Portland
✟7,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey guys, so I was recently asked about this quote, and it made me question it too. Is this a valid saying in the Bible and God's word? I know that we can't compare the "levels" of our battles and that it isn't wise to. I know that people are more than capable of overcoming any obstacle under God's strength, but then again it feels "insensitive" to say this quote to someone who experiences something like sexual abuse as a child. Some help with this? I am a Protestant and this question gave me a brain-fart.

• Useful
Reactions: messianist

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys, so I was recently asked about this quote, and it made me question it too. Is this a valid saying in the Bible and God's word? I know that we can't compare the "levels" of our battles and that it isn't wise to. I know that people are more than capable of overcoming any obstacle under God's strength, but then again it feels "insensitive" to say this quote to someone who experiences something like sexual abuse as a child. Some help with this? I am a Protestant and this question gave me a brain-fart.
I feel that phrase is always going to lead to unhealthy comparisons. I suggest focusing on scriptures such as

1 Corinthians 10:12-13
12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure that this quote is biblically correct, or how this quote glorifies God?

(Ecclesiastes chapter 9 KJV)
For all this I considered in my heart even to declare all this, that the righteous, and the wise, and their works, are in the hand of God: no man knoweth either love or hatred by all that is before them.

2 All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.

3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

4 For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

8 Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.

9 Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.

10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

12 For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

13 This wisdom have I seen also under the sun, and it seemed great unto me:

14 There was a little city, and few men within it; and there came a great king against it, and besieged it, and built great bulwarks against it:

15 Now there was found in it a poor wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city; yet no man remembered that same poor man.

16 Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.

17 The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools.

18 Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

God's word doesn't say that. So no, it is not valid. God in fact does quite the opposite sometimes, and his reasons are pretty obvious: All glory belongs to God. And we need to grow, to come to depend on him.

Include with this saying the notion that God never gives us battles that are too big for us, and that THE reason he takes us through struggles is to prepare us to help others going through similar struggles.

The ideas, such as that God will not burden us beyond what we are able to bear, or that his plans for us are always good, are interpreted and expressed by many in such a way as to bring others to conclude such promises are false. I'm not trying to criticize Christianity with this, but to encourage further study and walking with God. The way some talk, as if they have the structure of Christian living all figured out, God's part and our part, etc, tells me they have their rose-colored glasses on when they read the Bible.

So far, in my experience, (and I can't help but feel like it is, in part, because I prayed for consistent obedience and to know him better, God has taken me through more trouble than I would wish on my worst enemy, and it is not over yet. And through this I have learned (ha! I wish!) that HE is my life, and everything else is worthless; maybe it is more accurate to say that anything in this life that is worthy and desirable is because of and through knowing HIM. It has nothing to do with "he does his part and I do mine".

Also, I want to emphasize that the notion that he only puts us through what he does because of his desire to oppose evil with good, as though duality with evil is consistent with fact, is only perhaps poetic —it is false. He doesn't win the big war by winning small battles. If that was his method, then his apparent losses show his weakness, not his strength. Instead, such losses (assessed as losses by that measure) are for the purpose of our growth, fitting us for his primary purpose for us, to become his people, his place of residence, his body, his bride, his sons —in other words, for Heaven, to his glory. We are not complete beings until we see him as he is, finally completely one with him.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are things which happen to us as we go through life, which we would not choose at all and they have consequences which we cannot escape. We are not to be strong, or better than others in our own eyes. God uses our lives to teach us these things. He does not mean it for evil, but for our good. After my second stroke almost three years ago, my doctor informed me that on average 50% of stroke survivers will die within 5 years of a stroke.

As you can imagine I was not exactly overjoyed to be told this fact. The strke has left me with much degraded mobility, all sorts of joint and muscule pains, headaches and lack of physical strength and endurance. This has made me very much more serious about seeking to follow God and to want to live for Him day to day. I am a lot more serious about Him that I was when I had not lost my strength as a result of the stroke.

(Micah 6:8) “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I too have never heard of this. It does sound right yet.. I believe it's wrong. Is it not written " because the battle isn't yours. It belongs to God" " the battle is the lord's". A song comes to mind which I believe is true "if you wanna be great in Gods kingdom learn to be the servant of all".

Just here I am lord.. use me.

Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In Hebrews the Apostle Paul was irritated with the ones that were not maturing in the faith. HEB 5:14 but solid food is for the mature for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. We are all tested on our faith...Satan is always waiting to destroy each and every one of God's children.
Be sure and put God's armor on every day. The days are getting darker and more wicked don't find yourself wanting. Read and study God's word so you can be ready for all attacks.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceeds from the mouth of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.

I think that this has something to do with humbling ourselves before God and suffering in order to be in submission to His word and His will. I also don't think that we are to be uncaring about others of God's children who are having to suffer in order to serve Him in their own lives.

This saying is not as far as I know in the bible and therefore is not likely to be scripture, but this does not mean that it is an unworthy saying. However we are to live by scripture, or every word which comes forth from God and we are to know the difference between that which comes from God and that which just comes forth from man.

It is the word of God which has the power to save and the word of man which does notand we are not to be fooled by not knowing which is which!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
God uses who ever he will. In judges, the bible, God chose Ehud. He was left handed. His right hand in my belief was withered. God will use weak person to carry out Gods will. Moses had a disability. Aaron spoke for moses.
Corinthians chapter 1:27. But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; In Acts chapter 8:40. But philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea
God uses whom ever he will. God can use handicapped Christian people. God used Deborah of judges chapter 4 and 5.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums