✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prayers!

I don't know if I'm in much of a position to help.

Fasting ... in the beginning, it is just a chore. Or it was for me. It wasn't until I got into Great Lent and real struggles of all kinds that I suddenly saw the immense benefit I was gaining. But that was at least 4-5 months or so after being baptized. Since then I have seen other times of great benefit and have learned to treasure thus discipline.

It's there. Believe me. You just have to stick with it.

The co-worker ... source of an ongoing temptation, pulling at you, constantly, right there, day by day? To my mind, that's a problem. Can you distance yourself from that? Not listen, be somewhere else, change the subject, maybe even go full all-out Jesus freak on them (at least in conversational response) if that would stop it? To me that sounds like something you don't need to deal with at this point.

Have you talked to the priest?

Do you read any Orthodox spiritual books, practice the Jesus prayer, or listen to podcasts? I would suggest the books and/or podcasts to start getting your mind going in a different direction. Maybe lives of the Saints, like a full-on biography? Some spiritual counsels might sound too hard to hear right now. Maybe a book like The Jesus Prayer by St. Brianchaninov? If you can ask the priest for suggestions, if you think he understands your situation yet?

Do you pray morning and evening? Ask your priest, but I was told (and found it very helpful) to take a few moments a few times a day and just pray the Our Father to redirect myself. The Jesus Prayer can be helpful when temptation strikes.

All of this is "talk to your priest" stuff though. Just offering some basic suggestions to think about in the meantime.

God be with you. Prayers!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lord have mercy!

and welcome to the club. the whole point of the Orthodox ascetic life is to break us down. the old Adam dies kicking and screaming, and the demons hate that they lost you, so they all will come after you.

when you fall, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and point toward the Kingdom again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our journey is difficult. I am a single, hetero, male but I realized that I had to not commit adultery when I became Christian prior to being fully Orthodox. This should be realized by any professing Christian. ( Matthew 5:27-28 ).
I also think I more truly respect women now more than before.

When it comes to fasting, I think the vegetarian part is most important. In dairy, I always at least abstain from milk which is something I ordinarily use for sound nutrition and economically.I have a night shift warehouse job; sometimes I will eat pizza for lunch during fasts like Lent or Nativity.

Just something another struggling sinner does.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0