God is calling me to a vocation Im not interested in

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Much secular psychology is not compatible with Christian faith. However there is more to psychology than Freud, whose main interest was human motivations. The church lost sight of the depth of the soul however, through incursions of greek philosophy. But there was Christian psychology in the past, and there should be Christian psychology today.

I don't think we should mix the two in any way. Prayer with the Lord and the Bible should be our guide alone in helping those who have mental problems. Jesus is the answer an not the wisdom of men.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Christians are both sinner and saint, though their prime identity is saint, not sinner. There is still a need to ask God to search our hearts as Christians, not everyone is fully converted.
The scary thing is that a believer has to be fully converted to get to heaven, and that it is the exclusive work of the Holy Spirit in the believer. Accepting Christ, going to church, praying and reading the Bible is just the starting point. The believer has to pray through to gain full conversion, and unless the Holy Spirit works that full conversion in the believer, he will still have the door of the kingdom of God shut against him and will fall into hell. This is why there is a Scripture, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling", and, "Make sure your calling and election is confirmed".

Jesus came to save us from our sins not in them. If we decide to hang on to our favourite and most enjoyable sins. He must have complete holiness because He is holy. We must hate sin, especially our own sin as much as God hates it.

This is not to say that we will not have contact battles with our flesh which we sometimes win and sometimes lose. But if we retain even a little sin, like an area of lust, and try to excuse ourselves that we "can't help it because it is part of our sinful nature", God will reject us because the excuse won't hold water with Him. He has given us a new nature, a nature that hates sin, and will earnestly seek God constantly to ensure that even the smallest sin won't have dominion over us.

There is no such thing as a carnal Christian. A person is either converted or carnal. A converted Christian will gain heaven, a carnal person will fall into hell. It is as simple as that. "Easy" believerism is one of the worst Satanic deceptions that is plaguing the Church, because it deceives folk into believing they are okay when they are not because the God who sees all, and right down into our hearts, sees the pet sins that they try to hide from Him..

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So,almost three years ago I heard the voice of God saying to me that ive been called to study the mind. Which is psychology. And im not interested in counseling people. Ive been through anxiety and depression,and God is slowing healing me,and I feel peace and joy. I feel free. But its not really my thing. Not that im knocking psychology,but I dont want to sit down in a office,and listen to peoples problems. I want to help people through the things ive been through,but more in like pastoral way or a family member in Christ friend type of way. I want to go into Business,like marketing,or start an online business and reach people that way. I dont want to be a Psychologist. I know I have gifts and talents,but its just not my thing. Im kinda conflicted about this,part of me wants to do this but part of me doesnt. Any advice? Thanks.

If that is literally what you heard "your called to study the mind" that is not necessarily saying that is your vocation. You can be called to study something and it not be a vocation. I don't think God wants you to be miserable. He gave you your strengths for a reason

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The scary thing is that a believer has to be fully converted to get to heaven, and that it is the exclusive work of the Holy Spirit in the believer. Accepting Christ, going to church, praying and reading the Bible is just the starting point. The believer has to pray through to gain full conversion, and unless the Holy Spirit works that full conversion in the believer, he will still have the door of the kingdom of God shut against him and will fall into hell. This is why there is a Scripture, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling", and, "Make sure your calling and election is confirmed".

Jesus came to save us from our sins not in them. If we decide to hang on to our favourite and most enjoyable sins. He must have complete holiness because He is holy. We must hate sin, especially our own sin as much as God hates it.

This is not to say that we will not have contact battles with our flesh which we sometimes win and sometimes lose. But if we retain even a little sin, like an area of lust, and try to excuse ourselves that we "can't help it because it is part of our sinful nature", God will reject us because the excuse won't hold water with Him. He has given us a new nature, a nature that hates sin, and will earnestly seek God constantly to ensure that even the smallest sin won't have dominion over us.

There is no such thing as a carnal Christian. A person is either converted or carnal. A converted Christian will gain heaven, a carnal person will fall into hell. It is as simple as that. "Easy" believerism is one of the worst Satanic deceptions that is plaguing the Church, because it deceives folk into believing they are okay when they are not because the God who sees all, and right down into our hearts, sees the pet sins that they try to hide from Him..

What does Paul mean in 1 Corinthian 3:1-3?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think we should mix the two in any way. Prayer with the Lord and the Bible should be our guide alone in helping those who have mental problems. Jesus is the answer an not the wisdom of men.

I don't say they should be mixed. But there should be a christian psychology, a christian understanding of the soul, based on the Bible. In fact there are writtings on biblical psychology:

Biblical Psychology by Oswald Chambers

This isn't mixing secular psychology with theology, its completely based on the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What does Paul mean in 1 Corinthian 3:1-3?
There are two sides to the issue that Paul identifying with the Corinthians. (1) That those engaging the quarreling and jealously were not fully converted to Christ; because contention and jealously are works of the flesh and those who live by them will not inherit the kingdom of God. In other words, if they don't repent and stop their contention and jealousy, they will find the door shut against them when they get to the entrance to heaven. This is a strict warning those who engage in contention and jealously in our churches. They may not be converted, and therefore will fall into hell when their time is up.
(2), that there are genuinely converted Christians who are weak in the battle between the flesh and the Spirit. They know what they are doing is wrong, and seek God to be free of it. These are the ones who will gladly receive what Paul is teaching them and will continue to seek God until they have victory.

That's how I see the meaning in those verses.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me.. .. His word says..that if I delight my self in the lord He will give me the desires of my heart.. what ever I ask the Father in Christs name He will do it..so forth so on.

And if its of God from Him.. ask HIM to confirm this. Like .. once I said.. I know you called me but your word say you will confirm your word by 2 or three. So.. that night at Church for the 1st time and then NEVER happened after. 3 people came to me saying ..you should be in the ministry you should be preaching.. on and on. Granted.. haha I have NEVER had it happen so fast...

But..He will ALWAYS confirm it to you.

Upvote 0