✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1 John 4:16

16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

1 John chapter 4 has most of the 'God is Love' scriptures I think. John 3 as well.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your Christian right?

Yes - sorry I didn't take the question seriously at first.

You might think of a camp fire, and love as the energy coming off that fire. If the fire never goes out, is the energy measurable? If you move away from the fire, there is less of it - less warmth and heat and light. But no matter how far you go, it's still there.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Here's a thought experiment:

If Gods love is unmeasurable, then he'd have to be bigger than himself.

Or it's just a matter of perspective. Unmeasurable to whom? To us?

Isn't that a bit like saying if the stars are uncountable, then the universe cannot contain them all. Then again, from God's perspective, we are told not only does He know the count, but even has named them all.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - sorry I didn't take the question seriously at first.

You might think of a camp fire, and love as the energy coming off that fire. If the fire never goes out, is the energy measurable? If you move away from the fire, there is less of it - less warmth and heat and light. But no matter how far you go, it's still there.

Nice analogy

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Who's doing the measuring? If Gods love is immeasurable, then he'd have to be bigger than the person doing the measuring.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Maybe you're taking this phrase, whatever the source is, a bit too literally. I don't think describing God's love as 'unmeasurable' is a statement of how physically big it is, or how much volume it has, or some other measurement of that sort. It means something along the lines of it being difficult to put limits on how, in terms of our capacity to understand it, as Paul puts it, high wide and deep is the love God feels and demonstrates towards us.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who's doing the measuring? If Gods love is immeasurable, then he'd have to be bigger than the person doing the measuring.

How Big is God?

]
Job 38

1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:

2 “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
3 Dress for action like a man;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.

4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
5 Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?

Go read Job Chapters 38 & 39 - How "Big" God is.

Revelation

8“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

1st Corinthians 13

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no account of wrongs. 6 Love takes no pleasure in evil, but rejoices in the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

1 John 4

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

God IS love. I

Reactions: Dan Brooks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well God is Spirit, so your tool for measuring the size is an odd one, what ever device you use.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Proverbs 15:21

Foolishness brings joy to those with no sense; a sensible person stays on the right path.

2nd Timothy 2

16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness ...

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey..I saw you were in that other forum just befor I got booted for being too liberal. I am too scary for most.
Are you referring to Worthy Christian Forum? Or the other one? I was booted out of the other one and had no interest in returning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you referring to Worthy Christian Forum? Or the other one? I was booted out of the other one and had no interest in returning.
The other one. I stir up too many uneasy feelings. At Worthy, all my comments are monitored which takes a couple days to get a comment posted. I was going to reply to a post of yours, but saw no activity for months.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The other one. I stir up too many uneasy feelings. At Worthy, all my comments are monitored which takes a couple days to get a comment posted. I was going to reply to a post of yours, but saw no activity for months.
Yeah,
I was there temporarily while I was banned from this site. When they let me back on, I did not bother with Worthy because I found the conversation unedifying.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah,
I was there temporarily while I was banned from this site. When they let me back on, I did not bother with Worthy because I found the conversation unedifying.
I was not considered Worthy.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Why? I don't see the logic in that statement. Can you provide a reason why it must be the case?

Upvote 0