Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The atheist will look at this subject in another light and say that God is a monster. If they were honest with the text, in all the cases where he killed someone (directly/indirectly) it was connected with some gross sin that deserved it. They love to point out the book of Joshua for the mass "homicide" of Canaanites, but they aren't willing to admit that these same people were described as a people who sacrificed their children to idols, had perverse relationships with their close relatives, and practiced all sorts of abominable things that God "vomited them out of the land" for such and threatened to do the same to Israel if they followed after their manner of behavior (Leviticus 18:28).

The angel of death is an interesting one, because in the case of David's census it appears that Satan is a different person than him. Satan enticed David, but the angel of death was the consequence for heeding to Satan.

Thanks for your help understanding this. Jesus of course went to the cross without killing. And showed us a different side of God than what is described. I am leaning towards this Apollyon/Abaddon as the killer in these stories. But I can't be sure the way the bible is written. Perhaps another question for God if I ever meet him.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for your help understanding this. Jesus of course went to the cross without killing. And showed us a different side of God than what is described. I am leaning towards this Apollyon/Abaddon as the killer in these stories. But I can't be sure the way the bible is written. Perhaps another question for God if I ever meet him.

I know that John Calvin doesn't have a great reputation on this site for his strong views of predestination, but he wrote a great deal on other subjects in his Institutes of the Christian Religion. One of them is this one, where he discusses the roles of his creatures in the events and circumstances of this life. It was in his second book where he said that God has the power to execute such events himself, but instead leaves it to his angels and ministers and enemies to carry them out. The way he discussed the topic really opened my mind to this subject. If you are interested, I suggest checking it out.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know that John Calvin doesn't have a great reputation on this site for his strong views of predestination, but he wrote a great deal on other subjects in his Institutes of the Christian Religion. One of them is this one, where he discusses the roles of his creatures in the events and circumstances of this life. It was in his second book where he said that God has the power to execute such events himself, but instead leaves it to his angels and ministers and enemies to carry them out. The way he discussed the topic really opened my mind to this subject. If you are interested, I suggest checking it out.

Is there a link to the location where this specific topic is discussed? Something I can read online? Thanks.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So when someone dies from a natural disaster, who killed them, God created the earth, so Satan must have caused it to become dangerous somehow?

1 Samuel 2:6-7
6 The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up. 7 The Lord maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliever out of my hand.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 Samuel 2:6-7
6 The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up. 7 The Lord maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliever out of my hand.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

That is interesting. So I must confess that God kills. I didn't want to believe it though for some reason. I checked the translations and there's no mistaking that apparently.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟85,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes I did some reading on that and I found this site which states that God kills: Examples of God personally killing people - RationalWiki

But I kinda think he is stating that he kills because he is the author of creation. But I'm trying to form my belief on the subject. There are examples like Egpyt and it says he sent the angel of death: Exodus 12:23

"When the LORD goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the doorframe and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down."

So I kinda think he controls this destroyer "Abaddon" or "Apollyon" or "Angel of death", but doesn't do the killing himself. Revelation 9:11

"They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer)."

Hebrews 2:14 ; John 8:44-45

• Useful
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,387.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="devin553344, post: 74098486, member: 382150"

So when someone dies from a natural disaster, who killed them, God created the earth, so Satan must have caused it to become dangerous somehow?[/QUOTE]

God set in motion processes that can do both good and bad. The outcome is based on the behavior of man. Build strong buildings and that earthquake won't knock them down and kill people.

Genesis 1:28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. ... "

Subdue the earth. Or subdue the processes that are ongoing on Earth. Some of those processes including the growth of forests and plants, and others include the moving of tectonic plates. Some processes can do bad like forest fires, floods, avalanches and earthquakes. But they have a good side too like wood, water, snow for water storage and minerals. Note that good can emerge out bad at a later time.

When people work together and help each other then there is nothing they cannot do. When they work against each other then they suffer.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
That is interesting. So I must confess that God kills. I didn't want to believe it though for some reason. I checked the translations and there's no mistaking that apparently.

We have to remember it is his breath in our lungs.

Ezekiel 18:4 KJV — Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

1 Samuel 2:22-25
22 Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
23 And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people.
24 Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the LORD'S people to transgress.
25 If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the Lord, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since you are referring to natural disasters, you have answered your own question. The causes of such disasters are natural, not supernatural - caused by natural forces, not by God or Satan.

Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's been revealed to me that God can only do good and Satan can only do evil.

So when someone dies from a natural disaster, who killed them, God created the earth, so Satan must have caused it to become dangerous somehow?

These things are a natural part of life renewing and restoring on Earth, they are neither good nor bad. They just are. It’s vanity and human ego that assigns “good” and “bad” to something like a natural disaster. We tend towards “it impacted me badly, therefore it’s bad” mentality when it just isn’t that clear cut.

Forest fires? Volcanos? Bad for humans for sure, but that is what restores balance to areas that are struggling with undergrowth, areas where invasive plants or animals have taken too strong a foothold, and it introduces nutrients to the soil and water that lead to a refreshing growth that is stronger than what was there. Floods and earthquakes? Same thing. Both have shown to help with undersea growth, expansion of fish and underwater animal food resources, and a redistribution of nutrients. Not great for us, but something our struggling coral reefs desperately need and it’s super great for them.

We serve God, but God oversees all, not just us. As such things have to happen as part of God’s plan for others that our self-centered nature categorizes as bad when the reality is it was necessary for another aspect of life.

• Useful
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am surprised no one has given you Jesus’ answer to “Why did this happen?” John 9:1-7.

God allows or causes all kinds of tragedies and disasters, but all is to help those who are willing to accept His help in fulfilling their objective while here on earth.

John 9:1-7 is one specific case, but it really can be applied to every tragedy. These tragedies are opportunities for Christians to extend Love, show Love, experience Love, receive Love and give Love. We do not have to cure the blind person, but do what we can to help and be friend the needy person. If the blind person in John 9 had stayed blind he would still be a great person to know, look what he said to the authority of his day. Wow, he really knew those guys and must have heard a lot.

What is bad about death in and of itself and why is it bad for God to quit providing life to people. It is bad for bad people hell bound, but it is a way to keep them from doing bad stuff. For me it is my way home.

I only see God doing what is good, but disciplining is not fun at the time and allowing the Spirit to work through us can be hard, but rewarding. Look at Lazarus in “The Rich man and Lazarus”, he was providing the very best opportunity for the rich man to experience Godly type Love everyday for his whole life, with no results, so his reward awaited him in heaven. We might be called upon to do the same.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repented.. that word is loaded. We must also look in Numbers where is it not written GOD never changes His mind? :) All these questions can not be answers in a few posts. We know that God was going to judge and looked among the people for just one to stand in the gap so He didn't have to judge. So we know that Moses was very close to God. God really valued what he said.

Remember were looking through a clouded glass. What happen to Adam and Eve after they sinned? Did GOD kill them? He told them.. if you eat of this tree you will die. They will die because SIN. The price of sin is death in this world. That has not changed. Didn't Jesus say if this was my kingdom my servants would fight? So whos world is this right now? There are a few verses on this.

Anyway we must look at all the word "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he." 'For the LORD is righteous, he loves justice; the upright will see his face" "All our days pass away under your wrath; we finish our years with a moan."

So how are we reading this word "kill"? With Moshe (Moses) didnt God ask them like.. who side you on? The 3000 died. 3000.. after Jesus how many got saved? 3000.. how strange :) SO MUCH more to this.

Upvote 0