What Does the Bible Say About Garden Gnomes? Can Christians Have Them?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This probably sounds like a dumb question but I’m into crafting, and the craze now is making gnomes. So far I’ve made two. Since gnomes are considered magical, is it a sin in the LCMS to make and or collect them?

Inky option it is as sinful as making any graven image.

Do you worship any of the figures you have made in the past?
Do you intend to worship any of the figures you plan to make in the future?

If the answer is No to both questions, how are they sinful?

• Agree
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I worked in Steiner for a few years, where crafting gnomes is very common. I think if you make it as a cute toy, to be decorative or played with simply as a toy, then it is a cute toy. But if you do it as a spiritual activity with the intention of using it as a spiritual object in spiritual surroundings with people who understand the spiritual aspects and links then it is dodgy for a Christian. I guess I wouldn't make them now even if they're trendy cos I'd always be seeing it through a Steiner lens, but I suspect pretty much nobody else would care!

Upvote 0

Gwendolynz

Dec 25, 2019
Portland, OR
✟17,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
This probably sounds like a dumb question but I’m into crafting, and the craze now is making gnomes. So far I’ve made two. Since gnomes are considered magical, is it a sin in the LCMS to make and or collect them?

This is just my opinion. In the Commandments it says "No Craven Images". There are lots of versions of the Bible and the Second Commandment may be worded so that it is permissible? The Mormons have an Angel on top of their Temples. Other churches have the image of Jesus Christ. Muslims say no image of any living thing. You choose.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I just think they’re cute. I’ve named them

Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

This is basically right. As long as you don't actually believe they're magical, it's not sinful.

Per Romans 14 however, do be careful. For example, if there is a small child around who might take your cute sayings as believing they're magical, it's good to make it clear you don't believe that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is basically right. As long as you don't actually believe they're magical, it's not sinful.

Per Romans 14 however, do be careful. For example, if there is a small child around who might take your cute sayings as believing they're magical, it's good to make it clear you don't believe that.

no,I know they aren’t magical.....they are made of socks, bean bag filler and embellishments. :)

Upvote 0

Gwendolynz

Dec 25, 2019
Portland, OR
✟17,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
no,I know they aren’t magical.....they are made of socks, bean bag filler and embellishments. :)

I can't criticise. I still observe certain things that are between God and I. It is doubtful that others will understand.

Upvote 0

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Unless you're worshiping these gnomes as idols, praying to them making sacrifices to them. Then this is not a sin. You need not worry or be concerned. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a legalist and false teacher.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless you're worshiping these gnomes as idols, praying to them making sacrifices to them. Then this is not a sin. You need not worry or be concerned. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a legalist and false teacher.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,036.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Respectfully, with all of the ills that the LCMS and LCC are currently facing, unless people are venerating or worshiping these, there are way bigger fish to fry.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,036.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What ills?
In LCMS, you hear a lot of good news about big Churches and Church planting. You hear very little about struggling Churches that are barely being kept alive through the use of "dedicated Mission money", money that is given by people with the intent that it goes to spreading the Gospel, not as life support for a rapidly shrinking demographic(s). Then we have the thinly veiled pro Christian, but anti traditionalist Government who's Zionist agenda continues to cause strife for the middle east and western peoples. In Canada, we have fight secular humanistic governments that have set Christianity against everything we espouse. In Canada and the US, both of our federal governments are controlled by Narcacistic ego maniacs; ours a failed drama teacher.

What ills indeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In LCMS, you hear a lot of good news about big Churches and Church planting. You hear very little about struggling Churches that are barely being kept alive through the use of "dedicated Mission money", money that is given by people with the intent that it goes to spreading the Gospel, not as life support for a rapidly shrinking demographic(s). Then we have the thinly veiled pro Christian, but anti traditionalist Government who's Zionist agenda continues to cause strife for the middle east and western peoples. In Canada, we have fight secular humanistic governments that have set Christianity against everything we espouse. In Canada and the US, both of our federal governments are controlled by Narcacistic ego maniacs; ours a failed drama teacher.

What ills indeed.

Oh.

Upvote 0