Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe God set all in motion billions of years ago. But, what is a billion years to an eternal Spirit?
And that is outside or also outside of time, and time is mainly for us... But He tries to put it in "days" in order for us to comprehend better... But what would that One mean by one of His "days"...? Or that an entire Creation happens in a week for Him...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hrmmm. MKaybe u better think on that one... a little while... i see an error in your thinking there...
I dont know about that, people lived hundreds of years, probably the dinosaurs did to.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. - Genesis 1:4-5

The first day was when God put the planet earth in orbit around the sun, which also created the sense of earthly time. The actual universe i believe was created long before that. As the earth was not in rotation there was no way to measure time or years.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1.) Is every word of the Bible always literal? For example, in Matthew 23 when Jesus called the Pharisees "snakes," did He literally mean that they are legless reptiles? Hey, Pharisees, you're snakes. The Lord said so. Get down on the ground and start slithering, because that's what snakes do. Or wasn't He instead using figurative language to make His point?
Every word of the Bible is true, as it is God's Word and He does not lie. There is a mixture of genres in the Bible, including literal, poetic, allegory etc. The rule of thumb is if the plain literal reading of the text makes sense why seek another sense.

2.) If some of the Bible is using symbolism and/or figurative language, how do we know for sure what parts are literal? Using the word "day," as the quoted passages do, has been done symbolically. Haven't we all heard an older person say something like, "Back in my day, kids had respect for their elders." "Day" doesn't mean a literal 24-hour period in this context. It could very well mean a literal 24-hour period in the Biblical passage. God is certainly powerful enough. He didn't even need six days to accomplish it. He could have done it all in an instant. But how do we know that this passage does refer to a literal day, rather than a symbolic one?

Using the rule of thumb I gave above, if a 5th grader read 'Evening and morning one day'. How many days would he say that was? It takes some 21st century pseudo scholars in an academia ghetto to come up scratching their heads over the answer. ..brainwashed by schools of higher criticism, professing to be wise, they became fools. (Rom 1:22).Don't get swept away by the so called 'scholars' as that would be scholarolatry. When it comes the things of God's Kingdom including His Word we come as children.
3.) Can a passage, or any statement, be true without being literal? (I vote yes.)
Perhaps, do you have an example?

The problem with spiritualizing or allegorizing the text, it subjects the text to anyone's imagination, to the point where sin is no longer sin, death no longer death, a bodily resurrection no longer of the body but 'Christ has risen in our hearts' and other fanciful imaginations which reduces God's word to pablum.

Summing up...

“When the plain sense of Scripture makes common sense, seek no other sense; therefore, take every word at its primary, ordinary, usual, literal meaning unless the facts of the immediate context, studied in the light of related passages and axiomatic and fundamental truths, indicate clearly otherwise.”–Dr. David L. Cooper (1886-1965),

The common sense Golden Rule of Interpretation - BibleTruths

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't want to be mean but I don't understand anything of what you are saying!
I don't want to assume you are addressing me, but just in case, in short...
One cannot separate the historical from the spiritual truths of Scripture—If the historical is not true, neither is the spiritual.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
One cannot separate the historical from the spiritual truths of Scripture—If the historical is not true, neither is the spiritual.
I would imagine they mean the OP (since I'm not understanding them, either).

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The OP

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JerseyChristianSuperstar

Feb 25, 2018
New Jersey
✟70,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Discuss.

Also, Satan invented dinosaurs.

If not, then who did? God?

God allowed Satan to invent dinosaurs. Satan had to askn him to do it.

IOne off.

Also, wgty are people scared of snakes? Dumb question. Forget I asked.

Just that one question.

I'm a creationist, and I believe God created everything in six days, 6000 years ago, created dinosaurs who were destroyed in the flood (you can see this with the reference to "behemoths" in the Book of Job with a tail "like a seder").

Come at me, bro. :clap:

Upvote 0

Legroom

Feb 9, 2019
Austin
✟9,372.00
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Discuss.

IOne off.

Just that one question.
No, the 6 days comes from the ancient story that Adam and Eve, who came to the evolved earth, spent their first 6 days getting to know their new home in the garden that had been prepared for them by the inhabitants of the earth. On the seventh day they rested. The devil had fallen already. Genesis 3:1

Cain was afraid of the people out in the world, God agreed, he put a mark on Cain, lest anyone who find him try to kill him.
Genesis 4:9-16

The creation story of Judaism was put together by the Israelites, it was finalized during the Babylonian captivity. It was written for the Israelites using stories passed down from the histories of the Mesopotamian region and its various religions. Joshua 24:2-7

There is much confusion in Christianity about the history of the world because the Old Testament is largely a human creation by the Israelites based on real, supernatural events. Personally I take the historic claims of the OT with a grain of salt.

As for the age of the dinosaurs and other evolved life, we can find them concealed in the earth just by digging through the layers of material history laid down over millions of years. The deeper we get the simpler the created life forms get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Discuss.
IOne off.
Just that one question.

I'm a creationist. I can easily agree with the science that says the universe is 13 or so Billion years old and the earth 4 Billion or so years old. I also read Genesis 1 & 2 plainly but in context with the whole Bible. God is the creator, so I seriously doubt satan created anything except mayhem.

1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Big bang can fit in here fine. There is a beginning and God is the initiator. God is the creator of the universe and the earth His planned home for His imagers.

2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
God hovers over a water covered Earth... wow it's described as dark too, it must be like Venus with a super thick atmosphere where no sunlight can get in.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
God disperses the thick atmosphere and made it translucent allowing some of the sunlight to now penetrate the surface of Earth.

4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.
Sunlight is good, and when the Earth revolves you get light and dark He calls light Yom and darkness Layil.

And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Ereb and Boqer - demarcation Yom Echad (day one).

• Agree
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a creationist. I can easily agree with the science that says the universe is 13 or so Billion years old and the earth 4 Billion or so years old. I also read Genesis 1 & 2 plainly but in context with the whole Bible. God is the creator, so I seriously doubt satan created anything except mayhem.

1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Big bang can fit in here fine. There is a beginning and God is the initiator. God is the creator of the universe and the earth His planned home for His imagers.

2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
God hovers over a water covered Earth... wow it's described as dark too, it must be like Venus with a super thick atmosphere where no sunlight can get in.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
God disperses the thick atmosphere and made it translucent allowing some of the sunlight to now penetrate the surface of Earth.

4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.
Sunlight is good, and when the Earth revolves you get light and dark He calls light Yom and darkness Layil.

And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Ereb and Boqer - demarcation Yom Echad (day one).
What are your thoughts on day 4?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Discuss.

IOne off.

Just that one question.

Returning to Earth for Christians --

1. God made all life ON EARTH within 6 days.
2. God made the Sun and moon - within that same six days
3. God made the stars but not necessarily in that same six days since on the 4th day it was "two great lights" not "a zillion and two" -
5. At the starting point of the 7 day creation week - the EARTH a rocky surface covered by water.
6. All life on Earth made by God - but it "changed" after the fall man as Romans 8 reminds us -- so some dinosaurs are likely a "changed form" of something God made.
7. Genesis 6 says "all flesh" had corrupted its way. Perhaps the humans had CRISPER who knows.
8. Life spans were much longer before the flood and after the flood gradually began to decrease over time.
9. Blind faith evolutionism as the religion of atheism is a competing religion against the Bible. Some Christians choose it to increase the cognitive dissonance in their lives.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, but it seems to me that God created all life in the Universe, including aliens on other planets, either directly or indirectly via evolution.

That's the sort of god that would fit the atheist world view as we both know - it does not mean everyone that accepts it is atheist - but it is consistent with the atheists requirements for origins and the sort of god that would do it.

By contrast the Bible says "God spoke and it was" he commanded and it stood fast..not "horses evolved from dust gas and rocks over time -- given a sufficiently large and talented amount of rocks and a sufficiently long amount of time"

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And that is outside or also outside of time, and time is mainly for us... But He tries to put it in "days" in order for us to comprehend better... But what would that One mean by one of His "days"...? Or that an entire Creation happens in a week for Him...?

God Bless!
I personally believe the creation story isn't about the creation of all things but is about prophesy of Christ Jesus, the Light.

Upvote 0