May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
During a Nazarene revival about 30 yrs ago a preacher was having an altar call after preaching on Revelation. His question was if Jesus came back tonight would we be ready. For the 1st time in my life I asked God that question for what seemed to be a long time.....and His answer was short, and powerful and it physically drove me to my knees....He said "Trust Me".....not in words that I could hear with my ears but words I heard with my soul and even now the tears course down my face as I tell you about my experience. God speaks to us today....He spoke to me and my life was changed. I am sorry you don't believe that can happen because you are missing the most incredible experience this side of heaven...

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
During a Nazarene revival about 30 yrs ago a preacher was having an altar call after preaching on Revelation. His question was if Jesus came back tonight would we be ready. For the 1st time in my life I asked God that question for what seemed to be a long time.....and His answer was short, and powerful and it physically drove me to my knees....He said "Trust Me".....not in words that I could hear with my ears but words I heard with my soul and even now the tears course down my face as I tell you about my experience. God speaks to us today....He spoke to me and my life was changed. I am sorry you don't believe that can happen because you are missing the most incredible experience this side of heaven...

Powerful message and thank you for sharing that. :thumbsup: In the same way I think God speaks to a lot of us...by moving our souls, as you just described.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between the Spirit making the word effectual and it being an emotional experience and God speaking to people in dreams and visions. I know the experience of the Spirit speaking to my heart by His word.

BTW, I too used to study the second war for independence. I wouldn't call myself a buff but I am pretty familiar with that bloody war in which men were willing to die for what they believed.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a difference between the Spirit making the word effectual and it being an emotional experience and God speaking to people in dreams and visions. I know the experience of the Spirit speaking to my heart by His word.
If you believe what I related was simply an "emotional experience" then you have never encountered the power of the Living God because He will leave no doubt in your mind who you have been in the presence of.....

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So we are, and have been for 2000 years, been without true prophets? Can Christ be the one now talking and not the Father?

Created this...let's see where it goes! http://www.christianforums.com/threads/has-god-ever-literally-audibly-spoken-to-you.7944807/
Yes we have been without the office of prophets since the canon of Scripture is closed. We no longer have men who can foretell the future or predict things that come to pass. God used the Old Testament prophets to point us to Christ and they spoke of Him.

(Joh 5:39) Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The Lord Jesus tells us that the Spirit will speak of Him.

(Joh 16:13) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

(Joh 16:14) He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

When the Lord was walking on the road to Emmaus He opened up the word and taught them the things concerning Him.

(Luk 24:27) And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

There are no extra-biblical messages for us today. God speaks by the Spirit through the word.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you believe what I related was simply an "emotional experience" then you have never encountered the power of the Living God because He will leave no doubt in your mind who you have been in the presence of.....
I know the power of God and have encountered it more than once. What I do not believe is that dreams and visions and voices are from God.

(2Co 11:13) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

(2Co 11:14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

(2Co 11:15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes we have been without the office of prophets since the canon of Scripture is closed. We no longer have men who can foretell the future or predict things that come to pass. God used the Old Testament prophets to point us to Christ and they spoke of Him.

(Joh 5:39) Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The Lord Jesus tells us that the Spirit will speak of Him.

(Joh 16:13) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

(Joh 16:14) He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

When the Lord was walking on the road to Emmaus He opened up the word and taught them the things concerning Him.

(Luk 24:27) And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

There are no extra-biblical messages for us today. God speaks by the Spirit through the word.
Seriously?
Act_2:17 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on everyone. Your sons and your daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I know the power of God and have encountered it more than once. What I do not believe is that dreams and visions and voices are from God.

(2Co 11:13) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

(2Co 11:14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

(2Co 11:15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
LOL.....

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Seriously?
Act_2:17 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on everyone. Your sons and your daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams.
And they did up until the canon of Scripture was complete. There was never any promise that those things would continue.
Moreover according to Peter the manifestation of Pentecost was the fulfillment of that prophecy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
(Joh 16:7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

(Joh 16:8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

(Joh 16:9) Of sin, because they believe not on me;

(Joh 16:10) Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

(Joh 16:11) Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Here we have the Lord Jesus Christ telling us exactly what the Spirit will do when He speaks by the word.

In verse 9 He says that He will convince the world of sin because they do not believe on Christ. That is exactly what He does when He makes the preached word effectual to the heart of a chosen sinner. He reveals his sin and convinces him that God is right and just to condemn him. He puts the sinner in the dust at the feet of Christ begging mercy.

In verse 10 He tells us that the Spirit convinces of righteousness because He will be risen and that it is a sign that God requires no more. The Spirit will convince the sinner that in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ God has righteously put away the sin of all His elect by the sacrifice of Christ and that the sinner is now the righteousness of God in Him.

In verse 11 the Spirit convinces that judgment is past and the sinner is set free.

That is the work of the Spirit through the preaching of the word. He speaks to the heart not the head and it isn't an audible voice or a vision or dream it is the preaching of the Gospel being manifested to be the power of God unto salvation.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Nor was there denial that it would not.....

Chapter/verse for that....
(Act 2:14) But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

(Act 2:15) For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

(Act 2:16) But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

(Act 2:17) And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

(Act 2:18) And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

(Act 2:19) And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

(Act 2:20) The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

(Act 2:21) And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
(Joh 16:7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

(Joh 16:8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

(Joh 16:9) Of sin, because they believe not on me;

(Joh 16:10) Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

(Joh 16:11) Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Here we have the Lord Jesus Christ telling us exactly what the Spirit will do when He speaks by the word.

In verse 9 He says that He will convince the world of sin because they do not believe on Christ. That is exactly what He does when He makes the preached word effectual to the heart of a chosen sinner. He reveals his sin and convinces him that God is right and just to condemn him. He puts the sinner in the dust at the feet of Christ begging mercy.

In verse 10 He tells us that the Spirit convinces of righteousness because He will be risen and that it is a sign that God requires no more. The Spirit will convince the sinner that in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ God has righteously put away the sin of all His elect by the sacrifice of Christ and that the sinner is now the righteousness of God in Him.

In verse 11 the Spirit convinces that judgment is past and the sinner is set free.

That is the work of the Spirit through the preaching of the word. He speaks to the heart not the head and it isn't an audible voice or a vision or dream it is the preaching of the Gospel being manifested to be the power of God unto salvation.

And this has what to do with Pentecost as you claim above:
And they did up until the canon of Scripture was complete. There was never any promise that those things would continue.
Moreover according to Peter the manifestation of Pentecost was the fulfillment of that prophecy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Open your Bible and read the context of the passage.
I am sorry I thought you were responding to my other post where I quoted Acts 2.

The passages from John 16 were intended to show the work of the Spirit and how He speaks to the hearts of men. Tey had nothing to do with Pentecost.

Upvote 0