Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Part 1: God doesn’t need your help (to save you).​

John 11:38-44 CSB
38 Then Jesus, deeply moved again, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. 39 “Remove the stone,” Jesus said.

Martha, the dead man’s sister, told him, “Lord, there is already a stench because he has been dead four days.”

40 Jesus said to her, “Didn’t I tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God? ”

41 So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you heard me. 42 I know that you always hear me, but because of the crowd standing here I said this, so that they may believe you sent me.” 43 After he said this, he shouted with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out! ” 44 The dead man came out bound hand and foot with linen strips and with his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unwrap him and let him go.”

God required no help from Lazarus to raise Lazarus from the dead.

Before Christ raised Lazarus, it is taught to us that Lazarus was the friend ( believer in Jesus who Jesus we see, loved)..

John 11:3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In short, physical death and spiritual death are two very different concepts. I always find using the lazerus passage to support limited atonement to be a strange twisting of scripture.
Those dead to sin, (the saved) can still sin. So why would I think those dead in sin cannot respond to God?
And why do you cut off the beginning and end of Romans 9? Perhaps because they provide clues to the overall context, which is not individual salvation?
Then you have people chosen for certain jobs, not irresistibly, mind you, as some kind of proof that God chooses individual people for salvation? Does not compute.
God blinded Paul. He didn't force him to convert, however.
So I'm not sure what that is supposed to tell us.

Those dead to sin can sin again.

As they are not saved.

Saved is those who show the Lords rising from the death always..

Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

2 Corinthians 4:10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In short, physical death and spiritual death are two very different concepts. I always find using the lazerus passage to support limited atonement to be a strange twisting of scripture.
1. that was not an exegesis.
2. the issue is still monergism vs synergysm and has nothing to do with "limited atonement". It is about Irresistible Grace vs semi-Pelagianism ... can fallen men choose GOD without the Father first empowering them to do so.

("Limited Atonement" concerns who Jesus died for and whether his blood ACTUALLY saved anyone or merely purchased a CHANCE FOR SALVATION for everyone without exception ... I have said NOTHING about the Atonement - Limited or Universal).

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That gives you both away as needing Gods help, and how the preaching of sharing these words with you is helping you ( or not)

Ephesians 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

• filthiness (G151) αἰσχρότης aischrótēs, ahee-skhrot'-ace; from G150; shamefulness, i.e. obscenity:
  • foolish talking (G3473) μωρολογία mōrología, mo-rol-og-ee'-ah; from a compound of G3474 and G3004; silly talk, i.e. buffoonery
  • jesting (G2160) εὐτραπελία eutrapelía, yoo-trap-el-ee'-ah; from a compound of G2095 and a derivative of the base of G5157 (meaning well-turned, i.e. ready at repartee, jocose); witticism, i.e. (in a vulgar sense) ribaldry

For personal edification, am I being corrected for admiring a clever response (of which I am guilty) or for some unrecognized "obscenity", "buffoonery" or vulgar "ribaldry"?

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before Christ raised Lazarus, it is taught to us that Lazarus was the friend ( believer in Jesus who Jesus we see, loved)..

John 11:3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
Acknowledged.
However the point still stands that Jesus did not inquire of Lazarus whether or not Lazarus wanted to rise from the dead ... Jesus commanded Lazarus to rise from physical death to physical life irrespective of Lazarus' opinions on the matter. So too with Ephesians 2 and Spiritual Death, it does not mention any "stopping to seek permission" by God, rather it says that while we were yet dead, God made us alive. Both stories are about what God chooses to do ... not about God the Potter seeking permission from the clay (as some would have us believe salvation works).

Monergism or synergism ... who chooses whom?
That is the question.
I say that when one party is GOD and the other party is dead, the answer is obvious!

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Part 1: God doesn’t need your help (to save you).​

John 11:38-44 CSB
38 Then Jesus, deeply moved again, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. 39 “Remove the stone,” Jesus said.

Martha, the dead man’s sister, told him, “Lord, there is already a stench because he has been dead four days.”

40 Jesus said to her, “Didn’t I tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God? ”

41 So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you heard me. 42 I know that you always hear me, but because of the crowd standing here I said this, so that they may believe you sent me.” 43 After he said this, he shouted with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out! ” 44 The dead man came out bound hand and foot with linen strips and with his face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unwrap him and let him go.”

God required no help from Lazarus to raise Lazarus from the dead.

Lazarus could not raise himself from the death, but did God know Lazarus would be willing leave Abraham’s bosom to go back to be further persecuted? If Lazarus was not wanting to go back would God have forced Lazarus to go back (heaven is better than anything on earth)? Jesus could have preached a sermon on how much better off is Lazarus now.

Ephesians 2:1-10 CSB
1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins 2 in which you previously lived according to the ways of this world, according to the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit now working in the disobedient. 3 We too all previously lived among them in our fleshly desires, carrying out the inclinations of our flesh and thoughts, and we were by nature children under wrath as the others were also. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of his great love that he had for us, 5 made us alive with Christ even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace! 6 He also raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavens in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might display the immeasurable riches of his grace through his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift —  9 not from works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time for us to do.

God requires no help from US to raise US from being spiritually dead.

No one is saying any differently. If we did do something then we would be worthy of something and we are not worthy of anything good. The unbelieving sinner can “do something selfish (sinful) though which is worthy of nothing. The sinner can for selfish (sinful) reason wimp out, give up and surrender to his hated enemy all the time hating God. The sinner just has to be selfishly willing to accept pure undeserved charity from his hated enemy.

Part 2: God doesn’t need your permission (to save you).

Romans 9:14-24 CSB
14 What should we say then? Is there injustice with God? Absolutely not! 15 For he tells Moses, I will show mercy to whom I will show mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then, it does not depend on human will or effort but on God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture tells Pharaoh, I raised you up for this reason so that I may display my power in you and that my name may be proclaimed in the whole earth. 18 So then, he has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19 You will say to me, therefore, “Why then does he still find fault? For who can resist his will? ” 20 But who are you, a mere man, to talk back to God? Will what is formed say to the one who formed it, “Why did you make me like this? ” 21 Or has the potter no right over the clay, to make from the same lump one piece of pottery for honor and another for dishonor? 22 And what if God, wanting to display his wrath and to make his power known, endured with much patience objects of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And what if he did this to make known the riches of his glory on objects of mercy that he prepared beforehand for glory —  24 on us, the ones he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

The Potter decides without needing to ask permission of the clay.

Romans 9 is often taken out of context to try to proof a point, but you need to consider the whole context:

Romans 9

Paul uses two teaching methods throughout Romans even secular philosophy classes will use Romans as the best example of these methods. Paul does an excellent job of building one premise on the previous premises to develop his final conclusions. Paul uses an ancient form of rhetoric known as diatribe (imaginary debate) asking questions and most of the time giving a strong “By no means” and then goes on to explain “why not”. Paul’s method goes beyond just a general diatribe and follows closely to the diatribes used in the individual laments in the Psalms and throughout the Old Testament, which the Jewish Christians would have known extensively. These “questions or comments” are given by an “imaginary” student making it more a dialog with the readers (students) and not just a “sermon”.

The main topic repeated extensively in Romans is the division in the Christian house churches in Rome between the Jews and Gentile Christians. You can just look up how many times Jews and gentiles are referred to see this as a huge issue.

The main question (a diatribe question) in Romans 9 Paul addresses is God being fair or just Rms. 9: 14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!

This will take some explaining, since just prior in Romans 9, Paul went over some history of God’s dealings with the Israelites that sounds very “unjust” like “loving Jacob and hating Esau” before they were born, but remember in all of Paul’s diatribes he begins before, just after or before and just after with strong support for the wrong answer (this makes it more of a debate and giving the opposition the first shot as done in all diatribes).

Some “Christians” do not seem to understand How Paul uses diatribes and think since he just showed God being “unjust” and saying God is “not unjust” that God has a special God definition of “just”, making God “just” by His standard and appearing totally unjust by human standards. God is not a hypocrite and does not redefine what He told us to be true.

Who in Rome would be having a “problem” with God choosing to work with Isaac and Jacob instead of Ishmael and Esau? Would the Jewish Christian have a problem with this or would it be the Gentile Christians?

If God treaded you as privileged and special would you have a problem or would you have a problem if you were treated seemingly as common and others were treated with honor for no apparent reason?

This is the issue and Paul will explain over the rest of Romans 9-11.

Paul is specific with the issue Rms. 9: 19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?”

The Jews were created in a special honorable position that would bring forth the Messiah and everyone else was common in comparison (the Gentiles).

How do we know Paul is specifically addressing the Jew/Gentile issue? Rms. 9: 30 What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.

Paul is showing from the position of being made “common” vessels by God the Gentiles had an advantage over the Israelites (vessels of honor) that had the Law, since the Law became a stumbling stone to them. They both needed faith to rely on God’s Love to forgive them.

Without going into the details of Romans 9-11 we conclude with this diatribe question: Romans 11: 11 Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. 12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their full inclusion bring!

The common vessels (gentiles) and the vessels of honor (Jews) are equal individually in what is really significant when it comes to salvation, so God is not being unjust or unfair with either group.

If there is still a question about who is being addressed in this section of Rms. 9-11, Paul tells us: Rms. 11: 13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.

Rm 9:22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

This verse is not saying all the “vessels” created for a “common purpose” were created for destruction (they were not made from the start by the Potter “clay pigeons”). Everything that leaves the potter’s shop is of great quality. Those vessels for destruction can come from either the common group or the honor group, but God is being patient with them that will eventually be destroyed. The vessels God does develop great wrath against, will be readied for destruction, but how did they become worthy of destruction since they left the potter’s shop with his mark on them? Any vessel (honorable or common) that becomes damaged is not worthy of the potters signature and He would want it destroyed.

To understand this as Common vessels and special vessels look at the same idea using the same Greek words of Paul in 2 Tim 2: 20. There Paul even points out the common can become the honored vessel.

Just because Paul uses a Potter as being God in his analogy and Jerimiah uses a Potter as being God in his analogy, does not mean the analogies are conveying the exact same analogy. Jerimiah is talking about clay on the potter’s wheel being change while still being malleable clay (which fits the changing of Israel), but Paul is talking about two pots (vessels) so they cannot both be Israel, the clay is the same for both and the clay is not changing the outcome of the pot. The two pots (vessels) are completed and a person is asking “Why did you make me like this”, so it is about “how a person is made (born)” and not a nation.

Since Jerimiah talks only about one pot on the wheel changing and Paul is talking about two kinds of completed pots (vessels), who are the two different pots?

Paul is saying in 2 Tim 2: 21 even after leaving the shop the common vessels can cleanse themselves and thus become instruments for a special purpose. So, who is the common vessel and who is the special vessel in this analogy?

That is a short explanation, since you really need to study all of Romans especially chapters 9, 10 and 11. Also please look at individual laments in the Psalms and diatribes in general, I really cut those short.

The Jews were given a higher position on earth, but with that position came added responsibility which they poorly handled. I do not see them in Rome having any advantage over the gentile Christians, but what do you think?

I will add comments about Paul using Jerimiah’s reference to the Potter, since they are very different. In Jerimiah the pot has not been made and is still clay being molded by the Potter, with Paul the pots are completed and have gone forth.

Jeremiah 1:4-5 CSB
4 The word of the LORD came to me:
5 I chose you before I formed you in the womb;
I set you apart before you were born.
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.

John 15:16 CSB
16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit and that your fruit should remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give you.

Old Testament or New Testament, God chose us not God asked our permission.

We are not all prophets like Jeremiah. We are all born into an environment with certain genes, which God sets forth for our success, but not all succeed completing their earthly objective.

Here you have Jesus talking about choosing the 11 of the 12, but yet Christ also “chose” Judas, so being chosen, does not mean success, since Judas was unsuccessful. There might have been many who would have wanted to Jesus’ disciple but he selects 12.

Acts 9:1-9 CSB
1 Now Saul was still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord. He went to the high priest 2 and requested letters from him to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any men or women who belonged to the Way, he might bring them as prisoners to Jerusalem. 3 As he traveled and was nearing Damascus, a light from heaven suddenly flashed around him. 4 Falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? ”

5 “Who are you, Lord? ” Saul said.

I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting,” he replied. 6 “But get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.

7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the sound but seeing no one. 8 Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing. So they took him by the hand and led him into Damascus. 9 He was unable to see for three days and did not eat or drink.
God did not stop to ask for Saul’s permission.
Right, but after going through the Damascus Road experience could Paul thought about all his dreams he was giving up and said, I got heat stroke, fell off my horse had some nightmare, was blinded look up at the sun and thought I heard something.

• Agree
Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those dead to sin can sin again.

As they are not saved.
What?
The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

This is written to saved individuals. I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. that was not an exegesis.
2. the issue is still monergism vs synergysm and has nothing to do with "limited atonement". It is about Irresistible Grace vs semi-Pelagianism ... can fallen men choose GOD without the Father first empowering them to do so.

("Limited Atonement" concerns who Jesus died for and whether his blood ACTUALLY saved anyone or merely purchased a CHANCE FOR SALVATION for everyone without exception ... I have said NOTHING about the Atonement - Limited or Universal).
You cannot divorce one from the other. One invariably leads to the other.
synergysts don't claim we can come to God without the spirit empowering us. That's a false assumption. Being empowered to do something isn't the same as something being irresistible.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
synergysts don't claim we can come to God without the spirit empowering us. That's a false assumption. Being empowered to do something isn't the same as something being irresistible.
Splitting semantic hairs while I still wait for that exegetical proof of your claims.

God draws = monergism = John 6:44
While you were still dead, God made you alive = monergism = Ephesians 2:5

God waits for men to freely choose to believe = synergism = (no scripture given, just whining about "fair".)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Splitting semantic hairs while I still wait for that exegetical proof of your claims.

God draws = monergism = John 6:44
While you were still dead, God made you alive = monergism = Ephesians 2:5

God waits for men to freely choose to believe = synergism = (no scripture given, just whining about "fair".)
No scripture? Lol, you joke right?
How many do you want?

See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in his ways…then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed…I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live…(Duet 30:15-19).

Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord GOD, and not rather that they should turn from their ways and live?… Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, says the Lord GOD. Turn, then, and live. (Ezek. 18:5,9, 20, 23, 31-32).

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... and how did the OT LAW work out: "These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me." [Isaiah 29:13, Matthew 15:8, Mark 7:6] ... (plus all of Romans 3 since I keep hearing how that is just Israel and not "all men"). :rolleyes:

Romans 3:10-18 (NKJV)
As it is written:
“There is none righteous, no, not one;
There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.
They have all turned aside;
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
“Their
throat is an open tomb;
With their tongues they have practiced deceit”;
“The poison of asps
is under their lips”;
“Whose mouth
is full of cursing and bitterness.”
“Their
feet are swift to shed blood;
Destruction and misery
are in their ways;
And the way of peace they have not known.”
“There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

The whole point was that mankind could not and would not obey God (just like Adam) ... so Jesus came (John 1) and the Father drew (John 6:44) and the Father gave (John 10:29) those "predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will" (Ephesians 1:11) to the Son. You know how the rest of the story goes.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right, but after going through the Damascus Road experience could Paul thought about all his dreams he was giving up and said, I got heat stroke, fell off my horse had some nightmare, was blinded look up at the sun and thought I heard something.
Jonah tried to refuse.
How did that work out for him?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jonah tried to refuse.
How did that work out for him?
The book of Jonah is about God working with Jonah to help Jonah over come his problem (Jonah hated the Ninevites and would do almost anything to have them wiped out, including disobeying God).
Go to the end Chapter 4, God speaks directly to Jonah, but we do not know Jonah's final response: Do we know if Jonah repented of wanting to see the Ninevites destroyed or in spite of what God said still wanted them destroyed, even after God put Jonah through all this? Do you ever see Jonah being happy about Nineveh repenting?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God doesn't need anyone to tell him what He is allowed to require of people in order for Him to decide to save them. If God decides that He will only save those that accept His offer of salvation no one can tell him He can't do that.

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Part 2: God doesn’t need your permission (to save you).
In Acts 2, Peter promises remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (essentially salvation) to those who repent and are baptized. This is not an issue of us giving God permission - its an issue of whether or not we take the action required to receive the promise. The offer is still available and is not reserved for a select few because Acts 17:30 says that God “now commands all men everywhere to repent”.

Acts 2:36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” 38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” 40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. NKJV​

What Jesus says in Mark 16:16 is in agreement to Acts 2:38-39.

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned​

Post 26 provides an excellent commentary on Romans 9.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 2, Peter promises remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (essentially salvation) to those who repent and are baptized. This is not an issue of us giving God permission - its an issue of whether or not we take the action required to receive the promise. The offer is still available and is not reserved for a select few because Acts 17:30 says that God “now commands all men everywhere to repent”.

Acts 2:36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” 38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” 40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. NKJV​

What Jesus says in Mark 16:16 is in agreement to Acts 2:38-39.

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned​

Post 26 provides an excellent commentary on Romans 9.
Does that mean that you disagree (ie. "God DOES require your permission to save you") ... or that you agree (ie. "God DOES NOT require your permission to save you")?

I could not tell from your post.
You seem to want to argue about "Limited Atonement" but are attacking it indirectly rather than coming straight at the subject. (I could be wrong, your central THESIS seems unclear to me.)

So.
  1. Yup, God does command all men to repent (among other things God commands of all men).
  2. Peter does promise the Holy Spirit to those that "repent and are baptized" in Acts 2.
  3. Post 26 did provide an excellent general overview on Romans 9, although that does not change the one small point that I was making from Romans 9. Do you remember what point I actually made from Romans 9? Was my point correct or incorrect?

I have no idea what makes you think that I am either ignorant of scripture or reject what it says.

Does God require permission from people to save them?

I presented my biblical reasons for claiming that God requires no such permission (which is what you demanded of me in another thread.)

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
“God does not require your permission or help to save you” is an odd and vague statement. But it is the kind of statement used to strawman non-Calvinist positions.

Calvinist commonly say that they were Saved because God chose to save them (they call it Monergism).

Non-Calvinist Protestants, like myself, will commonly say that they were Saved because they received the promise (in Acts 2 that requires repentance and baptism).

Some Calvinists will strawman that non-Calvinist position by saying something like you think God saved you because you did something (which they equate to trying to be saved by keeping the Law). Or you think God saved you because you gave him permission or help.

Your not going to find a statement in the NT that sounds anything like the vague “God does not require your permission or help” statement. Its not like a creed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not coincidentally, so does Scripture.

Chose to salvation is through the furnace of affliction, it burns our pride out of the ones who follow that path.

Isaiah 48:10 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

Zephaniah 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent.
10 From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring mine offering.
11 In that day shalt thou not be ashamed for all thy doings, wherein thou hast transgressed against me: for then I will take away out of the midst of thee them that rejoice in thy pride, and thou shalt no more be haughty because of my holy mountain.
12 I will also leave in the midst of thee an afflicted and poor people, and they shall trust in the name of the Lord.
13 The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid.

Upvote 0