Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know what to name this thread so it's a bit long but I realized that we have at least four regular members here that are on a GF diet and I thought we could use this thread to share our experiences, foods, recipes, and other related things with each other.

Anyone that knows someone with Celiac or if you are just on a GF diet without Celiac, please feel free to join in (members of this forum only please).

It was this forum where I found out that I had Celiac and it has helped me tremendously so I want to pass that on.

:)

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For those with a Kindle (or online Kindle from Amazon) here's a free book right now.

It is a VOOK so it comes with video if you read it online.

Gluten-Free, Hassle-Free: Planning and Cooking Simple Gluten-Free Meals (Enhanced Version) [Kindle Edition with Audio/Video]

A gluten-free diet isn’t just for people with food allergies; it’s a new way of eating that can benefit everyone. Download “Gluten-Free, Hassle-Free” now and discover tasty, easy-to-make, and entirely gluten-free recipes for your busy life. This complete digital guide will focus on memorable meal ideas that you can do quickly and without much practice. You’ll also get gluten-free cooking tips that will come in handy, whether you’re transitioning to gluten-free for health, weight loss, or allergies.
This Vook helps you prepare a gluten-free kitchen and terrific recipes from stuffed Arepas to Blackened Mahi Mahi. Tips and nutritional facts throughout support each meal idea.
You’ll get:

• Getting Started Tips for Gluten-Free Cooking
  • Strategy for Stocking your Kitchen
  • Easy Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
  • Easy Gluten-Free Bread Recipes
  • Easy Gluten-Free Appetizer Recipes
  • Easy Gluten-Free Entrée Recipes
  • Easy Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes
…and more!

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My indian coworker makes these doughnuts, i am serious you can never tell they are not wheatflour based, but Dal -some kind of dried lentil, like pea or bean or such, soaked and grinded. Can be bought at indian grocers.
Because they are vegetarians, and wheat/grains never really grew there historically, they got some interesting ideas..

Medu Wada: The Indian Savory Doughnut | Beyond Curries

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's a new book at Amazon free right now. It has a compilation of articles written for wiki on Celiac and gluten free eating.

The Celiac Disease Story

Included are the following Wikipedia articles, formatted for the Kindle. Included are diseases which have symptoms similar to celiac disease.

1. Celiac Disease (celiac sprue)

2. Gluten-free diet, the primary method of treating celiac disease

3. Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI), presents with symptoms similar to celiac disease, as do those in the following chapters

4. Crohn’s Disease

5. Whipple’s Disease

6. Tropical Sprue

7. Hypergammaglobulinemia

8. Pancreatic Disease

It is FREE as of this posting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is better to use a mix. GF flours are more expensive because they are lesser grown species.

What are you trying to make? Bisquick has a GF baking mix that is really good and easy to use. I've made pancakes of course, and they are fluffier than the other mixes. Also the dumplings I've made, I'm told taste like the originals. :)

There are many flours we use. In my baking cupboard for instance you will find:

Rice flour, brown, white and sweet
Buckwheat flour (which is not of the wheat family, it is a berry, not a grain)
Sorghum
Garbanzo bean
Millet
Quinoa
Teff
Corn flour and Corn meal
Oat flour (uncontaminated)
Nut flours, Hazelnut and Almond
Tapioca Starch
Potato Starch and flour

There's probably more, but that's off the top of my head. I also use Pamela's bread and pancakes baking mixes, and Bob's Red mill.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmmm.....what about your menu for Pesach?

I use approved Celiac Society approved communion bread (1 part per million gluten trace elements, apparently) these days for a few parishners (it is expensive, so everyone else gets normal unleavened bread) and it seems to be going well.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

My indian coworker makes these doughnuts, i am serious you can never tell they are not wheatflour based, but Dal -some kind of dried lentil, like pea or bean or such, soaked and grinded. Can be bought at indian grocers.
Because they are vegetarians, and wheat/grains never really grew there historically, they got some interesting ideas..

Medu Wada: The Indian Savory Doughnut | Beyond Curries
That looks great! :thumbsup:

Urid Dal iirc are lentils. I never could really come up with a great use for them outside of soup until I discovered Indian and Pakistani food.

I can't afford the Shemura matzah and it won't be sent anyhow unless I have a rabbi vouching for me.

Mostly we stick with a half Sephardi half Non-gebrokts menu.
The reasoning behind this is, The children and I would be limited only to fruit/veg/dairy/meat and potato starch otherwise. With my vitamin deficiencies, and the fact this would severely limit vitamins/minerals in the kids diet; I cannot do that. So, we had to make the decision to eat well and not suffer during the holiday. Corn, Rice, beans, lentils and peas are back on the menu, and we did really well last year. I didn't feel like I was fasting the entire time, and it was easier to meal plan.

I've not found a home made matzah that works. I've tried at least 10 different GF recipes too. :(
However, I found some non-gebrokts bread we were able to make that was 100% gluten free, and we used it to remember matzah, which we cannot have.

Same as Tu B'shevat seders who call for wheat and barley - we do something else and remember those two grains we can't even touch without a reaction.

I understand this makes it difficult for some to come to our home due to the way we observe the holiday, but I figure it's a trade off I can handle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I use approved Celiac Society approved communion bread (1 part per million gluten trace elements, apparently) these days for a few parishners (it is expensive, so everyone else gets normal unleavened bread) and it seems to be going well.
I too can't afford the Rabbi's matzah, does your bread have yeast in it?

For the Seder I do make my own matzah using uncontaminated oats that I grind up and add some pomegranate juice to. This I roll out and quickly get into a hot oven. All that have tasted it agreed that it's not bad at all.

I use GF gefilte fish, and non-gebrokts noodles. Cheesecake with a nut crust is a great dessert, and meats and veggies are all safe.

I did try last year to make matzoh balls with my GF matzah and it wasn't bad. But I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Just happy to have some things to eat.

For bread for the rest of the week we use something called corn thins, made only with compressed popped corn, flat and only about 1/8".

For those looking for GF Gefilte I have found two brands that make it in jars.

Rokeach Gefilte Fish Heimeshe Style, 24-Ounce - which has no matzah or gluten, no MSG,

And Kedem makes one also called 'Kedem Gefilte-Fish "No Matz Meal" - 24 Oz - Kosher Parve' it has no matzah meal in it (thus more fish)

For Frozen rolls, A&B makes one
No Matzah Meal Gefilte fish

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For Matzoh ball soups, I've found that these brands are GF. It's just about locating them as all sources seem to be out of stock right now.

There is Paskesz matzo ball mix, Gluten free

Liebers and Gefen both make a matzoh ball mix that is non gebrokts, gluten free.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Lulav said:
For Matzoh ball soups, I've found that these brands are GF. It's just about locating them as all sources seem to be out of stock right now.

There is Paskesz matzo ball mix, Gluten free

Liebers and Gefen both make a matzoh ball mix that is non gebrokts, gluten free.

They are in stock here
Paskesz matzo ball mix, Gluten free

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't realize how many people were having trouble with gluten. I wonder if it has anything to do with genetically modified foods?:confused:

Abe's Market has gluten-free foods available. I have a link for Abe's Market on my blog and they are having a special deal of 15% off sitewide until 2/14. I have the coupon code for that on my blog is anyone is interested.

the drafty doublewide: Abe's Market Special Deal!

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

Celiac is a genetic condition - been around a few thousand years actually. First reference is in ancient Greek medicinal dialogue..

As for gluten intolerance/sensitivity, the doctors aren't exactly sure if it's just another end of the spectrum before there is villus atrophy, or if it's due to GMO grains and modern (since the 1940s) farming.
(ETA Article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204136404577206891526292590.html)

Lulav, somewhere I have a matzoh-less matzoh ball soup recipe that comes out pretty well. Not sure if it'd be ok for your passover or better for the other part of the year or not. It calls for GF all purpose flour.
If you want, I can send you the recipe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Henaynei! I looked
all over and they were out of stock or the page wouldn't come up. I just went to the local store that carries the most Kosher foods and they haven't started putting out for Passover yet. And there wasn't any in the regular Kosher isle. I'll have to order some. Thanks again! :clap:

Upvote 0