Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What about being in retreat?https://thomrainer.com/2015/02/fifteen-reasons-churches-less-evangelistic-today/
  1. Church members are in a retreat mode as culture becomes more worldly and unbiblical.

Less evangelistic in comparison to what? These are the same problems that the early churches have gone through. Our problem is that instead of learning from God's Word, we just put whatever observations we have in our minds, and write articles and blogs as some sort of new revelation. It's not new, and its nothing God can't handle.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Less evangelistic in comparison to what? These are the same problems that the early churches have gone through. Our problem is that instead of learning from God's Word, we just put whatever observations we have in our minds, and write articles and blogs as some sort of new revelation. It's not new, and its nothing God can't handle.

You said its easier to do not work than to work. Isn't interest a major reason?

1. Christians have no sense of urgency to reach lost people.
  2. Many Christians and church members do not befriend and spend time with lost persons.
https://www.dare2share.org/article/7-reasons-america-has-not-been-reached-for-christ/

2. We have lost our sense of urgency.

Take hell out of the equation and evangelism seems like a nice, but not necessary, activity. Put hell back in and suddenly everything changes. Suddenly souls are at stake and time is a wastin’. We start to reach out like there is no tomorrow…because there may not be for those who don’t know Jesus.

And simmer down my dear Reformed friends. It was the great reformer himself (aka “The Apostle Paul”) who asked “how will they hear without a preacher?” right in the middle of his longest explanation of the doctrine of election (Romans 9-11.) It is possible to believe in election and to be motivated to “snatch others from the fire and save them” (Jude 23.) It happens when we stop trying to connect dots that were never meant to be connected. It happens when we stop trying to reconcile God’s sovereignty and our responsibility. It happens when we choose to live in the tension and share the gospel like lost souls depend on it.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You said its easier to do not work than to work. Isn't interest a major reason?

1. Christians have no sense of urgency to reach lost people.
  2. Many Christians and church members do not befriend and spend time with lost persons.
https://www.dare2share.org/article/7-reasons-america-has-not-been-reached-for-christ/

Take hell out of the equation and evangelism seems like a nice, but not necessary, activity. Put hell back in and suddenly everything changes. Suddenly souls are at stake and time is a wastin’. We start to reach out like there is no tomorrow…because there may not be for those who don’t know Jesus.

And simmer down my dear Reformed friends. It was the great reformer himself (aka “The Apostle Paul”) who asked “how will they hear without a preacher?” right in the middle of his longest explanation of the doctrine of election (Romans 9-11.) It is possible to believe in election and to be motivated to “snatch others from the fire and save them” (Jude 23.) It happens when we stop trying to connect dots that were never meant to be connected. It happens when we stop trying to reconcile God’s sovereignty and our responsibility. It happens when we choose to live in the tension and share the gospel like lost souls depend on it.

I think the priority is the major reason. People are interested, but if you were to show them a physical and instant gratification over something of long-suffering, that requires faith, people are more inclined to instant than distant.

I can't truly say that people don't befriend others. I can't even say that people don't have urgency to reach the lost. I dont have stats or anything, and I see too many street preachers everyday to even agree. But not even Hell seem to grab people anymore, because it is something too distant to them. People are seeing that I can enjoy my life now over worrying about something distant, something untangible and unreal to me. You know when people start to question more on the urgency on their souls? Funerals. Because the reality of death is in their face. But its not in their face everyday. It's in the back of their minds until they see it in others or in theirselves, and even then people may not prioritize the gospel.

People have to prioritize as an individual what is the most urgent thing in their lives. Some would sacrifice the work for money, for love, for sex, for acceptance, for politics. The amount of christian theologies that compromise the urgency of the Word to be more accepting and tolerant and softer towards people. Priority of self over priority of the work.

Thats why Jesus ask us to deny ourselves first. Because even if we were to come face to face with truth, with Jesus, with the promise of peace, and new earth, and no more pain and sorrow,, even if we were to literally see Him on the cross dying for our sins, if we don't prioritize Him, if His kingdom isn't worth putting our lives down for, then of course, we are not gonna do the work, we would rather do something else.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the priority is the major reason. People are interested, but if you were to show them a physical and instant gratification over something of long-suffering, that requires faith, people are more inclined to instant than distant.

I can't truly say that people don't befriend others. I can't even say that people don't have urgency to reach the lost. I dont have stats or anything, and I see too many street preachers everyday to even agree. But not even Hell seem to grab people anymore, because it is something too distant to them. People are seeing that I can enjoy my life now over worrying about something distant, something untangible and unreal to me. You know when people start to question more on the urgency on their souls? Funerals. Because the reality of death is in their face. But its not in their face everyday. It's in the back of their minds until they see it in others or in theirselves, and even then people may not prioritize the gospel.

People have to prioritize as an individual what is the most urgent thing in their lives. Some would sacrifice the work for money, for love, for sex, for acceptance, for politics. The amount of christian theologies that compromise the urgency of the Word to be more accepting and tolerant and softer towards people. Priority of self over priority of the work.

Thats why Jesus ask us to deny ourselves first. Because even if we were to come face to face with truth, with Jesus, with the promise of peace, and new earth, and no more pain and sorrow,, even if we were to literally see Him on the cross dying for our sins, if we don't prioritize Him, if His kingdom isn't worth putting our lives down for, then of course, we are not gonna do the work, we would rather do something else.

Street preachers dont reach the entire population of souls.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Whats the reason the workers are few? This article over complicates it.
https://www.lifeway.com/pastors/2017/02/06/reasons-churches-less-evangelistic-today/

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

https://www.lifeway.com/pastors/2017/02/06/reasons-churches-less-evangelistic-today/

1. [*]Christians have no sense of urgency to reach lost people.
    [*]Many Christians and church members do not befriend and spend time with lost persons

1. https://thomrainer.com/2014/06/seven-factors-hindering-evangelism-churches/

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Solution? I remember in the 1980s and 1990s when churches were involved in outreach such as Evangelism Explosion and FAITH. Doesn’t seem to be the case anymore – no wonder the church is ineffective and withdrawn from unbelievers and society!

Start outreach like EE and FAITH (supported by the church staff), cut back on church programs that are ineffective, too inwardly focused, and/or not fruitful and pour more time and energy into outreach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said to pray God would send more workers

That in no way says that there is urgency.

Urgency implies we have to rush to save everyone possible before God closes the door....as if we need to correct God's plan because He is closing the door too early.

Urgency is fear, and fear is the opposite of faith - as faith is trust and you do not fear what you trust.

If you are urgent, all you would be displaying is a lack of faith combined with sufficient pride to believe that its up to you to correct God's short-comings...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The verse says pray earnestly.

Earnestly, means in seriousness.

But to help your case, Paul has also said: " Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). But the more important thing is to pray in seriousness. God doesn't hear those who don't pray seriously and with a right heart, no matter the number of times they pray.

Upvote 0