• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

God and Schizophrenia

FallenAndBack93

Sep 27, 2019
Indianapolis
✟16,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I am new to this site and have made my presence known, and as I have said, I am never sure what to expect to gain from using these sorts of forums, but when I saw that there is a forum for people with my condition, I had a feeling I had come to the right place.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia a little over a year ago. I am not worried about hallucinations and voices, half an Abilify tablet a day has brought my psychosis to a screeching halt :) but there are things that come along with being diagnosed with schizophrenia that concern me greatly. I suppose my biggest problem is that I am living at home again after my diagnosis, and am 26 years old. Infuriating! I also have severe anxiety thanks to my Abilify's side effects, but really, between going psychosis free with anxiety and going psychotic without it, which do you choose, right?

I have lots of issues. I'm terrified of everyday things like grocery shopping, I am hopeless at handling money well, I can't really afford to eat as healthy as I would like (not that I know how to cook if I did), and I have issues with severe depression and chronic boredom. Granted, God has certainly seen me through many difficulties, but it seems that these mentioned issues above are mine alone to deal with. Perhaps they are crucial aspects of God's calling for me? I don't know.

Most recently, I am ashamed to say I committed a sin, and while I have repented an asked His forgiveness, I still feel crushed concerning it. I was angry that He had not healed my back (I work a labor job, my back must be in working order) and became testy with Him. See, I know when I am feeling resentment or frustration towards God is when I need help the most, hence my reaching out to all of you on this forum. I am not even sure what kind of help I need.

I apologize for the jumbled nature of this post and those I will undoubtedly post in the future, we schizo's have a tendency to be scatterbrained for those who do not know.

Well thank you for listening, I was just kind of thinking out loud as a often do. Hope you are well.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, I am new to this site and have made my presence known, and as I have said, I am never sure what to expect to gain from using these sorts of forums, but when I saw that there is a forum for people with my condition, I had a feeling I had come to the right place.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia a little over a year ago. I am not worried about hallucinations and voices, half an Abilify tablet a day has brought my psychosis to a screeching halt :) but there are things that come along with being diagnosed with schizophrenia that concern me greatly. I suppose my biggest problem is that I am living at home again after my diagnosis, and am 26 years old. Infuriating! I also have severe anxiety thanks to my Abilify's side effects, but really, between going psychosis free with anxiety and going psychotic without it, which do you choose, right?

I have lots of issues. I'm terrified of everyday things like grocery shopping, I am hopeless and handling money well, I can't really afford to eat as healthy as I would like (not that I know how to cook if I did), and I have issues with severe depression and chronic boredom. Granted, God has certainly seen me through many difficulties, but it seems that these mentioned issues above are mine alone to deal with. Perhaps they are crucial aspects of God's calling for me? I don't know.

Most recently, I am ashamed to say I committed a sin, and while I have repented an asked His forgiveness, I still feel crushed concerning it. I was angry that He had not healed my back (I work a labor job, my back must be in working order) and became testy with Him. See, I know when I am feeling resentment or frustration towards God is when I need help the most, hence my reaching out to all of you on this forum. I am not even sure what kind of help I need.

I apologize for the jumbled nature of this post and those I will undoubtedly post in the future, we schizo's have a tendency to be scatterbrained for those who do not know.

Well thank you for listening, I was just kind of thinking out loud as a often do. Hope you are well.

People are born into a sin condition
just like fish are born into water.

All fish are wet. All people have sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have lots of issues. I'm terrified of everyday things like grocery shopping, I am hopeless and handling money well, I can't really afford to eat as healthy as I would like (not that I know how to cook if I did), and I have issues with severe depression and chronic boredom. Granted, God has certainly seen me through many difficulties, but it seems that these mentioned issues above are mine alone to deal with. Perhaps they are crucial aspects of God's calling for me? I don't know.

Good to meet you down here. i have Schizophrenia as well and am on medications for it. i suffer from very much the same symptoms as you do, and find that visiting the forums and praying for others who are hurting as well as getting support from the caring ones here, is one way to spend good quality time.

Welcome to CF

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, you believe that even while you have schizophrenia, it is possible for you to sin and for you to know it is a sin.

I think you are saying you got nasty with God, and I agree such would be a sin. But, right away, I can admit I was wrong and trust God to forgive me and change my character so I am stronger and more prayerful against reacting badly against God.

We can be swift to be ashamed and guilt-trip ourselves, but what can work better is to seek God for correction so we do better. Punishing ourselves can be a trick to keep us from depending on how God is able to change us.

And you know your writing can be choppy or haphazard; so this shows you can see what you are doing and be honest and considerate about it . . . versus not caring and not being willing to communicate. So, this can be a love thing, on your part. It is special to be able to love and to share mutually and be sensitive to one another >

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

I do think that while we have mental and medical problems it is possible to sin. We are accountable to God, all the time. I even trust that what I do in my dreams matters to God. And if I have things messing with me in my mind, how I react and how I handle it matters to God.

Jesus says not to fear.

"'Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.'" (John 14:27)

So, I see through this, how it is sin to fear . . . since Jesus says not to fear. So, again . . . how we react to things that come to mind is important. And the encouragement is how we can personally share with Jesus, instead, in His own peace. Jesus says "My" peace; so this is Christ's own peace that He experiences and desires to share with us.

So, along with this confrontation against the sin of fear we have such a strong encouragement of all God desires for us, instead. Jesus, then, is not just dumping a pile of criticism on us and leaving us along the road. And this peace has power almighty, since it is God's peace; God's peace almighty is easily able to protect us.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Thank you for your honest post. God loves the honest. He can help them while the self-righteous He ignores. You are suffering condemnation. Conviction is when we realise that we have sinned and we ask for cleansing by confessing our sin. Condemnation is when we feel unable to accept that we are forgiven and feel that we need to punish ourselves.

Satan is the Accuser of the Brethren. When God forgives, He removes the sin as if it never happened. We need to accept God's mercy and forgiveness to the same degree. We overcome the accuser by pleading the precious blood shed for forgiveness of our sin. God is not surprised when we sin. Kicking ourselves over and over is false humility. Lord Jesus was punished for us. We do not need to punish ourselves. It does nothing for us spiritually.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have lots of issues. I'm terrified of everyday things like grocery shopping, I am hopeless at handling money well, I can't really afford to eat as healthy as I would like (not that I know how to cook if I did), and I have issues with severe depression and chronic boredom. Granted, God has certainly seen me through many difficulties, but it seems that these mentioned issues above are mine alone to deal with. Perhaps they are crucial aspects of God's calling for me? I don't know.

I have been diagnosed with skitsoeffective disorder for over ten years, I had audible hallucinations. But also some visual. But overall paranoia. But the Lord healed me through prayer and taking my medicine and through seeing my doctor regularly. I still take my medicine, which is similar to yours. But I don't have any audible hallucinations. God just spoke to me one day and said...."it's all in your head." And ever since that day, I still hear the voices if I want, but I realize the true from the false ones. But anyway, the depression part is what i am concerned about with you, I made a thread about depression, feel free to read the OP, and be part of the thread if you want, I can talk more there about it...

Do you struggle with depression as a christian? You are not alone...

Upvote 0