God Created a Hell. Is It Horribly Unfair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟33,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently read complaints about hell in another thread. Creating hell was evil and so on ... according to the author of such claims.
That's why I responded here, it would have been off topic there.

My answer to this question, no it's not horribly unfair.
You need the seperation aspect.
When you allow criminals to enter heaven, they transfrom heaven into an eternal hell for all their victims.
I prefer a heaven heaven. Not a hell heaven.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently read complaints about hell in another thread. Creating hell was evil and so on ... according to the author of such claims.

When you allow criminals to enter heaven, they transfrom heaven into an eternal hell for all their victims.

I don’t see how it can be unfair if Christ draws all men to Himself. Their condemnation is the result of their own refusal to cooperate.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly, whether or not it's "horribly unfair" or not doesn't seem to be a logical deal-breaker, only an emotional one.

If God is God, and is therefore supreme, and if he also did everything the Bible says he did, which includes creating Heaven and Hell, why does perceived unfairness matter at all? If you're against him, you go to Hell, and if you repent and believe and follow him, you go to Heaven. There is no third option because he has not allowed for one. If you refuse to repent and be his follower, all you're doing is securing yourself a place in Hell. He cannot be overthrown, and there is no indication that people going to Hell in protest will change his mind. Any objection to his decision in this matter is 100% unproductive for you. Now, I believe God's character is far better than those who would accuse him of being a horrible gangster in the sky. But if God is a gangster in the sky, I want to be one of his made men. And to get there, he's made his will known for us - believe in Jesus' death and resurrection and Lordship, follow him, do good to other people, leave revenge to God's judgement, love God and worship him only, keep your passions and desires in check, tell other people about him. That doesn't seem like an immoral life that a horrible gangster in the sky would call us to, but it's what God has called us to.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, whether or not it's "horribly unfair" or not doesn't seem to be a logical deal-breaker, only an emotional one.

If God is God, and is therefore supreme, and if he also did everything the Bible says he did, which includes creating Heaven and Hell, why does perceived unfairness matter at all? If you're against him, you go to Hell, and if you repent and believe and follow him, you go to Heaven. There is no third option because he has not allowed for one. If you refuse to repent and be his follower, all you're doing is securing yourself a place in Hell. He cannot be overthrown, and there is no indication that people going to Hell in protest will change his mind. Any objection to his decision in this matter is 100% unproductive for you. Now, I believe God's character is far better than those who would accuse him of being a horrible gangster in the sky. But if God is a gangster in the sky, I want to be one of his made men. And to get there, he's made his will known for us - believe in Jesus' death and resurrection and Lordship, follow him, do good to other people, leave revenge to God's judgement, love God and worship him only, keep your passions and desires in check, tell other people about him. That doesn't seem like an immoral life that a horrible gangster in the sky would call us to, but it's what God has called us to.

Amen, who can think of a better way of doing things than God?

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Bad people could just stop existing, too.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist
Do you think that would be a better idea than God’s idea? I’m mean He did create everything ;)
Hmm ... torture me in everlasting pain with no hope of redemption or put me to sleep to never to dream or awake... Yeah, #2 is definitely better. (It should be noted that some Christians hold position #2 and there is a way to read the NT that supports this idea.)

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist

See the problem is that eternal hell for the non-believer (and I reject the term 'criminal' ... disbelief is not criminal) has no possibility of relief, no chance of redemption.

Let's say your god is real and that heaven and hell are real. Surely the non-believer upon death is transformed to a believer. Christians routinely say that "I am a sinner; I am just forgiven". Well, let God forgive me. If I have to be taught to be worthy, let him teach me. If I have to suffer for a long time, let there be an end to it.

If upon death I were to believe, why couldn't I be "a sinner and just forgiven", too.

A god would have lots of options. An eternal hell isn't a good one.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist
God doesnt choose hell for us. No.

It is us that choose hell by our way of life.

So you believe in salvation by works? Beliefs cannot be chosen. Therefore, I don't choose hell. I don't believe there is a hell to either choose or reject.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,191.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So you believe in salvation by works? Beliefs cannot be chosen. Therefore, I don't choose hell. I don't believe there is a hell to either choose or reject.

If we sin and sin and dont repent then where do you think we are heading?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that would be a better idea than God’s idea? I’m mean He did create everything ;)
If you believe it's good on faith, I'll respect that and leave it alone. But the OP gave a bad reason, so I showed why that reason is bad.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmm ... torture me in everlasting pain with no hope of redemption or put me to sleep to never to dream or awake... Yeah, #2 is definitely better. (It should be noted that some Christians hold position #2 and there is a way to read the NT that supports this idea.)

How can you say that your idea is superior to God’s idea if you don’t have all the variables and He does?

And I’m not sure how someone can correctly translate this to exclude eternal torment.

“Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭25:41-46‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you believe it's good on faith, I'll respect that and leave it alone. But the OP gave a bad reason, so I showed why that reason is bad.

Ok I see your point now. Sorry I misunderstood your position.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private

You are going to need to elaborate here. No human is perfect. All are sinners, according to God. Hence, that would make all humans 'criminals.'

It would seem that God makes exception(s) for some; based upon faith, and/or works, and/or both, and/or grace, and/or all three, and/or other...

A logical followup question becomes...

Once these sinners enter Heaven, are they no longer allowed to sin?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
And I’m not sure how someone can correctly translate this to exclude eternal torment.
Focusing on the bolded parts, it says that the fire is eternal, not the burning sensation. And being kept out of eternal bliss would be an eternal punishment whether you cease to exist or not.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Once these sinners enter Heaven, are they no longer allowed to sin?
Let's say good folk somehow can have free will and never sin again in Heaven. God could still let in the bad folk, strip them of their free will, and no one would wreck the party like the OP suggests. No one deserves to be there anyways, according to Christianity, so it wouldn't be unjust.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟909,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In order to solve the hell problem God had to first die for our sins. Whether you believe they were for his elect that he chose or whether you believe it was for all mankind doesnt change a thing. God paid the price that we deserved so that we could be with him and serve him for forever.

Heaven will be eternal bliss and joy and eternal servitude for Gods sheep while Gods goats will experience everlasting contempt.

But have you ever thought that heaven would be hell to the wicked? Think about it. They hate God and WANT to be separated from God. They love their sin so God keeps them permanently in their sin. Their hearts are so wicked and turned away from Gof that they woukdnt WANT to serve God even if he physically came down from heaven and said "I am God worship and serve me".

There's no injustice no matter what you believe. Because ALL of us deserve to be punished for sinning against God. God didnt have to provide a way out but in his loving kindness and mercy, he did.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.