God Loves you Unconditionally, or does He?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
We've heard it a million times, and we've likely said it as many, "God loves you unconditionally", so, do we believe it or not?

The "U" in TULIP stands for Unconditional Election. It simply means that God sets His saving love on His elect, based on nothing they have done, or will do. His election is unconditional. That's easy, right?

Do you believe that God's love and His sovereignty in election are both unconditional?

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We've heard it a million times, and we've likely said it as many, "God loves you unconditionally", so, do we believe it or not?

The "U" in TULIP stands for Unconditional Election. It simply means that God sets His saving love on His elect, based on nothing they have done, or will do. His election is unconditional. That's easy, right?

Do you believe that God's love and His sovereignty in election are both unconditional?
No I don't believe his love is unconditional at all. There are definatley conditions attached.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

God’s Electing Love

Though God’s sovereign election of some sinners unto salvation is hated by the natural man, those who must have their sovereignty over their eternal state, it is actually one of the most humbling and peace giving truths taught in the Scriptures. When the Scriptures speak of God choosing a people unto Himself in sovereign election it is always in the context of electing love.
We must remember that God is not nor ever has been under any obligation to save a single sinner. He could have just as easily damned all of Adam’s race to everlasting torment. For Him to have done so would not have in any way disturbed His sufficiency in Himself. He would remain as satisfied and content in Himself if He had never saved any of us.
But God, who is rich in mercy, grace and love, determined, in infinite wisdom and power, to glorify Himself in sovereign mercy toward chosen sinners. Though there was nothing about any of us to draw His wondrous love for we are all doomed, damned sinners by nature, He set His infinite love on some and gave them in covenant mercy to His Son.
The Son, at the appointed time, came as their Redeemer, Savior and Lord to accomplish all that covenant love required. He stood as Surety for them making all their debt of sin His debt. He made Himself responsible for all their sin and the stood as their substitute on the cursed tree.
As their firstborn brother He rose from the grave and ascended to sit on the throne of all majesty and power as their Intercessor and living King. He does all things for their sakes.
In love the Spirit comes to each chosen sinner by the preaching of the Gospel and gives them life and faith in Christ Jesus the Lord. He lovingly makes them see their need of Him and then reveals the glory of God shining in the face of Jesus Christ.
The elect are an innumerable multitude who are as the sands of the sea and the stars of the sky. What a wonder that the majestic Sovereign of all Creation should set His love on a people who deserve nothing from Him but wrath and punishment. To the sinner who needs saving God’s electing love is a wonder and a joyous truth.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why are you saying yes sir to his post are you talking to your superior?
Are you telling me to only talk through the book of Christ? The holy bible? Do you speak to me with scriptures and then I reply with scriptures I can remember? Or should I answer in my normal language?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Are you telling me to only talk through the book of Christ? The holy bible? Do you speak to me with scriptures and then I reply with scriptures I can remember? Or should I answer in my normal language?
Answer in your own words hopefully according to Scripture. If you speak that which is not according to Scripture expect to be shown where you are wrong. :)

Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Hell:A place where I don't want to go.
Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing is for certain and that is that if God didn't love us we'd have been vaporized years ago. It sure seems like His love comes with strings attached.. Until we realize that He gives us a second chance and more to get right with Him ..or "follow" His rules. In the Torah if someone broke His rules then that person was toast.But then He sent His son Jesus to die for us (now if anyone should have been wondering if God's love had conditions it should have been Jesus) so we should just be grateful that God loved us so much that He sent His only begotten son not to condemn us but with some grace and help.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just want to add that I find scripture really boring I've spent some time reading them, can we not close the book and talk like men?
No. In spiritual matters the Scriptures are alone our guide and rule.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Beloved Pure

autistic and awkward
Dec 7, 2016
England
✟9,788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe that God does love all of humanity, past, present and future unconditionally. And that He still loves us even when we turn from Him.

As for His elect I believe them to be the Nation of Israel and not Gentiles. I don't know whether I believe all Jews will be with Him in Paradise though just that all their eyes shall be finally be opened.

I believe God's love to be a Holy, Righteous and Just love not limited to a human understanding of affectionate/romantic kind and therefore will not tolerate evil in His presence despite loving the unrepentant individual because His love does not force itself.

I believe in God's supreme sovereignty.

To be honest I didn't really understand the last question to answer it well.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The conditions.
Where should I start ?
1) you have to believe in Jesus or you will die in foul judgement. (This leaves a very big moral dilemma for my friends who are within Islam. I have some great Muslim friends I have even been lucky enough to dance with some of them and enjoy trips out with our cousins. I would rather die here on the earth and remain upon it with my great grandfathers than serve under that doctrine. Why is their no hope for our Muslim cousins or humankind? They must hate us because we tell them they are doomed did Christ say he wanted to rule the world like a king? My history is littered with bloodshed living under a kings direction. Let Christ be our shepherd as he always was.

Shall I leave it there? I don't want to go on to much

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Answer in your own words hopefully according to Scripture. If you speak that which is not according to Scripture expect to be shown where you are wrong. :)
when you say in my own words do you mean speak my mind or speak in scriptures I'm not sure I get this bit? I thought I did but I'm just not getting it.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"God loves you unconditionally", so, do we believe it or not?
When I hear people saying this, they can mean that our Heavenly Father never will give up loving us, no matter what we do or how we can be wrong.

But I understand that included in our Father loving us is how He corrects us > Hebrews 12:4-11.

Also, how God loves us unconditionally is our example, also required of us. We, too, are expected to be unconditionally loving >

"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, and offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma."
(Ephesians 4:32-5:2)

So, yes God wants us also to be so forgiving and so sacrificed sweetly to loving any and all people.

I think this is clear and correct. But how do we apply this? Do we follow His example of how He so loves in spite of how any of us has been undeserving? Jesus did all He did, on the cross, while we all were do undeserving; and this is our example required of us, as I understand Ephesians 5:2 means, and this is the only thing which can happen as Jesus grows in us as our new inner Love Person > Galatians 4:19. So, why accept or seek less than all this which is possible with God?

yes

There are definatley conditions attached.
I would say that there are results which come because of God electing and then correcting someone > Hebrews 12:4-11 tells what happens because of how our Heavenly Father corrects us, and this says we need to actively seek Him to correct us and we need to submit to this correction.. Election brings one becoming conformed to the image of Jesus > Romans 8:29.

Love gives no less than God's own best, and love does no less than His own best >

"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

Upvote 0