God appoints government leaders?

I believe that God appoints all rulers and when I think about Hitler, Stalin etc this truth

• Causes me to wonder about God's goodness

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Doesn't bother me at all.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Makes me want to go investigate this idea more deeply.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don't believe that interpretation of scripture and see things a different way.

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your correct. Even if you were able to associate Hitler with Christianity, it says nothing about the truth value of Christian claims. The smallest investigative effort will yield a different picture altogether. Hitler sent the true Christian church underground as he took over the church and filled it with atheists. He persecuted Christians. But ad hominem attacks won't help us establish truth-value of the question, "Is there a God?"

Now as to you primary inference about God approving of bad leaders, this is not how the church has historically interpreted the passage. The idea is that with governments the culture gets stability, with stability one can meet there lower order Maslow's hierarchy of needs needs. Then and only then can they ask, "why am I here, where did I come from, Where am I going when I die, I do I live my life, how do I relate to God?""

This is why we don't see the NT focusing on social reform. It is focused instead on the questions listed above and the evangelism that takes place in Acts is able to spread so quickly due to the Pax Romana! Hardly Christian, these pagan rulers never the less, created roads, and built cities, and although living under Roman rule was difficult it allowed stability in the lives of the first converts to enable them to weigh the evidence and respond.

Governments provide stability that maximizes people investigating God's claims.

Anarchy minimizes people's investigation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Athée

Jun 11, 2015
✟39,486.00
Faith
Humanist
Your correct. Even if you were able to associate Hitler with Christianity, it says nothing about the truth value of Christian claims. The smallest investigative effort will yield a different picture altogether. Hitler sent the true Christian church underground as he took over the church and filled it with atheists. He persecuted Christians. But ad hominem attacks won't help us establish truth-value of the question, "Is there a God?"

Now as to you primary inference about God approving of bad leaders, this is not how the church has historically interpreted the passage. The idea is that with governments the culture gets stability, with stability one can meet there lower order Maslow's hierarchy of needs needs. Then and only then can they ask, "why am I here, where did I come from, Where am I going when I die, I do I live my life, how do I relate to God?""

This is why we don't see the NT focusing on social reform. It is focused instead on the questions listed above and the evangelism that takes place in Acts is able to spread so quickly due to the Pax Romana! Hardly Christian, these pagan rulers never the less, created roads, and built cities, and although living under Roman rule was difficult it allowed stability in the lives of the first converts to enable them to weigh the evidence and respond.

Governments provide stability that maximizes people investigating God's claims.

Anarchy minimizes people's investigation.

Really interesting take on the topic, thanks for sharing :)

Upvote 0