God’s Stand on Deception, and Jacob...A Contradiction?

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟113,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The God that is worshipped in the Bible is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and of whom Jesus is part of. Jacob is revered in the Bible, and he is also revered in the Quran. But Jacob gained his stature through deception, inducing Isaac to believe he was giving his blessings to Jacob’s older brother Esau as Jacob disguised himself. And, in Genesis 27:19 Jacob says to his father Isaac, “I am Esau your firstborn. I have done as you told me; now sit up and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.”

So Jacob deceived and lied to Isaac, who under deception gave his blessings to Jacob instead of Esau. God would have looked down upon and denied access to His House to anyone who acted as Jacob did, yet Jacob is in high regard by the Lord. The deception and lie are regarded as evil in both the Old and New Testaments. Psalms 101:7 says, “No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.” Revelation 21:8 says, “But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and ALL LIARS, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” Yet the Lord holds Jacob higher than others, whom he judged to be righteous.

Proverbs 3:5 tells us to trust in God, and don’t lean on our own understanding. Thus, we are not obligated to understanding what God does. But for purposes of our understanding we have Romans 8:28 which says, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” And His purpose is beyond what he expects from us. We may do what he says, but not what he does in all respects, even if we have the capability of doing so. Throughout the history of man, God has taken the evil ones and used them to His Purpose, which at the end of the day is for the sake of goodness.

But for our purpose, deception is evil, and we should not be receptive to it. 1 Corinthians 15:33 says, “Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company ruins good morals.’” There are those among our leaders who are well-known and who’ve made deception into an art form. And they use their deception to mislead and try to mislead us away from God. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 says “For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.”

That time has come, and more so in certain places than in others. In certain places the governing authorities have shunned their responsibility to the general public. For them, it’s easier to govern people who don’t need to be governed than it is to govern the poor and needy. But does not the Bible say to help the poor and needy? And does not the Bible say that any governing authority who asserts that they govern under God should govern as if the Lord is telling them what to do?

Despite God’s treatment of Jacob, deception is evil. And those who give into it are just as culpable.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a very important topic, thanks for raising it.

In many cultures deception is considered a normal part of life.

In such cultures courruption is rife.

I once wrote an essay on the negative aspects of God - like the Hatred of God against sin. You read that here if you are interested.

Reflections on Church and Life: Restoring Reverence for God.

God also sent deceiving angels...

I think Rahab's action is another example of sanctified deceit when she lied about where the spies were...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jacob also reaped what he sowed. Laban deceived him swapping Leah for Rachel. His sons deceived him about Josephs fate. Of all the typologies in OT scripture, Jacob seems to represent us.

Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God: Psalm 146:5

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The God that is worshipped in the Bible is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and of whom Jesus is part of. Jacob is revered in the Bible, and he is also revered in the Quran. But Jacob gained his stature through deception, inducing Isaac to believe he was giving his blessings to Jacob’s older brother Esau as Jacob disguised himself. And, in Genesis 27:19 Jacob says to his father Isaac, “I am Esau your firstborn. I have done as you told me; now sit up and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.”

So Jacob deceived and lied to Isaac, who under deception gave his blessings to Jacob instead of Esau. God would have looked down upon and denied access to His House to anyone who acted as Jacob did, yet Jacob is in high regard by the Lord. The deception and lie are regarded as evil in both the Old and New Testaments. Psalms 101:7 says, “No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.” Revelation 21:8 says, “But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and ALL LIARS, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” Yet the Lord holds Jacob higher than others, whom he judged to be righteous.

Proverbs 3:5 tells us to trust in God, and don’t lean on our own understanding. Thus, we are not obligated to understanding what God does. But for purposes of our understanding we have Romans 8:28 which says, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” And His purpose is beyond what he expects from us. We may do what he says, but not what he does in all respects, even if we have the capability of doing so. Throughout the history of man, God has taken the evil ones and used them to His Purpose, which at the end of the day is for the sake of goodness.

But for our purpose, deception is evil, and we should not be receptive to it. 1 Corinthians 15:33 says, “Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company ruins good morals.’” There are those among our leaders who are well-known and who’ve made deception into an art form. And they use their deception to mislead and try to mislead us away from God. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 says “For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.”

That time has come, and more so in certain places than in others. In certain places the governing authorities have shunned their responsibility to the general public. For them, it’s easier to govern people who don’t need to be governed than it is to govern the poor and needy. But does not the Bible say to help the poor and needy? And does not the Bible say that any governing authority who asserts that they govern under God should govern as if the Lord is telling them what to do?

Despite God’s treatment of Jacob, deception is evil. And those who give into it are just as culpable.
I

If Jacob confessed his deception to God he would be forgiven for it.

All of us have lied sometimes, maybe over small things but if we confessed to God and turns away from living a lifestyle of practicing deception, we are forgiven

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jacob also reaped what he sowed. Laban deceived him swapping Leah for Rachel. His sons deceived him about Josephs fate. Of all the typologies in OT scripture, Jacob seems to represent us.

Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God: Psalm 146:5
I

Yes, I think there can remain consequences for deception, certainly. If you stole money or committed insurance fraud or something the consequence may be you.get caught and punished by law, for example. one perspiration gets damaged. But God never withholds forgiveness when we gemuinely.confess and forsake our sins.

We cannot undo our past. We cannot change a mistake. Jacob could not give Esau his blessing back. All left to do after.we fall.is to confess to Jesus and not make that mistake again

• Agree
Reactions: Rachel20
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I once wrote an essay on the negative aspects of God - like the Hatred of God against sin. You read that here if you are interested.

I think Rahab's action is another example of sanctified deceit when she lied about where the spies were...
I

sounds interesting Carl. I must take a peek at the link

Upvote 0

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟113,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I just now read your essay, Carl.

If I may submit some concurring thoughts:

The New Testament’s meaning isn’t filled unless it’s accompanied by the Old Testament, so it’s
a good thing that a Christian Bible includes the Old Testament. After all, Christ came to fulfill the Law and the prophets, and in summing them up he said that not one iota is to be changed. So in believing in God through Lord Jesus, it is necessary to be sure what Jesus stands for in the words he conveys in the Bible. This richness may well come in handy in order to be prevented from being deceived away from the one true God, knowing that Jesus’ truths stem from God, our Creator at The Beginning, that a phony preacher doesn’t acknowledge and accept.

As for preaching versus teaching, I think teaching follows preaching in the case of those who hear of God’s Word for the first time. Declaring God’s glory comes first, and then comes the teaching of His Glory. In some cases, particularly in families with young children, preaching is accompanied by practical parental assertion if necessary, to get the child’s attention. Then as children grow up, they become more receptive to having a deeper understanding of what their parents have instilled on them.

So in the context of God, the manner and timing of the teaching is not the same as, say, teaching geometry, in the sense that one doesn’t associate a subject like that with proclamations. And, just like our antibodies become acquainted with certain diseases through vaccines, our learning of God through Jesus by teaching, acquaints us with the many forms that deception can take, that we will not fall for it spiritually or otherwise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pathfinder627

Sep 26, 2020
Texas
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

It isn't deception that's being promoted. Just Esau's sins making Jacob the default option. A less than perfect choice, but still better than Esau. Jacob was never declared outstanding in his own right, and the scriptures are completely honest about him being a weasel. The only reason why you can even talk about Jacob is because the scriptures plainly point out his flaws. It wasn't trying to build him up or say he was great. But Esau was worse. He valued his Canaanite wives who apparently caused grief for the family, and was just outright dismissive of his birthright. These are signs of a character who just wanted to go his own way. Not the type that was to build upon the legacy of the family.

Upvote 0