Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
OK, not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes.

I was driving in town near my house. I saw a sign on a Church. Not saying what kind or denomination.... that's not important right now. Probably has something to do with it but that's not my point here.

I was flabbergasted by the words that I read on a sign at the front of a church that is seen by all driving by... and associated with God.

The sign read:

"God Evolves.. so should we"

Does this not seem apostate to anyone else? Seriously... Is our God not the same today, yesterday and forever?

Is this how far we have been moved from the solid facts of our creator?

Anyone else feel the way I do?

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Without context it's impossible to even know what is being said.

Without context, yes, I don't agree with the statement on theological grounds; as it seems to deny the immutability of God. What I don't know is if that is the intent. Is the intent to deny God's immutability?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God apparently can change his mind. In Gen18, God planned to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah for their sinfulness. (Whatever this grave sin was as is a matter of debate.) But on Abraham's pleading, God agrees to spare the cities if 10 righteous people can be found. Only Lot and his family qualified, and they were warned to get out. But based on this passage, God's will seems to be malleable.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well for churches (well actually their congregation0 who are and some have been for some time. That has spiritualized, methopricalized, etc.. the Bible.

Accepting from pagan science globe earth, evolution, abortion (women's right). Teaching that are easing up on certain sins, performance/work based gospels, teaching prosperity, so on and so on.

This would seem a logical step along the path to falling away i am still looking for the outer space alien being accepted.

billy graham is already addressing questions.

Aliens Archives

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
OK, not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes.

I was driving in town near my house. I saw a sign on a Church. Not saying what kind or denomination.... that's not important right now. Probably has something to do with it but that's not my point here.

I was flabbergasted by the words that I read on a sign at the front of a church that is seen by all driving by... and associated with God.

The sign read:

"God Evolves.. so should we"

Does this not seem apostate to anyone else? Seriously... Is our God not the same today, yesterday and forever?

Is this how far we have been moved from the solid facts of our creator?

Anyone else feel the way I do?

The Most High God does not evolve, and He doesn't evolve through us. He is an incomprehensibly infinite generating set, so He comes with everything. "Infinities" are generated by Him; He generates, He does not transform.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
God apparently can change his mind. In Gen18, God planned to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah for their sinfulness. (Whatever this grave sin was as is a matter of debate.) But on Abraham's pleading, God agrees to spare the cities if 10 righteous people can be found. Only Lot and his family qualified, and they were warned to get out. But based on this passage, God's will seems to be malleable.

He still destroyed Sodom and Gommorah. The pleading was futility on Abraham's part; the Most High God already set them for destruction.

Everything He does, did or will do has already happened for Him, so it is our poor perception that cant understand the difference between His choices, and circumstances already set in motion from the foundation of Creation itself.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
He still destroyed Sodom and Gommorah. The pleading was futility on Abraham's part; the Most High God already set them for destruction.

Everything He does, did or will do has already happened for Him, so it is our poor perception that cant understand the difference between His choices, and circumstances already set in motion from the foundation of Creation itself.

We also have the example in Jonah, in fact the story here seems to be almost the opposite of the story of Sodom and Gommorah. Where Abraham pleaded that God spare the cities, Jonah really wanted God to destroy Nineveh because of his own hatred and biases against them.

A theme often found throughout the Old Testament is that judgment isn't set in stone, there is frequently condition. Hence the Prophets regularly spend their time calling people to repentance, away from indulgence, away from oppressing the weak, away from following after false gods, etc; and to repent, return, and to live justly, e.g. Micah 6:8

And so we end up getting paradoxical statements throughout the biblical witness. We can see this paradox even in the same passage, in 1 Samuel 15 God says He regrets (or "repents") that He made Saul king of Israel (verse 11), and then later we read also in verse 29, "[God] will not lie or have regret, for he is not a man, that he should have regret." Likewise we see God's immutability, "I, the LORD, do not change." (Malachi 3:6) and then, also, we have again here instances of God at least seemingly regretting or seemingly changing His mind.

I suspect the problem here isn't in the texts themselves, this seeming paradox doesn't seem to be of any concern to the writers and redactors of the texts who are perfectly comfortable having both statements concur with one another. So the problem is likely in how we are trying to "understand" God from a philosophical perspective. That is, this is not really a problem for the biblical writers, but it is a problem for philosophers who want to keep everything neat, tidy, and reasonable.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
We also have the example in Jonah, in fact the story here seems to be almost the opposite of the story of Sodom and Gommorah. Where Abraham pleaded that God spare the cities, Jonah really wanted God to destroy Nineveh because of his own hatred and biases against them.

A theme often found throughout the Old Testament is that judgment isn't set in stone, there is frequently condition. Hence the Prophets regularly spend their time calling people to repentance, away from indulgence, away from oppressing the weak, away from following after false gods, etc; and to repent, return, and to live justly, e.g. Micah 6:8

And so we end up getting paradoxical statements throughout the biblical witness. We can see this paradox even in the same passage, in 1 Samuel 15 God says He regrets (or "repents") that He made Saul king of Israel (verse 11), and then later we read also in verse 29, "[God] will not lie or have regret, for he is not a man, that he should have regret." Likewise we see God's immutability, "I, the LORD, do not change." (Malachi 3:6) and then, also, we have again here instances of God at least seemingly regretting or seemingly changing His mind.

I suspect the problem here isn't in the texts themselves, this seeming paradox doesn't seem to be of any concern to the writers and redactors of the texts who are perfectly comfortable having both statements concur with one another. So the problem is likely in how we are trying to "understand" God from a philosophical perspective. That is, this is not really a problem for the biblical writers, but it is a problem for philosophers who want to keep everything neat, tidy, and reasonable.

-CryptoLutheran

It's our problem. We are painfully ignorant, arrogant and generally degenerate in spirit.

Most of us don't understand time beyond linear progression, so a lot of what we experience with the Most High God that doesn't work with our "logic" is turned into a paradox for the sake of our ego and abysmal intellect we think is actual intelligence.

The Most High God doesn't change His mind; we use our words, mind and eyes to build a case that deceives us into believing we change the will of the Most High God. If we can convince ourselves that we did something, it becomes comfortable for our psyche.

But in reality, things like Nineveh and Johan were lessons for JONAH, not Nineveh. The Most High God knew everything that would happen; even Jonah makes mention He knew the Most High God would be merciful even if he went to Nineveh. This is all His "game"; we do not have free will, but occasionally He will let us go our way because it is His will.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0