Discussion God does no new things, Bible only, no extra-biblical revelation...

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Among us Christians are some who say they are Pentecostal, have gone so far as to pray in tongues, but then retracted. There is another established order they gravitate to. The cessationist fellows omit prophecy and knowledge... Parts of scripture, saying it applies no more. They then say the Bible is a complete book with nothing missing, as in Timothy, equipping the saints for all good works. I add here that this means they think Romans one describes all homosexuals and so they discipline their children to revert to heterosexuality. The assumption is that all homosexuals choose that inclination. I think this is an error.

With the same assumption, "God gave us a complete book in which He does one new thing after another, leading an account of God we can rely on to see Him always doing those same things over and over. Anything new can't be God. Because the Bible is complete, anything new is not God but a counterfeit. And there are no new revelations. All the truth we need is in the Bible, anything new is not from God. The revelation of the Father's heart of love is not true. Your commission prophecies are not true. The Spirit telling us new things about scripture is counterfeit."

These Pentecostals attack other mainstream Pentecostals on matters of revelation of truth, of God of mission... It seemed to start with a dislike of tithing. And doubts about prophecy...

They have aspects of cessationism and yet consider themselves Pentecostal.

I think the pattern is God always does new things, reveals Himself to His sons and daughters, and gives commissions and truths to us that line up with His word in the Bible. And that He can still do new things and give new revelations, in keeping with Bible love...

What do other fellows think?

Last edited:

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the pattern is God always does new things, reveals Himself to His sons and daughters, and gives commissions and truths to us that line up with His word in the Bible. And that He can still do new things and give new revelations, in keeping with Bible love...
Yes and Amen. "For this is the Will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Is this about homosexuality? Or god doing something new?

God does new things.

Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness. Isaiah 43:19

But homosexual intercourse is still an abomination.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Is this about homosexuality? Or god doing something new?

God does new things.

Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness. Isaiah 43:19

But homosexual intercourse is still an abomination.
Thanks, yes it is about God doing new things. And as an aside I mentioned the idea that the cessationists may sometimes teach reversion therapy. And I think homosexuality is another sinners place in life from which they can seek God and aim wholeheartedly to become like Him. With reverence and love.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can you have a discussion when you lump "Pentecostal". And then.. no word to back up anything.

And then you toss in so much speculation as in "I add here that this means they think" :) how in the world would you know what they think? You would have to go to each Church talk with each member and Pastor.

Just search on God does no new thing. Very hard press to find that. Oh you find GOD doing a new think. So I have no clue who your talking about :)

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
There is a group, and organization of like minded critics of two major churches where I live and they also criticize revival phenomena. One of them has been quite the critic and seemed to even hurt his wife as she lamented in a song on youtube. He dedicated a website against two churches head pastors. They claim to be Pentecostals, but have not continued into more use of the spiritual gifts, instead saying they doubt there really are any who can interpret tongues. From online conversation with them. They publish their material online. From talking with them, they don't believe in God doing anything not done before in the Bible. They seem to have come to prefer the cessationist outlook as I find in a local theological college.

While their views matter, I want to focus on the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0