlds created by God all throughout the universe - and we alone chose to live in rebellion.

The word is: space of time, age, in the greek

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on day 4?
Hey Mark... here are some thoughts:

In the third day period God created all kinds of vegetation which through photosynthesis consumes carbon dioxide and expels oxygen, increasing the Oxygen in the atmosphere ready for O2 air breathing organisms. But Dr Hugh Ross explains that this stage also builds the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere, a shield against too much UV radiation.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so.

The fourth day period describes how a translucent atmosphere became a transparent atmosphere.

16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars.

The sun, moon and stars becomes visible from the surface of the earth. All set up for not only the plants and animals but also for His imagers, to be able to mark signs, seasons, days and years. With a permanently overcast sky those things are not available.

17 And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

Now with clear skies, light is no longer diffused and can reach the earth "directly". I thank God that He made it so that we can peer into the night sky and marvel at the great wonder of what's out there. I lost my faith once, but found it again when I decided to stop beside a creek one night and looked into the night sky and tried to comprehend the distance to stars I saw and the depth of the universe. God is awesome.

19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

You know the drill.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But then God chooses to "create the heavens and the Earth" Genesis 1:1

Indeed - Genesis 1:1 appears to be a sweeping statement covering all of creation - while the remainder focuses on the details of creating our solar system, and life on our planet.

Water covering the "surface of the deep" is not "nothing". We do not point into outer space and the empty vacuum of space saying "there is another planet formless and void with water covering the surface of the deep".

Satan is chained there in Rev 20

Satan Chained in Bottomless Pit for 1000 Years - A Revelation of Jesus | www.revelationofjesus.net

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Gen 2

God makes an inescapable iron clad case "in stone" -- in "legal code" that creation week is a 7 day week and the text of Genesis 2:1-3 says nothing to refute God's statement in Ex 20:11.

I cannot deny that fact in God's Word

I am a creationist and i believe Genesis to be true (literal). But in Genesis it is stated that God created heaven and earth. No mention of a universe, that idea has come about because of sciences influence of christian belief.

Never is it stated in the Bible of God creating a universe.

Hebrews 1

Heb 11

The word is: space of time, age, in the greek

But is not limited to that in Hebrew (or Greek) -- context sets the meaning

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey Mark... here are some thoughts:

In the third day period God created all kinds of vegetation which through photosynthesis consumes carbon dioxide and expels oxygen, increasing the Oxygen in the atmosphere ready for O2 air breathing organisms. But Dr Hugh Ross explains that this stage also builds the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere, a shield against too much UV radiation.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so.

The fourth day period describes how a translucent atmosphere became a transparent atmosphere.

16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars.

The sun, moon and stars becomes visible from the surface of the earth. All set up for not only the plants and animals but also for His imagers, to be able to mark signs, seasons, days and years. With a permanently overcast sky those things are not available.

17 And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

Now with clear skies, light is no longer diffused and can reach the earth "directly". I thank God that He made it so that we can peer into the night sky and marvel at the great wonder of what's out there. I lost my faith once, but found it again when I decided to stop beside a creek one night and looked into the night sky and tried to comprehend the distance to stars I saw and the depth of the universe. God is awesome.

19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

You know the drill.
I always appreciate the devotional aspect os Scripture reading but my point is actually semantical. The point being the fact the you couls see the universe on that creek bank is the whole point of day four. God set them in the heaves to be seen regularly, they were actually created before creation week even started.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I see the creation accounts as being figurative rather than literal, and whilst there is recorded history in the Bible, rather than simply viewing it as a compendium of facts, I see the Bible as a collection of writings by people who were inspired by God and experienced Him in deep, meaningful and life-changing ways. The primary purpose of the Bible is to reveal the truth about God, to draw us close to Him and to live our lives according to His will.

I think science and faith often complement each other. Science explains the mechanics of how the world, universe and life were created. Faith is about asking the deeper questions such as why we are here, what is the purpose of life, who God is, what He is like, and how we can have a relationship with Him and live lives that are pleasing to Him.

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible" (Hebrews 11, NIV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not according to the Bible, in Genesis 1 God states He created a raqia and in the raqia He placed the sun, moon and stars. The raqia is between two bodies of water the oceans below the raqia and a body of water above the raqia. The water above the raqia is the same water God used to flood the earth along with the water from the great deep.

on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

I don’t see what this has to do with the universe being created. If the universe exists then it had a beginning. Something created it. John 1:3 says Jesus created everything and nothing that was created was created without Him.

Upvote 0