Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Do you know what is meant by "scientific theory"?

The basic idea of evolution, that species can vary in characteristics via natural selection is fact. The rest is faith in made up hypothesis but some want to call that fact as well.

Upvote 0

Affliction

Jun 26, 2013
Connecticut
✟470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Paul's comments in 2 Tim 3:16 are about the OT, as the NT was being written, unknown to him. Opinion is not wrong and a personally called Apostles of Jesus, Paul did have reason to be heeded. Thankfully he was honest enough to point out it was HIS opinion and not a directive from God. He knew the difference. Many today don't.

It's good to know that people have true knowledge of The Bible :)

Upvote 0

Seipai

Jan 20, 2014
✟1,266.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If schools have a SCIENCE program, then they should have a RELIGION program. IF schools only want to teach FACT, then ALL theory should be eliminated.

You clearly do not know what a scientific theory is. A scientific theory explains facts. It could be said to be at the "top of the pyramid" in science. You cannot teach science without teaching theories.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If schools have a SCIENCE program, then they should have a RELIGION program. IF schools only want to teach FACT, then ALL theory should be eliminated.

:doh:ly wrong (or in other words: Face palmingly wrong).

As others have pointed out scientific theories explain facts.

What sort of religion programs do you want to have? Obviously it would be unfair to be biased for any one religion. That would mean equal time would have to be given all religions from Christianity to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, from Islam to Hinduism, Judaism to Buddhism. Each religion might get a half an hour at the most.

Funny, when you offer to have a fair and balanced religious class Christians are usually the first to object.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
You clearly do not know what a scientific theory is. A scientific theory explains facts. It could be said to be at the "top of the pyramid" in science. You cannot teach science without teaching theories.

I see, so a 'scientific' theory is NOT an actual theory. How convenient.

I remember science class, including all the experiments we did, and they all SHOWED facts, not theories.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
ly wrong (or in other words: Face palmingly wrong).
As others have pointed out scientific theories explain facts.
What sort of religion programs do you want to have? Obviously it would be unfair to be biased for any one religion. That would mean equal time would have to be given all religions from Christianity to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, from Islam to Hinduism, Judaism to Buddhism. Each religion might get a half an hour at the most.
Funny, when you offer to have a fair and balanced religious class Christians are usually the first to object.

I'm not really willing to respond to people who only want to be sarcastic or derisive.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not really willing to respond to people who only want to be sarcastic or derisive.

The only thing even slightly derisive was how I told you how terribly wrong you were. The rest is correct. So let me try one more time:

Appallingly wrong. As others have pointed out scientific theories explain facts.

Is that better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I remember science class, including all the experiments we did, and they all SHOWED facts, not theories.

Once again as others have pointed out you do not know what a scientific theory is. That may not be your fault, but you should really learn what the word means in a scientific setting. It has a totally different meaning from that commonly used.

What is a Scientific Theory? | Definition of Theory | LiveScience

"A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step—known as a theory—in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon."

The theory of evolution is one of the most well accepted theories (that means it is accepted by scientists, especially the scientists that know best as being correct) in all of science. The theory of evolution explains the facts of evolution.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

By the way, you are being rather sarcastic and derisive here yourself. And what makes it worse, you are wrong.

Now being sarcastic and derisive when you are correct can be a bit obnoxious. I will own up that fault. Being sarcastic and derisive when you are wrong is almost unforgivable. Isn't there some sort of saying about a beam in your eye? You just showed that you have a serious beam in your eye.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

No, a theory in science has a very particular technical meaning. In particular, a current scientific theory (such as evolution) is supported by vast quantities of evidence, and also provides a framework for understanding and explaining that evidence.

Upvote 0

Affliction

Jun 26, 2013
Connecticut
✟470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

He wasn't. And he had a completely valid point. If you really want Religious classes, you need to devote classes concerned with "A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or Sects"

All of the Religions, parody or not, are included because of this definition.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
He wasn't. And he had a completely valid point. If you really want Religious classes, you need to devote classes concerned with "A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or Sects"
All of the Religions, parody or not, are included because of this definition.

Yes that would be fine, in the context of education. I have no problem with that whatsoever. Based on current scenarios, non-religious beliefs are being supported and preferred over religious beliefs. This is counter to the Estalbishment Clause I itemized in my post 296

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
No, a theory in science has a very particular technical meaning. In particular, a current scientific theory (such as evolution) is supported by vast quantities of evidence, and also provides a framework for understanding and explaining that evidence.

Like I said, a different definition of 'theory'.

Upvote 0

Affliction

Jun 26, 2013
Connecticut
✟470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes that would be fine, in the context of education. I have no problem with that whatsoever. Based on current scenarios, non-religious beliefs are being supported and preferred over religious beliefs. This is counter to the Estalbishment Clause I itemized in my post 296

Thank society, Science, and education. ;)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Like I said, a different definition of 'theory'.

Correct. When we talk about science, we use scientific definitions.

Ringworm is neither a ring nor a worm. It is a fungus.
A puff adder neither puffs, nor can it add; it is a snake.
A fishstick is neither a fish nor a stick. It is a fungus.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Except you made a terrible error. You, or the source you quoted, added the line of nonsense that you underlined.

That line does not exist in the establishment clause. That is one of the reasons I did not recognize it.

Changing the U.S. Constitution is an ambitious endeavor. It is not accomplished by adding whatever you think is missing from it.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Correct. When we talk about science, we use scientific definitions.
Ringworm is neither a ring nor a worm. It is a fungus.
A puff adder neither puffs, nor can it add; it is a snake.
A fishstick is neither a fish nor a stick. It is a fungus.

But equivocation still means the same thing, as does theory. When it's not a theory, it is called a LAW.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.