United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God Is Not Love

[A brilliant article, I'd highly recommend clicking the link and reading the whole thing.]

"If we accept the way that the modern world defines "love", then we would have to conclude that God is not love.

God is holy. He is a consuming fire. He is the way, the truth, and the life. God is a lot of things. But He is not love. At least, not according to the way the world abuses the word "love"...

...WHAT IS LOVE?

In Scripture, the Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to write 1 Corinthians 13:4-6, providing us with a proper description of love:

• Love is patient
  • Love is kind
  • Love does not envy
  • Love does not boast
  • Love is not proud
  • Love does not dishonor others
  • Love is not self-seeking
  • Love is not easily angered
  • Love keeps no record of wrongs
  • Love does not delight in evil
  • Love rejoices with the truth
Reviewing this list, it is very difficult to see how anything in the modern "free love" or "LGBT" movements have anything to do with genuine love. Tell an unmarried couple that it is wrong to fornicate, and there will be nothing patient or kind in the way they respond to you. Tell homosexuals that they don't have a right to sleep with whomever they want, and find out for yourself whether or not they are easily angered.

If love is not self-seeking, then why do they place such a high priority on their own sexual pleasure?

If love does not delight in evil, why do they delight in every form of sexual activity which is condemned by Holy Scripture?

If love is not proud, why do they have homosexual "pride" parades?

Whether a man sleeps with his girlfriend, or whether he sleeps with another man, his actions have nothing whatsoever to do with "love". His deeds are impatient, unkind, and dishonoring to others. He is envious, self-centered, and proud. He delights in evil, and rejects the truth. And if you remind him of this, he is very easily angered. This is not love. This is the opposite of love.

christ-icon_sinai.jpg

WHO IS LOVE?

If we truly understand love, then we speak truthfully when we say, "God is love".

In the following paragraphs, click on the links to see the underlying passages from Holy Scripture.

Jesus is God. Therefore, Jesus is Love. That means Love became a man who walked with us on earth. Love confronted sinners. Love told people to repent. Love told people to love one another. Love told people to stop sinning.

Love insulted false teachers, calling them hypocrites, whitewashed tombs, and snakes. Love got angry with people who lacked compassion. Love made a whip, knocked down tables, and drove out people who were defiling the temple.

Love healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, and raised the dead. Love warned people of hell, and provided a way for them to enter heaven. Love was always good, but Love was not always nice.

Love is the Resurrection and the Life. Love promises that all those who follow Him will live forever.

Love is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. Love says that sexually immoral people shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

Love is patient. He has given us many opportunities for repentance. And if we do repent, then we will rejoice with Him forever in heaven. But those who refuse to repent will eventually be cast into the eternal flames of hell.

Love must reign, until Love puts all enemies under his feet.

And this will truly be the point where Love Wins."

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand the OP is referring to a worldly love, but I don't think it is appropriate to say "God is not love" because the Bible says "God is love." It would be more appropriate to say that "God is not the world's definition of love." For 1 John 4:8 says "God is love."

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand the OP is referring to a worldly love, but I don't think it is appropriate to say "God is not love" because the Bible says "God is love." It would be more appropriate to say that "God is not the world's definition of love." For 1 John 4:8 says "God is love."
I believe the OP addressed this. I know the title is an attention getter. It worked because we are here.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God Is Not Love

[A brilliant article, I'd highly recommend clicking the link and reading the whole thing.]

"If we accept the way that the modern world defines "love", then we would have to conclude that God is not love.

God is holy. He is a consuming fire. He is the way, the truth, and the life. God is a lot of things. But He is not love. At least, not according to the way the world abuses the word "love"...

...WHAT IS LOVE?

In Scripture, the Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to write 1 Corinthians 13:4-6, providing us with a proper description of love:

• Love is patient
    • Love is kind
    • Love does not envy
    • Love does not boast
    • Love is not proud
    • Love does not dishonor others
    • Love is not self-seeking
    • Love is not easily angered
    • Love keeps no record of wrongs
    • Love does not delight in evil
    • Love rejoices with the truth
Reviewing this list, it is very difficult to see how anything in the modern "free love" or "LGBT" movements have anything to do with genuine love. Tell an unmarried couple that it is wrong to fornicate, and there will be nothing patient or kind in the way they respond to you. Tell homosexuals that they don't have a right to sleep with whomever they want, and find out for yourself whether or not they are easily angered.

If love is not self-seeking, then why do they place such a high priority on their own sexual pleasure?

If love does not delight in evil, why do they delight in every form of sexual activity which is condemned by Holy Scripture?

If love is not proud, why do they have homosexual "pride" parades?

Whether a man sleeps with his girlfriend, or whether he sleeps with another man, his actions have nothing whatsoever to do with "love". His deeds are impatient, unkind, and dishonoring to others. He is envious, self-centered, and proud. He delights in evil, and rejects the truth. And if you remind him of this, he is very easily angered. This is not love. This is the opposite of love.

christ-icon_sinai.jpg

WHO IS LOVE?

If we truly understand love, then we speak truthfully when we say, "God is love".

In the following paragraphs, click on the links to see the underlying passages from Holy Scripture.

Jesus is God. Therefore, Jesus is Love. That means Love became a man who walked with us on earth. Love confronted sinners. Love told people to repent. Love told people to love one another. Love told people to stop sinning.

Love insulted false teachers, calling them hypocrites, whitewashed tombs, and snakes. Love got angry with people who lacked compassion. Love made a whip, knocked down tables, and drove out people who were defiling the temple.

Love healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, and raised the dead. Love warned people of hell, and provided a way for them to enter heaven. Love was always good, but Love was not always nice.

Love is the Resurrection and the Life. Love promises that all those who follow Him will live forever.

Love is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. Love says that sexually immoral people shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

Love is patient. He has given us many opportunities for repentance. And if we do repent, then we will rejoice with Him forever in heaven. But those who refuse to repent will eventually be cast into the eternal flames of hell.

Love must reign, until Love puts all enemies under his feet.

And this will truly be the point where Love Wins."
Compelling OP. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps “God is not worldly libertarian love?”

Yes. That would be better indeed.

Another example of an incorrect title (IMO) is the title of the Christian movie series called: "God's Not Dead." It is a response to a negative statement made by a person claiming the opposite of that. I like to speak in line with the faith or God's Word. But that's just me.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The title was just click bait! ^_^

I understood that. That is why I said in my initial post "I understand the OP is referring to a worldly love,"; I just do not agree with doing this particular method of catching folks attention in such a way because it is a statement that appears to directly contradict Scripture (at first glance). To me, Scripture is sacred, and so I would not want to put forth words that appeared to contradict that because I do not want to give anyone a wrong first impression. But again, that's just me. I want to always do what is good and right by the Lord.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarcusT

Oct 9, 2019
Jyvaskyla
✟8,192.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
My understanding is that God is not defined by love but love is defined by God. Love is whatever God is. This is what God = love means.

I'm aware of all the difficult implications this leads to
but I cannot find any other solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0