God is love, Love is not Jealous, God is a Jealous god???

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How are all three of these verses true at the same time?

7 Beloved, let’s love one another; for love is from God, and everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 By this the love of God was revealed in us, that God has sent His only Son into the world so that we may live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us. ~ 1 Jn 4:7-12, NASB.

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous; love does not brag, it is not arrogant. 5 It does not act disgracefully, it does not seek its own benefit; it is not provoked, does not keep an account of a wrong suffered, 6 it does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 it keeps every confidence, it believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. ~ 1 Cor 13:4-7 NASB

4You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, inflicting the punishment of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing favor to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. ~ Exodus 20:4-6 NASB

God is love,
Love is not jealous,
God is a jealous God.

How then can God be love and jealous at the same time?

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous; love does not brag, it is not arrogant. 5 It does not act disgracefully, it does not seek its own benefit; it is not provoked, does not keep an account of a wrong suffered, 6 it does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 it keeps every confidence, it believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. ~ 1 Cor 13:4-7 NASB

4You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, inflicting the punishment of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing favor to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. ~ Exodus 20:4-6 NASB
Excellent question, and the problem is in the English language. The word Jealous has 2 main meanings:

#1 Feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages / hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage : ENVIOUS.

#2 Fiercely protective or vigilant of one's rights or possessions / intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness.

In 1Co 13:4-7 the word translated 'jealous' is Gr 'zeloo' which has meaning #1.

In Exo 20:4-6 the word translated 'jealous' in Gr 'zelotes' in the LXX and it has meaning #2.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
#2 Fiercely protective or vigilant of one's rights or possessions / intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness.
In the case of God, this means He is jealous for us, for our own good . . . not for how humans can use rights selfishly and self-destructively.

• Informative
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed

7 Beloved, let’s love one another; for love is from God, and everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 By this the love of God was revealed in us, that God has sent His only Son into the world so that we may live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us. ~ 1 Jn 4:7-12, NASB.

God is love,
Love is not jealous,
God is a jealous God.

Because God has no true rivals that are equal to Him.

Jealousy is only bad when there are other equivalent beings around. If there are no other true gods, then Yahweh has every right to be jealous.

Thus, the paradox is resolvable. Oprah was wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God is love,
Love is not jealous,
God is a jealous God.

It is not the same type of flesh driven jealousy we experience. God's jealousy is by definition " intolerant of rivalry and unfaithfulness ". Be blessed.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Excellent question, and the problem is in the English language. The word Jealous has 2 main meanings:

#1 Feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages / hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage : ENVIOUS.

In 1Co 13:4-7 the word translated 'jealous' is Gr 'zeloo' which has meaning #1.

In Exo 20:4-6 the word translated 'jealous' in Gr 'zelotes' in the LXX and it has meaning #2.

In 1 Cor 13 I agree that the word in zeloi or zeloo (2206). Strong's defines this as "Jealous"

In Ex 20:5 is the Hebrew word qanna (7067). Strong's defines this as "Jealous"

The definition of jealous is "hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage"

Definition of JEALOUS

It seems to me both passages are referring to the same meaning. It makes sense that love is not being hostile toward a rival as in 1 Co 13 and that in context of Ex 20:5 makes sense that God is hostile toward rivals since God is talking about punishing them.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because God has no true rivals that are equal to Him.

Jealousy is only bad when there are other equivalent beings around. If there are no other true gods, then Yahweh has every right to be jealous.

Thus, the paradox is resolvable.
This is just an assertion about when jealousy is wrong. This is just special pleading.

Oprah was wrong.
Why these comments? How do they add value to the conversation? Just stop for once, jeez.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God is love,
Love is not jealous,
God is a jealous God.

Got me. I've now been convinced to give up Christianity.

That was the point...right? To dissuade our faith by pointing out that the bible is a lie?

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
This is just an assertion about when jealousy is wrong. This is just special pleading.

If there are no other gods except for Yahweh, then who is God jealous of? <-- That's my point.

Why these comments? How do they add value to the conversation? Just stop for once, jeez.

Because Oprah is largely responsible for popularizing that particular argument in your OP. I posted it for historical sourcing.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God is love,
Love is not jealous,
God is a jealous God.

God does not have emotions, He is the same all the time, He is impassible

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The definition of jealous is "hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage"

Definition of JEALOUS
Why do you say this? This is not true. Miriam-Webster Dictionary that you quote gives 3 definitions for "jealous." Why do you select the definition that does not apply to God?

• Agree
Reactions: ChetSinger
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the case of God, this means He is jealous for us, for our own good . . . not for how humans can use rights selfishly and self-destructively.
It is good to be jealous and destroy other people?
With Jesus we specialize in love and mercy and forgiveness; so, no . . . destroying other people is not in our job description :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God is love,
Love is not jealous,
God is a jealous God.

... I think that what Paul was implying in 1 Corinthians 13:4 is that we shouldn't have the kind of jealousy that comes from wanting something that isn't rightfully ours to begin with ...

In God's case, He has the RIGHT to begin with, just as our wives have the RIGHT to expect us, their husbands, to focus on them and not on "other women."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If there are no other gods except for Yahweh, then who is God jealous of? <-- That's my point.
I did not write the book. It says He is jealous and the Hebrew word in context means jealous as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Got me. I've now been convinced to give up Christianity.

That was the point...right? To dissuade our faith by pointing out that the bible is a lie?
I just pointed out that there seems to be a discrepancy in an apologetic forum where I am allowed to ask questions.

So is it ok that Christians try to convince me that their worldview is true yet I am not allowed to do the same?

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why do you say this? This is not true. Miriam-Webster Dictionary that you quote gives 3 definitions for "jealous." Why do you select the definition that does not apply to God?
The context fits the definition. How do you pick which definition is correct and which one do you think is correct?

Upvote 0