Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
feels a bit middle of the ground, probably not enough to make the evangelicals like it, and a little too much for the atheists or non believers to like.

Plus they use the usual reason for someone being a atheist, even if ti was at least creative in it's version.
I'm not sure if that's the actual usual reason or the one that is commonly trotted out by religious groups as the reason.

I've yet to ever meet one of those atheists.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
well I mean reason portrayed.
Ah.

I was under the impression that you were under the impression people are atheists are because of some tragedy that stuck them, etc.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah.

I was under the impression that you were under the impression people are atheists are because of some tragedy that stuck them, etc.

well yeah you guys are but I'm being polite j/k :> I will give them props for the reason being...unique.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on what you are trying/expecting to get out of it.

Watch the 1st episode and I'm sure you'll get an idea of what it will be like.

I'm assuming it's on Hulu so I'll probably check it out at some point.

Upvote 0

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟268,230.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if that's the actual usual reason or the one that is commonly trotted out by religious groups as the reason.

I've yet to ever meet one of those atheists.

The way it was explained to me on this forum was, either nothing bad has happened in your life so you haven't had to turn to God yet. Or something bad happened in your life and now you blame God for not stopping the bad thing from happening.
I wish I could find the actual quote, I had it in my sig for a number of years.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Atheist male blogger, preacher father, spiritual female journalist... sounded like it might be an interesting TV show.

To my surprise, the words exchanged between the atheist and believers (in regards to God) were quite blunt; a lot more "realistic" and "harsh" than I figured a network show would be airing.

Interesting roads ahead!

About half-way through the show, during and emotional dialogue with the spiritual female journalist, the atheist tells her he doesn't believe in God because...
he merely finds all the evidence presented lacking.

Hahahahaha, just kidding...

His mom was killed in a car accident coming home from the hospital, just after her cancer went into remission.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a rough experience for anyone...but not really a reason to not believe in god. It's like someone believing in god because their mom got into a car accident....and the medical tests that she went through at the hospital revealed that she had cancer, in time to treat it and she survived.

Things happen...calling it the will of god seems egotistical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Didn't know mainstream media is still so backwards regarding atheism. For some reason I think 80% of the population are atheists.. even though the percentage is probably much, much smaller.. lol.

The percentage of people who are true atheists is still probably smaller...but the number of people who reject at least some portion of their religious upbringing from their parents probably is around the 80% number that you mentioned. I have no data to back that up...but just a hunch based on interactions I've had with people.

Most people in the US alive today were raised in households that involved some sort of Christianity, however, not all of them believe everything their particular denomination taught them.

For instance, I know many people who were raised Christian, still self-identify as such, but don't accept the OT as literal, and seem to pick & choose which parts of the religion they want to embrace based on how it lines up with their other moral preferences.

For instance, my cousin is a big-time, super far-left, liberal, bi-sexual feminist, but also identifies as a Christian. In order to keep both her religious identification and her personal feelings in tact and cohesive, she has to write off about 50% of her religion's text as non-literal allegory that was "written for a different time". I always tell her "if you have to try to change someone else's belief system to match your own beliefs, you should just be an atheist like me and live by your own moral code"...but that always starts and argument :) ...but I digress.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious about the religious reaction to the new episode where we find out the main chars sister is a lesbian, and the preacher father was okay with it and lost congregates over it.
What's to be curious about? In the first episode, I figured it would go anti-biblical fashion, because Hollywood is all about indoctrination. I hoped it wouldn't because it was a good show otherwise, but figured it would. It didn't take long.

I said immediately when they had to show the two sitting in bed, "Watch, Pastor Dad will approve this not merely support and love his daughter where she is." Sure enough...that happened.

Upvote 0

OnlookerDelay

Mar 8, 2019
Rock Hill, SC
✟8,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A little late to the party here, but I watched the first episode of God Friended Me after seeing numerous commercials of it during the early part of the NFL season. My first ill-formed impression was... oh boy, this is going to be a spoof series that makes fun and takes pot shots at Christians.

I wasn't going to give it a chance, but for some reason, I decided to watch the pilot. Much to my surprise, it wasn't making fun of Christians. It was more a case of putting ordinary people, including: an athiest, an agnostic seeker, a Hindu into situations where they were compelled to follow a courses of action that they couldn't understand. They are placed in situations and are given leads that to me, as a Christian, are so beyond any possible set of coincidences, or any master computer programmer artificial intelligence implementation through Facebook (as the central characters in the story tend to believe), show that the things happening are divine intervention.

As the episodes wear on, the characters embrace their roles in carrying out the plans of "The God Account", referring to the Facebook account that "God" has which is putting the central characters in contact with people who need outside help with day to day problems. You can also see the atheist begin to relax his militant opposition to Christianity. I think it's brilliantly written, produced, filmed, and scored, although the logistics of how these characters are able to do all that "The God Account" wants them to do, yet still hold down full time jobs. A little dramatic license taken there, but I give them a pass on it.

I must confess, I've shed a tear or two in at least half a dozen episodes. It's got an uplifting quality about it that is hard to describe. It's not purely biblically or theologically based, but it also doesn't disrespect Christianity. There are occasional prayers offered, but as I would expect from secular, network programming, the prayers are not offered in Jesus' name.

My wife and I now make this appointment TV to watch. It's not an evangelistic show, but I would be willing to believe that it has raised some people's curiosity about God, and led them to Christ. I think it would at least turn an intellectually honest person who was indifferent about God, into a seeker. My mother is 85 years old, and she's been a Christian since she was 13. I put her onto this show and she binge watched all 15 episodes in three days. I watched 6 of them with her. She's shed a tear in all of them and I think it's a beautiful thing to see because they are tears of joy... what more can you ask out of a secular TV show that deals with, among other things, Faith in God?:clap:

Upvote 0

OnlookerDelay

Mar 8, 2019
Rock Hill, SC
✟8,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In episode 16, Rakesh thinks he's getting closer to the source of "The God Account". He's helping his boss with his "Predictive Analytics" program, thinking that The God Account is being driven by predictive analytics. His theory falls apart at the end of episode, or at least his ability to support his theory. The elusive quest of what's behind the God Account is the main fuel that keeps this show going, so I don't think they're ever going to answer it... definitively.

I can't image a program and a computer network that could pull off what happens in this series. As a believer, I see God's hand at work in the events that happen to achieve the ends. The non-believer, OTOH, will be able to use predictive analytics at work in Social Media and computer networking to explain what happens. Whatever the case, it makes for entertaining and uplifting viewing, no matter which way you approach it.

Upvote 0