GOD gives us free will to choose

NewCreation17

Jan 27, 2015
✟11,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We all have a choice with our free will, GODs ways or the devils ways, light or darkness.

If anyone chooses light, and wants to be like GOD and puts thier faith and trust in Jesus Christ for eternal life and repents of all their sins, GOD will wash them in the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed for our sins and fill them with the Holy Spirit adopting them as His child & by the Spirit of GOD within them give power to put to death all sin working in the flesh.

Jesus said some people would rather keep the pleasures of sin rather than have a relationship with GOD and be like GOD. Some do not come to Jesus Christ becuase they do not want to let go of what is giving them pleasure but leading them to hell.

Or they fulfill the scriptures of 2 Timothy 4:3 who after their own lusts heap to themselves teachers having itching ears for someone to tell them its normal to continue in sin and its "ok" because we are all in this sinful flesh.

But in Christ the flesh is to be put to death by the Holy Spirit, (Romans 8:13), And they that are Christs have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts (Galations 5:24). And whoseoever abideth in Him sinneth not (1 John 3:16). And IF any man sin not WHEN we sin (1 John 2:1) we can come to Jesus Christ who is our advocate to the Father. Jesus told the women in adultery whom He had forgive to go and sin no more, not to keep being bound by it and falling in it over and over. (John 8:11).

But all of this I speak in love. Of course the flesh does not like it, its always against the things of GOD, but the choice and the straight and narrow way is there before us in Chist Jesus, and GOD will help us and He is merciful and loves us! You can enjoy a life living holy! In fact, there is no sin or worldly pleasure than can compare to actually having a real relationship with Jesus
1f642.png
:).

John 3:19
"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For everyone that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved."

2 Thessalonians 2:12-14
"That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ."

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We all have a choice with our free will, GODs ways or the devils ways, light or darkness.

If anyone chooses light, and wants to be like GOD and puts thier faith and trust in Jesus Christ for eternal life and repents of all their sins, GOD will wash them in the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed for our sins and fill them with the Holy Spirit adopting them as His child & by the Spirit of GOD within them give power to put to death all sin working in the flesh.

Jesus said some people would rather keep the pleasures of sin rather than have a relationship with GOD and be like GOD. Some do not come to Jesus Christ becuase they do not want to let go of what is giving them pleasure but leading them to hell.

Or they fulfill the scriptures of 2 Timothy 4:3 who after their own lusts heap to themselves teachers having itching ears for someone to tell them its normal to continue in sin and its "ok" because we are all in this sinful flesh.

But in Christ the flesh is to be put to death by the Holy Spirit, (Romans 8:13), And they that are Christs have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts (Galations 5:24). And whoseoever abideth in Him sinneth not (1 John 3:16). And IF any man sin not WHEN we sin (1 John 2:1) we can come to Jesus Christ who is our advocate to the Father. Jesus told the women in adultery whom He had forgive to go and sin no more, not to keep being bound by it and falling in it over and over. (John 8:11).

But all of this I speak in love. Of course the flesh does not like it, its always against the things of GOD, but the choice and the straight and narrow way is there before us in Chist Jesus, and GOD will help us and He is merciful and loves us! You can enjoy a life living holy! In fact, there is no sin or worldly pleasure than can compare to actually having a real relationship with Jesus
1f642.png
:).

John 3:19
"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For everyone that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved."

2 Thessalonians 2:12-14
"That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Of course this means that man saves himself by his free will choice. There can be no other conclusion.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If we have the ability to freely choose between good and evil, then we don't need Jesus, we can simply choose to make ourselves perfect. We are governed by our nature though, which means we cannot choose to freely avoid sin, and we need to be reborn in the Spirit (John 3) and receive a new heart (Ezekiel 36, Jeremiah 31); your screen name even confirms this. God is the one who determines our steps (Proverbs 16:9, 20:24) and establishes His purpose for us (Romans 9).

OP, why did the Creator and Omniscient God put the Tree of Knowledge in the garden?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Isn't it amazing how man sets up the weakest part of his nature as the thing that controls his eternal destiny. How often does our "free will" get us into trouble?

Mine does everyday!

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
How "free" is mans "free-will"?

God Bless

Till all are one.

It is not free at all unless we count choice.

All imperfect entities have limited will to choose how to respond to their environment around them. Freedom of choice. No imperfect entity has free will; they are bounded by laws and terms (like physics.)

All holy entities have 100% free will - but what makes them holy is they give 100% of that free will to the Most High God, and follow Him.

So, nothing actually has free will like humans think of it - the ability to manipulate the world around you according to your own desire, by your own doing. There is only the freedom of choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to consider the various positions in this question for a position paper I'm working on in a seminary class. I lean towards the view that we generally have relative freedom that is limited by a variety of factors, such a sin, our physical limitations, circumstances, etc., and even sometime divine intervention. We bear responsibility for the choices we make, even those the choices are made within the context of limited freedom. I think this falls somewhere between the libertarian free will of Pelagianism and some Arminians, and the denial of free will of the most extreme Calvinists.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
If we have the ability to freely choose between good and evil, then we don't need Jesus, we can simply choose to make ourselves perfect. We are governed by our nature though, which means we cannot choose to freely avoid sin, and we need to be reborn in the Spirit (John 3) and receive a new heart (Ezekiel 36, Jeremiah 31); your screen name even confirms this. God is the one who determines our steps (Proverbs 16:9, 20:24) and establishes His purpose for us (Romans 9).

OP, why did the Creator and Omniscient God put the Tree of Knowledge in the garden?

We cannot choose to avoid sin?
Therefore we are not accountable for our sin.
What is the reason for our faith? Could it be to wonder through this World like a train without a track being cast down into Satans will.
God never fails, He cannot purpose evil for the elect.
If anyone believes in santifaction, they choose to put on the New and cast off the Old.

Romans 3: 20. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22. Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God

Faith in and of it's self is free will.
If we do not receive Christ by Faith that He is ,we can never know Him.

God has given His Grace for our path to eternal life, but God does not force us to accept it.

1 Corinthians 10: 13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 14. Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

If we cannot avoid sin , then why would God provide a means of escape?
Every day we live we make free will choices not to sin ,simply because God has provided those choices.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We cannot choose to avoid sin?
Therefore we are not accountable for our sin.
What is the reason for our faith? Could it be to wonder through this World like a train without a track being cast down into Satans will.
God never fails, He cannot purpose evil for the elect.
If anyone believes in santifaction, they choose to put on the New and cast off the Old.

Romans 3: 20. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22. Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God

Faith in and of it's self is free will.
If we do not receive Christ by Faith that He is ,we can never know Him.

God has given His Grace for our path to eternal life, but God does not force us to accept it.

1 Corinthians 10: 13. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 14. Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

If we cannot avoid sin , then why would God provide a means of escape?
Every day we live we make free will choices not to sin ,simply because God has provided those choices.

Faith is being a slave to righteousness (Romans 6). Slaves aren't free. And you're either a slave to sin or a slave to God. There's freedom in faith, far more than being in sin, but to be a slave to righteousness literally means that you are under bondage of your new nature, rather than your old sinful nature. You will simply only do what it is in your nature to do.

For anyone who truly believes you have "free will" I direct you to Proverbs 16:9 and 20:24.

"If we cannot avoid sin , then why would God provide a means of escape?"

I absolutely love this question: Because we cannot avoid it!!

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Not to debate ,in this Fourm but I disagree.
Freedom is just that.
Freedom to choose this day whom I will serve.
God's means of escape may be taken or not.
David was chosen by God ,yet David chose to sin.
But he may as well turned from the window and could have.

Romans 7: 22. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25. I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not to debate ,in this Fourm but I disagree.
Freedom is just that.
Freedom to choose this day whom I will serve.
God's means of escape may be taken or not.
David was chosen by God ,yet David chose to sin.
But he may as well turned from the window and could have.

Romans 7: 22. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25. I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

"Freedom to choose this day whom I will serve."

Please don't misquote Joshua 24; the context given by Joshua is choosing between one evil over another.

All those chosen by God have sinned; it's just the difference of if that sin is forgiven or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
"Freedom to choose this day whom I will serve."

Please don't misquote Joshua 24; the context given by Joshua is choosing between one evil over another.

All those chosen by God have sinned; it's just the difference of if that sin is forgiven or not.

I was not quoting Joshua,I did not realise there was a similarity.

Daniel 12: 1. And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

As a Freewill Baptist for 40 years it is hard for me to understand irrisistable salvation.

Revelation 3: 5. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. 6. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

So far the question posed here has never been answered by Calvinist or Others who teach O.S.A.S
The concept of eternal security, supports Calvinism ,and those who teach it are teaching Calvinism whether they know or not.

Your name is placed in the Book of Life upon salvation,there is no other way.
If some are going to avoid having there names blotted out,then there will be others who fall short and are blotted out.

Free Will can send a person to Hell.
Free Will can give eternal life

God Bless I do not want to labor this and disrupt this thread.
Keep in mind I still am A Baptist by Denomination.

Word of Faith is a movement with in denomations ,and was founded by Kenyon who was a Freewill Baptist Pastor.
Much like Calvinism among the Baptist not all agree with the theology.

Today Word of Faith is associated with Charismatic, and I find Calvinism being linked with reformed theology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it amazing how man sets up the weakest part of his nature as the thing that controls his eternal destiny. How often does our "free will" get us into trouble?

All the time, and with out fail.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is not free at all unless we count choice.

All imperfect entities have limited will to choose how to respond to their environment around them. Freedom of choice. No imperfect entity has free will; they are bounded by laws and terms (like physics.)

All holy entities have 100% free will - but what makes them holy is they give 100% of that free will to the Most High God, and follow Him.

So, nothing actually has free will like humans think of it - the ability to manipulate the world around you according to your own desire, by your own doing. There is only the freedom of choice.

God made man in His Image.
Having free will is what sets man apart ,from all other creatures on Earth.
Man chose to sin and turn his back on God.
God in His love chose to provide a way ,from the beginning of time for man to be restored into unity with Him.
Christ atonement provided a way for man to walk in the sinless perfection with him.
Yet there is a clause in the covenant, it is the who so ever in John 3:16.
The who so ever has two elements...
1 anyone that will.
2 some will not.

Think of someone that announces a give away to anyone that wants a free trip to Disney.
No one is excluded from the offer, yet some people do not want to go.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
God made man in His Image.
Having free will is what sets man apart ,from all other creatures on Earth.
Man chose to sin and turn his back on God.
God in His love chose to provide a way ,from the beginning of time for man to be restored into unity with Him.
Christ atonement provided a way for man to walk in the sinless perfection with him.
Yet there is a clause in the covenant, it is the who so ever in John 3:16.
The who so ever has two elements...
1 anyone that will.
2 some will not.

Think of someone that announces a give away to anyone that wants a free trip to Disney.
No one is excluded from the offer, yet some people do not want to go.

No creature created has free will. That would be asinine to give an imperfect, corruptible created being the free will to live to his heart's content. Everyone has limited will, and the only free will is the freedom to choose how to react to stimuli and experience in life.

God makes it very clear we, at best, have limited will. There is already a plan for us; the trajectory of our lives have been laid out in terms of eventualities. The things that makes "life," as it were, unique is the role of consciousness and conscience when making these choices - the ability to judge (or, knowledge) between dualities (e.g. good and evil.) Jonah, for example, was a prophet separate from his own will. Indeed, he tried to renege on what had already been laid out for him - an attempt to bend the world around him according to his will (no matter how crude.) In the end, he went "1000 miles" in various directions making a trip that would have taken only 5 km (if Jonah yielded to God in the first place.) In other words, Jonah had the freedom to choose how to react to his surrounding, but Jonah had no "free" will in and of itself. He was going to deliver a prophecy.

Even Christ, as a human, understood this when He asked for His will to be done, and then reconciled within Himself that He would do God's will instead. Only holy entities have 100% free will/rein; however, they abdicate 100% of that will to the Most High God.

Upvote 0