Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment, lots of things are going wrong and it's becoming pretty stressful. I'm trying to think how I can use my faith to help me and wondered if anyone has any practical tips or advice to offer? It would certainly be appreciated :)

I found a few Bible verses that speak about anxiety:

Philippians 4:6-7, “In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

And Philippians 4:8-9 which tells us to practice awareness of our thoughts and take them captive:

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you”

Would anyone like to share how they deal with anxiety?

Edited as accidentally omitted the first part of Philippians 4:6

Last edited:

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment, lots of things are going wrong and it's becoming pretty stressful. I'm trying to think how I can use my faith to help me and wondered if anyone has any practical tips or advice to offer? It would certainly be appreciated :)

Philippians 4:6-7, “but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

And Philippians 4:8-9 which tells us to practice awareness of our thoughts and take them captive:

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you”

Yes. About 4 weeks ago I was seriously ill in hospital. It was no fun but I had a sense of God's presence. I could hardly pray. Hospitals are noisy, the care is necessarily intrusive (I was like a porcupine in reverse) and the Corona restrictions severely limited visitors. I had not one moment of fear. I've learned to trust in the Lord and not rely on my understanding.

We need to commit everything to God, even mundane things like packing up to move. I ran out of toothpaste in hospital. The Lord reminded me that there was a mouthwash that I could use instead. And yes, the hospital had that. We need to cast our care on He who cares for us. Stress is when we are trying to work things out on our own. Peace comes when we depend on God to get us through.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I use the Jesus prayer. Shut down intrusive thoughts at their root.

Okay thanks. The Jesus prayer is:

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes. About 4 weeks ago I was seriously ill in hospital. It was no fun but I had a sense of God's presence. I could hardly pray. Hospitals are noisy, the care is necessarily intrusive (I was like a porcupine in reverse) and the Corona restrictions severely limited visitors. I had not one moment of fear. I've learned to trust in the Lord and not rely on my understanding.

We need to commit everything to God, even mundane things like packing up to move. I ran out of toothpaste in hospital. The Lord reminded me that there was a mouthwash that I could use instead. And yes, the hospital had that. We need to cast our care on He who cares for us. Stress is when we are trying to work things out on our own. Peace comes when we depend on God to get us through.

Fantastic reply. I hope you're fully recovered.

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay thanks. The Jesus prayer is:

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Yes. I generally use the abbreviated version: "Lord Jesus, have mercy" whatever works best for you.

I have been using it for years and at this point it almost immediately shuts down the committee in my mind. :)

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I remember something Rabbi Lionel Blue once said which was that he would mentally wrap all his troubles and cares into a ball and toss it to God saying "Catch!"

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Philippians 4:6-7, “but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

The thing about stress is that it's just in your mind, your thoughts... it's the whole what-if I don't x and x and x...

What I have to do when I feel stressed is just center myself on the immediate - what can I do right now in this moment, and place the rest, what I can't do, in God's Hand...

That at times needs to be conscious thought, placing what you can't do and all the what ifs in God's hand, so every time you start feeling overwhelmed just do that. Just say God, I'm doing what I can and giving what I can't to you.

Don't expect your idea of perfection, but God helps us with our stress, and makes it all work out just fine in the end. Hang onto that, and periodically let go of your own ideas of perfection, and just do what you can right now and hand the rest over to Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes. I generally use the abbreviated version: "Lord Jesus, have mercy" whatever works best for you.

I have been using it for years and at this point it almost immediately shuts down the committee in my mind. :)

I think I prefer the short version too. It's amazing that it works almost immediately for you now after all your meditative practice.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yoga helps (if you don’t have a superstitious fear of it ) . It tends to focus you on what your body is doing so you don’t get either too tired, hungry ,or stressed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just say God, I'm doing what I can and giving what I can't to you.

Don't expect your idea of perfection, but God helps us with our stress, and makes it all work out just fine in the end. Hang onto that, and periodically let go of your own ideas of perfection, and just do what you can right now and hand the rest over to Him.

Great thoughts (as was the rest of your post too!), thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yoga helps (if you don’t have a superstitious fear of it ) . It tends to focus you on what your body is doing so you don’t get either too tired, hungry ,or stressed

Yoga has always been something that I wish I did!

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They have YouTube videos on how to do the yoga positions . But it’s the mindfulness that takes time. You have to be aware of what your body is doing .

Yes. As I understand it, the mental benefit comes from being mindful of the position and movement of your body and breathing. I don't know if you're aware of Jon Kabat-Zinn but he's a great writer and talker about mindfulness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

There's a big and crucial difference between "feeling anxious" and clinical anxiety. I assume it's the former we're talking about here, so I'll stick with that!

I moved recently as well, and it included a major life change, so I can absolutely relate to the stress and worry and feelings of being overwhelmed and "how am I going to do all of this?!"

Some comforting verses that God is with you no matter where you make your home :)

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD Himself goes before you; He will be with you. He will never leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid or discouraged.

Exodus 33:14 And the LORD answered, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a big and crucial difference between "feeling anxious" and clinic anxiety. I assume it's the former we're talking about here, so I'll stick with that!

Yes, it's not clinical anxiety, at least not yet!

And thanks for the verses. They are very comforting and encouraging.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I need to try this. My mind feels like a bottomless pit of clutter most of the time.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember something Rabbi Lionel Blue once said which was that he would mentally wrap all his troubles and cares into a ball and toss it to God saying "Catch!"
I do this sometimes, too. I try to picture myself holding whatever the burden is, and handing it over to Jesus, and watching my hands let go of it.

• Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, it's not clinical anxiety, at least not yet!

And thanks for the verses. They are very comforting and encouraging.

Then in Jesus' name, it will NOT become so!

You're so welcome. I have a lifetime's experience with worry and anxiety lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0