God can take more than eye for eye - Matthew 25:41-43, 46.

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such as the execution of Robert Francoise Damiens on 28 March 1757 for his *mere* attempt to assassinate Louis XV - As the King is presumed to be more important than his subject.

Such as the Israeli Defense Force in the West Bank and Gaza - Who would usually inflict disproportionate reprisals against Palestinian targets for their attack on Israeli civilians - Since the Jews are considered to be more important than the Arab League by the majority of Western countries.

Such as Christ's Judgement (or condemnation) of false prophets and faux Christians in Matthew 7:15-23; 25:41-46 - So for a mere drink of water you could easily *forfeit* your Eternal place in God's kingdom according to V42 - This is disproportionate reprisal since God is believed to be superior over his creation:-

Matthew 25

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Also, Jesus could easily have you condemned to burn in the lake of fire if you have refused to welcome him as a stranger in accordance with Matthew 25:43 - This is disproportionate reprisal since God is believed to be superior over his creation.

Therefore, the Doctrine of disproportionate reprisals is a universal rule, which would always entail an asymmetrical power relationship between groups, or between individuals - So that God reserves every right to impose the Supreme penalty of spiritual or physical death (or both) against anybody who has committed relatively *minor* offenses?

God has the right to impose the death penalty over offenses which one might consider to be 'trivial or unimportant' - Since, God created Mankind and has every right to dispose the creation as he sees fit.

Discuss.

Note: Eye for eye, or measure for measure (Exodus 21:24) is only applicable to settle scores between groups or between individuals who are more or less considered to be equal - Since God is clearly superior over his creation then it's obvious that this rule does not apply in the case of people committing crimes against God - Moreover, we are constantly reminded that the Wages of Sin is Death (Romans 6:23) and the person who sins will die (Ezekiel 18:4) so that Christianity does not recognize any difference at all between a thief, rapist, or murderer; nor any difference between adultery, false testimony, and murder - Since, they are all punishable by spiritual or physical death (or both).

th.jpg

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello black.hawk, and welcome to CF. :)

In answer to your question, God certainly has every "right".

Just as Christ had the legal "right" to stone to death the woman caught in adultery.

Or maybe, God is love, and He actually loves mankind so much that, even while they were dead in sin and opposed to Him, He would condescend to the Incarnation, with Christ being born with human flesh, to live in lowly estate, and die a torturous death, all for the sake of sinners (who yes, He has every "right" to torture or obliterate instead) ... but rather He is not willing even that any should perish, but desires for all to be saved and healed of the terrible effects of their sin, and restored in glory to right relationship with Him.

But yes, He has the "right". Being as He is the creator of the universe, doesn't He have the right to do anything He wants? But that doesn't mean those rights define His character, thankfully.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But who knows for certain what the eventual outcome will be for every 'soul' that ever lived?

Revelation 7:9 speaks of a multitude that nobody could number.
Revelation 7:14 refers to Christians who are saved since they are washed in the blood of the Lamb - Although too many to be counted, we know that they are outnumbered by those who are unsaved, which is according to the Fewness of the Saved doctrine in Christianity (Matthew 7:13-14) - Those who are unsaved are also too numerous to be counted, but we know that they will outnumber the countless "few" who are saved.

What is certain is that none of those who are saved are completely innocent (Romans 3:10; Ecclesiastes 7:20).

Equally certain is that most of those who are unsaved are unlikely to be murderers, but their transgressions would be far less serious than murder - As you don't have to be a murderer at all to merit the death penalty - Since, the Bible does not draw any distinction at all between a thief, rapist or murderer; Nor any distinction between adultery, false testimony, and murder in terms of their respective penalties - Sin is sin, and the most common type of punishment seems to be death, according to Romans 6:23 and Ezekiel 18:4.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 7:14 refers to Christians who are saved since they are washed in the blood of the Lamb - Although too many to be counted, we know that they are outnumbered by those who are unsaved, which is according to the Fewness of the Saved doctrine in Christianity (Matthew 7:13-14) - Those who are unsaved are also too numerous to be counted, but we know that they will outnumber the countless "few" who are saved.
It is true that a minority will find the narrow path while in the flesh.
It could even be argued that only Jesus found this narrow path and did not go astray.
That way He IS that narrow path for us humans.
But to be clear, i'm someone who hopes for a bit of universalism, that is to say, those who eventually would want to be saved, even when they didn't hear or see while in the flesh.
But this is up to God, who can save people during their terminal breath if He wants to, and give people that choice.
Obviously when someone really doesn't want to, and still hates God when offered this choice "while physically dying", they will not be saved.
"Every knee shall bow." eventually.
But some will be big and others will be small in the Kingdom of God.
What is certain is that none of those who are saved are completely innocent (Romans 3:10; Ecclesiastes 7:20).
Only Jesus is without sin.
Equally certain is that most of those who are unsaved are unlikely to be murderers, but their transgressions would be far less serious than murder - As you don't have to be a murderer at all to merit the death penalty - Since, the Bible does not draw any distinction at all between a thief, rapist or murderer; Nor any distinction between adultery, false testimony, and murder in terms of their respective penalties - Sin is sin, and the most common type of punishment seems to be death, according to Romans 6:23 and Ezekiel 18:4.
The wages of sin is death.
But Jesus did bear the sins of the world.
I don't know, of course, but i have a feeling and i hope that many more will end up in the right place, since the price is paid for all, for God loved the world so much.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God is perfectly JUST..

DEFINITION of God's JUSTICE: ...a perfectly Good God of pure and holy Spirit dealing perfectly fair with His Creation...

“Justice and judgment are the habitation of Thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before Thy face” (Psalm 89:14).

Isaiah 30:18....[ God Is Gracious and Just ]
Therefore the LORD longs to be gracious to you,
And therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of JUSTICE;
How blessed are all those who long for Him.

Deuteronomy 32:4...The Song of Moses-God: all His ways are JUST
3 “For I proclaim the name of the LORD;
Ascribe greatness to our God!
4 “The Rock!
His work is perfect,
For all His ways are JUST;
A God of faithfulness and without injustice,
Righteous and upright is He.

Micah 6 (NASB)...What God Requires of Man
8 He has told you, O man, what is GOOD;
And what does the LORD require of you...But...
to do JUSTICE,
to LOVE kindness, And
to WALK humbly with your God?

His JUDGMENTS of all SPIRITS are fair and righteous.

Hebrews 9:27 (NASB)
And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die (Body/Soul combo) once
and after this comes judgment,(of all SPIRITS)

BELIEVERS spiritual POSITION in Christ is NOT JUDGED.

John 3 (NASB)
17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world,
but that the world might be saved THROUGH Him.
18 He who BELIEVES in Him is NOT judged;
he who does NOT BELIEVE has been judged already,
because he has not BELIEVED in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 5:24...“Truly, truly, I say to you,
he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal (spiritual) life,
and does not come into judgment, (in the future)
but has passed out of death into life. (PAST TENSE (aorist))

1. Jesus judges the NATIONS (ethnos)...Matthew 25: 31-46

2. Jesus judges ONLY the WORKS of believers...2 Corinthians 5: 1-15 (NIV) + 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 (NIV)

The JUST "wrath of God" remains on those who REJECT Him through UN-belief in God the Son..

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.

Jeremiah 17:10 ...PRINCIPLE: You reap what you sow
“I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind,
Even to give to each man according to his ways,
According to the results of his deeds.

Matthew 16:27 ...God harvests and JUDGES!
For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and
will then repay every man according to his deeds.

John 3:36...John the Baptizer on Jesus: CHOOSE
1. He who believes in the Son has eternal life; (BELIEVER)
but
2.he who does not obey (TO BELIEVE IN!) the Son will not see life,
but the "wrath of God" abides on him.” (UN-BELIEVER)

Upvote 0