• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

God & ASD’s

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have an ASD but I knew God before we as a family knew I was on the spectrum. Sometimes I wonder if God uses ASD’s in people to draw or repel others away from Him. I do not intereact with many NT’s and the few ND’s I do interact with are either, like myself, obsessed with God and Scripture or are completely uninterested by any religion or philosophy.

One of the biggest things I feel I need to overcome with God’s help is my literal thinking which leads to judgement of others and pride. I also need to work on rephrasing my opinions is a gentle way instead of scripting and parroting what I have heard or read without context as both of these repel others away from God because of my bad witness in Grace and Love.

I am proud to be autistic because there are many aspects of it that do benefit my faith that I hope benefit others as well as myself but I acknowledge that I am responsible for my actions too and that they cannot all be excused by a developmental disorder.

I also wonder if God is autistic too because He likes order and separation and logic and does not feel the need to respond or explain in expected ways. Just some of my thoughts, what are your thoughts?

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have 2 ASD sons, and they have faith in and understanding of God (as much as any of us can). Many ASD people here on the Forum seem to have trouble believing in God due to their literal thinking, but it hasn't been a problem for my boys, or apparently for you! :)

Welcome to CF!

• Friendly
Reactions: Aimz
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have an Aspy granddaughter; and her mom (my middle daughter) after being educated in the spectrum and watching Vena, believes that I am mildly on the spectrum myself.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the biggest things I feel I need to overcome with God’s help is my literal thinking which leads to judgement of others and pride.
Yes, God is the One who has us succeed in being humble with other people.

And any of us, Aimz, can get proud and judgmental about what we think we know; so our Apostle Paul has written this in order to help all of us >

"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." (in 1 Corinthians 8:1)

But yes there are times when other people are wrong about what they suppose they know. What helps me, in dealing with how other people are wrong, is >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

So, what can help is if we care about the people, first, instead of first or mainly caring about what they say or think about our ideas.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the welcome and replying, Darkhorse.
Yes I have two friends also on the spectrum and both older than me. One is a believer and the other is not and does not feel the need for any religion. I am glad you and your sons are happy in our LORD!

I have 2 ASD sons, and they have faith in and understanding of God (as much as any of us can). Many ASD people here on the Forum seem to have trouble believing in God due to their literal thinking, but it hasn't been a problem for my boys, or apparently for you! :)

Welcome to CF!

• Friendly
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for replying, Dave W.
My grandpa is a God fearing man and a source of strong friendship to me. I am glad we live in a time of more acceptance and education on Autism and the spectrum than previous generations.

I have an Aspy granddaughter; and her mom (my middle daughter) after being educated in the spectrum and watching Vena, believes that I am mildly on the spectrum myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for replying, Com7fy8.

I appreciate the encouragment and the Scripture passages. I will write them down and commit them to memory. Paul is one of my favourites too. Yes, I agree caring about them and not just their words is something I need to work on too. That is Love and faith without love is worthless.

Yes, God is the One who has us succeed in being humble with other people.

And any of us, Aimz, can get proud and judgmental about what we think we know; so our Apostle Paul has written this in order to help all of us >

"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." (in 1 Corinthians 8:1)

But yes there are times when other people are wrong about what they suppose they know. What helps me, in dealing with how other people are wrong, is >

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

So, what can help is if we care about the people, first, instead of first or mainly caring about what they say or think about our ideas.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

christianaspie8701

Oct 4, 2017
Texas
✟15,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have an ASD but I knew God before we as a family knew I was on the spectrum. Sometimes I wonder if God uses ASD’s in people to draw or repel others away from Him. I do not intereact with many NT’s and the few ND’s I do interact with are either, like myself, obsessed with God and Scripture or are completely uninterested by any religion or philosophy.

One of the biggest things I feel I need to overcome with God’s help is my literal thinking which leads to judgement of others and pride. I also need to work on rephrasing my opinions is a gentle way instead of scripting and parroting what I have heard or read without context as both of these repel others away from God because of my bad witness in Grace and Love.

I am proud to be autistic because there are many aspects of it that do benefit my faith that I hope benefit others as well as myself but I acknowledge that I am responsible for my actions too and that they cannot all be excused by a developmental disorder.

I also wonder if God is autistic too because He likes order and separation and logic and does not feel the need to respond or explain in expected ways. Just some of my thoughts, what are your thoughts?

I have the exact same problem. I am scared to talk to people about God and the Bible because my EQ and empathy are too poor. I once rebuked someone for engaging in fornication and subsequently having a shotgun wedding. She claimed that things worked out the way God wanted it to. I quoted a bunch of Bible verses that spoke strongly against fornication and told her that sin is never God's will. However, I also told her that if she repents God will forgive her.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did the same thing when I see error I call it out expecting that when I commit errors others will provide the same service. Everyone just gets angry at me then I am upset for days. I never learn!

I have the exact same problem. I am scared to talk to people about God and the Bible because my EQ and empathy are too poor. I once rebuked someone for engaging in fornication and subsequently having a shotgun wedding. She claimed that things worked out the way God wanted it to. I quoted a bunch Bible verses that spoke strongly against fornication and told her that sin is never God's will. However, I also told her that if she repents God will forgive her.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

We all have faults.. As long as we are aknowledging out faults as faults to god then the grace of God is covering us for all those faults we have.. So you have aknowledged in this post that you do not like that you sometimes are proud and judgemental and that you are sometimes blunt while explaining the thoughts you have .. I think a lot of people suffer from the same things you have mentioned.. i know i can sometimes be blunt when discussing scripture.. We all like some aspects of ourselves and dislike others.. As long as we like what God likes and hate what God hates we are united in Spirit with Him..

I don't think God is Autistic but he understands Autistic people perfectly.. And is well able to lead them into eternal life.. :D

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I did the same thing when I see error I call it out expecting that when I commit errors others will provide the same service. Everyone just gets angry at me then I am upset for days. I never learn!

Pointing out others errors can get a bad reaction because people are badly affected by their own Pride.. A proud person does not like to have others pointing out there mistakes or errors or faults... They cannot see your input as helpful advice, the proud see it as someone putting them down and trying to Lord it over them...

But the humble in Spirit will take what others say and ponder on it in their mind without hitting out at the one seeking to help them.. That's why the scriptures say God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble..

James 4: KJV
5 "Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? {6} But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0