May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have to respectfully disagree. I'm working on another blog post at the moment which will have more information as to why. Basically, there is a broad spectrum of gluten sensitivity and celiac disease and gastrointerologists are just now on the CUSP of finding all of us that are affected by gluten and figuring out how to diagnose us. :sorry:

I know! it's crazy isn't it!

Yeshua compares himself to the 'bread of life'. Of course there are all kinds of attacks against wheat and bread by the enemy.

My sister-in-law is an expert on the topic. Here is one of her upcoming speaking engagements. She debunks much of the nonsense that is going around.

993666_683958114965415_1425613168_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
subscribing to this and planning to read this thread later. i have a son who is gluten sensitive and one of the challenges i face is making a good cookie that tastes good and doesnt crumble

I think they cover cookies in Gluten Free 201

It is one of the gluten free cooking videos filmed at my brother's studio kitchen.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"not approved" does not equal "not present". Many news articles have shown that GMO wheat has indeed spread in the states.

I think that, whatever the case may be, scientists have hybridized wheat to the extent that, for all practical purposes, their DNA is completely different than the wheat YHWH made and intended for man to eat.

If you don't want the cross breed wheat varieties, use an ancient version like Kamut. I tend to use a mixture of hard red, hard white and kamut for my baking or I use Ezekiel mix for things like waffles.

Your statement is nonsense IMO. That is like saying that dogs, because they are now separated into different breeds are no longer dogs. They are all still the same species and only have a very small amount of difference in their dna.

Crossing different varieties of the same species doesn't add new genes. Inbreeding doesn't add new genes, it makes certain genes dominant by narrowing the gene pool.

All varieties of wheat came from the same source, creation. Wheat is one of the most nutritious foods for us and why Yeshua compares himself to it. We are warned NOT to eat the bread of idolness or the danties of the king (ie white flour). The problem isn't with the wheat but with the modern day food processing industry whose goal is profit, not consumer health. The health problems in the USA are directly proportional to the advent of modern rolling mills to mass produce white flour.

I suggest you order one of my sister-in-laws FREE teaching CDs from their website, the Bread of Idleness CD.

Bread of Idleness CD

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sue Becker said:
A KERNEL OF TRUTH

With wheat, as well as other grains and gluten, receiving such bad press in the health food world and beyond, I will try, over the next few months, to address some of the arguments coming against the most nutrient dense food group God has given us. Since the facts are inexhaustible and I am continuously learning, I thought it best to present information in short segments instead of one long treatise. I know you may think I am biased, and perhaps I am, but for a reason. I assure you, I will tirelessly research the subject, as I have for more than 20 years, to get to the truth.

First Things First - An Understanding of Gluten

When the steel rolling mills came on the scene in the early 1900's, they quickly replaced all other large scale milling methods. Today, commercially milled flour, whether whole grain, whole wheat or white, is all milled the same way. Massive volumes of long lasting white flour are easily produced by removing the oils and sifting the bran and germ away from the endosperm. To "make" whole wheat flour, some of these components are simply recombined. There are no legal standards for the term "whole wheat", and products labeled "whole wheat" may actually contain only some of the bran and germ originally found in the wheat berry. Usually the oil is completely removed from the flour for shelf stability and "whole wheat bread" may be nothing more than white flour with brown coloring added for the appearance of whole grain.

In the past 10 years or so, with the increasing demand for a return to whole grain flour a legal standard was developed for products labeled "whole grain". "Whole grain" therefore is a legal term and must meet a legal standard of fiber to flour ratio. Commercially milled whole grain flour, however, is "produced" by recombining the bran and germ with the white flour according to this legal standard. This is not necessarily the product you would get if you simply ground the grain and used the flour in its entirety with out any separating and recombining.

The "white flour" portion of the wheat kernel, known as the endosperm, is basically protein and starch and has very little vitamin and mineral content. The protein portion of white flour is known as gluten. Gluten is nothing more than a long strand of amino acids, the building blocks of protein, known mostly for giving good rising ability to bread dough. Nevertheless gluten has nutritional value as the protein component of whole grains, just as any other protein source in other foods. Protein is a vital nutrient to good health.

Gluten is not the bad guy it is being made out to be. As stated, it is the naturally occurring amino acid structure (protein component) found in most grains, particularly wheat. This naturally occurring protein is actually the predominate dietary source of important amino acids, such as glutamic acid and glutamine. Both are critical nutrients for supporting good brain function. Glutamic acid picks up ammonia throughout the body to then be excreted by the kidneys, thus protecting the brain from excessive ammonia. Glutamine has been known to improve intelligence and raise the I.Q. of the mentally [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. It is presently being used in the treatment of alcoholism as a corrective nutrient to diminish the desire and craving for alcohol.

But herein lays the problem. Gluten can be separated from the starchy portion of the endosperm and is used abundantly in commercial food production, even in "non bread" processed foods such as soy sauce and taco seasonings. Even though gluten is a component of white flour, this extracted form is not considered flour at all. Gluten can therefore be added, often liberally, to commercially prepared baked goods. Even those legally labeled 100% "whole grain" will often have gluten as the 3rd or 4th ingredient. This addition significantly alters the fiber to flour ratio of the original "whole grain" flour.

What we must now realize is that these "whole grain" products found on the grocery shelves are not much better than their white flour counterparts and that one will not experience significant health benefits from consuming these supposedly "healthier" whole grain options. So it is easy to understand the many disclaimers concerning the health benefits of these "whole grain" products.

But here is where the confusion must end. It is our over consumption of gluten, separated from the other vital components of the whole grain, and our inability to digest gluten, that indeed has a serious health implication. White bread and white flour (which is nothing more than gluten and starch) and the isolated gluten used in abundance in many processed foods is the problem. Many gut related issues and celiac symptoms (villi destruction) are now being experience by many. But we must remember that it is one's inability to digest gluten that is the problem and not the gluten itself. Often this poor digestion can be corrected with proper nutrition and support, unless of course you are born with these inabilities, as in the case of celiac.

I am in no way implying that gluten related health issues are not real. I am also not trying to oversimplify a serious health concern. But to vilify gluten, a naturally occurring protein structure, is about as ridiculous as vilifying milk or eggs because someone can not digest them. I can not reiterate this fact enough, that it is the inability to digest gluten that is the problem.

The answer is not, necessarily, the elimination of all grains or gluten (unless of course you are a true celiac) but to return to real whole grains, eaten the way God created them. True whole grains, eaten in their whole form or freshly ground into flour, with nothing added and absolutely nothing removed, is very different nutritionally from the commercially produced "whole grain" products. True whole grains will reduce cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar and prevent obesity by satisfying one's appetite.

One must also take steps to heal the gut and clean up the undigested protein with the addition of good cultured foods and probiotics. It is interesting to note that glutamine, an amino acid found in gluten, is known for its gut healing properties. Perhaps one may also want to consume more of the ancient grains, such as spelt, kamut, barley and oats, instead of wheat, as they are somewhat easier to digest. (See our new cookbook Ancient Grains for Modern Meals by Maria Speck - who, by the way, is not fat at all and has absolutely no "wheat belly")

I will continue this discussion in the next newsletter, but for now, I will say that indefinitely eliminating grains or even gluten from one's diet could be a dangerous mistake, except in the case of a true celiac or for a limited time for healing. In times of famine, whole grains have historically been a most reliable food. Grains are nutrient dense and completely storable. In these difficult times we face as a nation, with more and more concern about economic disaster, I will have to say that the anti-grain propaganda being spread by many is very concerning. Use great caution before jumping on these bandwagons - you cannot argue with common sense, the test of time, and Biblical wisdom.

To be continued...

An article from my sister-in-law's website.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Your statement is nonsense IMO. That is like saying that dogs, because they are now separated into different breeds are no longer dogs. They are all still the same species and only have a very small amount of difference in their dna.

Crossing different varieties of the same species doesn't add new genes. Inbreeding doesn't add new genes, it makes certain genes dominant by narrowing the gene pool.

All varieties of wheat came from the same source, creation. Wheat is one of the most nutritious foods for us and why Yeshua compares himself to it. We are warned NOT to eat the bread of idolness or the danties of the king (ie white flour). The problem isn't with the wheat but with the modern day food processing industry whose goal is profit, not consumer health. The health problems in the USA are directly proportional to the advent of modern rolling mills to mass produce white flour.
I never said anything about new genes being added. I am speaking about how gene expressions can be completely different in a hybrid as compared to either parent.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

Yeshua compares himself to the 'bread of life'. Of course there are all kinds of attacks against wheat and bread by the enemy.
And I'm to gather that this includes some of us being genetically disposed to reacting to all of the types of gluten containing grains? :sorry:

My sister-in-law is an expert on the topic. ... She debunks much of the nonsense that is going around...

I've got doctors handling my condition and I'm reading the up and coming medical journals, dietetics and nutrition studies from the US, UK and Germany. :thumbsup: I don't generally read bunk on the subject. It just wastes time and effort. Thanks though. :cool:

If she has a website, I'd be happy to give it the once over. :)

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously thinking of trying a gluten free diet because of longstanding bowel problems and accompanying pain that is severe at times.

How long do you think I would have to be free of Gluten to notice whether or not it is beneficial?

Faithfully,

:groupray:

I went on the GF diet last December. I lost about 16 pounds within one month and lost a total of 40 pounds over an 8 month period. Now in my 9th month on this diet, I have not re-gained one ounce. This despite retaining my rather generous appetite.

Please give it time - don't expect weight loss or stomach relief over night. It will take some time but it is likely that you will see some relief within one month.

I wish you the best and many years of good health!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some interesting news, Hubby returned from the store and they were out of Udi's muffins, but he found some Pillsbury GF muffins. I'm waiting to try one but this is news to me and thought I'd share it.

I looked it up and if you go to the site you can get a $1 off coupon to try. They also have doughs too. And I was just in the store the other day and saw these regular kind and wished that there was a GF dough like that to make all kinds of goodies quickly. And now there Is! Can't wait to try.

If you have, let us know what you think. once I try it I'll post back.

Pillsbury Gluten Free

They have

Pie and Pastry dough (the only one I'd ever heard of and used and liked was from Katz_)
Pizza Dough
Cookie Dough

Oh, and they're OU Kosher certified too!

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And I'm to gather that this includes some of us being genetically disposed to reacting to all of the types of gluten containing grains? :sorry:
That was not my meaning. I was referring to the constant attacks in the media about how bad grains/bread are. For example, the best selling 'Wheat Belly' book is the latest wave or blaming obesity on grains.

Another is people seeing gluten as evil when only a small percentage of the population are true celiacs.

Now is your medical condition another attack from the enemy? I will leave that up to you to determine.

I've got doctors handling my condition and I'm reading the up and coming medical journals, dietetics and nutrition studies from the US, UK and Germany. :thumbsup: I don't generally read bunk on the subject. It just wastes time and effort. Thanks though. :cool:

If she has a website, I'd be happy to give it the once over. :)

The website is their business website as a grain, mill and kitchen store Welcome to The Bread Beckers - Woodstock GA Natural Foods Cookbooks Georgia Nutritional Education or check out 'breadbeckers' on facebook. Sue have many of her articles posted there. Sue does speaking engagements and does most of the cooking classes in their studio kitchen at the store. Providing the health benefits of fresh ground whole grains is the purpose. It grew into a large business that started out of their garage.

She speaks at things like home school curriculum fairs or church sponsored health and wellness conferences all over the south. It focuses on what the Word has to say about healthy eating as well as her scientific knowledge. Generally she is known through out the southeast. She has been speaking in Alabama in the past week and doing Florida next.

Since grain is their primary business, dealing with all aspects of the health issues concerning grain is her primary focus as a nutritionist and microbiologist in food science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

MessianicMommy

That was not my meaning. I was referring to the constant attacks in the media about how bad grains/bread are. For example, the best selling 'Wheat Belly' book is the latest wave or blaming obesity on grains.
I hope you don't feel like I'm picking you apart. I really do want to address this. IF someone has the wide spectrum of celiac (including gluten intolerance or non-celiac gluten sensitivity), they can either be scarily thin, or they can be quite obese.

Obese patients with celiac are often overlooked. The newest studies say that they should be the first patients we look at, along with those with mental health issues.

These are not far-fetched ideas or things promoted by quack science.

Here's Dr Murray from the Mayo Clinic discussing obesity and celiac:

[youtube]ZJd9SAs2IzE[/youtube]

Celiac is a whole body disorder. It doesn't just affect the gut. Due to the way our bodies do not absorb nutrients, it can cause so many issues.

I'd be happy to share reputable papers if you're interested.

Upvote 0

whitebeaches

Legend
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2007
✟144,700.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i have heard gluten can be added in caramel color of sodas.

so i make my son his own. here are two recipes given to me. if any one has a
mock coke one id love to have it,

lemon-lime soda

1/4 cup simple syrup (see recipe below)
12 oz can seltzer water
3 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice

combine and pour over a glass with ice.

simple syrup recipe:

combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup of water in pan.
cook on low heat stirring often until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is clear.
the extra can be stored in the fridge for use at a later time.

heres another one

vanilla soda

1/4 cup simple syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
12 ounce can seltzer water

combine all ingredients and pour into glass

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I hope you don't feel like I'm picking you apart. I really do want to address this. IF someone has the wide spectrum of celiac (including gluten intolerance or non-celiac gluten sensitivity), they can either be scarily thin, or they can be quite obese.

Obese patients with celiac are often overlooked. The newest studies say that they should be the first patients we look at, along with those with mental health issues.

These are not far-fetched ideas or things promoted by quack science.

Here's Dr Murray from the Mayo Clinic discussing obesity and celiac:

Celiac is a whole body disorder. It doesn't just affect the gut. Due to the way our bodies do not absorb nutrients, it can cause so many issues.

I'd be happy to share reputable papers if you're interested.
It isn't really my area of study but my sister-in-law. Im an engineer but am somewhat familiar with it due to the family business. While being out of work, I have worked with them to make grain deliveries to co-ops all over the southeast for several years.

One of their employees is celiac. She is the author of "Mommy and Me, Gluten Free" and teaches their gluten free classes.

Now as I understand it, many people do suffer from gluten issues because of the overuse of gluten in commercially produced foods/breads. If they did let their guts heal, and stop the major overuse of gluten, and get their gut bacteria back in shape, they handle normal levels of gluten just fine.

Many commercial foods use flour yet add extra gluten which is not classified as flour. Even with the legal term 'whole grain' on labeling, it isn't just the contents of the ground whole grain but a legal formula of starch, bran and germ but they can add as much extra gluten as they wish.

To get true 'whole grain', you have to grind your own fresh and it goes rancid in a matter of days due to oxidation. That is the benefit of owning your own mill and getting your own grains. Once the flour is made into a bread product, it stops that process since the bread is filled with carbon dioxide bubbles.

Now the Breadbeckers carries many of the gluten free grains such as: Amaranth, Buckwheat, Brown Rice, Corn, Millet, Oats, Quinoa, Sorghum, Teff as well as many beans you can grind into flour.

One a funny side note. When they sent the family bakery bread for nutritional testing for the labeling, the lab was astonished at the vitamin E content of the bread and asked what they added to give 100% of the daily dose in each slice of bread. The response was, they milled the wheat in house prior to making the bread.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

Yes, I'm well acquainted with how to plant, harvest, dry, prepare and make artisan breads. Sadly, it's just not some information that I can use any longer other than to reference.

FYI, the Gluten 201 video references spelt as safe for people who are gluten free. It is absolutely not safe for people who have celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. ALL forms of wheat, barley and rye are off limits. All of them damage our guts. However, if one is not NCGS or Celiac, but *wheat allergic*, they can have Spelt. I cannot begin to tell you how dangerous spelt is for us.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
i have heard gluten can be added in caramel color of sodas.

so i make my son his own. here are two recipes given to me. if any one has a
mock coke one id love to have it,

lemon-lime soda

1/4 cup simple syrup (see recipe below)
12 oz can seltzer water
3 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice

combine and pour over a glass with ice.

simple syrup recipe:

combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup of water in pan.
cook on low heat stirring often until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is clear.
the extra can be stored in the fridge for use at a later time.

heres another one

vanilla soda

1/4 cup simple syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
12 ounce can seltzer water

combine all ingredients and pour into glass

For US purchasing only

Coke and Coca-Cola. According to the Coca-Cola Co., the following Coke-branded products are considered gluten-free to 20ppm in the U.S.: Coca-Cola, caffeine-free Coca-Cola Classic, Coca-Cola Zero, Cherry, Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Cherry Coke Zero, Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Diet Coke Plus, caffeine-free Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Splenda, and Diet Coke with Lime.

Pepsi. All Pepsi-branded carbonated sodas, including Diet Pepsi, Pepsi NEXT and Pepsi One, are considered gluten-free to 20ppm.

How to Make OpenCola

you can leave out the caramel coloring and the caffeine in this recipe.

Once you read the recipes however you will know why coke has been used to clean toilets! You are better off giving him some natural brewed root beer that is gluten free.

This is the only soda I drink on occasion.

It has no caffeine and is made with organic flavorings not artificial.

It is sold mainly in health food stores and other specialty food stores such as Whole Foods Market, Cost Plus World Market and Trader Joe's. As of Oct 22, 2011 Costco in Issaquah, Washington sells 24-bottle cases. It can also be found in health food sections in stores such as Kroger, and Fred Meyer.

It is micro brewed so it is well watched over in small batches.

With 100% natural ingredients imported from all corners of the world. Gluten free. Originally brewed in the north of England, Virgil's is made with natural ingredients - nutmeg, imported anise, and wintergreen. The brewing process gives Virgil's a rich, creamy body and a taste so pure, you'll swear it's made in heaven. Winner of the International Fancy Food and Confection Show's Outstanding Beverage Award in 1994 and 1996. Contains no preservatives and no caffeine.
Ingredients Virgil's is a Superb Blend of Spiced & Herbs Gathered From the World Over, Anise, Licorice, Vanilla (Bourbon) Cinnamon, Clove, Wintergreen, Sweet Birch, Molasses, Nutmeg, Pimento Berry Oil, Balsam Oil and Oil of Cassia. Contains Purified Carbonated Water, Unbleached Cane Sugar, Caramelized Unrefined Cane Sugar, Herbs, Spices and Citric Acid.

It is pricey, but should be used at an occasional treat like any other sweet drink. It makes great root beer floats too.

They also make and Orange Cream, a Vanilla Cream, and a Black Cherry Cream. All are delicious!

Upvote 0