California
✟262,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have learned, as we all have, that God loves righteousness.

So what is righteousness?

We are all familiar with the definition of righteousness being “right standing with God”. I have thought that “right standing with God” is the “fruit of righteousness” and not righteousness itself. If that is true,(and I believe it is). Than what is righteousness? Well, I propose that righteousness is “that which is free from all disorder.” Let me explain;

God’s love have no disorder in it. God’s mercy has no disorder in it. God’s kindness has no disorder in it. All of God’s attributes have no disorder in them. That would also include righteousness. So God could justifiably be called “that Being that is free from all disorder”. (scripture also says “God is a God of order”) Than seeing how God is the “King of Righteousness.” That would make “righteousness that which is free from all disorder”.

These are just my meditations that I’d thought I’d share.

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Useful
Reactions: brinny

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We are all familiar with the definition of righteousness being “right standing with God”. I have thought that “right standing with God” is the “fruit of righteousness” and not righteousness itself. If that is true,(and I believe it is). Than what is righteousness? Well, I propose that righteousness is “that which is free from all disorder.” Let me explain;

God’s love have no disorder in it. God’s mercy has no disorder in it. God’s kindness has no disorder in it. All of God’s attributes have no disorder in them. That would also include righteousness. So God could justifiably be called “that Being that is free from all disorder”. (scripture also says “God is a God of order”) Than seeing how God is the “King of Righteousness.” That would make “righteousness that which is free from all disorder”.

1 John 3:7 says,
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

• Informative
Reactions: Not me
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I would call righteousness obedience to the Lord's commands. They have a purpose and are meant for our safekeeping.

• Useful
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Poverty of spirit, i.e. humility? Mourning for ones own sins as well as those of our neighbor? Meekness? Striving to accomplish all of God's commandments? Charity, love? Chastity, virginity, purity of heart? Reconciling men to God? Forgiving others, suffering for Christ's sake? Frugality, fasting, abstinence from all evil? Pure thoughts, undistracted prayer? Giving thanks, praising and glorifying God with lips, actions and inner thoughts and disposition? Simplicity, truthfulness, innocence?...

... and a lot more.

All qualities or virtues of God, un-created i.e. existing from all eternity, given to those who struggle and the subject matter of all the stories, commandments and prophecies of scripture.

• Informative
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Righteousness (justice)is an essential part of God's holy character. Ezra 9:15; Daniel 9:7.
For this reason, God is filled with righteous indignation toward sinners, and He has determined to punish sinners according to their evil deeds, Psalms 11:5-7; Hebrews 3:11; Ezekiel 18:4. This leaves mankind without hope in themselves, for although God provides a way of eternal life through the law, Deuteronomy 6:25, man cannot fulfill the law's righteous requirements for they are evil by nature, Jeremiah 13:23.
Their only hope of escape from God's righteous indignation for Him to show mercy.

Does this mean God forgives the sin of His people by dismissing the righteous requirements of the law? Does this also mean that God simply overlooks or forgets about the sin committed by His people? If so, then how can it be said that God is inherently righteous? For this reason, God laid the iniquity of His people on His righteous Son. Isaiah 53:6. For this reason, Jesus was pierced and bruised for the sins of wicked men. Isaiah 53:5 On the cross, Jesus became the curse of the law and therein satisfied God's righteous demand for retribution. Galatians 3:13
Moreover, the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus makes wicked men to be holy in the sight of God, 2 Corinthians 5:21. Faith in Jesus' death, and confidence in His righteousness gives the Christian a righteous standing in the court of Heaven, Philippians 3:9; Romans 1:16-17; Isaiah 61:10. This is what theologians call 'imputed' righteousness. The righteousness of Christ is imputed to the bankrupt account of the sinner.

There is also what theologians call the 'imparted' righteousness of Jesus. This refers to an actual righteousness effected upon the character of the believer. By this imparted righteousness, the believer is enabled to walk in newness of life, a righteous life. A flawed righteousness, but righteous to some degree nonetheless, Romans 6:4; Galatians 3:27; Ephesians 5:8; James 2:18; Matthew 5:48

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Righteousness (justice)is an essential part of God's holy character. Ezra 9:15; Daniel 9:7.
For this reason, God is filled with righteous indignation toward sinners, and He has determined to punish sinners according to their evil deeds, Psalms 11:5-7; Hebrews 3:11; Ezekiel 18:4. This leaves mankind without hope in themselves, for although God provides a way of eternal life through the law, Deuteronomy 6:25, man cannot fulfill the law's righteous requirements for they are evil by nature, Jeremiah 13:23.
Their only hope of escape from God's righteous indignation for Him to show mercy.

Does this mean God forgives the sin of His people by dismissing the righteous requirements of the law? Does this also mean that God simply overlooks or forgets about the sin committed by His people? If so, then how can it be said that God is inherently righteous? For this reason, God laid the iniquity of His people on His righteous Son. Isaiah 53:6. For this reason, Jesus was pierced and bruised for the sins of wicked men. Isaiah 53:5 On the cross, Jesus became the curse of the law and therein satisfied God's righteous demand for retribution. Galatians 3:13
Moreover, the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus makes wicked men to be holy in the sight of God, 2 Corinthians 5:21. Faith in Jesus' death, and confidence in His righteousness gives the Christian a righteous standing in the court of Heaven, Philippians 3:9; Romans 1:16-17; Isaiah 61:10. This is what theologians call 'imputed' righteousness. The righteousness of Christ is imputed to the bankrupt account of the sinner.

There is also what theologians call the 'imparted' righteousness of Jesus. This refers to an actual righteousness effected upon the character of the believer. By this imparted righteousness, the believer is enabled to walk in newness of life, a righteous life. A flawed righteousness, but righteous to some degree nonetheless, Romans 6:4; Galatians 3:27; Ephesians 5:8; James 2:18; Matthew 5:48

While Jesus certainly took on the sins of the world so we can come to Him in forgiveness of our past old life, that does not mean the grace of God is a license for sin. We cannot continue to keep sinning and believe in Jesus and think we are saved by a mere belief alone. James says we are also justified by works and not by faith only (See James 2:24).

This would be God's works done through the believer (mentioned in Philippians 2:13), and not Man's works (that is mentioned in Ephesians 2:8-9).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:10 says,
"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

Are ya doin' righteousness?
If not, according to 1 John 3:10, you are not of God.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
James says we are also justified by works and not by faith only (See James 2:24).

This would be God's works done through the believer (mentioned in Philippians 2:13), and not Man's works (that is mentioned in Ephesians 2:8-9).
You are right, no works=no salvation, but we need to be careful to maintain the biblical distinction between justification and sanctification. justification has to do with the basis of our legal position before God (faith), while sanctification has to with the evidence of that position (works).
Paul makes it very clear that the basis of salvation (justification) is through faith and not works at all. Romans 3:28
He cleverly draws this out from the life of Abraham emphasizing that Abraham was not justified by his works, but by his faith. Romans 4:3-5

Understanding this will help us to grasp James' point in the second chapter of his epistle.

James chapter 2 is about showing people through our sanctification, the evidence of our justification. The demons believe, but are they justified? We can conclude with a resounding NO because we see that they tremble. You say that you have faith. Big deal, I can show you that I am justified by what I do.
Then James uses the same Scripture Paul did regarding Abraham's righteousness through faith as an example of how Abraham's sanctification was evidence of his justification. James 2:23
Then, James concludes with verse 24, "You see that a man is justified by what he does and not merely by what he believes". In other words, James is not saying works are the basis of man's justification, but are the evidence of justification. James and Paul are in agreement.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are right, no works=no salvation, but we need to be careful to maintain the biblical distinction between justification and sanctification. justification has to do with the basis of our legal position before God (faith), while sanctification has to with the evidence of that position (works).
Paul makes it very clear that the basis of salvation (justification) is through faith and not works at all. Romans 3:28
He cleverly draws this out from the life of Abraham emphasizing that Abraham was not justified by his works, but by his faith. Romans 4:3-5

Understanding this will help us to grasp James' point in the second chapter of his epistle.

James chapter 2 is about showing people through our sanctification, the evidence of our justification. The demons believe, but are they justified? We can conclude with a resounding NO because we see that they tremble. You say that you have faith. Big deal, I can show you that I am justified by what I do.
Then James uses the same Scripture Paul did regarding Abraham's righteousness through faith as an example of how Abraham's sanctification was evidence of his justification. James 2:23
Then, James concludes with verse 24, "You see that a man is justified by what he does and not merely by what he believes". In other words, James is not saying works are the basis of man's justification, but are the evidence of justification. James and Paul are in agreement.
Abraham is the father of faith so it stands to reason that justification also comes thru abraham, justifying his children in his many descendants. Grace is thru Isaac who represents the promise and his wasn't a works based life but one of receiving. The promise is toward the new jerusalem as pointed out in Galatians 4. God is the God of both Abraham and Isaac. God is also the God of Jacob who's progeny extended to Joseph and that was where the work base of sanctification comes in. That's the outward expression of the inward journey.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God’s pursuit of righteousness.

What first caught my attention is the title of the thread.

Would you mind elaborating on what is meant by God's "pursuit" of righteousness?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What you are saying here is a contradiction. In the first half of your post you are saying works are not necessary for salvation but then in the second half of your post you say that works are necessary for salvation.

Let me make this really simple for you.

If works were truly not necessary for salvation in any way, then can you be unfruitful for the Lord in this life and do evil and be saved? Yes, or no? Can you not help the poor in this life as a part of the faith and spit on them and be saved (as long as you have a belief that Jesus is your Savior)? See in order for your belief in Justification alone (i.e. a belief in Jesus alone for salvation) to be true, you would have to believe that no amount of good works (like loving the poor, or your enemy or loving God) and no amount of sin can keep you from entering Heaven.

I mean, when you read the Bible, how in the world do you make sense of the words of Jesus when He says things like this?

"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 23)

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What you are saying here is a contradiction. In the first half of your post you are saying works are not necessary for salvation but then in the second half of your post you say that works are necessary for salvation.

Let me make this really simple for you.

If works were truly not necessary for salvation in any way, then can you be unfruitful for the Lord in this life and do evil and be saved? Yes, or no? Can you not help the poor in this life as a part of the faith and spit on them and be saved (as long as you have a belief that Jesus is your Savior)? See in order for your belief in Justification alone (i.e. a belief in Jesus alone for salvation) to be true, you would have to believe that no amount of good works (like loving the poor, or your enemy or loving God) and no amount of sin can keep you from entering Heaven.

I mean, when you read the Bible, how in the world do you make sense of the words of Jesus when He says things like this?

"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 23)
Please read the Statement of Purpose for deeper fellowship that states debates are to be taken to debate forums. You ought to open a thread there for non-fellowshipping debates.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deeper Fellowship Statement of Purpose

The Deeper Fellowship forum is a place for members to have peaceful, uplifting, encouraging, and safe interactions with fellow believers. The focus of this forum is on the love of Christ and all that He has done for us, giving us access to the Father through Him as we are guided by the Holy Spirit. Those who choose to participate in this forum are looking for a deeper walk with the Lord through fellowship with His family.

This forum is not the place to discuss or debate church practices, specific church leaders, interpretations of Scripture or theological topics. If you would like to discuss or debate any of these topics please do so in the appropriate forum. Please remember that personal Prophecy (prophetic utterance) is considered off-topic to all site forums; these may be posted in your own personal Blog or the Christian Forums Blogs.

It's alright to discuss Scripture if it's done in the spirit of fellowship and praise and not with the intention of getting into a debate about the interpretation of Scripture or theological topics. We would like this forum to remain a place where Christian members from all denominations can find pure, simple, and uncomplicated love of our Savior and of our family in Him.

If you feel that a post may violate the rules of this SoP, or the sitewide rules, please report the post instead of responding to it. If you have issues with another member and can't work it out, or are disgruntled about a staff decision, please click on the "Support" tab in the header navigation bar, or "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page, and open a new support ticket to discuss the situation with a CF Administrator. Discussion of members or staff actions in the forums is considered disruptive and can result in additional staff actions.

CF staff reserves the right to edit, remove, move or close any thread when deemed necessary. All posts must adhere to the Christian Forums sitewide rules

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please read the Statement of Purpose for deeper fellowship that states debates are to be taken to debate forums. You ought to open a thread there for non-fellowshipping debates.

Sorry about that. I did not look to see what section I was in. I just clicked on the recent threads side bar.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Someone may think we did that on purpose; but twas coincidental posting. Meant for all posting here debating or posting a opposing view of the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone may think we did that on purpose; but twas coincidental posting. Meant for all posting here debating or posting a opposing view of the OP.
It's nice to see that mods are taking the initiative. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The OP hasn't asked for it to be moved; and I was just posting the SOP for members to be aware of it.
I've seen many threads moved or closed that violate any given forum. I don't think the person who started the thread is the one who responsible to move it if the results are contradictory to the forum? Does everyone need to report it if there are mods viewing?

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
upload_2018-3-21_11-9-52.jpeg