South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, I'd like to remind all readers that this is a Christians Only thread in a Christians Only Forum.

This concept is very easily definable within Scripture and is very significant in the current state of affairs in our world.

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."
1 John 4:7-8

Only God can define love. And if love is defined by God, and taught so in the Bible, then what is considered to be love by the world's standards, cannot be love. If someone who does not live in alignment with God's Ways is loving something, or someone, what they are experiencing and expressing cannot be love. The world does not define what love is when love was first defined by God and His Word.

There are many who love all kinds of things in this world; cars, money, power, drugs, alcohol. You name it.

I have personally known multiple addicts who truly believed they loved their substance of choice. They loved what it did for them, they loved how it made them feel physically, how it made them feel about themselves mentally and emotionally and they loved how it made them feel loved by others.

I have a sibling who has battled alcohol for many years. They admitted to me, on more than one occasion, that they believed the alcohol was 'who they were' in a sense. They had been duped by the substance to actually identify with it at a very deep level, as part of themselves. Refusing to accept that it was a problem in their life, they would encourage me to stop with the judgment of the alcohol and just get to know them for who they are. They promised that I would like them so much better if I'd just get to know them. Many attempts to explain to them that the alcohol was not who they were fell on deaf ears; explaining to them that if they'd just sober up long enough to learn who they really are that they would see the difference. This was all to no avail and the spirit of the substance still owns them to this very day.

The Bible speaks in many places of snares. It refers to idols as snares, and even to the ways of the pagan nations (the world) as snares. These snares are just like they sound. They are spiritual traps that ensnare a soul and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to free oneself from them. Without God's divine providence, it is impossible to be set completely free of these snares.

The main point of this discussion is that anything can be made into an idol in one's life, absolutely anything. The person can truly believe that they are loving, and in-love with, that thing or that person. But if that experience is not in alignment with God, and His purposes for mankind, it cannot possibly be love. It is not of God, ... it is of another. The spirits that indwell idols, and accept worship of them, are very powerful demons. Worship can come in many forms. One of the most common forms is simply putting that thing above all else.

Young people today are addicted to so many different things and they have no awareness, nor belief in the possibility, that what they are doing is detrimental to their well being and to their very soul. All kinds of tech is loved and held as a type of idol; people in great numbers are in love with the idea of their social media images. In their twisted understanding of reality, they truly believe it is who they are.

There are many ungodly lifestyles today that are based around this false experience, and idea, of love, but there are much, much worse lifestyles coming right behind them. There are already organizations in place to foist upon the world the acceptance of love between grown adults and children, Pedophilia. And there are even those who will someday be loving and marrying animals.

LOVE is OF God and ONLY God can define love. He has done so in His Word. Anything less than that IS NOT LOVE.

Last edited:

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, I'd like to remind all readers that this is a Christians Only thread in a Christians Only Forum.

This concept is very easily definable within Scripture and is very significant in the current state of affairs in our world.

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."
1 John 4:7-8

Only God can define love. And if love is defined by God, and taught so in the Bible, then what is considered to be love by the world's standards, cannot be love. If someone who does not live in alignment with God's Ways is loving something, or someone, what they are experiencing and expressing cannot be love. The world does not define what love is when love was first defined by God and His Word.

There are many who love all kinds of things in this world; cars, money, power, drugs, alcohol. You name it.

I have personally known multiple addicts who truly believed they loved their substance of choice. They loved what it did for them, they loved how it made them feel physically, how it made them feel about themselves mentally and emotionally and they loved how it made them feel loved by others.

I have a sibling who has battled alcohol for many years. They admitted to me, on more than one occasion, that they believed the alcohol was 'who they were' in a sense. They had been duped by the substance to actually identify with it at a very deep level, as part of themselves. Refusing to accept that it was a problem in their life, they would encourage me to stop with the judgment of the alcohol and just get to know them for who they are. They promised that I would like them so much better if I'd just get to know them. Many attempts to explain to them that the alcohol was not who they were fell on deaf ears; explaining to them that if they'd just sober up long enough to learn who they really are that they would see the difference. This was all to no avail and the spirit of the substance still owns them to this very day.

The Bible speaks in many places of snares. It refers to idols as snares, and even to the ways of the pagan nations (the world) as snares. These snares are just like they sound. They are spiritual traps that ensnare a soul and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to free oneself from them. Without God's divine providence, it is impossible to be set completely free of these snares.

The main point of this discussion is that anything can be made into an idol in one's life, absolutely anything. The person can truly believe that they are loving, and in-love with, that thing or that person. But if that experience is not in alignment with God, and His purposes for mankind, it cannot possibly be love. It is not of God, ... it is of another. The spirits that indwell idols, and accept worship of them, are very powerful demons. Worship can come in many forms. One of the most common forms is simply putting that thing above all else.

Young people today are addicted to so many different things and they have no awareness, nor belief in the possibility, that what they are doing is detrimental to their well being and to their very soul. All kinds of tech is loved and held as a type of idol; people in great numbers are in love with the idea of their social media images. In their twisted understanding of reality, they truly believe it is who they are.

There are many ungodly lifestyles today that are based around this false experience, and idea, of love, but there are much, much worse lifestyles coming right behind them. There are already organizations in place to foist upon the world the acceptance of love between grown adults and children, Pedophilia. And there are even those who will someday be loving and marrying animals.

LOVE is OF God and ONLY God can define love. He has done so in His Word. Anything less than that IS NOT LOVE.
The agape love of God is the New Life of Salvation. Love is inherently righteous, because not only does love do no harm to anyone with malicious intent, but love uses our talents to help others and our society to feel and understand the love of God through those whom love works through.

Galatians 5:6 (NIV) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Luke 6:35 (NIV) But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV) 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Matthew 16:14-15 (NIV) 14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Love is not an emotion or human desire, it's a verb - meaning it's something we act out.
I believe it's from the Holy Spirit that flows through us. Jesus' actions showed love in his entire ministry on Earth. And when he washed the disciples feet he told them (showed them) what it meant to love.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Love is not an emotion or human desire, it's a verb - meaning it's something we act out.
I believe it's from the Holy Spirit that flows through us. Jesus' actions showed love in his entire ministry on Earth. And when he washed the disciples feet he told them (showed them) what it meant to love.
Yes, very true. As well, as Lord Jesus and the Epistles teach us, godly love cannot be manifest in anyone who claims to know God as His Father; yet he is double-minded, neither cold nor hot, putting his hand to the plow and looking back, still a slave to the Master of selfish ambition yet desiring to follow Lord Jesus. A person cannot serve two masters, because he will love the one and hate the other.

James 4:7-8 (WEB) 7 Be subject therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners. Purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Matthew 6:24 (WEB) “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can’t serve both God and Mammon.

Matthew 10:38 (WEB) 38 He who doesn’t take his cross and follow after me isn’t worthy of me.

Therefore, anyone who belongs to Lord Jesus is he who has crucified the old master, so that he may now, by the Spirit, follow Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love.

Galatians 5:13-25 (WEB)
13 For you, brothers, were called for freedom. Only don’t use your freedom for gain to the flesh, but through love be servants to one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself." [Leviticus 19:18] 15 But if you bite and devour one another, be careful that you don’t consume one another.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won’t fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, that you may not do the things that you desire. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

To walk by the flesh is condemnation, but if we walk by the Spirit, then from the Spirit we have Eternal Life.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) 7 Don’t be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we do not give up.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The agape love of God is the New Life of Salvation. Love is inherently righteous, because not only does love do no harm to anyone with malicious intent, but love uses our talents to help others and our society to feel and understand the love of God through those whom love works through.

Galatians 5:6 (NIV) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Luke 6:35 (NIV) But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV) 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Matthew 16:14-15 (NIV) 14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Most of this has nothing to do with the OP. We're not discussing forgiveness or kind treatment of enemies.

The topic is love and how the concept is twisted when used to describe someone's affection for idolatrous things, or people who live contrary to God's Word.

Being loving to your enemies is not the same thing as being IN-love with an idol (drugs/alc) or someone who is living contrary to God's Way.
Only God defines love. We do not. It is literally just the same as marriage.

Marriage is a Christian concept, not a fact of life for all living people. It is a tradition created by God, for God's purposes. Marriage is not marriage if it is celebrated, or performed, in a way that is not in alignment with God's Word.
Yes, very true. As well, as Lord Jesus and the Epistles teach us, godly love cannot be manifest in anyone who claims to know God as His Father; yet he is double-minded, neither cold nor hot, putting his hand to the plow and looking back, still a slave to the Master of selfish ambition yet desiring to follow Lord Jesus. A person cannot serve two masters, because he will love the one and hate the other.

James 4:7-8 (WEB) 7 Be subject therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners. Purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Matthew 6:24 (WEB) “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can’t serve both God and Mammon.

Matthew 10:38 (WEB) 38 He who doesn’t take his cross and follow after me isn’t worthy of me.

Therefore, anyone who belongs to Lord Jesus is he who has crucified the old master, so that he may now, by the Spirit, follow Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love.

Galatians 5:13-25 (WEB)
13 For you, brothers, were called for freedom. Only don’t use your freedom for gain to the flesh, but through love be servants to one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself." [Leviticus 19:18] 15 But if you bite and devour one another, be careful that you don’t consume one another.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won’t fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, that you may not do the things that you desire. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

To walk by the flesh is condemnation, but if we walk by the Spirit, then from the Spirit we have Eternal Life.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) 7 Don’t be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we do not give up.
This doesn't apply to the OP.

The subject is Biblical Love. Not the fruits of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most of this has nothing to do with the OP. We're not discussing forgiveness or kind treatment of enemies.

The topic is love and how the concept is twisted when used to describe someone's affection for idolatrous things, or people who live contrary to God's Word.

Being loving to your enemies is not the same thing as being IN-love with an idol (drugs/alc) or someone who is living contrary to God's Way.

Marriage is a Christian concept, not a fact of life for all living people. It is a tradition created by God, for God's purposes. Marriage is not marriage if it is celebrated, or performed, in a way that is not in alignment with God's Word.

This doesn't apply to the OP.

The subject is Biblical Love. Not the fruits of the Spirit.
Forgiveness and kindness to our enemies is the expression of love. Lord Jesus taught us all about love. One first should be able to understand what he is reading from God's Word before he can make judgments about what is op or not. And he should also be a registered moderator of the board. The fruits of the Spirit are the manifestation of the love of God in those who renounce the old master and now walk in the Spirit as the Scriptures I quoted plainly teach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We follow and serve what we love and believe in.
  • Those who serve any idol(s) shows that which he loves and puts his faith in (Matthew 6:24).
  • Those who serve Lord Jesus, shows that His love and faith are in Lord Jesus (John 15:10).
  • And to serve Lord Jesus is to renounce the old master, and follow our rightful Lord Jesus into a holy life of righteousness and love (Galatians 5:22-25).
  • This is the Faith of the Gospel by which we possess life, which is a life of love.
Some people do not know what love is. They think that love has nothing to do with the fruits of the Spirit, that love has nothing to do with kindness to our enemies, or forgiving others their trespasses against us. They think love has nothing to do with peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

But what does God teach us in His Word? What is Love?

That is what Love is according to God's Word. Yet, there are some who will say, flat out, that this is not love.

Love is expressed in the fruits of the Spirit, and is demonstrated in the one who walks by the Spirit, which is to follow Lord Jesus.

Galatians 5:22-25 (WEB) 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Forgiveness and kindness to our enemies is the expression of love. Lord Jesus taught us all about love. One first has to able to read and understand God's Word before he can make judgments about what is op or not. The fruits of the Spirit are the manifestation of the love of God in those who renounce the old master and now walk in the Spirit as the Scriptures I quoted plainly teach.
OP = Original Post/Poster

It would behoove you to read it.

From the OP:
The Fruits of the Spirit have nothing to do with the false love that is experienced for idols or people who are not in alignment with God.
It can really sting when you look back on your life and realise you may have elevated an individual, or a relationship with a created being, over your relationship with the Creator, be it consciously or unconsciously. We’re called to love one another as ourselves, right? Not “love one another as our gods”.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

OP = Original Post/Poster

It would behoove you to read it.

From the OP:

The Fruits of the Spirit have nothing to do with the false love that is experienced for idols or people who are not in alignment with God.

That is true. And no one on this board said it did. ???? The OP is discussing the difference between love of idols to that of love that comes from God. But your post had nothing to do with any of these things in the topic. Rather, your message was that, to love God, we must obey his commandments. The topic is not about how we love God, but how the love that comes from God is different from the other kinds of love that we serve as our idols. That is what my messages addressed. Your message addressed a completely different topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Idolatry is the act of putting something or someone else in God's place. We are told to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind" (Luke 10:27), and to "have no other gods before Me [God]" (Exodus 20:3). Since God should be preeminent in our lives, the moment we demote Him in order to replace Him with another, we become idolaters. The object of our idolatry can be nearly anything, including another person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I would never say something like that.
Much of this love is demon influence, and some of it is even levels of possession.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I was trying to show the difference between what you were describing (human love) and Gods love.
If we can't define love that is of God then how do we express it to God and others? Real love is expressed in "spirit and truth".

What does marriage have to do with it? You were talking about idols.
And furthermore, the marriage ceremony is an agreement in commitment by a man and woman, again, nothing to do with idolatry.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What does marriage have to do with it? You were talking about idols.
And furthermore, the marriage ceremony is an agreement in commitment by a man and woman, again, nothing to do with idolatry.
It was obvious in the context of my post.

Marriage is an example of another concept, such as love, that was instituted by God. It is a Christian concept.

That's the point.

And no, marriage is not just a commitment between a man and a woman. It is a sacred Christian ceremony in which only God can combine two souls in a way that keeps them spiritually clean and sanctified to Him.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was obvious in the context of my post.

Marriage is an example of another concept, such as love, that was instituted by God. It is a Christian concept.

That's the point.

And no, marriage is not just a commitment between a man and a woman. It is a sacred Christian ceremony in which only God can combine two souls in a way that keeps them spiritually clean and sanctified to Him.
It wasn't obvious to me, but that's fine, I don't disagree with your statements.

Upvote 0