Prescott, Az
✟38,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
John 3:33. He who is getting His testimony sets his seal that God is true.

What is the message of John the Baptist here? God is True?
True>alethes=having nothing hidden, to be fully disclosed.
This is not nearly as simple and obvious a statement as one might think.
To the one who receives the message from The Son,
The Father is fully disclosed.
John 14:
6 Jesus is saying to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one is coming to the Father except through Me.
7 If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also. And henceforth you know Him and have seen Him.
8 Philip is saying to Him, Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficing us.
9 Jesus is saying to him, So much time I am with you, and you do not know Me, Philip!
He who has seen Me has seen the Father, and how are you saying, Show us the Father?

John, the beloved disciple, in his gospel chapter 3 is purposefully, and under the direction of the Holy Spirit, contrasting two conversations. One between John the Baptist and his disciples in verses 22 through 36. The other is between Messiah Yeshua and the teacher and Pharisee Nicodemus, “a ruler among the Jews”.
So what is the testimony of the Messiah that must be received in order for the Father to be fully disclosed?
John 3:7. Do not marvel that I said to you, You must be born from above.
From above>anothen>most translations of John 3 use born again.
But not here:
John 3:31. He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.
John 19:11. Jesus answered, You could have no power at all against Me
unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered
Me to you has the greater sin.

James 1:17. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

James 3:17. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Barnes commentary on John 3:33

"
He that hath received his testimony - Hath received and fully believed his doctrine. Hath yielded his heart to its influence.

Hath set to his seal - To "seal" an instrument is to make it sure; to acknowledge it as ours; to pledge our varacity that it is true and binding, as when a man seals a bond, a deed, or a will. Believing a doctrine, therefore, in the heart, is expressed by "sealing it," or by believing it we express our firm conviction that it is true, and that God who has spoken it is true. We vouch for the veracity of God, and assume as our own the proposition that it is the truth of God.

God is true - Is faithful; is the author of the system of doctrines, and will fulfill all that he has promised. We learn here:

1. that to be a true believer is something more than to hold a mere speculative belief of the truth.

2. that to be a believer is to "pledge ourselves" for the truth, to seal it as our own, to adopt it, to choose it, and solemnly assent to it, as a man does in regard to an instrument of writing that is to convey his property, or that is to dispose of it when he dies.

3. Every Christian is a witness for God, and it is his business to show by his life that he believes that God is true to his threatenings and to his promises. See the notes at Isaiah 43:10.

4. It is a solemn act to become a Christian. It is a surrender of all to God, or giving away body, soul, and spirit to him, with a belief that he is true, and alone is able to save.

5. The man that does not do this - that is not willing to pledge his belief that God is true, sets to his seal that God is a liar and unworthy of confidence, 1 John 5:10."
---------------
God is true. He is faithful. His words will be done. God is righteous. His will be done, not ours.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0