Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm eager to see what God can do in my life, i think i'm not seeing enough from God as i would like, for a lot of people in the bible seeing good stuff was an everyday thing.
I checked that book you mentioned, from what i saw, it is hard.
The book puts hairs on your spiritual chest all right! Reading it is like getting a warrant of fitness (like for your motor car) in your Christian life. It can be scary, but if you use it to run to Christ instead of running away from Him, then the book may be the best one you have ever read.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say to listen to your heart,always listen to your heart,and just really think about what you want to do.
Jer.17:9 this verse is in play ,it is not the only verse but it must be considered.
We are told even as believers to keep the heart,prov4:23

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
It was a pastor who said it. Im non denominational. Like the Holy spirit spoke to me through the pastor in the service.
You may be called to a healing ministry with a focus on the mentally ill, and for the empowerment of wisdom for the hungry Christians. How we feel is not naturally going to align with being spiritual, true?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you didn't hear God's voice, you're being vain.

That's a very harsh judgement; how do you know?
Don't you believe that God speaks to us today, or have you told him that he cannot speak in a certain way?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So,almost three years ago I heard the voice of God saying to me that ive been called to study the mind. Which is psychology. And im not interested in counseling people. Ive been through anxiety and depression,and God is slowing healing me,and I feel peace and joy. I feel free. But its not really my thing. Not that im knocking psychology,but I dont want to sit down in a office,and listen to peoples problems. I want to help people through the things ive been through,but more in like pastoral way or a family member in Christ friend type of way. I want to go into Business,like marketing,or start an online business and reach people that way. I dont want to be a Psychologist. I know I have gifts and talents,but its just not my thing. Im kinda conflicted about this,part of me wants to do this but part of me doesnt. Any advice? Thanks.

In short I would say: Don't study the mind if you don't feel it's right for you. If it was God's Spirit talking to you God will be back calling you again to study the mind, He will lead you to it. Don't just follow a word from a pastor, it may or may not be from God.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was a pastor who said it. Im non denominational. Like the Holy spirit spoke to me through the pastor in the service.
Prophetic words are not there to give you direction but to confirm direction you believe God is already giving you.

In that sense, it may not have been a correct prophetic word.

Or, to 'study the mind' does not mean psychology.

Or it may just be something to help enhance what it is you really do want to do. But all this money to study something you don't like... I've never heard of God giving someone a vocation they hated.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So,almost three years ago I heard the voice of God saying to me that ive been called to study the mind. Which is psychology. And im not interested in counseling people. Ive been through anxiety and depression,and God is slowing healing me,and I feel peace and joy. I feel free. But its not really my thing. Not that im knocking psychology,but I dont want to sit down in a office,and listen to peoples problems. I want to help people through the things ive been through,but more in like pastoral way or a family member in Christ friend type of way. I want to go into Business,like marketing,or start an online business and reach people that way. I dont want to be a Psychologist. I know I have gifts and talents,but its just not my thing. Im kinda conflicted about this,part of me wants to do this but part of me doesnt. Any advice? Thanks.

There is a field called Neuropsychology...

Neuropsychology - Wikipedia

There is also Neurology and Neurosurgery. I thought about a residency in Neurology after medical school.

Finally there are other fields like Marketing.

I've always found complexity theory very appealing on an intellectual level.

So I think the first thing for you to determine is if you are being called to study the structures and functions of the mind itself or their outworkings as manifested in human behavior.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
People study psychology and then go on to work in insurance assessments... it is not straight forwards. Better to study anything while you mind is young than to waste talent. Look at market research and mass psychology, to find a new church service format to appeal to the major groups of the unchurched. People who do not like the mass or Hillsong...

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say to listen to your heart,always listen to your heart,and just really think about what you want to do.

Jeremiah 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things,
And desperately wicked;
Who can know it?

We can't trust our own hearts, but we can trust the Holy Spirit. He is who we need to listen to, not our own hearts which lie continually.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My advice is to seek the Lord and ask Him to confirm this to you. The word promises that if we ask in the name of Jesus, we will receive:

James 1:5

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you think about it, we are all called to a vocation we do not want. Taking the bullet for someone else. Going without so others can have. Loosing friends and family from upholding the truth. Looking ridiculous from witnessing to the spiritually blind in hopes they would see. If we seek this and like minded endeavors as our career, and take any job to facilitate it, God will provide all we ever need. Matthew 6:24-34.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Mother Teresa of Calcutta, did she like her calling?

On the same token my head pastor was told about how great missions in India were, went on one there, but found it was really not for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I say this only to urge you to consider what I am going to write very carefully. I have been a Christian Minister and Author for 24 years, also non-denominational, and I have worked with people closely on the counseling/psychology front.

The field of psychology could use more true Christians who will stick to their faith and beliefs, incorporating both of them into their help of people. I personally know a psychologist who the APA (American Psychiatric Association) has forced to either compromise their beliefs or leave the association. We need an alternative form of mental and emotional health care for Christian, as the current structure per the APA does not meet their needs based on the Christian Belief System and Christian Worldview.

There is a civil (court) and psychological form of Christian persecution going on in the United States, this too I have witnessed first hand. Christians forced in court to attend therapy because of their religious beliefs. Then once in therapy with these non-Christian psychologists or counselors, they are urged that normalcy means abandoning their Christian ideas (in part or as a whole), many are also unnecessarily medicated. I have talked to so many people who at one time could feel God’s presence in their life, could hear that small still voice, but then they began medications that blocked all of that out completely and left them feeling dead inside – not hot or cold, not happy or sad, just nothing. These people need the help of TRUE Christian people who love God and follow His Principles.

The idea that you do not feel that this line of work (service) is for you does not surprise me, this is extremely common with a true calling from God. Almost every person I have every intimately talked with who experienced a real calling from God did not like the idea at all until after they submitted to God’s Will and undertook the calling, myself included. I am happy to say that once they obeyed God and did what He was calling them to do God opened their hearts to the task and they not only did not mind doing it, they love doing it. Most cannot conceive of doing anything else once in service in the field they were called to by God.

If you would ever like to discuss this matter privately just send me a private message.

I offer this prayer for you.

Father God, it is in Jesus’ name I call upon you in accordance with your Will.

I ask that you please bring a confirmation of your Will on this matter to settle the issue once and for all in the mind of my fellow Believer.

Open the heart, mind, and spirit to your Will and Purpose that You might be glorified.

We pray this in agreement, in Jesus’ name,

Amen and Amen

Why can’t you be a Psychology Pastor or a Pastoral Psychology? In the years to come with what the American Church is going to face we are going to need a great deal of pastors who are also Christian Psychologist and many Christian Psychologist who are part of the church’s pastoral staff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you certain that God spoke to you? And are you certain that your conclusion about it is correct? Studying the mind does NOT equal a career in psychology. I was interested in how the mind works over the years, and even studied some psychology, but never was a psychologist or counsellor. My studies only helped myself, and possibly some others through discussions over the years. I rely on the Bible, not on modern psychology, although I can see how understanding how the mind works is helpful in life. Psychology, like any other science, can help our understanding, but it is fallible and sometimes incorrect.

Many people lack understanding of how to live life to the fullest because of ignorance. Not to demean anyone, just that in my experience and observation, a good and proper education is helpful to success and happiness in life, including relationships. Of course, we need knowledge of the Bible as our source of authority to check everything else against. If any idea goes against Biblical teaching, then such an idea is to be rejected.

The famous philosopher Aristotle once said, "Know thyself." There is truth in this statement, if we recognize that we must know ourselves in relation to God. It is important for us to know ourselves regarding: who we are in Christ, what are our weaknesses, how to trust God, what our psychological boundaries should be, what are mentalities to avoid (such as the "victim" mentality), etc. Some of this we don't get from a cursory reading of the Bible (in my experience and observation). Education is an ongoing process, and doesn't end until the grave.
TD:)

That's the second best answer so far ;)

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

What do you mean "you heard the voice of God telling you were called to study the mind"?

How did this "voice" come to you?

[edit] sorry I see you answere that in an earlier post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
59 Bible verses about Guidance, Receiving God's

Also take a look at some of the books available on Guidance:

Three I can think of are

OS Guinness's book The Call
Dallas Willard :Hearing God (or sometimes titled In Search of Guidance)
Garry Freisen: Decision Making and the Will of God.

There are probably others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is the sinner's heart. The truly converted Christian has a new heart to follow Christ as his or her greatest desire. That verse does not apply to this case.

Christians are both sinner and saint, though their prime identity is saint, not sinner. There is still a need to ask God to search our hearts as Christians, not everyone is fully converted.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do not believe Biblical Christianity and Psychology are compatible.

Check out these articles here:

Psychology vs. Christianity - Andrew Wommack Ministries
Why Psychology cannot be Christian (Part 1) | Truth Watchers

Also check out this video here, too.

Much secular psychology is not compatible with Christian faith. However there is more to psychology than Freud, whose main interest was human motivations. The church lost sight of the depth of the soul however, through incursions of greek philosophy. But there was Christian psychology in the past, and there should be Christian psychology today.

Upvote 0