• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God’s Un-American View of the Poor and Why It Matters

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by gzt, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Jesus4Madrid

Jesus4Madrid Orthodox Christian

+387
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    You are just randomly searching for articles from unknown sources to try to disprove the Brookings study? Why? Because you don’t believe in personal accountability for poverty?

But then you do believe in personal accountability for riches? So if my sin makes me poor, we should blame others, but if my sin makes me rich, I am culpable?

That’s an egregious double standard.

2. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+3,686
    Atheist
    Single
    And what does that mean in practice? To the control of the patriarch of the tribe. Hardly a way of dispersing wealth.

3. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+3,686
    Atheist
    Single
    This is very misleading. 2 is not get a full time job, it is get and keep a full time job. With just a high school education that is not an easy thing to do. I remember a Football cliche. A decade ago it seemed like every time a coach got asked what they needed to do to beat the team that was steamrolling everyone they would say 'We need to run the ball to set up the pass'. They would conveniently leave out that no one had been able to run against that team all year. That or the other one that you see now (which the better announcers point out the flaw in) that the team has a much better win/loss record when they run for over 200 yards which it turns out they only do against a really weak run defense or when they are protecting a nice lead in the second half and running all the time to keep the clock running.

Getting and keeping a full time job is a measure of success already achieved, not a roar to success. If it were people would flock to getting jobs at McD's.

4. nutroll

nutroll Veteran

+420
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think that rather than being a double standard, it points to the fact that very few people would choose to be poor if given a choice, but most people aspire to be rich. When a person is poor because of consequences for their sin (which is not always the case), we ought to look on them with pity because they were unable to choose what was right even to their detriment. When a person is rich because of the consequences of their sin (which again is also not the case), they have received the reward they sought after. I would say, however, that they should be pitied even more for they have traded a greater reward for earthly riches, and they have little incentive for repentance with a comfortable life.

5. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    No, I read it carefully. I had to evaluate whether it made the correct argument about the identifiability problem - which it did. It's hardly random, either, as the author's work is familiar to me. A lot of people's work in labor policy is familiar to me. I remember one amusing instance when somebody had a question about unemployment rate calculations and rather than answer it myself I pointed to an authoritative source - and it turned out to be the husband of a coworker of mine.

6. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+5,463
    Christian
    Married
    The patriarch of the tribe was responsible for the members of the tribe, and they'd keep him alive when he got old.

7. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+5,463
    Christian
    Married
    And lots of poor people have full-time jobs that don't provide a middle-class life. And most of the people working two part-time jobs would love to have a full-time job.

8. Jesus4Madrid

Jesus4Madrid Orthodox Christian

+387
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Forgive me if I have slightly derailed this thread speaking about the poor. It has been interesting—lots of great input— but I recognise that you didn’t want to go there. Mea culpa.

9. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,293
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    if the non-Orthodox wish to discuss this, could you all start your own thread somewhere else please?

10. Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth Member

+63
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Gzt, Hi.. I read the article, and personally didn't find it 'challenging'.. I thought it was unfairly slanderous, to be honest.
    Americans have a long track record of being uniquely welcoming to impoverished refugees.. Americans have a well established record of giving generously to charities (numbers are easily researched). And those numbers don't even account for all the acts of unrecorded kindness, like cash contributions to homeless people in front of 7-11s, etc.
    Americans focus on educating poor kids, providing free lunches, social saftey nets, programs & objectives that don't exist in many other countries.. I'd submit (on a sliding scale), we are imperfect, but have a pretty compassionate approach/view of poor folks.
    It gets old hearing how much Americans (supposedly) suck..

11. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+3,074
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Those hands were many, not few.

12. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,293
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I would also add I liked in one of St Basil's epistles where he asks the rich why they spend so much effort to get gold out of the ground, only to hoard it in a vault back under the ground.