Minnesota
✟13,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is good to test what has been said to you by asking the Lord, "Is this from you?" I had an elder of my church criticise me once after a service, and I walked home in a depressed state. Then I stopped and asked, "Lord, was that criticism from You?" Immediately He said to my heart, "Nope!" That voice was as clear as crystal to me. The depression immediately lifted and I went the rest of my way home rejoicing!

I will pray about it,because it could be for someone else and not me. The Lord will answer me.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It was a pastor who said it. Im non denominational. Like the Holy spirit spoke to me through the pastor in the service.
Did he specifically mention postgraduate studies, or an actual field of work?

A rumor I've heard is that a Psychology degree can be useful for law enforcement. There are people who run small businesses with a psychology background as well. A little psychology is important for marketing. For pastoring, it seems useful as well.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was a pastor who said it. Im non denominational. Like the Holy spirit spoke to me through the pastor in the service.
God has your phone number...many single pastors have women come up to them and say the Lord told me I am going to be your wife...God speaks to both side in something like this. These pastors did not end up marrying the gals. If you read the book of acts Peter was sent to cornelius and they both has visions pointing them to each other. Same with Philip God sent him to the Ethiopian who was reading Isaiah 53 right in time for his to explain the gospel to Him. Many pastors think they have the gift of imparting or speaking things into your life. This is what he thought he heard and he does not have authority over you to make choices for you. If it is a word from the LORD he will confirm it to you.

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It sounds to me that it is the pastor's desire for you and not God's. I would be very cautious about that. The Word says that in the mouths of two or three witnesses let every word be established. Your heart's desire is one strong witness, and it that does not witness to what the pastor has said, then there has to be an amber light, holding you back from obeying the voice of the pastor until you get your three witnesses in line. Circumstances and opportunities are other witnesses. If you follow your heart's desire (and not the pastor's), and doors open to you for you to do what you really want to do for your vocation, then that is the second witness. You then might have close trusted Christian friends who may also witness, supporting your heart and the circumstances. Those three witnesses will then show you that the pastor's words were not the voice of God to you at all!

I couldn't agree more. In addition, you mentioned that you, too, have suffered. Well, if you are God's true child, He will want you to use your suffering in a way that could help others...and that just so happens to be what you said that you want to do. You know that this heart of yours is a part of your R12-2 experience, right? So if you have transformed thinking, it is your transformed, new thinking that you ought to follow....no doubt about it.

Great job and thanks for sharing with us!

We believe in you.

• Agree
Reactions: john6574
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So,almost three years ago I heard the voice of God saying to me that ive been called to study the mind. Which is psychology. And im not interested in counseling people. Ive been through anxiety and depression,and God is slowing healing me,and I feel peace and joy. I feel free. But its not really my thing. Not that im knocking psychology,but I dont want to sit down in a office,and listen to peoples problems. I want to help people through the things ive been through,but more in like pastoral way or a family member in Christ friend type of way. I want to go into Business,like marketing,or start an online business and reach people that way. I dont want to be a Psychologist. I know I have gifts and talents,but its just not my thing. Im kinda conflicted about this,part of me wants to do this but part of me doesnt. Any advice? Thanks.
does a call to study the mind demand sitting down in an office structure and listening to people's problems? Perhaps you don't give God enough credit to how far he can see ahead and how little you can. He knows your thoughts, your ambitions, your joys and fears and he responds to you through these things not in spite of them. I would suggest to listen to him and not start saying I have a better plan.

Upvote 0

godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
So,almost three years ago I heard the voice of God saying to me that ive been called to study the mind. Which is psychology. And im not interested in counseling people. Ive been through anxiety and depression,and God is slowing healing me,and I feel peace and joy. I feel free. But its not really my thing. Not that im knocking psychology,but I dont want to sit down in a office,and listen to peoples problems. I want to help people through the things ive been through,but more in like pastoral way or a family member in Christ friend type of way. I want to go into Business,like marketing,or start an online business and reach people that way. I dont want to be a Psychologist. I know I have gifts and talents,but its just not my thing. Im kinda conflicted about this,part of me wants to do this but part of me doesnt. Any advice? Thanks.
God has not promised to speak to us by voices in our minds. He speaks to us by Scripture.

God has given you the freedom to choose your career/vocation. As long as it doesn't violate His commandments, you have the freedom to do it. Whether you choose a career for more money, convenience, or pleasure, there is no wrong answer assuming your career doesn't break any of God's commands.

If you don't want to be a psychologist, don't be one. God won't be angry. Choose the job you want to work, for whatever reason, not the job you 'feel called to', and not the job anyone else tells you to do, whether it's your pastor or anyone else. Take their advice, sure, but you have the freedom to make your choices in this matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Studying psychology won’t mean that you will be obligated to sit in an office listening to people’s problems.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,019.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you're absolutely certain that it was God who was calling you, then it means that he wants you to study Psychology.
It doesn't necessarily mean he is calling you to work as a counsellor.
That might be one area you could go into once you have finished your studies - but the course itself might throw up other options. I would think also that psychology might help you a lot with pastoral work - maybe you could be a chaplain in a home or Mental health unit. Maybe you will find that part of what you do will involve online counselling. Or, again, maybe your course will provide, or lead to, other options.

IF it really was God who was calling, he knows you, what you want to do for him and the gifts he has given you. But maybe getting a qualification is a first step towards that. Maybe you will meet people/tutors while you are doing the course who will give you ideas or open other doors - or maybe the course will confirm to you, one way or another, the direction you should be going.
I know several people who have gone to university and changed courses part way through. Sometimes they have studied other related subjects and then switched to make that their main subject, or sometimes they have done something different altogether.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benama

Oct 13, 2018
rizal
✟8,939.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe that our Father's ways are always the best. You best listen to what He says.

How did He speak to you in the first place? You have to be careful that it isn't our enemy speaking to you, and you assuming that it's God.

Anyways, why don't you fuse business and marketing together with psychology and counselling? You can collaborate with online psychologists. Etc. Plus, starting a business can always be a "side hustle".

Also, you can do pastoral care and counselling, cause you say that you would want to do it more in a pastoral kind of way.

Counselling doesn't have to be in an office where you sit down and listen to people's problems all day long. You can go out to coffee shops or to parks etc. It doesn't have to be in a confined place.

Hope my answer helped.

:handfist:

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think you misunderstood what the Pastor was implying.

My guess is that he thinks you need to study Psychology so you can better understand your own problems and learn how to deal with them. I don't think he was saying you need to take a career in Psychology at all.

Now some people who have turned to self help books and Psychology sometimes go on to use their knowledge they have learned to help other people but in essence I think the Pastor is saying Know Yourself and Fix Yourself. Under God's guidance of course. I hope he did include that last statement.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,514.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Do what YOU want to do. Dont say God has called you to do something you dont want to do.

God never makes mistakes or lies. If your future is in a different field then God will guide you there.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God called you into psychology...I didn't hear you say He said "My child I want you to sit down and listen to people's problems"

That was YOUR take...always start with the premise...God knows best.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If this were me and I'd have to start all over again, I'd go visit a psychologist. At least one that had knowledge about aptitude tests. Find out what you're good at doing and see what your real God given talents are and how they translate into the numerous vocations these tests reveal.

I knew someone who felt the trades is where God was guiding him. Every apprenticeship he got ended in failure because he had two left hands.

Find out what you're good a doing and see if there's some kind of work/business that interests you.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes. Unless God grabs your face physically and talks to you out loud, do not go and do something that you don't want to do. And if he DOES grab you physically and talks to you out loud, and tells you to do something that you don't want to do, challenge him as to WHY, demand that he perform a miracle to prove that he's really GOD talking to you...and then still do not go do something you don't want to do.

God gave you life and free will. The things towards which your free will is bent here: Business, marketing - it's not evil, there's nothing wrong with it. Therefore, feel no guilt whatever and go do it. That's what free will means: the ability to make your own choices. Use it, and don't beat yourself up about "God" calling you to be a psychologist. Study the mind - to be a better marketer (that's all psychology). Study the mind - to be a better boss (business involves managing people and clients).

But don't give up what you want to do and go do what you don't want to do, because "God" ambiguously "told you" something in a Church service. If God tells you to do something out loud with a miracle, revisit the question.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God only speaks through his word. Voices in head = not good.

Upvote 0

Man on Fire

Jan 6, 2016
Durham, NC
✟19,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Before Psychology, Priests were the Psychologists. There is a lot of interesting things going on in the field right now, and an important calling for someone who is very centered on God. Check out Jordan Peterson.

The following are some things God shepherded me post on /r/jordanpeterson: |

Christian Mysticism - Circumcision of the Heart : JordanPeterson

Christian Mysticism - What does it mean to be The Man? : JordanPeterson

Christian Mysticism - Logos and Eros. : JordanPeterson

I have been following /r/Jordanpeterson for several months. I have noticed a variety of men there who are interested in Christianity, but mainstream Christianity seems watered down and not quite giving them what they are looking for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are lots of ways to study the mind. For example a big field right now is AI Artificial Intelligence. They want to use a computer to extend our mind the way we use machinery to work for us so we can do more work then what we can do without a machine. Also neurology is a big field in Medicine. This is based more on Philosophy and just how the Frontal Cortex evolved. I like to study up on consciousness, unconsciousness and the collective conscious or collective unconscious. So I do agree that a lot of psychology is outdated and not really very accurate compared to what other areas of Science are beginning to discover right now about the brain and our mind. I am sure that everything goes back to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden. What the Mormons call to "Act" or be "Acted upon" This is what makes us human and different from the animals is the ability we have to choose between right and wrong, good and evil. Even our court system mandates that we make the right choices in life or suffer the consequences.

There is talk using the word "singularity" when they want man and machine or man and computer to become one. But I think the right word would be synergy. So our natural mind can work with machines. Esp if we are making artificial limbs. Even nano science is working on building an artificial nerve cell. Well, it would actually build itself, but there is a lot of research going into that right now.

There was a man on TV had Parkinson disease and he was having problems playing his violin. They put a probe in the brain made my Medtronic's the same people that make pace makers for the heart. They actually had to put two probes in but now his is a concert Violin player again. It is an unusual operation because he was awake trying to play the Violin while the doctor was placing the probe. So when he quit shaking and could play music the doctor knew they had they right spot in the brain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Do NOT make life decisions based upon a voice in your head. Use the wisdom, truth, spiritual principles and commands given to you in Scripture to decide what you should do. If there isn't some specific instance in Scripture that speaks directly to your own, there are always at least guiding principles from the Bible that can be applied. And you can be sure that when you are looking to Scripture for guidance, you are not going to encounter a demonic counterfeit in it, or mistake your own self-talk for God's voice.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Psalms 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

Unless God has made very clear provision for you to embark upon the study of psychology, unless He has opened doors very plainly along that line, I don't think you need worry that you are disobeying God by not studying psychology. Do what you want but leave God free to open and close doors as He will without you resisting Him.

Upvote 0